• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

What does "Страх грядущего" mean? I know "Страх" is fear, but what does "грядущего" mean (my knowledge of Russian/Ukraine is a bit weak, so I'm not sure how it's spelled in it's infinitive :lol)?

adelante

Hausmeister

Neo Member
Lagspike_exe said:
What does "Страх грядущего" mean? I know "Страх" is fear, but what does "грядущего" mean (my knowledge of Russian/Ukraine is a bit weak, so I'm not sure how it's spelled in it's infinitive :lol)?

Without speaking any russian or something similar, I'd say "Страх грядущего" means "fear the future".. how do I know? It stands next to it in the OP :D I could be wrong though..

Hausmeister said:
Without speaking any russian or something similar, I'd say "Страх грядущего" means "fear the future".. how do I know? It stands next to it in the OP :D I could be wrong though..

Yeah, that's probably it. :lol

ruxtpin

Banned
Awesome thread adelante.

I've got this game on pre-order from Amazon for my 360 and I can't wait! w00... What a month.

Lagspike_exe said:
"Грядущее" means "the future", so "Страх грядущего" literally means "The fear of the future".

mr stroke said:
nice OP

:lol

an unreleased card?

I am surprised this game such a hardware beast(considering it doesn't look any better than BC2 or STALKER IMO)

can't wait to play it though, love the atmosphere
:lol :lol :lol

Sorry dude, I suck BC2's dick in my free time, but Metro's graphics blow it away.

Hrnm.... Setting and visuals look top notch, buuuut the linearity is a real turn off, I'll have to wait for impressions from the PC-GAF members whose tastes coincide with mine before purchasing... that or a Steam deal of the day

LOVE & TRUTH said:
"Грядущее" means "the future", so "Страх грядущего" literally means "The fear of the future".

Thanks.

54-46!

Sort of want this, if it's semi open world and mission based? but hearing about the insane system requirements for the "optimal setting", not so sure..

My PC:
Phenom II X4 955
4890HD
4GB RAM
Win 7

Bi50N

Scipius said:
So, Bi50n, what are the plans on DLC?

We've got some ideas... Nothing concrete though.

If we do do anything, it's unlikely to be more narrative content - the game has a start, middle and end out of the box...

Beyond that, usual telling but having to be killing rules apply.

54-46! said:
Sort of want this, if it's semi open world and mission based? but hearing about the insane system requirements for the "optimal setting", not so sure..

My PC:
Phenom II X4 955
4890HD
4GB RAM
Win 7

You know, reading the op would probably serve you well.

Kabuki Waq said:
well optimal usually mean 60 fps with all the bell's and whistles right? if the console version is at 30fps those requirements seem pretty reasonable.

Minimum requirements will net you better than 360 graphics/performance. Recommended is what most would class as required to "max out" the game (even though that term is stupid imo). Optimal is for extra stuff like 3D vision and inengine supersampling.

Scipius

Bi50N said:
We've got some ideas... Nothing concrete though.

If we do do anything, it's unlikely to be more narrative content - the game has a start, middle and end out of the box...

Beyond that, usual telling but having to be killing rules apply.

I was hoping for "none whatsoever", but oh well. Hopefully you'll follow Valve's example as much as possible :D

What about the future? If it's a success, will Metro 2034 be the basis for the sequel? Some other franchise?

As everyone else has said, awesome OP! This game looks awesome, but I can't quite afford any more games this month. But, I do have it in my Q with Gamefly. So I'll be there on day three! :D

My wife is looking forward to this more than U am though. She's been craving another post-apocolyptic game since she beat Fallout 3!

Tokubetsu

Polish limited edition apparently:
1zdrhab.png

A real gas mask with 2 filters.

dolemite

Lagspike_exe said:
While Fear the Future is certainly correct, "Fear what's to come" would be a more literal translation.

timkunedo

totally torn between the pc and xbox version. gonna looks sooooo good on pc, but honestly the 360 version doesn't look bad at all.....plus i can sit on my couch and play it on the big screen.

timkunedo said:
totally torn between the pc and xbox version. gonna looks sooooo good on pc, but honestly the 360 version doesn't look bad at all.....plus i can sit on my couch and play it on the big screen.

