• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes hands on from Gamedaily

SantaC

I assume this is from the full version. By Chris Buffa:
Bounty hunter Samus Aran is returning to the Nintendo GameCube in the all-new sci-fi adventure: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. The sequel is bigger, tougher, and prettier than its predecessor, but if you're a fan of the first Prime, you'll be pleased to know that Nintendo hasn't messed with the formula too much. It's a mix of old with a dash of new, and whether you think so or not, you will be afraid of the dark. Oh yes! You will be afraid!

This time around, Retro Studios has paid more attention to crafting a deeper and more involving story, though in some ways, Echoes' narrative sounds like a zillion other sci-fi games/movies. While pursuing space pirates, a Galactic Federation trip crash lands on the planet Aether, and disappears. Bounty hunter Samus Aran is called to investigate, and upon her arrival discovers that all of the soldiers have been mysteriously slaughtered by an unknown force. It appears Aether has been split into two worlds; the Light World, which is controlled by the peaceful Luminoth, and the Dark World, an evil place populated by the Ing, vicious creatures bent on destroying all in its path. Four generators are all that keep the Light World in existence, and as the peaceful tribe of aliens is crushed under the weight of their oppressors, Samus springs into action to save not only the Light World, but the entire planet. However, it won't be easy, because there's an X factor, a Dark Samus running about sucking up Phazon and looking to put the hurt on everyone's favorite interstellar bounty hunter.

I started the game investing the whereabouts of the Federation troops. Like in the first Prime, I came across very few enemies in the first few moments of play. Rather, I stumbled upon clues as to what foul beasts populate the planet. Cocoons, slime, and holes burrowed deep into the ground were my only hints. There were destroyed machinery and dead bodies everywhere (both human as well as alien), and I won't spoil it for you, but the action kicks off rather quickly. Unlike Prime, where you walked a good way before being heavily attacked, Echoes throws double, sometimes triple the enemies at you within the first twenty minutes. They're not very difficult to defeat, but the initial shock of being nearly overwhelmed was a great feeling.

If you love to scan things, Echoes is going to make you feel like a kid in a candy store. It's a lot easier to lock onto things, because when you activate the scan visor, a much larger area is highlighted instead of a tiny point. Just about everything in the game has a story to tell, so it's best to stop and inspect whatever strange equipment, dead carcass, or alien you come into contact with. The federation troops in particular, are interesting reads because they have personal logs that give you some back story to their fate.

Rather than make Echoes your standard shooter (like Prime was), Nintendo and Retro Studios have included a twist to the gameplay. As you progress, Samus will come into contact with both light and dark weapons, and each type has advantages and disadvantages. When you encounter the Ing, it's best to hit them with light weaponry (dark will do very little damage since they're evil to begin with), but you'll need to pick and choose what weapons you fire because it's possible to run out of ammo. Nintendo has made it so it's hard to zero out, but your ammo counter is something that should always be on your mind. Also, there are new visors in the game, but Nintendo is still keeping them a secret.

No words can describe its beauty...After spending a little over an hour with the single-player campaign, I came away impressed. The entire experience was total immersion, from the creepy atmosphere and music (which I'll get to later) to the gameplay twists. This time around, you need to think a little bit more about what strategies you want to take. However, a lot about this game feels like the first Prime. The morph ball is still here, but it plays a much larger role because there are more places you'll need to access by rolling. Also, you'll still gain important items from defeating a boss, such as new weapons and suits (the dark suit rocks). It's enough of the old mixed with new stuff, and it makes Echoes stand out from its peers.

Aside from its new single-player gameplay features, the most talked about aspect concerning Echoes is its multiplayer mode. I played a four-player split screen deathmatch and it's definitely amusing. You can play it as your standard shooter and just blast away at one another, but Nintendo's done some neat things to make this a far cry from your typical frag fest. Being able to travel using the morph ball is excellent, as it's a great way to give your enemies the slip, or get the heck out of dodge if you're low on health. It's heartbreaking to whittle away an opponent's energy only to see them morph, hop into a cannon and get blasted onto the other side of the level. Of course that can work to your advantage if you're the one running away (as I often did). However, if you'd rather have some guts, you can roll around and plant bombs everywhere. It's actually a great defensive maneuver if your attacking enemy is low on health and trying to blast you to bits.

