• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio is the same length as Persona 5 (110-173 hours long), director says

killatopak

Gold Member
I’m definitely getting the game but this actually worries me.

I’m afraid to be caught off guard by a Royale, Golden, FES treatment after investing that much time. This is from someone with 400 hours playtime on P5R.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I’m definitely getting the game but this actually worries me.

I’m afraid to be caught off guard by a Royale, Golden, FES treatment after investing that much time. This is from someone with 400 hours playtime on P5R.

I agree

You got to be selective on what RPGs you play during the year. I have a cutoff so, if I already plan to play a few, I actually refuse to by anything else.

So, i'm already getting this game and AC Shadows as well as Dragon Quest remake, I'll all RPGed out lol

So I'll have to play KCD2 and Dragon Age some time next year as I just don't have the time.

Seyken

Oof, that means it'll probably have terrible pacing like Persona 5 did. It's one of the major problems with that game and it seems like they're doubling down on it.

Persona 4 has almost 0 fat and remains the best one from that team.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Dayum! And not that I'm complaining, but 170 hours to 100% everything means it might take me the rest of the year to beat it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Need to finish all the shorter games I've started (Astro Bot, Emio and Plucky Squire) before I get completely immersed in Metaphor for 2-3 months.

Hunter 99

I love the Persona series and atlus in general but I can't commit 150-200 hour to games anymore.
I know I will love the first 20-40 hours then I will just lose interest knowing I have another 100 to go.
I like to move on from games when its the time too, but playing the same game for months on end is
I Cant Jenna Fischer GIF by The Office

Kazdane

I'm of the opinion that not everything needs to be a 100 hour epic (because usually they end up being slogs). But this one? If it's half as good as everyone is expecting it (and from what we've seen and how much I've enjoyed Persona games), I can only say
Excited Lets Go GIF by NOW WE'RE TALKING TV SERIES

Mayar

Well, I apologize for what I'm about to say and how it sounds. But Atlus is literally fisting Square Enix in terms of JRPGs right now in this console generation...

Da1337Vinci

Hard to believe how they will manage a good and believeable pace in this setting. In a school setting living your day to day is easily understandable that it will take a long time to ge through.

Last edited:

Raven117

I just need to be ready for that kind of time commitment.

That said, I enjoyed every second of p5 due to that absolutely s-tier soundtrack. I hope they can recreate that magic.

StereoVsn

Yea but if they are cutting the time down to 50 hours it should also take less time to make. Reuse the assets and start # 2 right after.
I mean the mats what SE kind of did with FFVII Remake, but people have been complaining about episodic nature.

Krathoon

The game will make you see Japanese Jesus.

I went ahead and got the collector's edition for the PC version because it looked too cool to pass up.

Mercador

Is it the same engine of P5R? If so, it might runs well on Steam Deck. Tempting but 93.50$ CDN pre tax, almost 108$ CDN with taxes for a single game is bit too much to my taste.

Last edited:

Rambone

I'll give a game 10-40 hours on average before I move on, sometimes it is much less than that. Persona/SMT games always manage to hook me in and I couldn't believe I had put 200 hours into Persona 5 The Royal when I finally finished the game. Lord knows I've got as much time in the latest SMT games as well. As long as Metaphor is as addictive as Persona/SMT games, I'll be down for a 200+ hour game, easily. I'll find the time.

CosmicComet

I look forward to it.

I never cared for Persona or SMT because of the high school protagonist shit.

This seems way more palatable

I have no idea how one can spend 170 hours in persona 5. I got the platinum in Royal in about 110.
Probably because Royal is a much easier version of the original game. My file never went to 170+ but I hit close to 140 on my first playthrough of the OG. But I do a lot of grinding and velvet room stuff, so it depends. If you want to get satanael for example you have to start a second playthrough, and get a good bit into it before you can fuse him.

Zacfoldor

Good. Persona 5 Royal was excellent. Barely wore out its welcome after countless hours. I never even got to min-max anything but had so much play time. More of that. Great game, great characters, great music, great graphics, good gameplay, good story, yes, yes I think I will.

Edit: Also the English VA for P5 was legend. LEGEND!

Last edited:

namenotfound

Neo Member
Pretty hyped. Bought Persona 5 Royal off Steam sale and playing that. By the time that's done, I can buy Persona 3 Reload or SMTV Vengeance on sale, and then after that finishing either or both, buy this game or the latest Like a Dragon game on sale. These games take so long to play that I'm never tempted to buy a game at launch full price

Little Mac

Gold Member
I need a good turn base rpg. I tried the Octopath Traveler 2 demo and I’m tempted to buy it, but Metaphor and Dragon Quest 3 are around the corner and both look pretty bad ass. Not sure.

Lambogenie

Damn. I was interested in this, but Persona 5 (and 4) were seriously too damn long for what they were. 5 was especially bad.

MacReady13

Just curious- I've seen various chatter online in regards to games prices being far too high for such short games (Astro Bot being a recent example). In that being the case, can we expect this game to be worth over $300 at release? Considering it's around 5-10 times the length of Astro Bot does that mean we are happy to pay more for more content?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just curious- I've seen various chatter online in regards to games prices being far too high for such short games (Astro Bot being a recent example). In that being the case, can we expect this game to be worth over $300 at release? Considering it's around 5-10 times the length of Astro Bot does that mean we are happy to pay more for more content?
To me game’s worth is not about length, it about satisfaction.

If the game was satisfying then it was worth the price regardless if only 10 hours or 100 hours.

The day games become $300 at release is the day i stop buying games.

Already headed that way now as i mostly rent games.

When we had the topic about the FF7 Rebirth devs commenting on how long that game was going to be, I made a post that said something like "It's fine if the game has 100 hours of compelling content. I have never played a game that had 100 hours of compelling content."

I still haven't.

Comandr

I'm the kind of guy that can't really juggle multiple games at once. I will focus on one until I'm done with it, one way or another. Played through P5 twice, once with the original at launch on PS4 and again last year on PC with Royal. Towards the end of Royal I found myself just skipping dialog cuz I wanted to be done with it.

Love Atlus and Persona, but probably going to wait for a deep sale on this one. I find the art style of this game kind of garish. And - you know what - I'm going to be honest. I think the UI is mostly bad. I feel like they took inspiration from P5. They clearly continued that with P3R. It just doesn't work here. The choice of Red and.. teal? Clash terribly together, and make a lot of UI elements difficult to read. Certainly not "glanceable"

This...
3ee231d0-2a7b-11ef-affc-3a5539fa411c

Is a mess. There's so much on screen - complicated shapes and contrasting colors.

Getting dangerously close to Xenoblade 3 territory of UI bloat. I would argue that Xenoblade's is actually easier to read, too.
Topple.png

I hope the game is good; certainly for the people really looking forward to it. This has just been one of the least appealing looking Atlus games for me in a long time.

grvg

Cool, another game I want to play but literally never will be able to. I'll add it to the retirement backlog.

Top Bottom