• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Pooya

On gameinformer site, they say that US review is different than the AU 8/10 review, in both text and score, US review is embargoed until Friday.

Amir0x

Banned
Penguin said:
Just bought it on the Virtual Console.
First time ever playing it....

Reached up to Kraid I want to say, and so far, moves pretty quick at giving you items.

haha i forgot I have Super Metroid on Wii

PROBLEM SOLVED

heringer said:
Fusion is better and you know it. Just take off your rose tinted glasses to see the truth.

:p

To me Metroid is about exploration and the ways to can use your skill to come up with amazing speed runs, and Fusion's linearity and relatively sub-par exploration puts it decidedly behind Super Metroid.

In Super Metroid, the level design is perfect. It's some of the greatest level design of any game ever. When I replay Super Metroid, each time I find a new way to go about things. It's finely honed perfection.

Rich!

miladesn said:
On gameinformer site, they say that US review is different than the AU 8/10 review, in both text and score, they also posted part of the review on the gameinformer site:lol :lol , I don't know if I can link to it????? (it's scan)
US review is embargoed until Friday.

Nope, you can't link to it. But tell us, is the US Gameinformer review excerpt positive or not?

Instro

mantidor said:
Fusion is the 2D Metroid I like less, yes including the almost unplayable by today standards Metroid 2. But I think they all have amazing gameplay, is just that the other 2D Metroids have a much engaging and isolated atmosphere which is something I like a lot.

I've always felt that the atmosphere in Fusion was actually one of the best, although quite different from something like Super or Prime. A lot more of a scary/horror vibe too it that really kept you on edge especially with the SA-X around hunting you.

Pooya

richisawesome said:
Oh. Before your edit, you stated there was an excerpt from the US review. Might have misread your wording.
It's pro/cons from AU 8/10 review, they posted it on their official site. US review embargoed until Friday.

heringer

miladesn said:
On gameinformer site, they say that US review is different than the AU 8/10 review, in both text and score, US review is embargoed until Friday.
I bet the score is higher. But you never know with GI.

Amir0x said:
To me Metroid is about exploration and the ways to can use your skill to come up with amazing speed runs, and Fusion's linearity and relatively sub-par exploration puts it decidedly behind Super Metroid.

In Super Metroid, the level design is perfect. It's some of the greatest level design of any game ever. When I replay Super Metroid, each time I find a new way to go about things. It's finely honed perfection.
This is how I feel about it too, in fact I would say Super Metroid has the best level design of any game. Fusion is quite an enjoyable game, but it just lacks the foresight and brilliance of Super Metroid.

Rich!

[Nintex] said:
'very different', either a 10 or lower than a 7.

I hope it's the former. I was totally negative about this game up until a week ago, I don't want anything to ruin this streak of looking forward-ness. :lol

Playing Fusion for a second playthrough and not enjoying it as much as I did the first time. It just feels frustrating. The boss battles feel like a pain in the ass, especially when you have to destroy the giant X at the end of every one. Respawning enemies if you don't grab the x's fast enough are also irritating. It's fun, but Zero Mission is more my kind of Metroid game since it's more laid back and casual.

Boney said:
laid back... and casual? huh?

The game felt a lot easier than Super or Fusion. Never once got stuck, exploring was challenging but nothing too much of a head scratcher. To me, it played as a much easier and casual version of 2D Metroid.

Boney said:
have you tried sequence breaking?

?

Boney

Banned
riceandbeans said:
The game felt a lot easier than Super or Fusion. Never once got stuck, exploring was challenging but nothing too much of a head scratcher. To me, it felt like an easier and casual version of 2D Metroid.

riceandbeans said:
Like getting the power bombs back in Zebes.

jman2050

Playing the intended path in Zero Mission makes for a crappy game. Beat Ridley first or gtfo.

Boney said:

Of all the examples in the game you picked the one impossible one? :lol

Azure J

This is a really great thread. Now I can't wait for my copy to come in. In the meantime, anyone wanna try Metroiding my avatar? :D

Boney

Banned
jman2050 said:
Playing the intended path in Zero Mission makes for a crappy game. Beat Ridley first or gtfo.

Of all the examples in the game you picked the one impossible one? :lol
It's the most impressive :p

Blew my mind when I found out about that.

Boney said:

I didn't know you could go back to Zebes. Beat the last portion with Samus escaping from the Space Pirates and that was that, the game ended.

.la1n

TruePrime said:
Probably the best news I have heard all year that this is like Fusion but on console.

Still think Fusion is the best 2D Metroid so if this really is like that but better then this will probably end up as my all time favorite Metroid and has an even higher chance of knocking XIII out of my game of the year.

notsureifmentallychallenged.gif

Boney

Banned
riceandbeans said:
I didn't know you could go back to Zebes. Beat the last portion with Samus escaping from the Space Pirates and that was that, the game ended.
You can get tons of stuff early. Screw Attack, Super Missiles, Power Bombs, skip many bosses and power ups. It's crazy.

Your problem is, you only played it once, and that's not how you're supposed to go around these games. They're so short, and their design beg for experimentation, even though Zero Mision's one is actually made on purpose, not on exploits.

Beth Cyra

.la1n said:
notsureifmentallychallenged.gif

What do you take issue with? The fact that I think Fusion is better then Super? Or that I think FF XIII is better then any other game released this year and better then 90 percent of the FF series?

heringer

TruePrime said:
What do you take issue with? The fact that I think Fusion is better then Super?

Don't see a problem with that. :D

TruePrime said:
Or that I think FF XIII is better then any other game released this year and better then 90 percent of the FF series?
Oh noes. :(

Beth Cyra

heringer said:
Don't see a problem with that. :D

Oh noes. :(

Haha figured that would be the part, still the original comment wasn't meant to be about FF XIII so much as how exctied for Other M. The fact is I love Fusion and if it is really like that then it would my GOTY, XIII just happens to be what it is right now.

riceandbeans said:
The game felt a lot easier than Super or Fusion. Never once got stuck, exploring was challenging but nothing too much of a head scratcher. To me, it played as a much easier and casual version of 2D Metroid.
The final Ridley boss battle on Hard with 100% items isn't what I'd call easy or casual :p

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Never actually sequence broken a Metroid game. Then again I've only played through Prime and Fusion twice, Corruption once, and started my second playthrough of Super this morning.

AniHawk

heringer said:
Apparently Nintendo Power gave the game 8.5.

Metroid Prime: 10/10
Metroid Fusion: 10/10
Metroid Prime 3: 10/10
Metroid Prime 2: 9.8/10
Metroid Zero Mission: 9.8/10
Super Metroid: 8.85/10
Metroid Prime Hunters: 8.5/10
Metroid Other M: 8.5/10
Metroid (GBA classics): 8.4/10
Metroid 2: 8.4/10

farnham

Banned
AniHawk said:
Super Metroid: 8.9/10
that doesnt bode well

Zero Mission in hard is awesome.

And much more difficult than Fusion that im playing again right now. What the fuck are you people thinking saying Fusion is more difficult?

Beth Cyra

AniHawk said:
Super Metroid: 8.9/10

Neat score, still can't wait to play it.

Top Bottom