• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
is it ok to start with last light or is starting with the first game needed for the storyline to make sense?
Start with 2033.

Which in pretty sure just fried my GPU. :( Like, it's dead.

JimPanzer

So, I played Last Light on my PC at these settings: tesselation medium, SSAA off, PhysX off, everything else highest.
How does the PS4 version of redux version compare to the vanilla PC version with these settings graphically?

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying it so far, this is my first visit to the Metro (and doing it on XB1), is it just me or are some animations are a bit janky, for example you could kill an enemy while they are half way through an attack animation, they seem to have to finish that animation off before going into the death one?

I'm loving the setting though and enjoying listening to the NPCs chat and learn more about the world.

In regards to the others posting about long load times on XB1 I think the worst I've has it about 30 seconds, nothing other that (installed on external USB 3.0 hard drive).

One other thing, I've cranked it up to max but movement/aiming seems really, REALLY slow, anyone else feel this?

Sober

Finished it on Spartan Hardcore. Pretty damn fun. Although I dunno how much military grade ammo I would've gotten if I set it to survival or even Spartan normal. Had like 800 or so left by the time I got to ending. Didn't really use any until
the librarians which were really fun and tense to fight

Putty

There's a new DF article with a very insightful interview with the devs. Misterxmedia will be scrambling to grab another diagram on why the devs have got it wrong ...

Shredderi

Really enjoying it so far, this is my first visit to the Metro (and doing it on XB1), is it just me or are some animations are a bit janky, for example you could kill an enemy while they are half way through an attack animation, they seem to have to finish that animation off before going into the death one?

I'm loving the setting though and enjoying listening to the NPCs chat and learn more about the world.

In regards to the others posting about long load times on XB1 I think the worst I've has it about 30 seconds, nothing other that (installed on external USB 3.0 hard drive).

One other thing, I've cranked it up to max but movement/aiming seems really, REALLY slow, anyone else feel this?

It's not just you. I alwayd noticed this and it looked pretty funny to me. I wonder why they couldn't fix that.

Hollow

Been playing it all day. Image quality on PS4 is amazing and that framerate.

Only issue I'm having at the moment is the low look sensitivity. I've got it maxed out and it's still too slow.

Pimpbaa

The image quality is very impressive on PS4. High res textures everywhere with good AF and one of the best post process AA solutions I've seen so far.

And 60fps. I'm so used to wildly varying frame rates and poor console ports in Eastern European games. But 4A Games really bucks the trend. I hope redux sells well, they really deserve it plus I want to see more games from them.

AMD GameDVR doesn't work with this game apparently, I almost had a funny webm of an enemy getting impaled with a bolt then falling on the ground and start twerking like nobodies business, I'm talking so fast the motion blur was activated.

Nizz

Been playing it all day. Image quality on PS4 is amazing and that framerate.

Only issue I'm having at the moment is the low look sensitivity. I've got it maxed out and it's still too slow.
I've only played a little of 2033 but I agree on both points. Game looks amazing and runs smooth as silk.

I've also maxed out both the aim and general sensitivity and like you it still feels a bit slow to me. Guess I'll just have to adjust.

You missed a golden opportunity by not having a Berlin reference in the OT title OP.

Anyways I'll pick up my copy tomorrow once school starts. I'm excited! I got Metro 2033 back when THQ was about to croak and they were handing out Metro codes like they were candy, but my computer ran it like ass. This is a much appreciated remaster, since I love these moody atmospheric games with a slant towards horror and hardcore gameplay.

The Chef

How the hell do I out my mask on!? Ps4.
There are NO button promps which is great and until I need to know how to do something

I'm seriously just standing here trying every button and combination I can think of. :/

Edit: pushed every button. Held down on each direction. Swiped finger around on touch pad, pressed it. Mashed joysticks. Tried elaborate button combinations. Omg this is so stupid.

Hurley

There are NO button promps which is great and until I need to know how to do something

I'm seriously just standing here trying every button and combination I can think of. :/

L1+Square and L1+X for filter.

Hold L1 for all the button prompts. I believe the mask is square while holding L1.

Edit: beaten.

The Chef

Thanks guys.
Yeah I did ranger mode off the bat. Bad idea?
The fact it took this long to put my mask on isn't inspiring a lot of confidence in myself.

Nodnol

Played for a few hours and reached Dead City.

Thoroughly enjoying it so far, a great change of pace to most FPS' I've played recently.

