• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

PowderedToast

EatChildren said:
This game has a terrible boxart. Why does Nintendo suck so much at boxes?
it reminds me of cheesy sci-fi from the 70s with the floating heads and serious poses. i like it in that regard. i would still prefer to have the jap one, though.

Luigiv

The_Technomancer said:
Whoooo! I was actually on the fence until I went hands on at Comic-Con, and now I am just that much more hyped!

Tathanen, can you comment on whether its more linear like Fusion or open like Super?
Well if Tathanen isn't allowed to answer that; for what it's worth Sakamoto said that structurally the game would be similar Fusion, in an interview last year. There's a small chance things could have changed a bit since then but it seems unlikely.

Rich!

Put in my preorder today. The game is £33.99, and I put down a tenner towards it. So that means I'll have £24 left to pay when I pick it up. Ohhhh yeah.

robor

Schattenjagger said:
It's a metroid game - I'd buy it without even seeing a pic but I am just worried about the mood/soundtrack of the game

Judging from the Digital Chumps clips, I'd say so far it sounds excellent.

Ridley327

As I promised, I have more details on the @Gamer review:

-going into first-person mode is finnicky; one of the complaints revolves around a tendency to suddenly be looking upwards when you intend to be pointing straight at the enemy
-the third-person combat is very smooth and effortless
-bosses and mini-bosses tend to involve a lot of trial-and-error, as weak points are not immediately obvious
-lots of exploration in the game (yay!)
-Nate Bihldorff (of Treehouse fame) recorded a placeholder voiceover for the tutorial, but they ended up being so impressed with his performance as a nasally scientist that they decided to keep it in the final game
-final sentences of the review: "It may not be the pinnacle of the series, but longtime fans shouldn't let that deter them from checking out an overall enjoyable experience. Again, it's all about managing your expectations."

4/5

heringer

Ridley327 said:

-going into first-person mode is finnicky; one of the complaints revolves around a tendency to suddenly be looking upwards when you intend to be pointing straight at the enemy
-the third-person combat is very smooth and effortless
-bosses and mini-bosses tend to involve a lot of trial-and-error, as weak points are not immediately obvious
-lots of exploration in the game (yay!)
-Nate Bihldorff (of Treehouse fame) recorded a placeholder voiceover for the tutorial, but they ended up being so impressed with his performance as a nasally scientist that they decided to keep it in the final game
-final sentences of the review: "It may not be the pinnacle of the series, but longtime fans shouldn't let that deter them from checking out an overall enjoyable experience. Again, it's all about managing your expectations."

4/5
Fuck that. My expectations couldn't be any higher. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not to be the total asshole (total total hole asshole total), but if his/her review was doing its job, expectations would be managed. "it's about managing your expectations" should be a completely redundant sentence.

Video games. Writing.

Guevara

I'm going to watch this thread with great interest, but I think I have to pass on purchasing this in the near future. Just too many variables and the hands-on have been less than comforting. On the bright side, when I do buy it two years from now I'm sure it will still be $50 :lol

robor

Ridley327 said:

4/5

I wonder how that's possible if you manage to point directly at the TV? Interesting.

Rich!

robor said:
I wonder how that's possible if you manage to point directly at the TV? Interesting.

I'd assume its because as you point the remote at the screen, you arch it downwards from above. But then again, if you brought the remote in from the side, would you automatically be looking at the left in-game?

Wizpig

Rez said:
Not to be the total asshole (total total hole asshole total), but if his/her review was doing its job, expectations would be managed. "it's about managing your expectations" should be a completely redundant sentence.

Video games. Writing.
It doesn't bother me at all, it just says you should not get crazy hype; they could have said "it's not as important to the series as Metroid Prime", and they would have made a similar point.

Not to mention i think it's absolutely true, I expect a "sequel" to Metroid Fusion, not a ground-breaking videogame like Metroid Prime.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This is the first ever Metroid I'm not super psyched for. Mostly due to the silly controller limitations and Team Ninja involvement. Ah well. I'll be there day one and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm not sure why people like the JP boxart so much, cramming Young Spunky Samus's face in the power suit just looks wrong. Plus the US art is art, not icky renders! When does that ever happen?!

