• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

As I've gotten older (27 now) I get increasingly frustrated with games that are confusing or very difficult. I used to love challenge and exploring a lot to find where to go, but recently if I'm lost in a game for 10 minutes I usually just stop playing it completely.

Would you say I should avoid this trilogy?

That's a shame, because I'd have to say you will probably get frustrated then.

It's totally worth every second of headscratching though.

codhand

Echoes is a terrible game.

upset-jaguars-fan.gif

J@hranimo

Banned
Bought for $10, downloading....doing my part in support of "hey Nintendo, maybe you guys should decide on what to do with the next Metroid game?"

Haven't played this trilogy in over 4 years. Gonna be fun playing them over again in the future :)

Verger

Banned
I was literally pulling up Amazon to order a Wii U while reading the OT and stopped as soon as I saw "motion controls only".
There is barely any "motion" or "waggle" to the controls. It's mostly pointing at the screen to aim which is pretty damn smooth if you play with the settings.

Any "waggle" or more involved motions are in Corruption, and even then it's only a flick of the wrist with the nunchuck, or pushing and pulling with the wiimote. Nothing like Skyward Sword.

LoveCake

I still have my Gamecube version!

Quick question, has there been any graphical upgrades or any other tweaks to these games?

Frodo

Not sure this is the best place to ask, but how can I configure the screen size when in Wii mode?

There is around an inch and a half of the screen on all sides not being used when I boot the game (and no, it is not the different resolution of Corruption).

I was literally pulling up Amazon to order a Wii U while reading the OT and stopped as soon as I saw "motion controls only".

It is not really "motion" controls (except for the very few tiny parts in MP3).
You do a lot more motion with your right hand when you play a FPS with mouse and keyboard than playing Metroid with a Wiimote.
The only slightly moving part of your body is your right wrist.

Rean

Is Super Metroid on discount right now if you buy the trilogy? I just bought it and I saw that it was $1.50

Feichaw

Buying it tomorrow. I'm excited! I'm a huge Metroid fan, but I've never played the Prime trilogy. I've only heard good things about the games so I'm sure I'll like them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
MP3 > MP2 < MP1

Figure that out.

No comparison between 3 and 1 other than you like both more than 2?

Prime 1 and 2 only use the IR pointer, it works flawlessly. 3 has some gimmicky motion controls but it's pretty minimal.

cptodin

I'm so going to buy this. Unfortunately I won't be able to until after the discount takes effect.
But eh... 20€ are more than worth it considering the prices for a retail copy.

LoveCake

I am not sure why the Gamecube games are WiiMote only, maybe if enough people start Nintendo will patch it so the Gamecube controller can be used?

I am not sure why the Gamecube games are WiiMote only, maybe if enough people start Nintendo will patch it so the Gamecube controller can be used?

ok again. The MP Trilogy was released on Wii and not gamecube. The 2 gamecube primes in the trilogy were modified/tweaked for wiimote controls.
The controls are way way better than on cube. It feels literally like another game

Not sure this is the best place to ask, but how can I configure the screen size when in Wii mode?

There is around an inch and a half of the screen on all sides not being used when I boot the game (and no, it is not the different resolution of Corruption).

all wii games show up like that because them being 480p

ACE 1991

Never played any of the prime games, despite the metroid GBA games being amongst my favorite of all time. Rose-tinted glasses aside, is the first game the one to start with?

Verger

Banned
They controls were re-worked and revised for the Wii release of the Trilogy (which is the only version of the Trilogy).

Besides, they work incredibly well and are some of the best uses of the Wii Controls.

Anyway, I've added your guys' comments about the controls to the OP to give a better idea of them to others.

Calcium

Banned
Played the introduction sequence and I'm digging it so far. The motion controls are going to take some getting used to, but they aren't as tedious as I thought they might be. Switching to scan mode is a little annoying, I would prefer it if was just set to a button rather than looking up and then pushing a button. My only complaint with the game so far is the lack of dialogue, but it is a Nintendo game so I guess that is to be expected to some degree.

Is Super Metroid on discount right now if you buy the trilogy? I just bought it and I saw that it was $1.50

Super Metroid is $1.50 because you owned it on the Wii's virtual console.

I should have read the OP before purchasing, motion controls really kill this for me.