The Chef

Ok I think I'm going to start over and not do ranger hardcore. I'm all over the idea but the lack of any button prompts is just plain nutty for a newcomer.

UnrealEck

Isn't 0.5x essentially 1/2 of 1080p then? I've seen one person that posted gameplay with a GTX 760, but he was using 0.5x SSAA, and people were commenting on how great the game runs :/

It depends on the resolution. If you've set the game to run at 1920x1080, using 4x for example will be like running the game at 3840x2160.

Liamc723

Ok I think I'm going to start over and not do ranger hardcore. I'm all over the idea but the lack of any button prompts is just plain nutty for a newcomer.

That's your fault, the absolute hardest difficulty isn't designed for a complete newcomer to the game.

This game has caused multiple "driver" to dektop crashes for me. Which almost never happens.

I can assume something the game is doing is making the driver go nuts at certain times. Definitely not an unstable core voltage / overclock. As other demanding / more demanding GPU applications have ran for hours without this problem.

That's your fault, the absolute hardest difficulty isn't designed for a complete newcomer to the game.

Well, there is an options menu which describes what buttons do... and all and any QTEs are space bar or "e." Right?

leng jai

So a newcomer is supposed to experiment with random button combinations to figure out how to turn on a flashlight?
Gotcha.

Well yeah, that mode isn't meant for your first play through. There are a few games which have immersive/hardcore modes where the prompts don't come up on screen, like The Last Of Us on survivor for example.

Kssio_Aug

So a newcomer is supposed to experiment with random button combinations to figure out how to turn on a flashlight?
Gotcha.

No. A newcomer should start at any difficult but Ranger Hardcore, that if Im not wrong is the only difficult that shows no prompts at all.

Izuna

Banned
I wasted my money on this. I bought both because I liked the idea, but gunplay is horrible and honestly, while this game has clear IQ and good textures, the art-style is bland and lighting is not all that.

Solid 60 fps cannot save this game, and the way you have to hold LB to use your equipment made trying Ranger mode for the first time extremely infuriating. What's the point having a mode like that if it is only playable if you have been through this game before? At least tell me the controls before I begin.

Going to give it another go from the start to see if I just "played it wrong" but the game doesn't challenge the player in a way that makes it rewarding. If you can make headshots you're pretty much sorted, player movement isn't really important.

Oh and I turned off all of the aim assist.

A newcomer shouldn't be playing at that difficulty anyway, it's meant for players who have experience with the game.

Bullshit, I bought the game because Ranger mode sounded fun.

dkpunk

Banned
Metro 2033 looks/runs bloody amazing on xb1. Loving it so far. I'm playing ranger hard core my first play through and it's fine. I had to look up how to use the mask and first aid but it hasn't been that difficult.

Izuna

Banned
This is the first game on XB1 that made me hate LCDs all over again. I have a perfect contrast ratio but these black levels are bad =( I wish I could pay even 500 for a good 1080p CRT.

--

I know XB1 isn't all that, but being unable to cast shadows with a flashlight along with infrequent updating framerate enemy shadows still makes me think this game is simply for PC only. Kinda pointless having a game all about its graphics when it misses certain important features.

Complaining about ranger mode not showing you how to play the game is kinda silly... doesnt it say directly in the warning that it is only for "eperienced players" or something?

Izuna

Banned
Complaining about ranger mode not showing you how to play the game is kinda silly... doesnt it say directly in the warning that it is only for "eperienced players" or something?

It also says it is the "Ultimate Metro Experience" -- why wouldn't I pick that? I'm not going through this game twice!

3bdelilah

Banned
These games really intrigue with the apparently survival feeling with (not sure if true) stealth, and obviously I'll start with 2033. But, besides the visuals, what are the main differences between vanilla 2033 and the Redux version? I think I've read something about having changed something (apparently for the better) about the gameplay.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, sure it sounds fun, and I will take a shot at it too, but it is not intended for your first playthrough, simple as that.

If Ranger mode was to increase the difficulty like Ninja Gaiden Black's Master Ninja Mode, hiding certain abilities unless you unlock certain things in the game and forcing you to master other weapons and enemy patterns, SURE.

But Ranger mode is simply annoying only due to it not ever letting you know the controls at the start, not because it is challenging or hiding the HUD.

The intro should be there to let you know the controls like it always was supposed to, then Ranger mode should kick in afterwards. Sort of like Hardcore mode in New Vegas not letting you die of hunger while you choose your stats!

Top Bottom