Ridley327

robor said:
It really depends on how well they implemented the function. I know of more than a few times where the pointer function in Super Paper Mario went haywire on me, no matter how quickly or slowly I positioned the remote.

robor

richisawesome said:
I'd assume its because as you point the remote at the screen, you arch it downwards from above. But then again, if you brought the remote in from the side, would you automatically be looking at the left in-game?

I see but that still seems a bit......illusory because there is an actual transitional phase that alleviates enough time for the player to position the wiimote correctly at the screen.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
kiryogi said:
Can you tell us if it requires 4.3?

I swear I had the newest firmware when I popped it in, but wouldn't you know it, it forced an update anyway. So yea I think you guys are all screwed.

The_Technomancer said:
Tathanen, can you comment on whether its more linear like Fusion or open like Super?

Definitely more Fusion. You're kind of ordered around from time to time, and each time you enter a save station the map extends out in front of you until the next save station. Curiously, though, the pause menu map is different from the one in the corner radar. The pause menu map is always smooth shapes, while the smaller map is more topographical, it shows all the crevasses and twists and turns within that over-arching shape. Things are a lot more complicated in execution than the pause menu map might indicate.

I've had virtually no issues with moving into aiming mode so far. There have actually been a few times where I've found myself unconsciously using a bizarre grip where I'll point at the screen, then quickly angle it back to reposition myself, but only alter my left hand, so the controller is sideways with my left thumb on the dpad and my right thumb still on the A button, so I can swap right back really quick.

That boss/mini-boss critique in that review is perplexing to me, I've never really had any trouble figuring out how to hit a boss. Either they've got a huge glowing spot somewhere, or you realize after one shot that "oh a charged blast isn't gonna cut it" so you use a missile. Missiles are generally hugely powerful, actually, well beyond a charged blast. It's nice for them to be really worth the effort to enter first-person.

"Bosses" really kind of just assault you at every turn, though, to the point that half the time I don't realize I'm fighting them. There's no clear and obvious OH IT'S KRAID moment where you know you are fighting "the area's boss," it's just one of many encounters as you run about.

Mejilan said:
This is the first ever Metroid I'm not super psyched for. Mostly due to the silly controller limitations and Team Ninja involvement. Ah well. I'll be there day one and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

I was always on the pro-nunchuk camp for this game, but having played it a while I honestly think it'd be pretty shitty with it. The d-pad's digital nature is pretty important, and I find myself not actually WANTING to move in first person. If the option was there I'd be tempted to play this like an FPS when it really really isn't one.

Schattenjagger said:
Maybe I was looking at the wrong clips but I didn't really hear any music

Music has been extremely scarce, but it's very good whenever it does show up. Normally it's just some ambient notes here and there, and a lot of spooky sounds. There has been some genuine creepiness just from the soundscape alone in this game, well beyond anything in the Primes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Shanadeus:
2vuhjdz.png

Sachattenjager:
30c2eqg.gif
153tbwx.gif

Gravijah:
20z3f5d.png

Pulga:
2zxrxqs.png

SalsaShark:
34gu1zp.gif

Tathanen said:
Having played for something like 6 hours straight, I have to say that the "omg it's all cinemas" concerns are 100% unfounded. This is basically all playin, right here.

This game is great. I was as concerned as anyone originally, but trust me, it is good beef and chicken. The combat feels fantastic, and the things that are iffy when you first start with them: changing remote positions, the dpad controls, samus's voice, all become certifiable non-issues after an hour or so. I actually LOVE the remote positions at the moment, and the d-pad is the only kind of thing that would make the sense move even work, which is half of why the combat is so good.

I guess I'm not supposed to talk about this since it's after the first 2 hours, but we all know it's in there already, and it's in the friggin manual. Speedboost/shinespark. Spectacular. Could not be more delightful if it tried.

