• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

dkpunk

Banned
These games really intrigue with the apparently survival feeling with (not sure if true) stealth, and obviously I'll start with 2033. But, besides the visuals, what are the main differences between vanilla 2033 and the Redux version? I think I've read something about having changed something (apparently for the better) about the gameplay.

Taken from the DF interview.

Digital Foundry: Metro Redux isn't just a port, it's been improved. How did you choose which improvements to make and did the design of the consoles have anything to do with those choices?

Oles Shishkovstov: Since Metro Last Light hit the shelves we've collected numerous improvement suggestions from our players in order to include them in Metro Redux. The power of the new consoles also allowed us to improve the games in the field most critical to gameplay, especially gunplay and general feel - for example combat and cut-scenes became smoother, and controls became much more responsive. Besides that, the new incarnation of Metro 2033 enjoys a lot of the upgrades introduced in Metro: Last Light: new weapons and their upgrades, improved stealth mode viability and takedowns, improved AI with its more realistic behaviour, and the improved visuals etc..

Liamc723

If Ranger mode was to increase the difficulty like Ninja Gaiden Black's Master Ninja Mode, hiding certain abilities unless you unlock certain things in the game and forcing you to master other weapons and enemy patterns, SURE.

But Ranger mode is simply annoying only due to it not ever letting you know the controls at the start, not because it is challenging or hiding the HUD.

The intro should be there to let you know the controls like it always was supposed to, then Ranger mode should kick in afterwards. Sort of like Hardcore mode in New Vegas not letting you die of hunger while you choose your stats!

It assumes you know the controls already because as everyone has stated, it's not intended for your first playthrough of the game to be done on Ranger,

Kssio_Aug

It also says it is the "Ultimate Metro Experience" -- why wouldn't I pick that? I'm not going through this game twice!

But theres nothing stopping you, there is? You can, it is unlocked from the start. Just dont make much sense the lack of UI complains.

Izuna

Banned
It assumes you know the controls already because as everyone has stated, it's not intended for your first playthrough of the game to be done on Ranger,

This isn't really a defence, it just explains why it happened. When they introduced Ranger mode during testing, they didn't forget how the buttons worked and didn't realise that first timers won't find it just difficult.

In the first chapter a dude puts a gun on a table. I was supposed to pick it up. It took be 30 minutes of pressing every combination known to man before ultimately thinking I was lost or the game was bugged. I loaded it up without Ranger only to find that I was supposed to HOLD X.

Are we supposed to memorise these context sensitive QTEs? Or is it simply only that one part in the game with that silly requirement?

It's not simply bad design, because 16bit games never came with instructions, but saying that you're supposed to be attracted to playing the game through twice makes no sense. What if someone played it first on PC and then wanted to play on console? Even then the controls wouldn't be intuitive.

EDIT: If you play the game crouching, it is a bit like playing Killzone because of the height of your character lol.

Watevaman

This isn't really a defence, it just explains why it happened. When they introduced Ranger mode during testing, they didn't forget how the buttons worked and didn't realise that first timers won't find it just difficult.

In the first chapter a dude puts a gun on a table. I was supposed to pick it up. It took be 30 minutes of pressing every combination known to man before ultimately thinking I was lost or the game was bugged. I loaded it up without Ranger only to find that I was supposed to HOLD X.

Are we supposed to memorise these context sensitive QTEs? Or is it simply only that one part in the game with that silly requirement?

It's not simply bad design, because 16bit games never came with instructions, but saying that you're supposed to be attracted to playing the game through twice makes no sense. What if someone played it first on PC and then wanted to play on console? Even then the controls wouldn't be intuitive.

uh, it is a defense because of what he just said. the game is not intended to be played on ranger hardcore as a first playthrough, so they stripped everything to make it all a uniform experience.

would adding control prompts at the beginning ruin the experience? maybe not, but it keeps it consistent.

Izuna

Banned
Didn't realise how "no crosshairs" made little difference in the days of ADS.

uh, it is a defense because of what he just said. the game is not intended to be played on ranger hardcore as a first playthrough, so they stripped everything to make it all a uniform experience.

would adding control prompts at the beginning ruin the experience? maybe not, but it keeps it consistent.

