• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

adelante

53o4md.jpg

9kaut4.jpg

28r38mo.jpg

lay41.jpg
Pre-order Metro 2033, for the Xbox 360, and get a gas mask for your Xbox LIVE Avatar.
Access code will be e-mailed within ten business days after the game releases.

lay41.jpg
Pre-purchase through Steam and you'll get a copy of Red Faction Guerrila for free!

2wnbjuo.jpg

lay41.jpg
A Limited Edition will be available for both formats, including:
  • an exclusive in-game weapon, the formidable automatic shotgun
  • four art cards by the Russian painter Anton Grechko, who was commissioned to
    create a range of artwork inspired by the universe of Metro 2033.

26096x3.jpg

First off, all PC versions of Metro 2033 will be powered by Steamworks, providing gamers with auto-updating, Steam Achievements, Steam support
for in-game DLC, and more. With that, here's what you need to run the game:

lay41.jpg
Minimum:
  • Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or better will do)
  • DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant graphics cards (GeForce 8800, GeForce GT220 and above)
  • 1GB RAM
lay41.jpg
Recommended:
  • Any Quad Core or 3.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU
  • DirectX 10 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 260 and above)
  • 2GB RAM
lay41.jpg
Optimum:
  • Core i7 CPU
  • NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
  • As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
  • Fast HDD or SSD

Those who wonder if even their two year-old PC is up to snuff, DO NOT WORRY. Metro 2033’s Chief Technical Officer, Olez Shishkovtsov clarifies:
games.on.net: What are the system requirements to run the game at full detail for a PC user, everything turned on, at 1680 x 1050 resolution?

Olez: At that resolution, the last generation of high end hardware – a single GPU NVIDIA card - will suffice. The new generation of cards
from ATI...with these you can turn everything on, with image enhancing features such as Super Sampling.

Olez: The PC side definitely became more and more optimised as a side effect. For example we don't need as much system memory as other
PC-only games. Anything above 512MB RAM with DX10/DX11 code-path on Windows 7 would be enough.

Olez: The CPU side is slightly more problematic. Because the system is heavily multi-threaded, we need at least two hardware threads for 'smooth'
gameplay. The CPU performance doesn't matter that much, except on a few selected scenes during the whole game as long as it is relatively
modern architecture (not Intel Atom!) and has more than one core.

lay41.jpg
Enabling 3D Vision - Metro 2033 utilizes NVIDIA 3D Vision with compatible cards and hardware.
To play in 3D you will require:
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 and above recommended
  • A 120Hz (or above) monitor
  • NVIDIA 3D Vision kit
  • Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7

For more information on NVIDIA 3D Vision, click here - http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html

We also recommend the biggest and best monitor you can afford, and a home cinema kit or surround sound headphones!

2isiflc.jpg

lay41.jpg
An action-oriented combination of horror, survival, RPG, and shooting, all based on a book written by Russian author Dmitriy Glukhovskiy.

20k2al5.jpg

Buy the Book

Set in the shattered subway of a post apocalyptic Moscow, Metro 2033 is a story of intensive underground survival where the fate of mankind rests in your hands.

In 2013 the world was devastated by an apocalyptic event, annihilating almost all mankind and turning the earth’s surface into a poisonous wasteland. A handful of
survivors took refuge in the depths of the Moscow underground, and human civilization entered a new Dark Age.

The year is 2033. An entire generation has been born and raised underground, and their besieged Metro Station-Cities struggle for survival, with each other, and
the mutant horrors that await outside.

You are Artyom, born in the last days before the fire, but raised Underground. Having never ventured beyond your Metro Station-City limits, one fateful event sparks
a desperate mission to the heart of the Metro system, to warn the remnants of mankind of a terrible impending threat. Your journey takes you from the forgotten
catacombs beneath the subway to the desolate wastelands above, where your actions will determine the fate of mankind.