PC version is couch compatible too (
full plug and play 360 controller support
).

adelante

As some would suggest, there really is no reason for you to not get the PC version if you have a capable enough rig. Unfortunately I don't, despite being a self-confessed graphics nut (I really can't wait to upgrade my 5 year old computer). But at the same time I'm quite contented with the fact that 4A Games has achieved a level of visual fidelity that's unlike anything else I've seen on the 360 (well, apart from Remedy's upcoming Alan Wake).

panda21

sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere but will we be able to have the original voice acting with english subtitles, rather than someone trying to do a russian accent in english? i like it in stalker when they randomly start talking in russian, but all the time would be even better :lol

adelante

panda21 said:
sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere but will we be able to have the original voice acting with english subtitles, rather than someone trying to do a russian accent in english? i like it in stalker when they randomly start talking in russian, but all the time would be even better :lol
I believe they've mentioned before that we're able to play with Russian VO + English subs...perhaps Bi50N could help double confirm this?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EviLore said:
PC devs can't win...
I just received an ATI 5870 in the mail yesterday, so I'm now ready! :D

I don't fully understand the high requirements myself, however, as the game doesn't really look all that amazing and the environments are very close quarters.

Bi50N

adelante said:
I believe they've mentioned before that we're able to play with Russian VO + English subs...perhaps Bi50N could help double confirm this?

Yup. All versions have a Russian voice option with English / localised subtitles

If you're playing any English language version, I'd recommend using English voice for your first play through. We used US actors but of Russian origin for all the voices, and although I'm not a fan of all of them I think the overall standard is really high... Some characters - like Khan, the guys you saw in the 'Ghosts' trailer, are just great...

On a similar topic - switch off the crosshairs when you play

Scoring a one-hit kill at range with the throwing knife, no crosshairs, is a godly feeling :)

adelante

dark10x said:

I don't fully understand the high requirements myself, however, as the game doesn't really look all that amazing and the environments are very close quarters.
Personally I find this particular screenshot VERY impressive:

if0flw.jpg

I care more for effects than IQ and what I love more than anything else is dynamic lighting.....and shadows. Lots of it. Nothing irks me more than seeing a simple muzzle flash not lighting/glistening a gun barrel up. Or seeing interactive objects laid on a table but casting no shadows underneath. It's the same reason why I'll always prefer COD:MW2's lighting more than a lot of games out there that's powered by Unreal or Source (short of mods and the heavily-retooled version of Unreal that's used for the upcoming Medal of Honor reboot).

The number of light sources in that scene alone was what stood out for me, each casting its own shadow volumes, tint & specular highlights. Like I've mentioned before, even Bioshock 2 doesn't come that close to having a scene so realistically lit despite being set in confined environments. And to think that this shot was taken off an xbox360 build :)

EagleEyes

This is one impressive looking game on the 360 and the PC. Its a shame its not getting more buzz here on the forums because from what i've seen it deserves it.

adelante

First gasmask, now bullet flashdrives?? MAN you guys get all kinds of crazy preorder deals...I'll have to be contented with getting just the game..don't even know if the limited edition version will make its way here :(

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
brain_stew said:
Minimum requirements will net you better than 360 graphics/performance. Recommended is what most would class as required to "max out" the game (even though that term is stupid imo). Optimal is for extra stuff like 3D vision and inengine supersampling.
It seems the current trend is to set 'minimum specs' at a level that would give you solid 30fps at medium settings at 720p with a decent amount of AA. The Just Cause 2 minimum requirements are way above my laptop specs, but the demo runs fine at 720p.

Malio

Game looks righteous. Screens are very nice. Looks like a Fallout 3 vibe (shocking), but hopefully it will prove to be it's own game. Bring on the PC goodness!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One thing I'm wondering about is gamepad support on the PC. As this is also an X360 game, gamepad support would be a fantastic addition. Without it, the appeal of the PC version shrinks significantly for me. :\

kitch9

Banned
dark10x said:

Its a TWIMPTB game, I fully expect ATI's finest to be nerfed in some obscure way like the Batman fiasco.

(I really dislike Nvidia ATM....:lol )

Top Bottom