• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor Re:Fantazio | Review Thread

What scores do you think Metaphor: ReFantazio will get?

• 55-60%

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 61-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 48 29.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brenobnfm

I think if they just straight up called this game Shin Megami Tensei: Metaphor I probably wouldn't take such an issue with it. Yes It's nearly identical to Persona in nearly everything except aesthetic of course. And I can't believe I didn't actually make this connection before but there is a lot of Attack on Titan influence in this game as well. I can see why a lot of anime fans would like this. It's familiar to their tastes.

That makes no sense, did you want Red Dead to be called GTA: RDR? Bloodborne Souls? The Elder Scrolls: Fallout? that is the norm if anything, studios are going to keep doing what made them successful, you just want to hate for the sake of it lol

Thief1987

You know, all you had to do was spend 1 minute and type, say - "Persona 5 sales" into Google. And compare them, say, with sales of FF7R or FF7 or FF16. Before writing that Atlus games are selling poorly =)
The whole Persona 5 subseries which include several games and re-releases sold less than FF XV alone. So?

Mayar

What you say is irrelevant, the game is factually above 90 and the GOTY for many people, they might bad decisions regarding the structure of the remake and the exclusivity situation, but quality is not the reason the game isn't selling.
I'm glad you liked the game, the main thing is to play games and enjoy them. That's why they're made, everyone has their favorite and least favorite games. We are people with different tastes and interests. I just don't want Squars to have problems, they haven't been able to release a game that could bring them money for many years. And this is against the backdrop of constant staff cuts, studio closures, etc. And then if everything collapses and becomes really bad, we'll happily watch FF7R have 90 on Metacritic.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm glad you liked the game, the main thing is to play games and enjoy them. That's why they're made, everyone has their favorite and least favorite games. We are people with different tastes and interests. I just don't want Squars to have problems, they haven't been able to release a game that could bring them money for many years. And this is against the backdrop of constant staff cuts, studio closures, etc. And then if everything collapses and becomes really bad, we'll happily watch FF7R have 90 on Metacritic.
I feel like ff14 is a good money-maker for them? Your concern for their financial well-being is nice.

Last edited:

Mayar

The whole Persona 5 subseries which include several games and re-releases sold less than FF XV alone. So?
I see you are very cunning, you are comparing FF15, which by the way also had 2 editions, a regular one and a Royal, it was released twice.
We compare the remakes of Part 7 of the two games, and the remake of Part 7 was also published twice, first on PS4, then on PS5 with DLC.
"Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade have shipped and digitally sold over 7 million copies worldwide."
"Persona 5 (including Royal) had sold over 7.2 million units by April 2023"

That is, Atlus releases games that sell at the same level as games for SE, although they spend significantly less money on their development.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You know how much SE spend on marketing for that game? Even had entire event for its release date (which got delayed).

The amount tease with FFvsXIII and renamed FFXV, it build up crazy amount of anticipation among people.......SE no longer can replicate that with their other titles.

Last edited:
That makes no sense, did you want Red Dead to be called GTA: RDR? Bloodborne Souls? The Elder Scrolls: Fallout? that is the norm if anything, studios are going to keep doing what made them successful, you just want to hate for the sake of it lol
Good point. I did enjoy most of the "Souls" type games by Fromsoft. I get it, Atlus spent many years refining the systems of their previous titles and wanted to do something to include those in a game while separating it from The SMT label.

begotten

"Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade have shipped and digitally sold over 7 million copies worldwide."
"Persona 5 (including Royal) had sold over 7.2 million units by April 2023"

Kind of like the rest of your dribble in here, not really an impressive comparison when Persona 5 was a PS3 game and is Nintendo Switch game.

Danjin44

Why are we arguing Persona vs FF in sales in this thread? So random.
Because GAF can't just celebrate one game without putting another game down.

Story teller difficulty, what else. :messenger_sunglasses:
momo-ayase-dandadan.gif

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

This game has its own velvet room too but with an androgynous bondage dude wearing a beret. They basically lifted everything from Persona but made it ugly. This team is so creatively bankrupt.
My brother the best games are now iterative. Do you not know JRPGs are about the story and experience, not the bullet point technical aspects of the game? I think this game WILL end up being my goty.

It sounds like to me you prefer the new Final Fantasy button mash affairs to traditional turn based or strategic JRPGs and that is okay but we are just two very different people.

While I'm tempted to recommend another game to you as a passive-aggressive slight, instead I'll actually make a real recommendation. There is another path to JRPG greatness that doesn't go thru Atlus. Multiple in fact(<3 Unicorn Overlord).

Go play Xenoblade Chronicles. Amazing games that are a bit less traditional than these. I still prefer Atlus but it feels like you may like JRPGs but just are burned out on these games. XBC could be your goat. No shade. Try em, then come back and give this game a chance when it hits the bargain bin. Who knows, maybe the story will hit a chord.

