• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

upandaway

Shanks said:
I can't find this game anywhere here in Atlanta. Pissing me off as I just got back into the Wii and such and this is nowhere to be found. Are they still printing this or what?
About that....

hyduK

Banned
So I'm going through MP3, and I can't help but notice how horrendous the controls are for this game. I've got the control scheme set to advanced which everyone seems to recommend. It basically all comes from the fact that the reticle does not stay centred on the screen. I'll randomly turn in battles, you basically need to hold the lock-on button to even keep running straight while NOT fighting. The whole thing feels like a giant tech-demo to be honest, like they were so desperate to show how many things you could do with motion-controls that they just stuck them at every turn....I'm only an hour in and I've already had to 'pull your Wiimote away from the screen, turn clockwise, push back in' upwards of 5 times. It adds NOTHING to the game.

I'll give it another shot tonight, hopefully I'll adjust (Metroid Prime is one of my favorites of all time, so I really do want to like this).

Red

hyduK said:
So I'm going through MP3, and I can't help but notice how horrendous the controls are for this game. I've got the control scheme set to advanced which everyone seems to recommend. It basically all comes from the fact that the reticle does not stay centred on the screen. I'll randomly turn in battles, you basically need to hold the lock-on button to even keep running straight while NOT fighting. The whole thing feels like a giant tech-demo to be honest, like they were so desperate to show how many things you could do with motion-controls that they just stuck them at every turn....I'm only an hour in and I've already had to 'pull your Wiimote away from the screen, turn clockwise, push back in' upwards of 5 times. It adds NOTHING to the game.

I'll give it another shot tonight, hopefully I'll adjust (Metroid Prime is one of my favorites of all time, so I really do want to like this).
Yes, they're awful. There were so many concessions made to implement the controls that the entire game suffers for them. Keep track of the bosses you fight. Notice how every one of them is essentially the same. Each will shoot an energy ball you need to hit to bounce back, and each will use a shockwave attack you need to jump over. There are like two or three exceptions, and every encounter with Ridley is pretty incredible. The whole rest of the game is such a disappointment.

I had your same mindset when I played through it. I wanted to like it so bad because of the strength of its predecessors, but it wasn't happening. It was simply a poor game. Think of it as Metroid bite-sized, with compartimentalized four to five room sections divided by a lot of needless exposition. It's almost like Retro took a page from the Sonic Team school of thought, shitty friends included.

hyduK said:

So what you're really saying is that you can't keep your arm steady. That's not the game's fault. You might as well switch back to a control scheme with a bigger dead zone if you're having pointer issues. Hell, you can even switch it to the older lock on style from Prime and Echoes if you want.

Crunched said:
Yes, they're awful. There were so many concessions made to implement the controls that the entire game suffers for them. Keep track of the bosses you fight. Notice how every one of them is essentially the same. Each will shoot an energy ball you need to hit to bounce back, and each will use a shockwave attack you need to jump over. There are like two or three exceptions, and every encounter with Ridley is pretty incredible. The whole rest of the game is such a disappointment.

I had your same mindset when I played through it. I wanted to like it so bad because of the strength of its predecessors, but it wasn't happening. It was simply a poor game. Think of it as Metroid bite-sized, with compartimentalized four to five room sections divided by a lot of needless exposition. It's almost like Retro took a page from the Sonic Team school of thought, shitty friends included.
None of those problems are because of the controls.

Rich!

Let me just say, I brought Metroid Prime back when it was released almost a decade ago, and from that point on it ended up as my favourite game. Ever. Played through it countless times.

After playing through it on Metroid Prime Trilogy though, I honestly cannot get to grips with playing with the gamecube controls on the original again. I love the amount of control and fluidity you get with the wii remote/nunchuk setup - and to be totally honest, it makes the gamecube controls seem clunky and outdated IMO.

farnham

Banned
richisawesome said:
Let me just say, I brought Metroid Prime back when it was released almost a decade ago, and from that point on it ended up as my favourite game. Ever. Played through it countless times.

