• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

mm04

Excellent thread, OP. I'm excited! By Saturday afternoon, I'll have my new rig ready for some PC gaming. It'll be a short wait for the following Friday. Unfortunately, I have a big work deadline on the 17th, so the most I'll be able to do is download and install it till then. But I'll be sure to drop some impressions on the weekend.

adelante

RavenFox said:
Wow this nearly slipped by me. Awesome official thread OP. Wallpapers links aren't working.
Thanks :) this is what happens when u come home from work and straightaway put together this thread til 6am. It's fixed now...:D

squicken

Day one on 360.

What kind of system are we talking about to run the PC version in 3D at 720p @ 60fps? 120 fps? Is it even possible to run this at 1080p at 120 fps?

Swag

Will probably get this week after release when I have money :lol, game looks great though.

Hopefully my 4890 will handle this well at 1080p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Optimum:

* Core i7 CPU
* NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
* As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
* Fast HDD or SSD

I might have to get this just so I can say I found something to use with my 12GB system RAM :D

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Nice OP, don't know too much about this game but it looks pretty damn interesting.

Ruuppa

Awesome op :D

Can't wait to get my hands on some more post-apocalyptic horror(or even just suspense, I'm not picky).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
2real4tv said:
I don't get the RAM spec are they loading the entire game into memory?

Why not? Every game should have the option these days, with RAM prices being what they are.

itxaka

Defeatist
The textures makes the PC version look fuckawesome.

Seriously, those goddamm textures are incredible.

Still, will play it on 360 as my laptop can barely run the Sims 3, so I guess I won't be able to run this :) Plus I got a 10€ off voucher thanks to Darksiders!

mr stroke

nice OP

Optimum:
Core i7 CPU
NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
Fast HDD or SSD

:lol

an unreleased card?

I am surprised this game such a hardware beast(considering it doesn't look any better than BC2 or STALKER IMO)

can't wait to play it though, love the atmosphere

mr stroke said:
nice OP

an unreleased card?

I am surprised this game such a hardware beast(considering it doesn't look any better than BC2 or STALKER IMO)

That is what I am wondering as well. Granted we haven't actually seen most of the game on a high running PC; nevertheless I can't see this looking that much better than the games you mentioned.

Edit: Any word if the SDK will be released or if mods will be available?

AkuMifune

Banned
So, what piques my interest are the people comparing it to Stalker...are they just saying that because its a post-apocalyptic Eastern European-developed FPS or because its gameplay is actually like Stalker in some way? Is this very linear or open world-ish? Any ideas?

squinters

astigmatic
AkuMifune said:
So, what piques my interest are the people comparing it to Stalker...are they just saying that because its a post-apocalyptic Eastern European-developed FPS or because its gameplay is actually like Stalker in some way? Is this very linear or open world-ish? Any ideas?
Like Stalker in the post-apocalyptic Eastern European-developed FPS way. According to all the reviews, Metro 2033 is an extremely linear game, but incredibly atmospheric.

Oreoleo

AkuMifune said:

Well the developers are ex-GSC devs that quit and formed their own team towards the end of STALKER's dev cycle. All signs point to it being a very linear game unlike STALKER, but as you've noted the setting and atmosphere will be quite similar, presumably.

Tokubetsu

AkuMifune said:
That's still enough to keep me interested, just hoping for a difficult open world Stalker-type game on my couch. :D

But it's not open-world.

Great OP, I'll be there day one, posting screens in the PC ss thread. Hopefully it runs well on my 4870s, 8 gigs of ram and quad core :lol

Is controller support (360 preferably) in for PC sku? I don't have 5.1 for my PC setup, but if I can play it through my tv (at a higher resolution to boot) than I can enjoy the IQ from the PC version and the surround sound.

edit: Okay. My bad. Just did google check which did indeed confirm controller support. Nothing specifically about 360 support, but I should have checked first.

Oreoleo

kamspy said:
Well god damn. I actually finally got rewarded for an early preoreder.

It went up to $45 maybe a little less than a week ago or so. I was kinda torn on whether to pull the trigger on it and ended up being miffed when I saw it go up that extra $10 so your post got me a little excited again :( Anyway the rumors of having a pre-load is pretty awesome and just might make up for the $50 price tag if true.

adelante

Hahah thanks..Just happy to let more of GAF know of your awesome efforts on the visual tech front! Especially from a relatively new and small dev team :D

Ricker

The link to the ``buy the book`` does not work,also I wonder does the book follow the same telling of the game,or is it a sequel/prequel type thing...

adelante

Ricker said:
The link to the ``buy the book`` does not work,also I wonder does the book follow the same telling of the game,or is it a sequel/prequel type thing...
DOH...last time I amended that, I didn't click "Save Changes"...should work now haha

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
mr stroke said:

an unreleased card?

Doesn't look any better than STALKER?

When was the last time you played STALKER? Most next gen releases in the last two years have looked significantly better than STALKER. STALKER: CoP is not only not impressive, but ugly. Clear Sky is a bit better, but still.

BC2 is missing some features graphically. No motion blur and whatnot. Smaller foliage not casting shadows.

squicken said:
Day one on 360.

What kind of system are we talking about to run the PC version in 3D at 720p @ 60fps? 120 fps? Is it even possible to run this at 1080p at 120 fps?

At 360 quality? A GTX 260 should manage that with little problem I'd imagine. Obviously if you want to crank the game to the absolute max and run it in 3D mode to boot then you're going to have to be rocking a GTX 295 or Fermi.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I highly suggest these few quotes quote from the game's technology lead is added to the PC requirements section of the op. They're a lot more informative than the actual official requirements are.

Olez said:
games.on.net: What are the system requirements to run the game at full detail for a PC user, everything turned on, at 1680 x 1050 resolution?

Olez: At that resolution, the last generation of high end hardware – a single GPU NVIDIA card - will suffice. The new generation of cards from ATI... With these you can turn everything on, with image enhancing features such as Super Sampling.

Oles Shishkovsto: Chief technical officer at 4A Games.

The PC side definitely became more and more optimised as a side effect. For example we don't need as much system memory as other PC-only games. Anything above 512MB RAM with DX10/DX11 code-path on Windows 7 would be enough.

"The CPU side is slightly more problematic. Because the system is heavily multi-threaded, we need at least two hardware threads for 'smooth' gameplay. The CPU performance doesn't matter that much, except on a few selected scenes during the whole game as long as it is relatively modern architecture (not Intel Atom!) and has more than one core."

Quotes from here and the DF article.

So basically, the "recommended" specs are for what most would traditionally class as what you'll need to "max out" the game. The "optimum" specs are for bonus stuff like 3D Vision, super sampling, tessellation and possibly full global illumination.

Top Bottom