• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

icespide

Banned
started 2033 redux yesterday. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with weapon choices and deciding how to spend my money(ammo).

I'm playing spartan on normal. any tips for which weapons I should be focusing on? should I upgrade any of them? different ammo types?

does it even matter since I'm playing on spartan/normal?

RoKKeR

started 2033 redux yesterday. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with weapon choices and deciding how to spend my money(ammo).

I'm playing spartan on normal. any tips for which weapons I should be focusing on? should I upgrade any of them? different ammo types?

Mostly this, but it lets you experiment with how you want to approach harder difficulties in future run-throughs.

I feel the same way -- kind of confused about what to do with ammo and weapons. I put a silencer on my pistol at the first rest stop because I thought that was the best idea. I'm playing on spartan/normal, too.

Cudder

I kind of felt that way too. There's really no reason to be, you find a lot of ammo and different guns when you're out in the metro anyway. Just make it a habit to try out all of the different guns and see what works best for you.

Sober

I feel the same way -- kind of confused about what to do with ammo and weapons. I put a silencer on my pistol at the first rest stop because I thought that was the best idea. I'm playing on spartan/normal, too.
Rightmost icon in the ammo HUD element tells you what ammo the weapon uses (also the inventory - hold TAB on PC). Revolvers and shotguns take their own bullets, SMG/assault rifles generally take regular bullets/military grade bullets (aka money) and pneumatic weapons take ball bearings/arrow bolts/anything else. Don't remember what the high-end weapons do, but Spartan is a fun way to experiment with the weapons. You probably won't run out of ammo 95% of the time anyway.

SoulClap

I feel the same way -- kind of confused about what to do with ammo and weapons. I put a silencer on my pistol at the first rest stop because I thought that was the best idea.

Good call. A silencer for the pistol is the only weapons related purchase I made in my playthroughs of 2033.

Rightmost icon in the ammo HUD element tells you what ammo the weapon uses (also the inventory - hold TAB on PC). Revolvers and shotguns take their own bullets, SMG/assault rifles generally take regular bullets/military grade bullets (aka money) and pneumatic weapons take ball bearings/arrow bolts/anything else. Don't remember what the high-end weapons do, but Spartan is a fun way to experiment with the weapons. You probably won't run out of ammo 95% of the time anyway.

Good call. A silencer for the pistol is the only weapons related purchase I made in my playthroughs of 2033.

Apparently I'm an expert at Metro 2033 and I didnt' even know it. Thanks for the tips, guys.

How do you switch between grenades, and how do you use throwing knives?

Assuming you're on PC:
Tab+mouse up for knives
Tab+mouse right for fire grenades
Tab+mouse down for sticky grenades
Tab+mouse left for grenades

Really terrible system, 2033's original system where you held each item was miles better. Can't use number keys to switch between them either, very un PC.

Edit: going by your post above you're not on PC :p

It looks really nice on ps4 and runs pretty smoothly. I don't remember this in the pc version but is the walking supposed to be super slow? Feels like I am trudging through mud lol.

Sober

Assuming you're on PC:
Tab+mouse up for knives
Tab+mouse right for fire grenades
Tab+mouse down for sticky grenades
Tab+mouse left for grenades

Really terrible system, 2033's original system where you held each item was miles better. Can't use number keys to switch between them either, very un PC.

Edit: going by your post above you're not on PC :p
It's alright, but the hilarious thing is it slows the game down immensely when you open the inventory during dialogue yet when in the middle of combat it barely does any time dilation anyway.

somedevil

How many people are playing this on a PC because the launch on that was a disaster with a lot of people not being able to get passed the intro before it crashes. I have that problem.

According to them the problem was that there is a CPU problem that they didn't know about because they don't have those CPU's that were being affected. So they had to find older PC's to duplicate the problem.

So now they are working on a patch for this. So there is still a lot of people who have not played the game since the launch Tuesday.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm really enjoying 2033 on PS4. I know a lot of talk about the console lighting has been about the absence of volumetric but there are some areas in the game that use light, shadow, and fog to great effect even if they aren't the most technically advanced implementations.

teokrazia

Ow, they've done it for real...
This is my 2033 Redux now:
fUpB6nH.jpg

This is what I played in review version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pxDaWzVMLI&feature=youtu.be&t=6m14s

I'm also having shitload of fun with Spider Lair episode from LL DLC.