After playing through it on Metroid Prime Trilogy though, I honestly cannot get to grips with playing with the gamecube controls on the original again. I love the amount of control and fluidity you get with the wii remote/nunchuk setup - and to be totally honest, it makes the gamecube controls seem clunky and outdated IMO.
the controls of prime (not being dual analog) were the main complaint about the game back then. it was even outdated back then.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If you have two fully functioning upper limbs and can't play the Trilogy with the Wii remote then you suck. It's that simple. I mean not being able to keep the reticule centered while moving? Come on.

I thought the original GC controls were a doddle as well. Both styles work great.

Rich!

farnham said:
the controls of prime (not being dual analog) were the main complaint about the game back then.

Yeah, I remember - but back then we had no alternative. There was only one control set-up for it, and if you didn't like it then tough luck.

Now we essentially have the dual-stick control that the game needed in the first place, with the wii remote and nunchuck. And it's awesome. And if you don't like it, then play the gamecube version. Everyone's happy.

MNC

elohel said:
lol they stopped selling it right?

bawls
You might find some retailer selling it; There's still lots of copies I can find. They're just not printing them anymore, so once they sell out: they're gone.

Red

GrotesqueBeauty said:
MP3's bosses were tailored to bring out the "strengths" of the wiimote, and they were all very, very similar because of that. There's a whole lot of aiming at amorphous pools of energy to reflect back at big monsters. It was a problem I had, not caused directly by the controls, but as a result of that control scheme being implemented.

I have other issues with the wiimote, but that's a problem with the console, not any particular game.

hyduK

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
So what you're really saying is that you can't keep your arm steady. That's not the game's fault. You might as well switch back to a control scheme with a bigger dead zone if you're having pointer issues. Hell, you can even switch it to the older lock on style from Prime and Echoes if you want.

No, I'm saying that FPS controls on the Wii are flawed and all of the issues are caused by the reticle not being locked to the center.

hyduK said:
No, I'm saying that FPS controls on the Wii are flawed and all of the issues are caused by the reticle not being locked to the center.
And yet the majority of people in this thread played through the game without issue. I guess this is one of those "everyone's crazy but me!" situations, eh?

hyduK

Banned
richisawesome said:
Yeah, I remember - but back then we had no alternative. There was only one control set-up for it, and if you didn't like it then tough luck.

Now we essentially have the dual-stick control that the game needed in the first place, with the wii remote and nunchuck. And it's awesome. And if you don't like it, then play the gamecube version. Everyone's happy.
Yeah, except it's not as good as a dual analog setup, and lightyears behind a M+KB setup. MP and MP2 controlled beautifully on the GC actually, but that was before Nintendo decided to turn the series into a tech-demo for controls.

I like what the Wiimote has done for controls, but putting it in there for the sake of having it when it adds nothing to the game is inexcusable.

JimboJones

I think the boss fights in MP3 where probably the only thing I didn't like in that game, didn't seem as varied or interesting as the other games.

I didn't really mind the motion stuff though it worked and was very intuitive so I never felt it got in the way I still remember pulling out those energy canisters for the first time using the wiimote and been blown away at how good it felt and I loved ripping energy shields of enemies.

hyduK

Banned
JimboJones said:
I think the boss fights in MP3 where probably the only thing I didn't like in that game, didn't seem as varied or interesting as the other games.

I didn't really mind the motion stuff though it worked and was very intuitive so I never felt it got in the way I still remember pulling out those energy canisters for the first time using the wiimote and been blown away at how good it felt and I loved ripping energy shields of enemies.
The grabble beam stuff seems to work pretty well with the nunchuck, but the stuff with the Wiimote is iffy. The fact that instructions pop up on the screen everytime you have to do the pull, twist, push sequence pretty much proves that it's not intuitive and that even Nintendo/Retro knew that.

hyduK said:
Yeah, except it's not as good as a dual analog setup, and lightyears behind a M+KB setup. MP and MP2 controlled beautifully on the GC actually, but that was before Nintendo decided to turn the series into a tech-demo for controls.

I like what the Wiimote has done for controls, but putting it in there for the sake of having it when it adds nothing to the game is inexcusable.
You're right it's not as good as dual analog, it's way better. It's incredibly smooth and precise. I honestly had a hard time going back to the old games because I'd gotten so spoiled by Corruptions controls.