The motion controls used for the gamecube games are only used for aiming, which is better than the old analog method in my opinion.

Anyone having problems getting the game to run off an external HDD? The game boots up normally, but it doesn't load up when I click on Metroid Prime 1. It stays on the loading screen and then it kicks me back out to the Wii U menu.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Never played any of the prime games, despite the metroid GBA games being amongst my favorite of all time. Rose-tinted glasses aside, is the first game the one to start with?

Yeah, start with 1. It doesn't feel dated compared to the other two games, just different. 2 is much harder and 3 mixes things up a bit with changes to the structure and overall gameplay.

Ahnez

Almost impossible to happen.

Not even the Wii U OS supports the adapter.

Also, pointer controls are much faster and easier to use

Toxi

Banned
Definitely start with the first. The second is not beginner friendly.

Verger

Banned
Played the introduction sequence and I'm digging it so far. The motion controls are going to take some getting used to, but they aren't as tedious as I thought they might be. Switching to scan mode is a little annoying, I would prefer it if was just set to a button rather than looking up and then pushing a button. My only complaint with the game so far is the lack of dialogue, but it is a Nintendo game so I guess that is to be expected to some degree.
Well, there is dialogue in Corruption. But most people thought Metroid games are better off without spoken dialogue. And Other M pretty much helped in that regard too.

ok again. The MP Trilogy was released on Wii and not gamecube. The 2 gamecube primes in the trilogy were modified/tweaked for wiimote controls.
The controls are way way better than on cube. It feels literally like another game

all wii games show up like that because them being 480p

The Prime games are missing a bit more on the sides than your typical Wii game. I remember hoping they were going fix that for Corruption in the Trilogy but no luck.

Why should this be expected? Plenty of Nintendo games have voice acting.

If spoken dialogue is what you REALLY want, check out Metroid: Other M. My guess is that you'll long for the Prime series very quickly.

Also, Prime 3 has some voice acting.

Robin64

Did they alter the bonuses to not require Friend Tokens at all?

I'm playing the disc version, so I used that save that has 15 from the get-go, but I can't imagine most players will do this.

Have you actually tried playing it yet? It's hardly what I would call 'motion' controls. Just rest your arm and use your wrist. It's super easy.
Yeah, this. I'm seeing so many complaints from people hating the controls without even using them first.

They're a hell of a lot better than standard dual analog stick FPS controls, or the GameCube version's original controls.

ban25

It's worth noting that they're pointer controls, which are pretty fantastic for aiming and shooting. It's not piles of senseless waggle.

I think so. I got points for picking up Super Mario Galaxy 2, so I'd imagine it applies to MPT as well.

I played Corruption and Other M on the Wii and couldn't get past the controls...it pretty much ruined these games for me (though Other M has other problems too).

Madao

Did they alter the bonuses to not require Friend Tokens at all?

I'm playing the disc version, so I used that save that has 15 from the get-go, but I can't imagine most players will do this.

no. it is unaltered. even the eshop description points out that the mp3 friend tokens are no longer obtainable.

Toxi

Banned
Prime 3 has lots of voice-acted dialogue; that one might be more up your alley.

I personally prefer the lack of dialogue, since it makes me feel more like a lonely explorer on an untamed planet.

Robin64

no. it is unaltered. even the eshop description points out that the mp3 friend tokens are no longer obtainable.

Ahh okay, thanks. That's a shame. Some of the stuff is a bit rubbish but there's some great stuff there, like the screenshot tool.

ban25

That would be great, though in this case it appears this is a release of MP: Trilogy for Wii rather than the GC originals.

Crayolan

lol

Prime 1 has no dialogue.

I bought the Trilogy on the Wii and loved all three games. But here's a piece of advice for newcomers: I love Echoes (it might be my favorite), but I recommend playing it on Normal first, not Veteran.

I know Normal difficulty for Echoes is actually a new, easier mode than the Normal setting for Echoes on the GC, but... well, it isn't only "easier"; it's better. The thing is, you have to shoot a lot in order to kill your enemies in Echoes, and since the game is pretty long, it gets really, really boring. I was about 70% complete and couldn't stand the game anymore; then I quit and restarted the game on easy. The game is so much better this way, trust me.

For the other two games, I recommend playing on Veteran.

Top Bottom