• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

So I got the Nova Beam and just beat the Pirate Commander. I love locking onto Pirate Commandos with the X-ray visor once you have the Nova Beam, it's such a cool effect. Also liked the part where you have all the partner troops following you, it's cool to see them mixing up the gameplay every once in awhile, and plus it just felt awesome. Forget all the purists who insist Metroid has to be about isolation, I really liked having NPCs on my side.

Ugh. I popped in my copy of Trilogy that I've hardly touched since getting it for Christmas and I'm all motion sick. I don't know if it's me trying to adjust to the motion controls or what but I don't recall getting motion sick playing the GCN versions.

Maybe playing Corruption (which I have yet to play) instead of running from room to room in Prime will do the trick?

BikoBiko

Been playing Metroid Prime for the first time the past few days, what a great game. I like that it's a bit more linear than Super Metroid, I only had to use a walkthrough once or twice when I couldn't remember where to go, compared to Super Metroid where I had to resort to walkthroughs all the time. Off to find the last remaining Chozo artifacts, I can do this on my own! :D

Nabs

Little Green Yoda said:
Ugh. I popped in my copy of Trilogy that I've hardly touched since getting it for Christmas and I'm all motion sick. I don't know if it's me trying to adjust to the motion controls or what but I don't recall getting motion sick playing the GCN versions.

Maybe playing Corruption (which I have yet to play) instead of running from room to room in Prime will do the trick?

MP1 hit me real hard when it first came out. It went away once I turned down/off hud lag. Give it a try?

I find it nauseating when I turn the HUD lag off, personally. The lag makes it feel more natural to me.

I've owned all 3 Metroid Prime games (plus Hunters and Pinball) but never finished any of them. So then I got MPTrilogy the day it came out, and it had been sitting since. However I started up the first one about a week ago and have been making my way through it. So good.

CoolS

Never played MP2 on the Cube. Actually never finished Prime either untill I played it in Triology. Then I started Echoes for the first time.
That was a couple of months ago.

Tried to get back into it last week but I am seriously lost. I have the dark beam, but other than that I cannot remember what I did last. Oh well, I am only about 3 hours in, mave I'll just start over.

Alright, my first time playing through any of the MP games. Finished up the first one at exactly 16 hours. Only 73% completed, which kinda sucks, but oh well.

I have a couple questions about friend vouchers: how do they work? and how do I get them?

MP1 was so good though.

senahorse

Finally finished MP1.

About 2-3 years ago I started a LTTP MP1 thread and was playing through it on the GCN, I got up to Thardus and got frustrated and never played it again. So, knowing that I had the MPT disc in my backlog I took to beating the trilogy. Well today I finally beat Metroid Prime, 20 hours (in my defense I did leave the game running a few times while doing other things), 85% items (12 energy tanks, 200 missiles) and 47% logs, not entirely complete though I am happy.

There were a number of frustrating moments during the game but all in all it was an amazing experience that still holds up well today.

Now on to echoes...

Osuwari

Sagitario said:
What exactly does the HUD lag do? It looked the same to me in on or off...

it makes the energy/missile/radar/etc. indicators static or mobile when you turn around.

Never played MP2 on the Cube. Actually never finished Prime either untill I played it in Triology. Then I started Echoes for the first time.
That was a couple of months ago.

Tried to get back into it last week but I am seriously lost. I have the dark beam, but other than that I cannot remember what I did last. Oh well, I am only about 3 hours in, mave I'll just start over.

at that point you're supposed to enter a dark portal using the beam to visit the dark world and get the light beam.

it is probably control sensitivity. try using basic and then standard to see if the problem continues. try between turning on and off HUD lag too. i had motion sickness issues years ago with the GC versions and turning off HUD lag helped a bit (less stuff moving on-screen) and standard senitivity since advanced gave me the same motion sickness when i got mp3 initially.

JodyAnthony said:
Alright, my first time playing through any of the MP games. Finished up the first one at exactly 16 hours. Only 73% completed, which kinda sucks, but oh well.