Kudos to 4A guys!

Sem

Neo Member
Anyone know if they plan to patch in ALL of the missing effects

I had this pre-ordered on steam for ages had both original games

but a few days ago when all those comparison shots were posted showing the downgrade I cancelled my pre-order and though I will just stick with the originals

patching some of the effects back in made me consider pre-ordering again but TBH I wont be satisfied unless all of them are added back not just selected sections

only got 2 days to decide before i lose the 50% off

Weird, so on Steam, if I go to look at my 2033 Redux achievements or playtime in my profile, it doesn't show up. The only place 2033 Redux is showing up is in my library. Anyone else have this?

S1kkZ

did they remove the
stealth suit that was available in the armory? i also couldnt find the night vision googles at the beginning of frontlines.
playing on spartan/normal.

Weird, so on Steam, if I go to look at my 2033 Redux achievements or playtime in my profile, it doesn't show up. The only place 2033 Redux is showing up is in my library. Anyone else have this?

People in the steam forum were saying it's probably because the game isn't out in Europe and someone on steam forgot to flip a switch. If you go to the game page via the store you can find the achievements there.

It's alright, but the hilarious thing is it slows the game down immensely when you open the inventory during dialogue yet when in the middle of combat it barely does any time dilation anyway.
It would be alright if it wasn't invisible on Ranger Hardcore. Flicking between sounds is no fun.

Is the 2033 survival watch some sort of hybrid between 2033 and LL with the blue light indicator? I was trying to understand the watches functions and google was confusing me.

Is the 2033 survival watch some sort of hybrid between 2033 and LL with the blue light indicator? I was trying to understand the watches functions and google was confusing me.

The blue light turns on if you are in a place where you can be seen by an enemy. Ie, when you turn your flashlight on, stand in the light, etc. When you swap out filters the 5 minute timer(not real-time) resets.

I was exploring outside and run out of mask filters, I had to keep putting the mask on and off to be able to survive and kill the monsters to advance to the next area, kinda of a bummer since I wanted to take my time exploring... Besides that the game is fantastic

The blue light turns on if you are in a place where you can be seen by an enemy. Ie, when you turn your flashlight on, stand in the light, etc. When you swap out filters the 5 minute timer(not real-time) resets.
Thanks, thats what I figured. But when I looked online for 2033 it was talking about a 3 light system and confused me. That's my only gripe with the game so far is that it doesn't explain any of the gameplay mechanics particularly well.

I was exploring outside and run out of mask filters, I had to keep putting the mask on and off to be able to survive and kill the monsters to advance to the next area, kinda of a bummer since I wanted to take my time exploring... Besides that the game is fantastic

Same with me, I always make sure I'm stoked up on filters and use them to the last bit before changing because I love exploring the outside, a lot of really cool stuff to find.

WoolyNinja

First time trying these games and the only thing I don't love about 2033 is what appears to be inconsistency in how many bullets it takes to kill the dog-like mutants. Sometimes it takes 4 shotgun blasts up close, other times 2? Maybe I'm just terrible?

TJP

Has anyone actually read the novel? I want to now!
Yep, I have. If you want to read the English version, I'd recommend buying the audio book version (available as a 2 CD MP3 from Amazon). The novel's flow is often stilted because of the translation from Russian to English.

Metro 2034 is also available in audio format; it's a good story and you learn quite a bit about Hunter, a cult and new info about a number of Metro stations.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How is the previous Last Light DLC incorporated into PS4 redux? I don't see any options on the main menu... is it put into the campaign?

Original 2033
8b.jpg

Redux
8.jpg

Apart from shitty jpeg compression, I'm ok with this.

Only problem there are the missing volumetric lights behind you. Beyond that, the particle lighting is vastly superior in Redux. TUrning on your flashlight illuminates all the particles quite nicely.

Sober

Going from 2033 Redux to LL is a little weird, but not too bad. No aim toggle, can't check watch (I can see it fine though). Maybe when LL Redux is super cheap I'll come back to it and see if it's worth playing in survival mode.

misho8723

Banned

Ok, we know what did the day-one patch for M2033, but what about the patch for MLL?

Top Bottom