• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Verger

Banned
I have MP1 and MP2 for GC and MP3 on disc for Wii. What are differences between the original verisons and the digital version of the Trilogy other than adding pointer controls to MP1 and MP2? Are there any other changes?
Well the digital version will definitely have faster load times (already confirmed with Prime 3)

There were some added VFX in areas like lighting, though some VFX in Prime 1 were removed due to the aspect resolution change and they couldn't be refactored into it (not because of inferior tech).

Here are some more comprehensive lists:
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Metroid_Prime_version_differences
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Metroid_Prime_3:_Corruption_version_differences

Zarovitch

I think my post asking this got lost at the end of a page---

is there a way to start out in the hardest difficulty, or do I absolutely need to play through each game once?

I sure you can play on the hardest difficulty.

I think i'll play it at harder setting, i just hope it's playable.

What's are the change for the harder mode? You take more damage or creature have more health?

J@hranimo

Banned
I don't think that preference is that uncommon. I certainly agree with it (all three are great games though).

Nuh uh, I've seen lots of people say the same. I'm right there with you as well.

Oh, my bad then. I guess I haven't been reading enough Metroid threads in the past. I thought MP1 was the favorite.

Also the loading times for Corruption being faster is so good. I hope the other versions have updated load times too.

Eyothrie

Is there a way to get rid of the black bars on both the top/bottom and the sides of the screen? The wii u versions of Galaxy 2 and Punchout didn't have these black bars, at least not on the top and bottom

IMO Metroid Prime 2 Echoes is incredibly overrated. It's overly complicated, I hated the light and dark canons using ammo, hated the dark and light mechanic and dreaded going to the dark world every time because it was so boring and ugly to see and hear it. It's in no way a bad game but God, I felt frustrated way too much by it.

I'd say to newcomers to Trilogy to play MP1 and 3 while skipping 2.

Metroid Prime 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, and hands down my favorite Metroid game overall and have replayed it numerous times as well as 3 but Echoes not once have I felt the need to replay it ever.

Zatoth

You have to fill out a survey to get the stars normally.

Does the game show up at all when you access Club Nintendo and go to "my games and systems"?

No, it does not. Neither does Donkey Kong which I bought last week.

I did however get stars for Nintendoland, which I got for free by buying Mario Kart when they had the promotion.

Matchew

Played an hour of Prime and this game holds up insanely well and the sense of discovery is still there. Really amazing games and I hope Retro makes another Prime some day as it would be amazing to see their Prime art direction in HD.

Madao

IMO Metroid Prime 2 Echoes is incredibly overrated. It's overly complicated, I hated the light and dark canons using ammo, hated the dark and light mechanic and dreaded going to the dark world every time because it was so boring and ugly to see and hear it. It's in no way a bad game but God, I felt frustrated way too much by it.

I'd say to newcomers to Trilogy to play MP1 and 3 while skipping 2.

Metroid Prime 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, and hands down my favorite Metroid game overall and have replayed it numerous times as well as 3 but Echoes not once have I felt the need to replay it ever.

that's very unfair on mp2. it gets better with replays since most of the things that are a problem the first time no longer are such a problem.

mp3 on the other hand gets worse after replays.

Anyone able to find out if the WiFi only stuff was added into the game itself by default? I mean Capcom added the multiplayer-only chips into Mega- Man Battle Network 2's VC release.

Crayolan

Is there a way to get rid of the black bars on both the top/bottom and the sides of the screen? The wii u versions of Galaxy 2 and Punchout didn't have these black bars, at least not on the top and bottom

You mean during cutscenes? That's part of the game.

If you're getting black bars outside of cutscenes then I don't know.

i just tried it. there's almost no difference. i could make a vid of that if you want.
Thank you, but I don't need one, I'll take your word for that - it's what I would expect after all.

Well now they'll have to speedrun on the Wii U. It is, after all, a totally official release.
I think they select their favorite versions all the time, so can't see why this wouldn't apply here.

(They don't want fast loading, as they want to jump through unloaded walls if I understand correctly...)

Gambit

Personally, I'd not recommend skipping Echoes at all. It's a hardcore version of Prime and "Retro unleashed". Unshackled by any Metroid tropes/conventions when it comes to setting (lava, swamp...) it is completely its own thing. Yes, it's overly complicated and maze-like, but it does succeed in making you feel immersed in a hostile alien environment.