While the multiplayer is fun, it's more of a diversion from the heart of the Echoes experience, which is the single-player mode. Fragging just got boring after a while, especially knowing in the back of my mind that there's no online play. While split screen was fun back in 1998 on the N64, it's almost criminal today to release a shooter and restrict how and with whom you play. Nintendo is trying to differentiate itself from the competition with wacky modes (like Bounty Mode, where the object is to collect the most coins), but it's a big question mark as to whether gamers will embrace the multiplayer.

Nintendo boasts that Echoes is visually improved over its predecessor, but said improvements are more cosmetic than jaw dropping. The game still looks amazing, and the engine can pump out some very slick particle effects (in particular, the dark bubbly composite of your standard Ing creature), but for the most part it looks just like Prime. Environment detail has been kicked up a slight notch, but no one's going to get knocked off their seat when they boot up the game, that is, unless you love cool creature designs. The monsters in Echoes are just as expertly crafted as they were in the first Prime. Some familiars, like wasps, make a triumphant return, but the giant bosses (the worm-like monsters still freak me out) really kick the game's intensity meter up a notch. The Ing are really cool too. They vary in their design, but they have the ability to melt into the ground, zip around you and pop up for some quick attacks. They can also take over other creatures' bodies, but I won't go into detail on that, since it'd spoil the beginning for you.

While the graphics are gorgeous, it's the music that's the true star. Within the first hour of gameplay I was treated to some of the best game music I've ever heard. It's dark, foreboding, and really sets the tone of the game. Trust me when I say that the soundtrack (if it's ever released) is a must buy, if only for the game's opening tracks.

I know that Nintendo likes to say that its game isn't a first person shooter, but they need to get over it (especially now that Echoes has multiplayer). Take some time to check out Metroid Prime 2: Echoes for the Nintendo GameCube when it ships November 15 this year. Based on what I played, its high level of polish really sets it apart from the competition, and should make it a hit with fans.

http://www.gamedaily.com/gamecube/preview/?id=283&game_id=378&source=00001

I am really glad that the music is shining again. The music in Prime was good, but it did not top Super Metroid. Sounds like Kenji Yamamoto is back in style :)

el jacko

Interestingly enough, I just finished a mini-essay on the Metroid series' music, and its two main artists (Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano). I'll copy/paste it here for your delight (or not). I should just note that I wrote this comparing Prime's and Fusion's soundtracks, and how they would affect Echoes's.

Just so you know, Prime was composed by Kenji Yamamoto and Kouichi Kyuma. Fusion was done by Minako Hamano and Akira Fujiwara.

Both soundtracks I feel are excellent, however, if I were to rate one above the other, I'd have to say that Metroid Fusion is the better soundtrack. Over the past few months I have been listening to both soundtracks more and I have come to appreciate the work Hamano put into the music. Unlike Yamamoto's Prime works, the music has not only the eerie atmosphere that the Metroid series requires, but also strong melodies that make for a great soundtrack. I did not notice this before because I was both repulsed by Fusion as a game and because I've noticed Hamano has a less direct composing style, giving more towards atmosphere needed in the Metroid series.

Meanwhile, the Metroid Prime soundtrack is excellently composed; in terms of raw musical quality alone, dare I say it, it is better than Fusion and as good as Super Metroid. However, it distinctly lacks in the atmosphere required for a good Metroid game soundtrack. This problem is best seen in the music for Phendrana Drifts; it is possibly one of the best composed pieces of music this generation, and yet it is so anti-Metroid in its sound and feeling I'm amazed it came from a Metroid game.

This difference between the two composers is seen very clearly even on the Super Metroid soundtrack. Tracks composed by Yamamoto (such as Green Brinstar, Crateria, and Lower Norfair) are much more active and action-packed in their delivery. Meanwhile, the Hamano tracks (such as Maridia, the Wrecked Ship, and Tourian) focus much less on the melody itself than the atmosphere they help create. I'm willing to bet more people remember the Green Brinstar theme than the Wrecked Ship theme. I'm betting the reason behind Super Metroid's more fitting overall soundtrack (besides the better atmosphere created by the art ingame, but that's something else) is that since it was the two of them working on the soundtrack, there was some work done between them that enhanced both of their work on the project that was not seen in Prime or Fusion. This would also explain why Zero Mission's soundtrack, in terms of arrangement alone, is so good.

