• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

DJ_Tet

Banned
Just a heads up since it looks like I wasn't the only one looking for a copy of this game:

It's gone on clearance at most Targets this past week for $34.95.

Took me a long time to find one but I'm glad I did. The package is amazing. I held out on the game for a long time because I was upset as I had already bought Prime 3 for full price, and wished there was an option to get the first two games with the new controls. Especially since I bought those too already for GC.

Anyway, the package is out of print now, so if you're still looking there aren't a lot of retailers that still have it. I only saw a few besides Target, and at $35 they won't last long there. I had to ask someone to get my copy from the back.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Just checked it out, I love the way the controls make Prime 1 feel. I know there are some minor graphical differences between the cube games and the wiimakes, does anyone have a complete list?

Also, is Prime 3 the exact same game as one that comes stand-alone? I'm not going to get rid of my Prime 3 but it would be nice to know that they are exactly the same (or not.)

Got around to playing this some more, beat Bryyo. Love the Ice Missiles and Ship Missiles. Especially once I realized the ship missiles could be used even when there wasn't an icon for them. Decided to check out the friend vouchers, so I sent one to the two people who were white for me. If anyone has any to send back to me, let me know.

Sagitario

cooljeanius said:
Got around to playing this some more, beat Bryyo. Love the Ice Missiles and Ship Missiles. Especially once I realized the ship missiles could be used even when there wasn't an icon for them. Decided to check out the friend vouchers, so I sent one to the two people who were white for me. If anyone has any to send back to me, let me know.

Too bad the missiles feel nerfed :(
In what situation/places you could use the ship even when the icon was missing?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Argh, I'll have to track this down. It's already getting pretty damn expensive to buy new, Amazon has it listed at $61 new and $55 used. I still haven't played Prime 2 or 3 so it's a must have for me.

Sagitario said:
In what situation/places you could use the ship even when the icon was missing?
Well there was the arena where I had fought Rundas when pirates had come and landed in it... It's probably only outdoor areas where you can do it.

cooljeanius said:
I love carpet bombing a room full of creatures just for fun. :lol Whoever said it was useless, I hate you.

Foxix Von

I gotta get back to playing through MP2 on this. I'm still at the beginning but I already like it more than #1, which is strange since I feel like I'm in the minority here.

Bought it a while back from a gamecrazy going out of business for a good price, and the strategy guide just got pennied out from my local gamestop and my buddy gave it to me.

I have no excuse not to pick it back up :lol

Just picked ip up on Ebay. Sealed copy for 53.99 shipped.

I wonder why Nintendo did such a limited run of this game? People seem to want it, why not make it available?

DJ_Tet

Banned
FirstInHell said:
Just picked ip up on Ebay. Sealed copy for 53.99 shipped.

I wonder why Nintendo did such a limited run of this game? People seem to want it, why not make it available?

It must be the case I imagine. Surely isn't hard to print copies of the game. Of course perhaps they just want to keep selling Metroid Prime 3 for $40-$50 for a few years, can't imagine people bought Prime 3 while Trilogy was still on the shelves.

I don't have anyone on my friends list playing this game so hopefully others will trade friend codes with me and we can trade tokens or whatever. Just send me a PM if you are playing it.

goldenpp72

Damn, I bought this for 20 bucks new at best buy from a deal here awhile back, didn't know they were gonna become hard to find.

DEO3

Foxix said:
I gotta get back to playing through MP2 on this. I'm still at the beginning but I already like it more than #1, which is strange since I feel like I'm in the minority here.

I originally bought Echoes for the Gamecube and never finished it. In fact I quit before I even finished Agon Wastes, the dark world was just too punishing and I wanted nothing to do with it. But replaying it in Trilogy, I found the item you get from the Agon Wastes' temple boss makes the game so much better. Now I'm in the swamp and no longer dread swapping back and forth between words, and actually find the multi dimensional puzzles fairly engaging. I wish the game had a bit more color to it, as the desaturated dying world theme does get old after a while - I find myself longing for the contrast between lands the first game had, like going from Phendrana Drifts to Magmoor Caverns was a pretty big change of scenery, likewise Talon Overworld to Chozo Ruins.