It wouldn't, and better than being consistent, it would make sense. Otherwise I am recommending my friends to play the intro once without Ranger mode then restart the game.

Is it that hard to understand that a whole bunch of people who haven't played it before like the idea of Ranger mode but don't want to play through twice to experience it? When the game would be easy as hell since they know what's coming, and thus making Ranger mode kinda pointless?

When you call it the Utimate (Immersive) way to experience Metro, it stops people from wanting to play through on the other modes. Just like Viewtiful Joe calling normal mode "Kids Mode" and hard "Adult"

My PS4 copy is waiting for me at the game shop. Everyone enjoying this so far?

Also, which should I play first and how do they differ?

I played roughly a third of Last Light on PS3 when it was a free PS+ game and loved what I played...but I'm not sure if I should start with that or go for 2033?

Decisions! HELP!

I've asked this question twice now. Nobody has any insights? Really?

Liamc723

Well you'd know what to do if you had first played it through on an easier difficulty, let's say normal, because you know, that's the average difficulty that the developers expect first time players to choose.

It doesn't matter if it's the "Ultimate Metro experience" or if you don't think players should have to play a game twice, Ranger mode is there for players looking for the hardest experience possible, after they have already played through the game and know what to expect. It is not for first time players, who have no grasp on the controls.

Izuna

Banned
Well you'd know what to do if you had first played it through on an easier difficulty, let's say normal, because you know, that's the average difficulty that the developers expect first time players to choose.

It doesn't matter if it's the "Ultimate Metro experience" or if you don't think players should have to play a game twice, Ranger mode is there for players looking for the hardest experience possible, after they have already played through the game and know what to expect. It is not for first time players, who have no grasp on the controls.

You said it again. You mentioned Ranger in terms of difficulty. Hiding controls [in a prologue] isn't difficulty.

We have terms like Hardcore for "the experienced player" and "Ultimate" because this is the way people who have grown up with games and find FPS these days a relative breeze to play through are attracted to.

Similar reason to why people love to play a game just because it is meant to be insanely difficult, when they mention Ranger mode in their comparison trailer it gets certain kinds of gamers excited.

You can kill the player in a million ways that seem unfair, but having the player reach a QTE prompt without any knowledge of how they even work in the game is bad.

It's a 20 minute problem, so I can see why you can be all "it's not really an issue". To be honest it isn't an issue for me anymore because I did go through the prologue without Ranger. It doesn't make it any less silly.

As I mentioned, people coming from PC to console would have the same issue.

EDIT: We are talking about the same mode which pops up dialogue choices not being right for showing you the controls in a prologue for pete's sake.

Liamc723

You said it again. You mentioned Ranger in terms of difficulty. Hiding controls [in a prologue] isn't difficulty.

We have terms like Hardcore for "the experienced player" and "Ultimate" because this is the way people who have grown up with games and find FPS these days a relative breeze to play through are attracted to.

Similar reason to why people love to play a game just because it is meant to be insanely difficult, when they mention Ranger mode in their comparison trailer it gets certain kinds of gamers excited.

You can kill the player in a million ways that seem unfair, but having the player reach a QTE prompt without any knowledge of how they even work in the game is bad.

It's a 20 minute problem, so I can see why you can be all "it's not really an issue". To be honest it isn't an issue for me anymore because I did go through the prologue without Ranger. It doesn't make it any less silly.

As I mentioned, people coming from PC to console would have the same issue.

EDIT: We are talking about the same mode which pops up dialogue choices not being right for showing you the controls in a prologue for pete's sake.

Ranger Hardcore states that the HUD is completely disabled, so this isn't the game's fault. You knew what you were getting into, so you only have yourself to blame when it comes to not knowing what to do.

Izuna

Banned
Ranger Hardcore states that the HUD is completely disabled, so this isn't the game's fault. You knew what you were getting into, so you only have yourself to blame when it comes to not knowing what to do.

At the very least read what I posted. Ranger mode isn't even hiding every prompt or "hint". But okay then, let's go with that.

You shouldn't play Ranger mode to begin with, because otherwise you won't know the controls.