And, I am going to bed.

Officially excited :) Your early reservations on the game really meant a lot in terms of my own expectations, so this is really nice to hear!

One week to go, I'm really excited for this now! I'm supposed to go to a Yankee game next Tues. but I really hate the Yankees and I really love Metroid, so I'm considering ditching it!

robor

Tathanen said:
Music has been extremely scarce, but it's very good whenever it does show up. Normally it's just some ambient notes here and there, and a lot of spooky sounds. There has been some genuine creepiness just from the soundscape alone in this game, well beyond anything in the Primes.

I noticed that from all the previous gameplay footage. This guy seriously knows how to create tension. It's one of the many new features in this game that I'm thoroughly looking forward to.

heringer

Tathanen said:
and a lot of spooky sounds. There has been some genuine creepiness just from the soundscape alone in this game, well beyond anything in the Primes.
I like the sound of that. :D

Can you comment anything about the cutscenes, story and voice work?

robor said:
I noticed that from all the previous gameplay footage. This guy seriously knows how to create tension. It's one of the many new features in this game that I'm thoroughly looking forward to.

As much as the Metroid series is known for having fantastic melodies, some of the best moments in the series have barely had them at all - Golden Statues, SA-X, etc.

It definitely seems to be following the Fusion route of ambience over melody. Whether that's a good thing or not is pretty subjective. I'm sure there will be a few great tunes throughout the game though.

ratcliffja said:
I'll be happy if it's as good as hunters, but I'm not holding my breath. I just have a really bad feeling about this game.

I loved Hunters, but all hands on of this game says it's great, so not sure why people are worried.

Also, AWESOME OP IS AWESOME.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
There seems to be some fear associated with Team Ninja...is this because of the way they handle their FMV's and story, or gameplay? Because I adore the gameplay in every Team Ninja production. Even though I am a huge fan of the original series, a Team Ninja designed Metroid is extremely appealing.

In any case I am very, very excited for this game :D

mantidor

cosmicblizzard said:
I know I'm late, but this

is awesome! Great job on the OP.

I would say is too god damn spoilerific, but I'm really uptight about spoilers. And with this game I'm in the dilemma of going into blackout but still be worried about all the apparently obvious and jarring flaws, or read more impressions to be more at ease with the game.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Teknoman said:
Not sure if its been answered, but are the Samus appears and item acquired themes still in?

Unfortunately, this is one of my annoyances. The sound the game makes when you get an item is just not satisfying at all, it's like a series of mechanical clanks or some crap, and it takes like 3 seconds after touching an item to even pop up the message. Only incontestable downgrade so far.

On the plus side, Samus Appears is definitely there, and plays whenever you load a save. It's actually much better than the Prime version, sounds slightly orchestrated.

heringer said:
Can you comment anything about the cutscenes, story and voice work?

Voice work overall is pretty okay. Samus yea is pretty stiff but I dunno if I'm just used to it now but she's sounding better. The guy who's apparently Nate Bihldorff in that opening thing? Oh god he was bad. The supporting cast sounds good though.

The cinemas in general are all very well directed, no complaints. For a game claiming to be all about Samus's Past, there was like one cinema about it, that didn't say much of anything. The rest has all been very focused in the present, about what's happening on the ship.

The story's pretty good so far though, I like it. There are some shades of Fusion in here, in a good way.

Diffense

The game is not even Team Ninja designed it's Team Ninja implemented.

All this team Ninja oh teh noes crap is STUPID.
There I said it.

There was far more to fear from Retro who hadn't made a damn thing in its existence when it got Prime.

Metroid

I just call it moody/sad/depressing then :D
Well played :lol
Super Metroid just had such an awesome soundtrack, stuck in my heart forever.

heringer

Tathanen said:
Unfortunately, this is one of my annoyances. The sound the game makes when you get an item is just not satisfying at all, it's like a series of mechanical clanks or some crap, and it takes like 3 seconds after touching an item to even pop up the message. Only incontestable downgrade so far.