I have a couple questions about friend vouchers: how do they work? and how do I get them?

MP1 was so good though.

basically, you send them to your friends and they become green credits in their save files and, to get green credits, your friends have to send you their friend vouchers.

cooljeanius said:
So I got the Nova Beam and just beat the Pirate Commander. I love locking onto Pirate Commandos with the X-ray visor once you have the Nova Beam, it's such a cool effect. Also liked the part where you have all the partner troops following you, it's cool to see them mixing up the gameplay every once in awhile, and plus it just felt awesome. Forget all the purists who insist Metroid has to be about isolation, I really liked having NPCs on my side.

i'm all for no NPCs or anything but that's one of the few parts they actually made things interesting and gave the player a task that had to be done very fast.
people hate NPCs mostly because they slow down the game 90% of the time (look at all those conversations in Fusion and the start of mp3)

Finally beat MP3. Ahhhhhh. A question: Why are there so many things requiring yellow tokens, but not enough bosses to unlock them all? Are you just supposed to grind for Red Phaazoids, or what? Anyway, still missing powerups in all 3 games, so I guess there's still that to do. Only got the satellites for Elysia and the Pirate Homeworld in 3, though, so I'll just have to find any powerups I missed on Norion or Bryyo or the Valhalla like I would for the previous 2 games.

Varjet

cooljeanius said:
Finally beat MP3. Ahhhhhh. A question: Why are there so many things requiring yellow tokens, but not enough bosses to unlock them all?
Start up a new game on Hyper-Mode. You'll get additional yellow tokens for beating bosses.

I recently bought a Wii, and aside from Super Mario Galaxy 2 ( which was the first game I purchased for it ), I immediately began to hunt down Metroid Prime Trilogy. The problem was, that it was seemingly becoming a bit of a rarity around here ( in Finland ). None of the local shops had it, nor did their warehouses. Yesterday, though, I took a trip to the capital, and boom, found a used copy at GameStop.

I had a GameCube back in the day - loved it to death, to be honest - and Metroid Prime was my most prized possession. I can still say, with absolute sincerity, that it is the best video-game of all time. To be able to play it with 16:9 support and Wii-motion controls... Well, the mere thought is giving me a huge nerd-boner right now.

Wii, I think I love you. :)

JohngPR

Metroid Prime 1 = beaten.

Glad to see I'm not the only one playing this in preparation for Other M. :)

I had originally bought the game when it came out years ago on the Game Cube. Although I really enjoyed the game for its feeling of isolation and ambiance, I only played it for a few hours before I forgot about it. I was a bit turned off by the awkward controls and lack of a strafing option.

I decided to give it a whirl and bought Metroid Prime Trilogy when it first came out. I finally found some time to play some more of it. :lol

You can see where Metroid Prime was an inspiration to games such as Bioshock (using methods other than cutscenes to tell backstory. Ex. audio diaries in Bioshock compared to scanning in Metroid Prime), Batman: Arkham Asylum (level structure and feeling of isolation), and Dead Space ( a little of both).

Collecting all of the artifacts got really tedious towards the end, but it was still a great game.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Yeah Metroid Prime 1 is freaking awesome. One of my favorite games for sure. Honestly, even though Prime 3 gets a lot of criticism when in comparison to Prime 1, I still loved it just as much. The only down side for me being the dialog and human characters. Some really cool things happen though for sure.

For me my favorites in order are:

Prime 1
Prime 3
Prime 2

They are all great however. I just love the Prime series..

[Nintex]

Extollere said:
Yeah Metroid Prime 1 is freaking awesome. One of my favorite games for sure. Honestly, even though Prime 3 gets a lot of criticism when in comparison to Prime 1, I still loved it just as much. The only down side for me being the dialog and human characters. Some really cool things happen though for sure.

For me my favorites in order are:

Prime 1
Prime 3
Prime 2

They are all great however. I just love the Prime series..
Prime 1 and 3 are both almost perfect in what they're trying to accomplish. Prime 1 nailed the atmosphere of discovering a hostile planet all by yourself while Prime 3 was actually more of a story driven game with some amazing set pieces. Prime 2 falls right in the middle of both. Too bad Aegon Wastes was truely a waste and the Dark World didn't feel like it belonged in a Metroid game. I would've actually prefered another environment.