And if it's any comfort I hated the beginning too. It gets way better.

Rich!

Crescendo170 said:
You're right it's not as good as dual analog, it's way better. It's not incredibly fast in Prime 3, but incredibly smooth and precise. I honestly had a hard time going back to the old games because I'd gotten spoiled by Corruptions controls.

Exactly. It's a massive improvement on the original gamecube controls.

Maxrunner

hyduK said:

what??dual analog is almost as archaic as the wii graphics chip.....if anything wiimote fps is the natural evolution of console fps....

JimboJones

hyduK said:
The grabble beam stuff seems to work pretty well with the nunchuck, but the stuff with the Wiimote is iffy. The fact that instructions pop up on the screen everytime you have to do the pull, twist, push sequence pretty much proves that it's not intuitive and that even Nintendo/Retro knew that.

*shrug* I never had a problem with it.

1-D_FTW

Ushojax said:
If you have two fully functioning upper limbs and can't play the Trilogy with the Wii remote then you suck. It's that simple. I mean not being able to keep the reticule centered while moving? Come on.

I thought the original GC controls were a doddle as well. Both styles work great.

Playing through it right now and after about 4-5 hours I've become a ninja with it. I like to run through environments and (without lock on targeting) just blast everything I can see with 1 shot kills. Finally an acceptable alternative to the mouse for me. I can go back to playing shooters on consoles once these things become standard.

Ataturk

I'm currently playing MP3 and I find the controls to be great, very natural. I wouldn't want to control every FPS like this, as you do have to sit a certain way that you wouldn't normally, but I'm a fan of this control method. Just from playing a few hours of this game, I'm now interested in other first person games on the Wii.

Guevara

Ataturk said:
I'm currently playing MP3 and I find the controls to be great, very natural. I wouldn't want to control every FPS like this, as you do have to sit a certain way that you wouldn't normally, but I'm a fan of this control method. Just from playing a few hours of this game, I'm now interested in other first person games on the Wii.

I know the feeling, and it's a total letdown that no one else replicated that feeling. I'll save you the heartache and suggest you play RE:4 Wii Edition and skip all the other Wii shooters :mad:

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Guevara said:
I know the feeling, and it's a total letdown that no one else replicated that feeling. I'll save you the heartache and suggest you play RE:4 Wii Edition and skip all the other Wii shooters :mad:

Red Steel 2 did a decent job of mimicking MP3. I know the shooting wasn't the focus, but it was just as smooth to play.

Played some more of MP3 the other day, and seriously, fuck Hyper Mode. Every time I've died so far has either been because I didn't switch into Hyper Mode at the right time, or I did switch into Hyper Mode and then went corrupt. I wish the + button were used for switching weapons like in the first two... Anyway, it is cool though that standing in Phazon pools that would have hurt you in the first two games instead heals you in the third game. Feels totally weird.

Christine

It's almost trivially easy to avoid dying to corruption in Hyper mode. Just keep shooting - if you're in the red already don't try to charge the beam, just keep pressing A. Later in the game, enemies can throw more damage and overload your meter faster, but by that point you'll have the Hyper missile. The only real challenge to using Hyper mode is in not fully depleting the meter, so you get the whole 30 seconds worth out of your E-tank. There are a couple of enemies that will actually force you out of the mode, which is pretty annoying, but there's no excuse for letting corruption claim you.

Osuwari

the trick to abuse hyper mdoe is to keep the red bar down, not let it rise too much and not let it run out to use all the time available. regular shots are the best way to keep the meter in check.
btw, the last bosses are tough in hypermode so be preparing yourself mentally for them.

i spotted one new copy for $30 in a local shop. that will make a neat collector's item since i'll keep it sealed and it might be worth much more in some years.

I never had any issues with the controls. To me Prime 3 is the pinnacle of the series and the most replayable. Excuse me while I go hug my copy of Trilogy.

Osuwari

hyduK said:

"advanced" is pretty overrated imo. you can do just fine with the standard sensitivity if you anticipate where you're going and where you're looking at. trust me. i got though the hardest difficulties in all 3 games with the standard sensitivity and had no real issues with the controls (those push and pull thingies suck any way you look at them)

hyduK said:

I love the controls for Prime 3, I didn't care for it so much when I first tried but I think it just takes some getting use to, I hope it gets better for you.