Lkr

I bought this today for $24 new at Target. I didn't find much enjoyment in Hunters or Echoes, but I'll give it a shot with Wii controls I guess.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The bumping of this thread reminded me to check again if my Gamestop got any copies of this in...sure enough, they do.
One copy available and tomorrow is payday, if I can move fast it will be mine. :D

Silkworm

Lkr said:
I bought this today for $24 new at Target. I didn't find much enjoyment in Hunters or Echoes, but I'll give it a shot with Wii controls I guess.
Wow, what a lucky person. I couldn't find a new copy of it anywhere but then stumbled across it at the sort-of-run-down local K-Mart and was happy I could buy it for $50 + tax. Everwhere else online I had looked it was either unavailable or going for $60 at the very least. Anyway, I'm still trying to get accustomed to how much shooting there is in this version of Metroid Prime (seems very different than MP1 & 2 in that respect) and using the hypermode more. So far I feel like I've been struggling more with the mid-boss and boss fights than I should be but I've been avoiding using the hypermode so maybe if I use it more it will make things a little less daunting. *shrug*

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
One question: Are the Metroid 1 and 2 remakes playable in 16:9 widescreen? I hate having those black spaces on each side of the screen.

Struct09

Snuggler said:
One question: Are the Metroid 1 and 2 remakes playable in 16:9 widescreen? I hate having those black spaces on each side of the screen.

Yes, all three games can run 16:9 in the Trilogy

So I got stuck in a halfpipe I can't seem to get out of in the Pirate Homeworld in 3, so I've gone back to 1 to see if I can find the ice charge combo, which I seem to have missed. Haven't received any friend vouchers yet from people I've sent them to or talked to.

I've finally got back to Metroid Prime 2 today and so far my progress has been really good, but I can't beat the fucking Power Bomb Guardian.

I realise it's an easy boss fight, but something isn't clicking. I can get to the two bomb slots that have direct paths easily, but the other two I can't reach. Even if I place myself directly under the pieces of track that lead up to them and boost with B, I just jump backwards towards the boss, rather than up. I've tried holding exactly up with the nunchuck stick etc etc but I can't get it work.

Tips? How am I being so stupid?

Varjet

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've finally got back to Metroid Prime 2 today and so far my progress has been really good, but I can't beat the fucking Power Bomb Guardian.

I realise it's an easy boss fight, but something isn't clicking. I can get to the two bomb slots that have direct paths easily, but the other two I can't reach. Even if I place myself directly under the pieces of track that lead up to them and boost with B, I just jump backwards towards the boss, rather than up. I've tried holding exactly up with the nunchuck stick etc etc but I can't get it work.

Use bombs.

scitek

Foliorum Viridum said:

Place bombs on the track and they'll boost you up. B boosts you away from the track.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
MarshMellow96 said:
Can any of UK GAF say anything about its availability?

I'm hoping to get two copies and keep one sealed...

Amazon UK have about 14 copies left for new as of writing £28.99 each
gamestation have none in stock
zaavi,the hut, and gamesstation all out of stock

So I just beat Gandrayda. It was pretty epic. First I was like,
"Hey, a Federation Trooper! Cool, maybe we'll have some fun co-op action! What a great troll on everyone who insists Metroid has to be about isolation!" Then I got to the top of the elevator and realized the troll was on me. :lol
Besides that, I got all the friend vouchers I need thanks to a GAFfer. The friend voucher interface kind of could have used some more work, as they don't all come in one set, and the first time I got some, I didn't realize what I was doing and didn't convert any of them into credits.

Aru

Foliorum Viridum said:

That boss was the most annoying of the entire Prime series for me. I was so frustrated -_-
He's not hard, just stupidly annoying.
It's was a good idea, but I didn't like how the concept was put in the game.

I quite liked it once I realised I was doing it wrong. :lol It's a shame that I interpreted what I had to do wrong for so long.

I'm right near the end of 2 now and overall I'm still not feeling it. There's something huge lacking in it that I can't quite pinpoint, but it's nowhere near as good as the first one in my mind.

oatmeal

Banned
I need to get back into this...still have never beat 2 or 3.