Anyway, played more of Corruption today and am now further than I had been previously. Am on Brryo and can now choose the next place to fly. I am enjoying it a lot, but have still been trying to find the perfect control setting for me.

At the moment, and I know this might sound like sacrilile, I am playing with advanced sensitiy AND lock-on (instead of free aim). This way it feels less FPS and more Prime-y.

Eyothrie

You mean during cutscenes? That's part of the game.

If you're getting black bars outside of cutscenes then I don't know.

No, the entire game is boxed in on my tv

Edit: I fixed it. My Samsung TV was set to "screen fit", so I switched it to 16:9. Switching to 16:9 caused the Wii U menu to overscan, so I went into the settings to dial back the screen size slider to make it fit. Doing all of this fixed the Wii Mode menu

that's very unfair on mp2. it gets better with replays since most of the things that are a problem the first time no longer are such a problem.

mp3 on the other hand gets worse after replays.
You shouldnt need to replay a game to eliminate frustrations. And even then nothing would make me stop dreading to go to the dark world in that game. Everything looked the same... that color purple/black looks hideous, and the music sucked ass. Such a stark contrast with the beautiful vistas, music and spectacular art direction that Retro Studios is capable of!

Having to spend half the game in the dark world in MP2 is a disservice to Retro and what singlehandedly makes me not want to ever replay it. The obligatory fetch quest near the end, the overly complicated dark/light mechanics, and the dark/light canons using ammo certainly doesn't help.

MP3 is way better. Not to mention the spectacular masterpiece that's MP1.

If give my left nut for an HD Remaster of MP1 with an option for dual analog control option. But after this digital release I don't think that'll happen, sadly.

Madao

You shouldnt need to replay a game to eliminate frustrations. And even then nothing would make me stop dreading to go to the dark world in that game. Everything looked the same... that color purple/black looks hideous, and the music sucked ass. Such a stark contrast with the beautiful vistas, music and spectacular art direction that Retro Studios is capable of!

Having to spend half the game in the dark world in MP2 is a disservice to Retro and what singlehandedly makes me not want to ever replay it. The obligatory fetch quest near the end, the overly complicated dark/light mechanics, and the dark/light canons using ammo certainly doesn't help.

MP3 is way better. Not to mention the spectacular masterpiece that's MP1.

If give my left nut for an HD Remaster of MP1 with an option for dual analog control option. But after this digital release I don't think that'll happen, sadly.

i liked the game even on my first play. it was my first prime also. i felt the whole thing was well made and made things interesting. i also didn't mind the ammo since it is easy to come by once you know how to get it (the game even tells you some of this)
mp1 also has this fetch quest at the end and feels small coming from 2.

i guess this shows the polarizing nature of it. people either love it or hate it. it's rare to see an in-between.

Personally, I'd not recommend skipping Echoes at all. It's a hardcore version of Prime and "Retro unleashed". Unshackled by any Metroid tropes/conventions when it comes to setting (lava, swamp...) it is completely its own thing. Yes, it's overly complicated and maze-like, but it does succeed in making you feel immersed in a hostile alien environment.

Personally, I don't think I ever found Echoes too maze-like to the point of frustration. I think it does a good job of having you go around the areas enough that you learn the environments well enough to go in the general area you want to go.

What I didn't like about Echoes when I first played it was that you took damage in the dark world; taking constant damage in games over time used to be a HUGE turnoff for me, it's like playing a game made mostly of underwater Sonic, it just stressed me out too much. But after a few years I got over that issue with games and totally enjoyed it all the way through.

The only thing I STILL don't like about Echoes is what I also didn't like much in Metroid Prime 1, which is the
fetch quest
near the end. But the
fetch quest
in Echoes was even harder because
the things you were looking for were invisible enemies or something like that
. I usually just use a guide for those parts.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The download has taken almost an hour, lol. Only twenty minutes to go...

Toa TAK

Banned
Just purchased it again. Already own the steelbook, but at this point anything to show the series support is fine by me. Plus, $10 is a steal.

Hell, it's a giveaway for these amazing games.