Domstercool

Is it a direct sequel? What's different about the game play from one to the next?

Direct sequel. Play as same character after the ending of the first game.

It would be like watching LOTR: Two Towers and then watching Fellowship of the Ring after.

Thanks to the upgrade to Metro 2033, they both play very similar now and feel like one unified adventure. Although, Last Light does come across feeling more action inspired with some of the scenarios that are set up for the player.

The Chef

I restarted it and selected the a difficulty that would allow for a HUD and I have to say...I hate it. That brief time I was playing it on Ranger Hardcore I reallly did feel immersed in it. Its funny how the second you see a [ ] and a hand on a cabinet to open it or an ammo count in the bottom right just completely pulls you from the experience

So, I think I may try and do hardcore again...and just reference the controls from my phone or something if I forget anything.

Is there anything else I should know?
Is there a way to tell how much ammo I have? Flashlight battery? Health?

Izuna

Banned
I restarted it and selected the a difficulty that would allow for a HUD and I have to say...I hate it. That brief time I was playing it on Ranger Hardcore I reallly did feel immersed in it. Its funny how the second you see a [ ] and a hand on a cabinet to open it or an ammo count in the bottom right just completely pulls you from the experience

So, I think I may try and do hardcore again...and just reference the controls from my phone or something if I forget anything.

If you press view or "select" and hold RT or "R2" you can view pretty much everything except the controls when you hold LB or "L1".

Oh and a lot of the time there are QTEs, just keep tapping X if something comes at you and you die for some reason.

I thought that reloading half a clip made you lose ammo but it isn't the case. I am currently playing through Chapter 2 (I think) using only melee, I sold everything and upgraded my pistol with the silencer since everything so far dies in a single headshot.

ammo - you can see how many bullets/projectiles are in your magazine
flashlight - it gets really dim when close to going out
health - jelly on screen and artyom panting heavily, duh.

Izuna

Banned
=( Player shadows only on certain lights, low res and no player shadow on the floor. Cannot see character's legs nor does PC hold weapon up towards the wall.

Immersive isn't really what I would give this game. Atmospheric for sure however.

Izuna

Banned
Great, thanks for the help.

When looting enemies, you can pick up their weapon by holding X. Just found that out myself. But be careful, you can only hold two guns it at a time it seems. If you accidentally drop your upgraded weapon it will be where you dropped it, hold X to swap it out again.

That being said, the first firefight with humans was unbelievably easy. Was like I was in cloak fighting grunts from Titanfall.

EDIT: I think I will turn off the music.

Pro-tip, if you have a teammate, just run away when there is a battle and wait. He is invincible and will kill everything.

Kssio_Aug

=( Player shadows only on certain lights, low res and no player shadow on the floor. Cannot see character's legs nor does PC hold weapon up towards the wall.

Immersive isn't really what I would give this game. Atmospheric for sure however.

About as fun as watching a playthrough. imo

OH GOD you are invisible when crouching.

So if the controller doesn't vibrate, your execution can be seen by others? Good to know I have ninja powers.

Lol! I cant understand how can someone keep playing something that is clearly not enjoying at all. Dont do it to yourself dude!

For me, this game is pretty damn immersive and plays very well! I'd easily recommend it (Xone version).

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
havent played the games yet but can not wait however i watched this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aseVclRfrdE&list=UU6NhV2JOJr6pPGj1Q5m2eHg

and he is right to a point through all the enhancements with graphics it seems we are lacking in the little details that made games believable. Im not sure if metro does any of these things but i want to see gaming come back to the details whether if its an enemy limping from being shot, holding a gun up cus your by a wall etc.

Has anyone actually read the novel? I want to now!
Metro_2033_russian_book_front_cover.jpg

Izuna

Banned
Lol! I cant understand how can someone keep playing something that is clearly not enjoying at all. Dont do it to yourself dude!

For me, this game is pretty damn immersive and plays very well! I'd easily recommend it (Xone version).

I think I'll put this in my backlog like I did with Dread Space 2, and probably not return.

Not the game for me. The setting might have been all I need to enjoy it but I already played a bunch of Fallout.