Yazan

Time to bump this thread! Been replaying Prime (Trilogy-version of course) for the first time since 2004/2005 and it's still an amazing game. So beautiful.

Unbelievable that it have passed 8 years already. Somebody should create a birthday thread (Metroid Prime came out 17th November 2002)!

Sirius

Finally getting back to finishing MP3 and it still continues to blow my mind ...

Just walked into Ice Bryyo and my god I couldn't take it in at once... Never expected such a spiritual reference to Phendrana Drifts from Prime 1 [even the music is eerily similar].. and all out of the blue, almost literally.

It was then I realised that I should probably get the snapshot tool ASAP to capture such moments as they happen ;) .

Should probably pitch this now - I've got about 10 or so friend vouchers for MP3 to exchange .. anyone who still has vouchers and is willing to exchange please PM me.
Also - I highly doubt this would work - but has anyone tried exchanging the Trilogy Tokens for the original MP3 friend vouchers?

OMG Aero

Sirius said:
Should probably pitch this now - I've got about 10 or so friend vouchers for MP3 to exchange .. anyone who still has vouchers and is willing to exchange please PM me.
Also - I highly doubt this would work - but has anyone tried exchanging the Trilogy Tokens for the original MP3 friend vouchers?
I'm pretty sure that Trilogy and MP3 vouchers can't be traded together. Also NTSC and PAL games cannot trade with each other. If you happen to have a PAL version of the game I can try and trade vouchers with you though.
I have both Trilogy and MP3 so if you do have a PAL copy of the game, I can try trading Trilogy vouchers to MP3 and if that doesn't work we can just trade MP3 vouchers.

Sirius

Ahh I see. It would have been nice to have been able to exchange across the titles - but I can understand why that'd be counter productive in selling more Trilogy packs.

It just so happens that my copy is PAL, so I'll shoot you a PM momentarily - thanks for the prompt reply.

IrishNinja

so many archaic metroid threads to bump! which one will i choose?? i choose the fif this one!

so yes, pardon that bump, but i got this game at the tail end of last year, revisited Prime 1 and was quite happy with the revised control scheme (who made the call to have the GC 2nd analog swap visors instead of pan the camera!?), save for losing sync at a few less opportune moments it worked a lot better than what i recall.

just beat part 1, as well! great game, holds up impressively well for being nearly 10 years, too - backtracking at certain points had me longing for warp zones or the like, but that likely had more to do with me not looking very hard for energy tanks/artifacts which would've saved a lotta time. my question is:

so i just finished Prime 1, and am on a Metroid kick - should i go right into 2, or wiki it and jump to 3? ive also got Other M when they're tied up, just wondering @ 2 since ive heard so many mixed things about it here on GAF: it's brilliantly designed, it's horrifically flawed, backtracking is way worse, you have to experience it to do 3, etc.

Celine

Personally I regard the first one as the best.
Both MP2 and MP3 are really good but they do thing in opposite way.
MP2 is more kin on environment puzzles and exploration while MP3 is more action-y and linear.

IrishNinja

enivironment puzzles sound iffy, but exploration sounds good.
i started 3 on a rental years back, looking forward to getting back into it, but again a buddy insisted the plot from 2 carries over. is there a MP2DF around here?

Gelry

aka Bastiaan
I get motion sickness from MP2 :(
And play 2. It's really nice too. Although MP1 remains the best of the three in my opinion.

Shiggy

I still only played MP3 as I didn't really know where to go in MP1 (I barely tried MP2), MP3 was more structured in that regard.

Chuckpebble

When I first played 2, I got distracted near the end and put it down for such a long time that I had a really hard time finishing it when I returned to the same save file. When I replayed it on the Trilogy, though, it felt amazing. There were so many beautiful locales and neat little moments that for some reason my memory blended into the first game.