Ashler

Is anyone else getting a lot of interrupted connections and having their download stopping? I'm getting an error 108-0075 error every 10 minutes and i'm on ethernet.

Iolo

Echoes on hypermode with hints off would be some sort of crazy ironman mode that I'm not man enough for.

I've always turned the hints off, it's more fun that way. That was one complaint I had about Prime 3, even with hints off, the AU still tells you where to go.

Gambit

Personally, I don't think I ever found Echoes too maze-like to the point of frustration. I think it does a good job of having you go around the areas enough that you learn the environments well enough to go in the general area you want to go.

What I didn't like about Echoes when I first played it was that you took damage in the dark world; taking constant damage in games over time used to be a HUGE turnoff for me, it's like playing a game made mostly of underwater Sonic, it just stressed me out too much. But after a few years I got over that issue with games and totally enjoyed it all the way through.

The only thing I STILL don't like about Echoes is what I also didn't like much in Metroid Prime 1, which is the
fetch quest
near the end. But the
fetch quest
in Echoes was even harder because
the things you were looking for were invisible enemies or something like that
. I usually just use a guide for those parts.

I totally agree. It was unnecessary in both games.

To be honest, I loved Echoes. I understand the criticism it gets, but personally it didn't bother me at all. Not even the dark world. However, back then I was able to complete it over a very short amount of time. I understand that if you have to take breaks (for weeks or months) you will be totally lost. But that is not a fault of the game, I think.

Sterok

Got this. Already have this physical, but this is too cheap to pass up. Anything to support the development of a new Metroid. Won't be able to play for awhile, but that's fine. Since I've played 1 and 3, I'll probably start with 2 when I get around to it.

i liked the game even on my first play. it was my first prime also. i felt the whole thing was well made and made things interesting. i also didn't mind the ammo since it is easy to come by once you know how to get it (the game even tells you some of this)
mp1 also has this fetch quest at the end and feels small coming from 2.

i guess this shows the polarizing nature of it. people either love it or hate it. it's rare to see an in-between.
Can we agree that the dark world in MP2 is aesthetically boring? The worst (less good) thing about the game?

I'm not talking level design. It's just that it's such a contrast to what you leave behind in the light world. Metroid games ooze personality, great vistas, music, and in the Prime games' case also spectacular art direction everywhere, including MP2! But all that gets thrown out the window for a boring, uninteresting, and horrible music ridden dark world. And that's a tragedy.

Soul Lab

holy fuck! I just downloaded the trilogy.
Back in the day I stopped playing Metroid Prime: Echoes because I didnt like that much. So I skipped Corruption. I absolutely loved the original Metroid Prime though

Now I just played the first 10min of Corruption... the wiimote controls are kinda mindblowing. lol
I'm really feeling it

Bought. Played the first one back in the day on GCN but never any of the others. $10 is a little hard to pass up. Should be downloading back at home right now.

Madao

Can we agree that the dark world in MP2 is aesthetically boring? The worst (less good) thing about the game?

I'm not talking level design. It's just that it's such a contrast to what you leave behind in the light world. Metroid games ooze personality, great vistas, music, and in the Prime games' case also spectacular art direction everywhere, including MP2! But all that gets thrown out the window for a boring, uninteresting, and horrible music ridden dark world. And that's a tragedy.

well, it's too bad because i actually liked the dark world and the contrast with the light world. i also liked some of the bleak tunes it had (well, not in Agon but the Torvus and Ing Hive ones)

the light world is better overall but i don't mind going to the dark side to wreck some monsters.

Verger

Banned
holy fuck! I just downloaded the trilogy.
Back in the day I stopped playing Metroid Prime: Echoes because I didnt like that much. So I skipped Corruption. I absolutely loved the original Metroid Prime though

Now I just played the first 10min of Corruption... the wiimote controls are kinda mindblowing. lol
I'm really feeling it
You should probably replay the originals and echoes to see the changes and if the motion controls make it better. :)

flowsnake

Anyone downloaded it in Europe already and can please check, if Club Nintendo gives out 250 stars for it?

It didn't even appear on my list of games on Club Nintendo, and I've never registered the game before. (I was expecting it to be there but only give 50 stars, like SMT4 did)

Top Bottom