Also, teh Smith's grocery store by my house has a games vending machine, and it has a couple copies in it. Might be used, can't remmeber.

Beat MP3 just yesterday.

Loading times were a nuisance.

Game was noticeably more linear than the others, at least there was no darkworld.

The story just shat on itself, normally this wouldn't be a problem but each MP sequel had more plot emphasis than the last which just made it more blatant.

I miss some of the morphball stuff from MP2.

Finished 2.

The
fetch quest for all 9 keys
at the end killed any remaining fondness I had for the game. It just felt like an exact copy of the first game and I didn't have fun doing it. Plus it made me use the dark/light world feature which I already hated.

So yeah, a pretty bad taste in my mouth overall now. I can't say it's a bad game, but it's not overly enjoyable after a certain point, which is just as damning.

I'm hoping MP3 will be a return to form and differ from the structure of the first two games.

Rebought a Wii, grabbed the last copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy in the Melbourne CBD. :D

Question - I have a 50-inch Panny Viera Plasma. Does the image quality of Trilogy hold up at 480p on a big screen? Or does it look like a pixelated mess and I should stick to my SDTV?

If it looks good, I'll go out and grab some component cables for the Wii.

_Alkaline_ said:
Rebought a Wii, grabbed the last copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy in the Melbourne CBD. :D

Question - I have a 50-inch Panny Viera Plasma. Does the image quality of Trilogy hold up at 480p on a big screen? Or does it look like a pixelated mess and I should stick to my SDTV?

If it looks good, I'll go out and grab some component cables for the Wii.
Corruption holds up better than just about any other Wii game on an HD set imo. Prime and Echoes show their age a bit more.

Outtrigger888 said:
Couldnt find this game anywhere but found a copy at walmart using the find in store option on there website.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Metroid-Prime-Trilogy-Wii-Wii/11974300

There was a few more stores around me that had some in stock. If anyone really wants a copy id be willing to pick it up and ship it to them.

Thanks for that. I just went to my local Walmart yesterday and they gave me this big stink about how they don't have it and cannot look it up. Yet this link show they have it in stock.

zigg

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Corruption holds up better than just about any other Wii game on an HD set imo. Prime and Echoes show their age a bit more.

That said, they both still look really good on my 42" plasma.

I was still worried about burn-in (set is almost a year old now) at the time so I turned off the helmet framing and reduced the HUD opacity. In retrospect, that made it look even better, so win. :D

GrotesqueBeauty said:

Have only played Prime so far, but on my 50inch Panasonic Plasma at 480p it looks fantastic at times. Turning down the sharpness smoothed the image and the colours just really pop out. Compared to playing it on my SDTV, it's a real step-up, and the huge bonus is that I can now use my surround sound set-up with the game now. The only area which shows its age, really, is the water and some texturing. But both looked pretty average when the game came out anyway. The real strength is the environmental detail and lighting.

I've only played up to landing on the Tallon Overworld, but so far I really like the changes made. Movement is just a lot smoother and feels as good as it did in Corruption. Like the addition of some bloom, it's subtle but helps in the more 'plain' areas of the game like metallic corridors and such.

Question - I have my Wii set to 16:9 and my TV set to 16:9. There are still black borders on the sides and top/bottom. They're not huge but probably a couple of inches. Text when using the scan visor is also a bit stretched.

If I change my TV aspect to Just, the writing is no longer stretched and the black bars, though still present, are very slight. However, the image does seem a bit squashed - in that things become skinnier. So text is improved but objects look a bit too thin.

I can't decide between the two aspects. I'm assuming 16:9 is the correct aspect but the stretched writing makes me think otherwise. Can anyone tell me which is the way to go? Those with a Viera might be best at this, but hopefully anyone can help me out. It's kinda frustrating me because both have their positives and drawbacks.

Oh, and should I enable overscan or not? I currently do not have it enabled.

Schlomo

_Alkaline_ said:
The only area which shows its age, really, is the water and some texturing.

Well the water looks worse than in the GC version, as we know...

_Alkaline_ said:
I can't decide between the two aspects. I'm assuming 16:9 is the correct aspect but the stretched writing makes me think otherwise. Can anyone tell me which is the way to go?