Metro_2033_russian_book_front_cover.jpg

I swear when this game was first being shown, the lead designer in an interview or something (it was with GameSpot) said he didn't bother reading the novel either haha.

Watevaman

Didn't realise how "no crosshairs" made little difference in the days of ADS.

It wouldn't, and better than being consistent, it would make sense. Otherwise I am recommending my friends to play the intro once without Ranger mode then restart the game.

Is it that hard to understand that a whole bunch of people who haven't played it before like the idea of Ranger mode but don't want to play through twice to experience it? When the game would be easy as hell since they know what's coming, and thus making Ranger mode kinda pointless?

When you call it the Utimate (Immersive) way to experience Metro, it stops people from wanting to play through on the other modes. Just like Viewtiful Joe calling normal mode "Kids Mode" and hard "Adult"

Knowing where and what is coming doesn't make ranger mode any easier. The challenge comes in the immersion and scarcity of resources.

edit: And have you not played through Metro before? How are you so certain you won't want to play through it again? Both Metro games have gotten multiple playthroughs by me with different languages, difficulties, strategies, etc. and that's pretty rare for a game to get me to do.

Izuna

Banned
Knowing where and what is coming doesn't make ranger mode any easier. The challenge comes in the immersion and scarcity of resources.

I'm having a hard time trying to understand this.

But yeah, Ranger Mode isn't just about hiding the controls in the prologue and the rest of the game, it supposedly makes the game more immersive right? So why wouldn't I pick it?

I am wondering when the difficult comes in though. Wolfenstein took 6 chapters, is this game like that? Because atm enemies are pretty easy and I am swimming in ammo.

valkyre

Really interested in buying this game and I have a gameplay question and a technical question for those who own the game:

a) How is the pacing of the game? I saw some gameplay clips and I witnessed parts where enemies just kept coming and coming and coming. Is the gameplay characterized by being repetitive, or is the pacing such that it has quiet and hectic moments, that makes it fun?

b) How is the game in regards to pop in? I seriously despise when things get popped in my screen when moving around.

Thanks

Izuna

Banned
Really interested in buying this game and I have a gameplay question and a technical question for those who own the game:

a) How is the pacing of the game? I saw some gameplay clips and I witnessed parts where enemies just kept coming and coming and coming. Is the gameplay characterized by being repetitive, or is the pacing such that it has quiet and hectic moments, that makes it fun?

b) How is the game in regards to pop in? I seriously despise when things get popped in my screen when moving around.

Thanks

1. Pacing seems great so far, about 2 hours in. It takes its time for sure.
2. I have only seen one decal artefact, other than that, no visible pop in since I wasn't really looking for any.

Newboi

K if anyone is having microstuttering/stuttering issues, found a fix in the steam discussion forums. My game is now stutter free:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Windows-7-amp-Core-Parking-a-better-way-to-Turn-It-OFF-m1861804.aspx

My system is also Win 8, but it still worked.

Thanks for this! I'll try it out as soon as I am able. I'm still bummed about the whole Physx not running on the GPU issue though. This same thing happened with each metro game before and now it's happening again.

Also, I now know why my Frame rate jumps through the roof on SSAA x0.5. The game internally renders at half resolution lol. This sucks, I get high frame rates with micro-stuttering if I turn off SSAA, and I get horrible image quality with no microstuttering at SSAA x0.5.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I've beated the 2033 and almost finished Last Light on PC.
You guys think it's worth getting on PS4 ?

psychotron

PS4 version. Turning feels way too slow in 2033. I'll have to mess with the sensitivity, but when in combat with a ton of enemies coming at you from all sides, it sucks not being able to turn fast enough to keep up. Also, it seems that the dialogue volume is very low especially in the rear channels on my 5.1 setup. Unless I'm looking right at someone, the dialogue is pretty low, and goes extremely low if I face away from them.

Other than that, the frame rate has been perfect, loading is a lot quicker than PS3 and textures look pretty damn good.

Gurish

Yeah, sure it sounds fun, and I will take a shot at it too, but it is not intended for your first playthrough, simple as that.

Do you think regular Ranger Mode is OK for my first playthrough or should i avoid it as well?