Haven't played in a while, but something neat that really helped me was the check mark in the bottom right of the map screen. If I saw something in a room I couldn't do my first time through, I hit that check mark and the room turned green to help me remember it later. I know that was introduced in Metroid Prime 3 but I can't remember if they added it to the other two games on the trilogy.

IrishNinja

that sounds like a really handy feature; i'm sadly not seeing it so far in 2.
i like how it opens with the logs/scenes of this battle with all these space marines - going from the isolation of 1 to this is like Alien to Aliens, in a sense, heh.

Sirius

Regardless of what people say about Echoes, it is a title definitely worth playing... few people will tell you that they actually regretted ever playing the second installment.

Sure, it's not as iconic as MP1..
Sure, the backtracking in the 2nd half could have been cut all together..

But let me tell you, some of the new gameplay mechanics and features (comp. to MP1) definitely made it worthwhile. Certain areas (looking at you
Sanctuary
) were brilliantly inspired and carried over by amazing artwork, and the enemies were a tad more challenging.

Some of the highlights in the game, without spoiling too much.. if anything

Suits: surprisingly new.
Worlds: more varied, and open, with subtle references to Metroid Prime 1.
Races: GFMC, Luminoth, expands MP Universe and leads into MP3.
Lore: GFMC Trooper Logs, the story behind the story.
Gameplay: New abilities (cf. MP1), some of which carry over into MP3.

benjipwns

Banned
There is no reason not to play Echoes. And it's my least favorite of the trilogy.

The Agon Wastes and Dark World early on are so oppressive you hate it, but it becomes one of the iconic and irreplaceable parts of the game when you reflect back. Same with the "spoke" world design.

Does Echoes have really shitty parts? Yes. Do all three games? Yes. Does Echoes maybe have some just outright horrific design decisions? Yes. Is that reason to bypass it? No. No, of course not.

For the boss fights alone you have to play Echoes.

Pookmunki

Bought a copy of this for £22 from a well known UK based second hand website. Considering this goes for upwards of £60 I was nervous as to the quality...

It came this morning and it is PRISTINE - very happy and looking forward to playing these 3 great games again :)

So I started playing Corruption for the first time on the Trilogy disk and although it has a different feel than the first 2 Prime titles, it's been entertaining thus far. I'm up to the first encounter with
Meta Ridley
and the lack of exploration and isolation is annoying but at least the action is paced fairly well. The linearity of the levels (at least thus far) seem to gel well with the controls - I haven't really felt motion sick at all with Corruption in the ~2 hours of gameplay.

In contrast, I can't play the original Prime with the pointer controls for more than 30 minutes without getting dizzy. Switching off the HUD lag and using basic sensitivity hasn't helped very much. The room with the 4 symbols just before Flaaghra involves so much turning and platforming. Maybe it's partially because I've played the game numerous times already and I'm trying to rush through the game but I think this is an example of why level design should always be developed alongside the control scheme(s) - the GCN controls worked so well with the first two Prime games. I don't know if I'll ever get through the Trilogy's version of Prime/Echoes at this rate. :/

Chuckpebble

That's weird that Corruption isn't doing that to you. I have no experience with motion sickness in general. Reading through your post I immediately wondered if it was the fact that the cursor is not rigidly locked to the center of the screen that helps you avoid those feelings, but then you mention that you feel it in Prime 1 & 2 with the same control setup.

Thats mysterious. I wonder if the viewing angle is slightly different between the games or something, or if it really is just certain motions you have to perform in the game.

About corruption, I have a very relaxed opinion about what a Metroid game should be, so at the risk of sounding naive, Prime 3 is my favorite Metroid game. I absolutely love the corruption mechanic and am saddened that I'll probably never get another game that uses that.

nan0

Anyone from PALland cares to exchange some friend vouchers for green tokens? I got six of them.

My friend code is 8956 7390 7329 7943.

Bigjelly

Banned
Sorry to bump this old thread, but seeing that I finally got my NEOGAF account approved :) and can't start a new thread yet I felt it would be a good idea to ask my question in this thread.