On the plus side, Samus Appears is definitely there, and plays whenever you load a save. It's actually much better than the Prime version, sounds slightly orchestrated.

Voice work overall is pretty okay. Samus yea is pretty stiff but I dunno if I'm just used to it now but she's sounding better. The guy who's apparently Nate Bihldorff in that opening thing? Oh god he was bad. The supporting cast sounds good though.

The cinemas in general are all very well directed, no complaints. For a game claiming to be all about Samus's Past, there was like one cinema about it, that didn't say much of anything. The rest has all been very focused in the present, about what's happening on the ship.

The story's pretty good so far though, I like it. There are some shades of Fusion in here, in a good way.
Good to know. Thanks for all the impressions. :D

Mejilan

Tathanen said:
I swear I had the newest firmware when I popped it in, but wouldn't you know it, it forced an update anyway. So yea I think you guys are all screwed.

I was always on the pro-nunchuk camp for this game, but having played it a while I honestly think it'd be pretty shitty with it. The d-pad's digital nature is pretty important, and I find myself not actually WANTING to move in first person. If the option was there I'd be tempted to play this like an FPS when it really really isn't one.
I'm very confident that this game will be playable without the need to officially update our Wii system menus. Typically, if you're on the newest firmware and a game still prompts for an update, it's only adding or updating an IOS, not the entire firmware. Via homebrew, we can indepentally install IOSes without compromising homebrew.

Thanks for the impressions. I'd rather use the CC or CCPro in a game like this, since I absolutely loathe NES style remote only controls. But for a Metroid, I can certainly get over it. I suffered through it for NSMB Wii, after all. And that was merely a Mario. This is a Metroid!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Mejilan said:
Thanks for the impressions. I'd rather use the CC or CCPro in a game like this, since I absolutely loathe NES style remote only controls.

When I started playing I actually sort of felt the same way. Oddly I never had an issue with the NES style for NSMBW, but it felt sort of annoying for this. It's not like I was doing anything different, just the way the dpad is so close to the left of the controller, and the lack of a good grip beneath it with the indent for the B button. Maybe cause in NSMBW you're mainly only hitting left or right, but in this you use all directions equally. I got used to it pretty quickly regardless, but it'd be nice if NES style on the remote was more comfortable in general.

Mejilan

Tathanen said:
When I started playing I actually sort of felt the same way. Oddly I never had an issue with the NES style for NSMBW, but it felt sort of annoying for this. It's not like I was doing anything different, just the way the dpad is so close to the left of the controller, and the lack of a good grip beneath it with the indent for the B button. Maybe cause in NSMBW you're mainly only hitting left or right, but in this you use all directions equally. I got used to it pretty quickly regardless, but it'd be nice if NES style on the remote was more comfortable in general.
It also bugs me how the damn thing lacks symmetry! ;p

Sadist said:
Could someone Metroidfy my avatar?

I'd like Metroid for glasses :lol

Good thing that everyone enjoys the OP :D

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Someone should just remake your avatar with Sakamoto. :D

Great job with the thread btw.

You know, Im going to try it.

mantidor said:
I would say is too god damn spoilerific, but I'm really uptight about spoilers. And with this game I'm in the dilemma of going into blackout but still be worried about all the apparently obvious and jarring flaws, or read more impressions to be more at ease with the game.

As uptight as you say to be with spoilers, Im sorry, but I can not think how can that be a spoiler.

1. I dont even know who is that character. The same as all the people who havent played the game. We only know she says "I am Samus Aran" to suit samus, thats why I did a banner as if she was indecipherable and you cant access her profile.

2. Even if you have done media blockout is IMPOSSIBLE you have not seen her. And Im really sure all the people that know about this game have seen her as she appears in the FIRST trailer when it was showed at e3 2009, you have to eat her scene, you want it or not, becuase you didnt know what that trailer was going to show. As a matter of fact, she has never appeared in any trailer outside of the first.

I find even more spoilerific that people have discovered that "el pollo loco" is
Ridley Jr

Top Bottom