What difficulty do you recommend? I'm playing on Survival (Metro2033) and i want a nice challenge but not too frustrating- is normal enough or should i go at least with Hardcore or maybe even regular Ranger is acceptable?
I'm having a hard time choosing the right difficulty for me, i really wants to be immersed but I'm afraid maybe the regular Ranger is too brutal.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does the controller acceleration/sensitivity bug the shit out of anyone else in this game?

The fact that you turn left and right twice as fast as you can look up or down is absolutely maddening and makes controlling the game feel terrible and slugish.

Especially if you're trying to look along diagonals.

I really had hoped they fixed this in Redux, but it's exactly the same as Last Light.

If you're going to fuck up the way the controller works in this way, at least give us separate controls for left/right and up/down sensitivity.

Liamc723

Do you think regular Ranger Mode is OK for my first playthrough or should i avoid it as well?

What difficulty do you recommend? I'm playing on Survival (Metro2033) and i want a nice challenge but not too frustrating- is normal enough or should i go at least with Hardcore or maybe even regular Ranger is acceptable?
I'm having a hard time choosing the right difficulty for me, i really wants to be immersed but I'm afraid maybe the regular Ranger is too brutal.

If you want a bit of a challenge, I'd go for Ranger easy.

Are character models improved in last light versus 2033. I started with 2033 because I never beat it years ago and the environments and lighting look really nice but some of the character models show their age. Wondering if it's better in last light.

Also with regards to the sound. Improvements in last light over metro? I thought the mix from the hour I played sounded really flat and the guns lacked any oomph. I'll check my settings again tonight but was a little disappointed by the mix though that issue has been prevalent on the last few games i bought

I also don't understand why playing it on survivor is only with a silver trophy while the other mode with more ammo and supplies is worth a gold trophy

Yeah, 1080p60fps, looks to be
very high
settings.

More like High... there is no environmental tesselation, colume lighting , or motionblur. That would make it way more like High than Very High.

Though the texture and fp model work is the exact same (maybe shadow res even).

If you have the first games on PC, i am not sure I would recommend one of the console versions. If anything, get 2033 Redux on PC.

I have. It's very different from the game, there's little to no action and the only reason Artyom remains alive throughout it all is because someone shows up at the end of every chapter to pull him from harm's way.

Honestly, unless you're a really big fan, I wouldn't bother.

Gurish

If you want a bit of a challenge, I'd go for Ranger easy.

So It's doable for a first playthrough, good.
What is missing from the HUD in regular Ranger?

Thanks for the answer.

The game looks great BTW, and i was the one who complained a couple of pages ago that they should have targeted 30, still thinks 30 is good enough for this type of game but visuals are great and I'm not complaining :) (ND should still go for 30 though ;) )

So I tried playing ranger hardcore as my first play through...couldn't figure out how to put on the gas mask...decided to knock the difficulty down. They *really* should have left the inventory prompts in when you hold LB or Y.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. The only thing that's a bit jarring is the creature AI...it seems "clunky".

Is there a button to wipe your gas mask or is it automatic?

So I tried playing ranger hardcore as my first play through...couldn't figure out how to put on the gas mask...decided to knock the difficulty down. They *really* should have left the inventory prompts in when you hold LB or Y.

I'm really enjoying the game so far. The only thing that's a bit jarring is the creature AI...it seems "clunky".

Is there a button to wipe your gas mask or is it automatic?

L1/LB

Got the game yesterday, haven't really had a chance to dive into it but I did just briefly do the opening.

Is it just me, or is firing bullets with the trigger super sensitive. I sometimes fire bullets when my fingers are in a resting position (slightly touching the trigger). I haven't noticed the sensitivity issue with any other game so far (TLOU recently).

It's so strange, I need to kind of like put my finger away from the trigger to not waste bullets accidentally.

Got the game yesterday, haven't really had a chance to dive into it but I did just briefly do the opening.

Is it just me, or is firing bullets with the trigger super sensitive. I sometimes fire bullets when my fingers are in a resting position (slightly touching the trigger). I haven't noticed the sensitivity issue with any other game so far (TLOU recently).

It's so strange, I need to kind of like put my finger away from the trigger to not waste bullets accidentally.

Dat realism.

Top Bottom