So I just got a Wii-U and I'm slowly filling in my backlog of older titles that are "Must Haves" until the Wii U gets some more titles I would like to play. I never had a Wii (btw).

Now I know this may be a sin, but I never played ANY of the 3D Metroid series and seeing that it's pretty hard to find the Trilogy anywhere under 75.00 used I was wondering if I really needed to play one and two prior to playing Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii. I can grab it for about $7.00 locally

I understand that one was great with little to no storyline, and two was pretty meh from some reviews I read so I was tempted to just grab 3 and read the wiki logs for 1 and 2 to catch up.

What I would like to know is if this is a mistake and 1 and 2 are pretty much required to get the backstory / timelines down?

Go gentle on my GAF first post and all. :)

Berordn

What I would like to know is if this is a mistake and 1 and 2 are pretty much required to get the backstory / timelines down?

Corruption stands pretty well on its own, it's the only one of the three to really have a standard FPS style narrative. If you look into a story synopsis for the first two you'd be up to speed in no time.

I'd still say it's a mistake just because 1 and 2 are fantastic and should be on everyone's required playing, but you don't miss anything pertinent to 3.

Ocaso

Sorry to bump this old thread, but seeing that I finally got my NEOGAF account approved :) and can't start a new thread yet I felt it would be a good idea to ask my question in this thread.

So I just got a Wii-U and I'm slowly filling in my backlog of older titles that are "Must Haves" until the Wii U gets some more titles I would like to play. I never had a Wii (btw).

Now I know this may be a sin, but I never played ANY of the 3D Metroid series and seeing that it's pretty hard to find the Trilogy anywhere under 75.00 used I was wondering if I really needed to play one and two prior to playing Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii. I can grab it for about $7.00 locally

I understand that one was great with little to no storyline, and two was pretty meh from some reviews I read so I was tempted to just grab 3 and read the wiki logs for 1 and 2 to catch up.

Go gentle on my GAF first post and all. :)

Not sure what reviews you read but 2 was anything but "meh". It took place in a more imaginative world, had more and better balanced abilities, and was at least as captivating as the original. Some people disliked the dark/light world as they felt it introduced unnecessary complexity and found the dark world unappealing, but I'd argue that the dark world was very much in line with the more bizarre areas of the 2D games and, provided you understood you weren't supposed to loiter for hours in it, was no more frustrating than any other puzzle in the game.

In any case, to answer your question, you're really not missing much in terms of story by skipping 1 and 2. Both are more about discovering the backstory of the planet and its inhabitants, obviously with a common thread that carries into 3, but that thread is a small part overall of each story to the point where each game is still enjoyable as standalone titles. They are worth playing in order for the gameplay changes that built on the previous ones, but that's also not wholly essential.

Indeed, I would try and search hard for a cheap copy of the whole Trilogy (somebody above posted that they got it for £22!) purely because MP1 and 2 are just such good games as well, and playing them in order would make it feel even better. If that's not an option though, you should still thoroughly enjoy MP3 on it's own.

If it comes down to it, it shouldn't be too hard to find Metroid Prime 1 and 2 on Game Cube. The cost of them seperately is certainly less than the going price for the Trilogy pack.

Although all the games are fairly stand alone I'd recomend playing MP1 first if you can help it, if only to see what the series generally is before you see how it steps away from it with MP3. MP2 is awesome but can be a little daunting. It's essentially MP1 but with it's gameness showing through more. It has more puzzles and a light/dark world, but everything was not nearly as subtly integrated into the environment as MP1.

Ocaso

If it comes down to it, it shouldn't be too hard to find Metroid Prime 1 and 2 on Game Cube. The cost of them seperately is certainly less than the going price for the Trilogy pack.

Although this is true, I for one think the gameplay enhancements afforded by the use of the Wiimote along with the implementation of widescreen and bloom make Trilogy so clearly superior that I can't imagine going back to the GC versions. Nintendo would be wise to release these as downloadable games on the WiiU, if not go for full remakes as with Wind Waker.

Top Bottom