Man, playing through Prime 1 with the Wii controls was phenomenal, it just felt so right.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is easily my favorite game(s) on the Wii.

Sagitario

Osuwari said:
btw, the last bosses are tough in hypermode so be preparing yourself mentally for them.

Indeed. The final boss is really annoying because it takes way too much time to get to the last part and if you die, you've to start all over again from phase 1 =\

Finally moving on to MP2. I've previously beaten MP1 twice on NGC, and once on the Trilogy a few months ago. I've never gotten around to my MP2 disc on NGC, and I'm glad to be able to play it with superior controls.

Initial impressions are positive, and I just beat Dark Samus for the first time. The game lacks the "wow factor" of the original MP, which I don't believe is a result of its age, as the original still manages to impress me with its environments. It may have just started out on a soft note, as Agon Wastes is not that impressive of an area. The Light/Dark dynamic is neat, and I'm not frustrated by the Dark environment, as has been debated previously.

So, we'll see if it can live up to the original. Right now, everything just seems "muted", from architecture to music. The controls are still spot-on, and the game is a joy to play though.

Beast the Boost Guardian last night, and I don't really see what all the muss and fuss is about. Five fully charged light beam shots are enough to take care of it, and both the ball and puddle forms were pretty easy to dodge. I think I lost only two energy tanks throughout the fight, and that was with some sloppy playing.

Just reached Torvus Bog underground, and I pretty much freaked out when I heard the music, a remix of Brinstar (Red Soil). Damn, probably one of the greatest Metroid tunes perfectly remixed.

SabinFigaro said:
Beast the Boost Guardian last night, and I don't really see what all the muss and fuss is about. Five fully charged light beam shots are enough to take care of it, and both the ball and puddle forms were pretty easy to dodge. I think I lost only two energy tanks throughout the fight, and that was with some sloppy playing.

Same.

Anyway. In the Sanctuary Fortress.

Is it me or does the Dark World ruin almost everything? Save for a few well done puzzles it really only serves as a copy/pasta nuisance.

I really need to go back to MP2. It was good just... nothing spectacular. Seemed like a rehash of the first Prime, more than anything.

I just opened up the third bit, so I must be quite near the end. I was just finding it tedious going between the light and dark world. Eh I might go back tonight actually and see if I can motivate myself to finish it. :)

SabinFigaro said:
I think I read that they made him easier in MP Trilogy. Though I don't remember having too much difficulty with him in the GC version either.

I gave the multiplayer mode a second try with my brother now that I've unlocked the remaining maps. I like it more now that I've gotten used to the game through the single player, but the multiplayer maps are really designed for more than 2 players. With only 2 you're mostly wandering around the map trying to find the other player; with more there's usually some sort of action going on. Besides that, haven't gotten around to really making much process in MP3, although people's hypermode explanations in this thread have been useful.

I beat MP2 this weekend, after a few marathon sessions. It took just under 11 hours to get 100% items and scans.

After 2/3 through, I started getting burn-out. I really enjoyed Sanctuary Fortress, but MP2 as a whole doesn't have a lot of variety, especially compared to MP. I feel somewhat hesitant saying this, as there was so much content jam-packed (it honestly felt like too much at times). I'm also a huge proponent of backtracking and exploration in the Metroid series, but I was getting seriously annoyed at light world-->dark world-->light-->dark (repeat ad naseum) when it came to searching for the Sky Temple keys. Hell, I even broke out a guide for the last 20 or so expansions without even trying to search on my own.

That isn't to say I didn't enjoy my time. The design is super-tight as always, with excellent implementation of all of Samus' abilities. The environments were very-well designed, and the music (for the most part) was fitting. There was certainly a plethora of bosses, which can be good or bad, depending on your perspective. I really enjoyed the different abilities they possessed, and I found the Spider Guardian fight to be especially memorable. As a whole, the game felt more artificial than the first, which I believe had an "organic" feel. Although, I really have to wonder where my criticisms would stand if this was not a sequel, as I consider the original to be virtually perfect.