I'm honestly torn, I love Atlus games, but I'm quite time poor so will play one to death plus all the extra end-game content, then stop playing. But when I hear about the new edition they always release down the line with the extra end-game content or new characters and really wish I just waited, as you always have to start them from scratch, and can't just resume from existing saves, which sucks as I adore these games but don't have 60-70 hours to burn to repeat 80% of old content to see the 20% of new stuff.

So this might be the first Atlus game for a decade I don't get on day one, I'll just try to forget it exists until whatever "Reloaded" version they have down the line. But feels shitty as they are niche titles and I'd usually buy the physical collectors edition to show my support.

Anybody else just feeling bummed by their business model? Is it really that hard to just do regular fucking DLC that can use an existing save, it's annoying that people who didn't care enough to buy it on day one get the better version for less money.

Last edited:
I don't agree at all that this should have gotten higher scores than Persona 3 Reload and Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance but I'm not angry about it. I like it when Atlus games get critical acclaim. The only reason I don't see myself playing Persona M at launch is simply because I already played those other 2 games this year and I need a break from the formula. Also I'm giving them time to patch it on PS5 to fix the frame rate

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm honestly torn, I love Atlus games, but I'm quite time poor so will play one to death plus all the extra end-game content, then stop playing. But when I hear about the new edition they always release down the line with the extra end-game content or new characters and really wish I just waited, as you always have to start them from scratch, and can't just resume from existing saves, which sucks as I adore these games but don't have 60-70 hours to burn to repeat 80% of old content to see the 20% of new stuff.

So this might be the first Atlus game for a decade I don't get on day one, I'll just try to forget it exists until whatever "Reloaded" version they have down the line. But feels shitty as they are niche titles and I'd usually buy the physical collectors edition to show my support.

Anybody else just feeling bummed by their business model? Is it really that hard to just do regular fucking DLC that can use an existing save, it's annoying that people who didn't care enough to buy it on day one get the better version for less money.
In my experience especially when it comes Hashino games, I need to play first version because they usually add mechanics in re-releases that kind screws with game’s difficulty……but that’s just me

Danjin44

I don't agree at all that this should have gotten higher scores than Persona 3 Reload
Demo I played is it was much better experience than Reload. Better difficulty and Press Turn with job system is MUCH better than Persona’s Once more system.

I enjoyed P3 Reload but also felt that it lost all its bite, that new Theurgy system absolutely destroyed this game’s difficulty.

Last edited:
Demo I played is it was much better experience than Reload. Better difficulty and Press Turn with job system is MUCH better than Persona’s Once more system.

I enjoyed P3 Reload but also felt that it lost all its bite, that new Theurgy system absolutely destroyed this game’s difficulty.
I agree but I also mentioned SMTV:V in the rest of that sentence which is the actual original Press Turn that is being used in Metaphor

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Lmao garbage ass take.
You mean the truth? smh, smfh even lol
Man I've seen some bad opinions.

And they often come from EDMIX EDMIX EDMIX EDMIX
lol you mean solid predictions and or da truth lol

You doing ok? 🤣🤣

I'm doing fine, I'm one of the few that accurately predicted the score...annnnnnnd got that special edition on the way lol
HkkhFkw.png

adamsapple adamsapple lol i felt this might score well and felt maybe, just maybe it could be above 93-94 etc so its funny that only 9 had this prediction lol

Last edited:

Mercador

Woah, scores are way higher than I expected (86). But that's the kind of game I want a suspend button so I'll wait the Steam Deck 2.

Is there a review without spoilers?

Last edited:

Lorianus

Any reviews that criticise the UI ?, because all the animations and flickering lights are seriously straining my eyes after prolonged game sessions in the demo.

brenobnfm

Art style is phenomenal but the game on PS5 screams for a Pro mode, the picture quality is seriously taking a bit out of the enjoyment and i'm not paying full price for digital rent on PC.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Any reviews that criticise the UI ?, because all the animations and flickering lights are seriously straining my eyes after prolonged game sessions in the demo.
That comes down to individual people, it might bother some but not others....I personally had zero issue with the UI, in fact i though it looked phenomenal.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Finally played a bit. Can we turn of the "click" sound that plays between text boxes when selecting Auto-Play? It really hampers the flow of the dialog. Voice work and music are nice.

Mozzarella

I think this will win RPG of the year, but Goty will go to Astro Bot.
Great scores, i will try it, wasn't a big fan of Persona 5 despite enjoying it, but i will buy this as well, looks pretty solid.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

I'm really, really struggling to play it with the running motion blur. WHO ON EARTH OK-ed that?! Thankfully the modding community has already patched this out, but good grief...

Top Bottom