16:9 is correct of course. The text is stretched because they didn't bother to recreate the 2D elements for widescreen.

_Alkaline_ said:
Oh, and should I enable overscan or not? I currently do not have it enabled.

Enable it, it should get rid of the borders.

Schlomo said:
Well the water looks worse than in the GC version, as we know...

Honestly, the water looked horrible in GC games anyway so I can barely notice the difference, and I've played these games more times than I can imagine. Even if they aren't as 'interactive' the water was always Prime's glaring visual weakness. Echoes was only a little bit better.

Schlomo said:
16:9 is correct of course. The text is stretched because they didn't bother to recreate the 2D elements for widescreen.

Enable it, it should get rid of the borders.

Ok, I'll keep the 16:9 then. I've read that some people keep their Wii at 4:3 because stretching hurts the image quality, but playing Prime on a full screen and still managing to look great is something that I refuse to get rid of.

As for overscan, I've always been a bit confused on it - I thought it was a bad thing to enable on games? But if you say it's good, I'll go for it. I was confused as to whether it hurt the image quality.

Sagitario

IIRC [unless it has changed on newer Viera models], you can only change the overscan/scanning area when using HD signals: size 1 (95%) or size 2 (100%) and that's it.

You can't really do anything about the black bars... the console is outputting a 640x480 signal, but the game is not displaying that many pixels unfortunately...

Edit:
Also, Just = 4:3, Full = 16:9.
So, if you set your Wii to 16:9, use Full. If you set it to 4:3 but don't want the gray bars, use Just.

I only played the echoes one in the serie, I was bored by the constant need to shot on/Turn on "light pillar" when you are in the dark world. Is the other games in the serie better?

Davey Cakes

I don't personally think Echoes is the least enjoyable (for me it's MP3), but all three games are different enough that you can't predict what people will and will not like about them. Some folks (like myself) think the original Metroid Prime is the best, but there are some that think MP3 is the best.

I would say that Echoes is probably the most polarizing of the games, so it's the worst indication of whether or not you'll enjoy the series. The best place to start is with the original Metroid Prime, especially now since it can be played with Corruption's controls.

Currently playing through Metroid Prime (just made it to the mines) and the addition of bloom does so much for this game. It gives it that soft look that Corruption had, and while it may sometimes make the game look a tad washed out, it really gives the texturing and particles a much more appealing look. Suffice to say, despite the fact I've played through Prime at least three or four times, to have both wii controls and improved visuals is just such a great experience that it feels almost brand new to me.

senahorse

I am playing through these games at the moment (currently playing the first) but have some issues with widescreen. It's playing in widescreen (wii set to 16:9, 480P and am using official Nintendo component cables) but with a black border around the whole screen (about an inch wide), the wii has the correct settings and other games seem to be ok just not this. I am playing on a Kuro and have set the screen to "Full" but that only elminates the black borders from the top and the bottom, has anyone else seen this before?

x3n05 said:
I am playing through these games at the moment (currently playing the first) but have some issues with widescreen. It's playing in widescreen (wii set to 16:9, 480P and am using official Nintendo component cables) but with a black border around the whole screen (about an inch wide), the wii has the correct settings and other games seem to be ok just not this. I am playing on a Kuro and have set the screen to "Full" but that only elminates the black borders from the top and the bottom, has anyone else seen this before?

Yep, it's not just you, don't worry.

I have my TV set to overscan so that most of the bordering goes away, but a little bit remains on the sides.

scitek

x3n05 said:

Yes, it's a known issue because the games aren't outputting at the Wii's full 640x480 resolution, so there's some noticeable bars. If you have an overscan option, turn it on and it will slightly crop the image and hide the bars for you, if not, you'll just have to deal with it. Other games, like Red Steel, have the same issue. It sucks, but there's nothing you can do about it.

senahorse

Thanks Scitek and _Alkaline_, I will just put up with it, certainly isn't a major problem.

Just beat Thardus, the point at where I stopped playing it on GCN about 2 years ago, he gave me a headache. This time however I beat him first go, though only had 14 health of my last tank left, continued on, got killed before saving and had to beat him again, this time with 3 tanks (out of 5) remaining :lol

Top Bottom