Ultimately, I have to say that I cannot wait for Echoes's soundtrack, assuming the two of them are working together again. I feel that they both have redeeming qualities that, combined, can create some of the greatest music this generation. However, if I were to choose between the two of them, I feel that Minako Hamano would be the better choice overall. This is not because he is the "better" composer (that is taste, even if I think he is), it is because I feel he is the more fitting composer for the Metroid series based on his previous work in the series.

EDIT: I should just mention that I skipped over the entire preview and only read the bolded part, the one about the music. While that is always good news, the same can be said about the first few tracks on Metroid Prime's soundtrack, which were perfect for a Metroid game but ultimately only a taste at what could have been an excellent and fitting soundtrack (instead of what we got). I sure hope it is both Yamamoto and Hamano holding the composing reins instead of just Yamamoto this time.

SantaC

el jacko said:
Interestingly enough, I just finished a mini-essay on the Metroid series' music, and its two main artists (Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano). I'll copy/paste it here for your delight (or not). I should just note that I wrote this comparing Prime's and Fusion's soundtracks, and how they would affect Echoes's.

EDIT: I should just mention that I skipped over the entire preview and only read the bolded part, the one about the music. While that is always good news, the same can be said about the first few tracks on Metroid Prime's soundtrack, which were perfect for a Metroid game but ultimately only a taste at what could have been an excellent and fitting soundtrack (instead of what we got). I sure hope it is both Yamamoto and Hamano holding the composing reins instead of just Yamamoto this time.

but Hip Tanaka owned them all :)

snapty00

Banned
I liked a lot of the music in Metroid Prime (especially the remixed compositions, such as the one for the lava place), but the music for Phendrana Drifts just sucked in every way possible. It wasn't merely because it was in a Metroid game; there wasn't really much music there to begin with. It sounded like a bunch of noise.

I also didn't like the remix for Ridley. I thought it sounded too tiny.

SantaC

snapty00 said:
I liked a lot of the music in Metroid Prime (especially the remixed compositions, such as the one for the lava place), but the music for Phendrana Drifts just sucked in every way possible. It wasn't merely because it was in a Metroid game; there wasn't really much music there to begin with. It sounded like a bunch of noise.

I also didn't like the remix for Ridley. I thought it sounded too tiny.

My fav tracks: Tallow Overworld, Phedrana drifts (it felt such a peaceful place) and endings credits. I liked magmor caverns also, but it was norfair remixed.

el jacko

SantaCruZer said:
but Hip Tanaka owned them all :)
Fair enough. I still think a Yamamoto + Hamano team is the best.

Or, maybe all three? Look at the wonder that is the Zero Mission soundtrack. Hell, the the ending theme from that game (and the NES version) outperforms half of all VGM.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
GG-Duo said:

what.gif

etiolate

Banned
I know that Nintendo likes to say that its game isn't a first person shooter, but they need to get over it (especially now that Echoes has multiplayer).

Dear god no.

I am a little worried about the light and dark beam having limited ammo. Will your regular beam also be limited by ammo? That's just lame. It's the fuckin powersuit!

Ristamar

etiolate said:
I am a little worried about the light and dark beam having limited ammo. Will your regular beam also be limited by ammo? That's just lame. It's the fuckin powersuit!

Eh, I don't believe any of the other beams require ammo. It's really not that big of a deal.

olimario

Banned
I just want to see some new Gameplay videos of the new areas.
I want to hear some of the new music.
I want something to get me hyped for this.

SantaC

olimario said:
I just want to see some new Gameplay videos of the new areas.
I want to hear some of the new music.
I want something to get me hyped for this.

Actually I am not sure this is impressions from the full version. I was certain at first, but now I am not anymore. He never mention that it's from the full version.

Top Bottom