• Metro 2033 is a gripping, atmospheric first person shooter experience powered by cutting edge technology, featuring full DX10 and NVIDIA PhysX support
    for high-end gaming PCs, to deliver incredible visuals
  • Witness the everyday horrors of a broken society living in constant fear
  • Brave the darkness of the tunnels, where mutants hunt their prey and ghostly spirits lurk
  • Explore the desolate city-surface, trusting your gas mask and rifle to protect you from a poisoned world and the creatures that roam there
  • Steel your nerve and prepare to face the terrors that await

xlky8m.jpg

lay41.jpg
The game boasts stunningly rich lighting effects for both the 360 and PC versions, thanks to the 4A engine. The PC version will offer the following extras:
  • Most of the textures are 2048^2 (consoles use 1024^2).
  • The shadow-map resolution is up to 9.43 Mpix.
  • The shadow filtering is much, much better.
  • The parallax mapping is enabled on all surfaces, some with occlusion-mapping (optional).
  • We've utilised a lot of "true" volumetric stuff, which is very important in dusty environments.
  • From DX10 upwards we use correct "local motion blur", sometimes called "object blur".
  • The light-material response is nearly "physically-correct" on the PC on higher quality presets.
  • The ambient occlusion is greatly improved (especially on higher-quality presets).
  • Sub-surface scattering makes a lot of difference on human faces, hands, etc.
  • The geometric detail is somewhat better, because of different LOD selection, not even counting DX11 tessellation.
  • We are considering enabling global illumination (as an option) which really enhances the lighting model.
    However, that comes with some performance hit, because of literally tens of thousands of secondary light sources.

lay41.jpg
Dive deeper into the tech behind the 4A engine with these tech interviews:
[/URL]

59sxht.jpg

lay41.jpg
XBOX360 SCREENSHOTS (Click for clean high resolution version)

lay41.jpg
PC SCREENSHOTS (Click for clean high resolution version)

lay41.jpg
VIDEOS

lay41.jpg
WALLPAPERS

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Niiiccceee. Unfortunately, can't afford to get this next week. I got a hell of a lot of games to play through anyways.

Thread looks really great. :D

Not day 1 for me just yet. Will probably wait for impressions even though I'm like 80% I'll love it.

Great thread btw and long live Russian games.

adelante

Totobeni said:
awesome thread , day one for the game.

fix the " buy the book " link

And thanks fellas! More exposure this game and its underlying engine gets, the better! :D Oh and if any of you guys're interested, I could make a wallpaper out of the header graphic...just lemme know.

★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★★

more stars!

Stitch

Gold Member
Linkzg said:
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★★
★★★★★

more stars!
excite_stars--article_image.jpg

painey

this game looks great, but I just can't justify full price for a 7 hour game. I will probably rent it, get shit scared and never finish.

Kade

painey said:
this game looks great, but I just can't justify full price for a 7 hour game. I will probably rent it, get shit scared and never finish.

IIRC, the developer speed run was 7 hours. So unless you know where everything is and all the fast routes like the developers, it won't be 7 hours.

dLMN8R

painey said:
What about a 10-hour game?

Oyashiro

Nice job with the OP. I'm not sure if I'm getting this, but it definitely looks interesting. I think I'll wait for reviews/impressions before I make my decision. Plus, I'm already getting a ton of games this month, so... my wallet is begging for a break.

Anyone know when the book comes out in the US? Amazon says it's in a few days, but considering they won't even let you preorder it yet I kind of doubt that's correct.

I'm pumped for this even though I know bugger all about it (on purpose, kind of doing a media-blackout) and I only found out about it last month.

Getting some good vibes, basically.

adelante

MDSLKTR said:
прикольньи тред :D
HARGH where you were when I needed russian translations for section titles!! :lol not that I had enough time putting this thread together anyway hahah

My original plan was to play the game in russian with subs, but i fear that might add too much to the immersion seeing as how the game's supposed to be scary shit, and I wouldn't be able to read properly in frantic moments :(

What an awesome thread. Great Job OP. A fantastic Job.
Metro2033 might be overshadowed by certain bigger titles coming out in these couple weeks but it deserves a 'blockbuster' type of OP to stand out all the same :D

timkunedo

now THIS is an awesome Official Thread! I am so stoked for this game. Absolutely can't wait. Comes at a bad time for me, but i will find a way.

Loxley

Really nice OP, job well done!

I've got the game on pre-order and have been in a media blackout for a couple weeks now, really looking forward to diving into this :D

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
If the Korean 360 version is region free then I'm tempted to make this my first game purchase of 2010.

Daigoro

nice. damn you OP and GAF. im way backed up on games here lately, but the HYPE is definitely getting to me.

i still havent bought Call of Pripyat or the new DOW expansion yet. i think i need to hold off for a while. sadly.

the game looks great.

Top Bottom