SabinFigaro said:
Although, I really have to wonder where my criticisms would stand if this was not a sequel, as I consider the original to be virtually perfect.

The criticisms would still be valid imo. The biggest weakness in Echoes is the repeated fetchquests that pop up throughout the game. The exploring/backtracking in the Metroid series typically reward the player via power-ups and ability upgrades. Finding x number of keys to unlock the next area fails in that regard so the experience becomes a lot more tedious in nature.

The artifact search in the original Prime was meh but it wasn't something that was forced on to you multiple times during the game. You didn't NEED to do anything with them until the end but you could grab one or two during normal gameplay if you cared to. Retro took one of the minor, minor flaws of the original and exacerbated it in the sequel.

Beat Prime 2.

The final boss sequence in this one is better than in the first Prime. Too bad so many things other than bosses and morph ball sequences were worse.

I just want to say that my (non-gamer) girlfriend is playing (trying to?) through the trilogy. She just got started and beat the Parasite Queen on her first try, but died when trying to escape the space station (mostly due to my screaming NO GO RIGHT, NO LEFT, GO INTO MORPHBALL, NO JUMP!) :lol.

:D This game rocks. I love watching her play. :D

gogojira

My local Target still has a few copies. I'd assume most of you in the hunt for it have already went by Target, but if you haven't, I'd give it a shot.

DEO3

Funny seeing this thread on page 1, as I just got back from quite a (first person) adventure, in search of copy to call my very own.

My anticipation for Other M has got me on a Metroid kick lately. Since E3 I've played through Zero Mission (for the first time) and Super Metroid (for the first time... in 15 years) and needed more, so I decided to go hunt down a copy of the Prime Trilogy. Gamestop.com finally listed a used copy at a 'nearby' (meaning an hour away) location. I call them to confirm they do in fact have it before I waste two hours of my day and am told 'yes, we have it'.

I hop in my car, get on the interstate, and an hour later I'm staring at a confused clerk who can't find the game. Their computer says they have a copy at their location, but they can't find the case or disk and aren't sure what to tell me. The manager starts to call around and finds me a copy at another location, 30 more minutes away. I figure I've come this far, mine as well finish the job.

I hop in my car, get on the interstate, and half an hour later I'm staring at a confused clerk who can't. find. the. game. The awesome metal case Trilogy came in is nowhere to be found - but in time they're able to find me the disk, threw it in one of those paper sleeves that PC games come in, charged me $50 for a caseless used game that came out a year ago, and called it a day. But hey, I can't complain too much as I'm now the proud owner of one of the greatest game series ever created. And it only took 4 hours.

VAIL

DEO3 said:
Funny seeing this thread on page 1, as I just got back from quite a (first person) adventure, in search of copy to call my very own.

My anticipation for Other M has got me on a Metroid kick lately. Since E3 I've played through Zero Mission (for the first time) and Super Metroid (for the first time... in 15 years) and needed more, so I decided to go hunt down a copy of the Prime Trilogy. Gamestop.com finally listed a used copy at a 'nearby' (meaning an hour away) location. I call them to confirm they do in fact have it before I waste two hours of my day and am told 'yes, we have it'.

I hop in my car, get on the interstate, and an hour later I'm staring at a confused clerk who can't find the game. Their computer says they have a copy at their location, but they can't find the case or disk and aren't sure what to tell me. The manager starts to call around and finds me a copy at another location, 30 more minutes away. I figure I've come this far, mine as well finish the job.

I hop in my car, get on the interstate, and half an hour later I'm staring at a confused clerk who can't. find. the. game. The awesome metal case Trilogy came in is nowhere to be found - but in time they're able to find me the disk, threw it in one of those paper sleeves that PC games come in, charged me $50 for a caseless used game that came out a year ago, and called it a day. But hey, I can't complain too much as I'm now the proud owner of one of the greatest game series ever created. And it only took 4 hours.

I would have totally pushed over a magazine rack on my way out.

mjc

DEO3 said:

With all the money you would have had to spend on gas you could have just bought it online for $50-$80 and called it a day.

Top Bottom