• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Can you actually buy e-shop codes from Nintendo in europe? I want to buy the bloody thing but my Wii U doesn't have enough space and I don't (yet) own a harddrive for my WiiU. And Nintendo won't let me BUY the thing unless I have enough space. Which probably won't happen in the next 7 days.
Jesus Nintendo, I am TRYING to give you money but you don't want it.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Can anyone answer this if they've been able to test this out? My purchase would depend on if this works (as odd as it will sound)

So I have the retail copy of the trilogy. If I get the eshop version while it's on sale, and play, then later pop in my disc copy, can I continue my digital save file on my disc copy too? Like, they share the same save file in the Wii menu right alongside other normal Wii saves?

Can anyone answer this if they've been able to test this out? My purchase would depend on if this works (as odd as it will sound)

So I have the retail copy of the trilogy. If I get the eshop version while it's on sale, and play, then later pop in my disc copy, can I continue my digital save file on my disc copy too? Like, they share the same save file in the Wii menu right alongside other normal Wii saves?

Yes. I bought the digital version and it had my original save.

I downloaded The Metroid prime trilogy on the Dolphin emulator on my PC today and also downloaded the Wii U version as a reference to compare.

The Wii U iteration is absolute crap in comparison to the Emulator. If you have a PC with a decent GPU; skip the Wii U version completely.

Where'd you download it from?

tariniel

Does Wii motion + help in any way? I'm pretty sure I have an old ass Wiimote+Nunchuck in a box somewhere I could dig out, but definitely don't have motion+.

Phamit

Can you actually buy e-shop codes from Nintendo in europe? I want to buy the bloody thing but my Wii U doesn't have enough space and I don't (yet) own a harddrive for my WiiU. And Nintendo won't let me BUY the thing unless I have enough space. Which probably won't happen in the next 7 days.
Jesus Nintendo, I am TRYING to give you money but you don't want it.

no, atleast as far as I know, you can't buy e-shop codes from Nintendo in Europe.

Do you have a usb stick with 16 gb? Maybe one with 8 gigs is also enough. Make a backup on the pc and use it to buy Metroid

Aeana

I downloaded The Metroid prime trilogy on the Dolphin emulator on my PC today and also downloaded the Wii U version as a reference to compare.

The Wii U iteration is absolute crap in comparison to the Emulator. If you have a PC with a decent GPU; skip the Wii U version completely.
You're telling me you pirated the game first? Really.

Also, as far as I've been able to find, the Prime games all have issues in Dolphin.

I have this on Wii, but I'd like to grab this for my eventual Wii U. I have a NNID from my 3DS - can I still safely buy this without owning a Wii U?

terrisus

You have every right to not like the Prime games or FP games but you're factually incorrect to say these killed Metroid on consoles. It's not a matter of opinion. They were 3 games, all million sellers and after MP3 we still got another Metroid game as well!

Now if you would've said Other M killed the Metroid series instead then that I would've agreed on! It's been 5 years since that travesty and until Nintendo does announce a new Metroid I'm a acussing Other M of murdering the series.

Killed it *for me*

I loved Metroid and Super Metroid.
Since then... =(

Toxi

Banned
100% scans ain't that important. It just unlocks some extra credits to buy concept art and stuff. 100% items is all that's needed to see the secret endings.
Dim items in MP1 (green in the sequels) mean that you've already scanned it. Orange in MP1 (blue in the sequels) mean it's new. Red in all three are important.

Do not scan each door, that's not important. The only scans that matter are the ones that say "recorded to logbook" after you've scanned them, like I said before.

For example, the only two "missable" scans on Frigate Orpheon, (the tutorial of MP1), are one pirate log in the room with the giant skeleton and the boss, which you should obviously be scanning anyway.
Three actually: The baby parasites also are missable.
I hate virtually all first-person games
I hate these games
These games killed the Metroid series on consoles

But, I'm going to buy this, and I'm going to give it my best effort.
Hope you manage to still enjoy it despite your dislike of first-person.

Shawsie64

Banned
You're telling me you pirated the game first? Really.

Also, as far as I've been able to find, the Prime games all have issues in Dolphin.

Yep they are pretty much unplayable for the most part.

Can't wait to grab this when get home, give me something to do over the weekend :)

K' Dash

Killed it *for me*

Since then... =(

Terrisus, they're fantastic games, it sucks that you have this terrible motion sickness, but that doesn't make them less awesome.

Retro made this with so much love, care and detail, every aspect of them screams Metroid and this comes from the profound respect they have for the Source material.

It is a shame that Sakamoto just tried to play with our nostalgia with that Oher M aberration.

Prototype

I hate virtually all first-person games
I hate these games
These games killed the Metroid series on consoles

But, I'm going to buy this, and I'm going to give it my best effort.
The Metroid Prime games are so different from your normal fps experience, it's not really a fair comparison.

The focus is on exploration and discovery. The combat is secondary. Bosses are more like puzzles than anything else, with your life bar acting as a timer to figure out the solution.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Yes. I bought the digital version and it had my original save.

Thank you.

But I meant, if I downloaded and played the eshop version, then later in popped in the disc and booted the disc version, would the disc copy load the same save file from the eshop version of the game?

Killed it *for me*

Since then... =(

For me
Metroid Prime Trilogy >>>> Super Metroid

I also prefer Other M to Super Metroid. SM ain't that great imo

Drac84

Couldn't resist the bargain, nor apparently the opportunity to add another storey to my ever expanding pile of shame.

rekameohs

Banned
There have been several questions about how the credit system works, so it would probably be good to have something about it in the OP. Here's the gist of it:

"Credits" are a type of currency introduced in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Think of them like Xbox Achievements, but they can be used to buy cool things from the extras menu, like a screenshot tool (used with up on the dpad), or a bobblehead of your Mii in the ship among other things.

The system was brought into Metroid Prime Trilogy, where you can do things like use the Fusion Suit in Prime and see concept art of all the games. Since Prime 3 was built with this mechanic in mind, it has a ton of credits to go out and get. The other games had this feature ported in, so they do not have nearly as much. Here's what they are:

Metroid Prime
Orange Credit: You get these from beating all of the bosses in the game. Since you will face all of the bosses as you play through, you will automatically get all of these once you beat the game.
Silver Credit: You get these by accomplishing some objectives, such as beating the tutorial and getting all of the Artifacts (required to beat the game). However, two of these are only acquired when you fill up 50% and 100% of the logbook, so you need to get all of the scans to get all of the silver credits. There's also one for getting 100% of the collectable items, so you'll need that, too.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Purple Credit: You get these from beating all of the bosses in the game. Since you will face all of the bosses as you play through, you will automatically get all of these once you beat the game.
Silver Credit: You get these by collecting all of the 18 Keys in the game (all required to beat the game). Note that you do NOT need to scan everything in Prime 2; that's just a personal achievement if you want to do it. Also note that Silver Credits can be acquired in both Prime 1 and 2, so if you're short one credit, you can get it from the other game.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Gold Credit: You get these from beating all of the bosses in the game. Unlike the other two games, there ARE optional bosses in Prime 3. You will have to beat them all, in Normal or Veteran AND in Hypermode difficulty to get all of the credits. Yes, that means you have to play the game twice to get them all. There are also very tough enemies that appear on each planet once you've beaten its boss, and you'll have to kill each "Red Phaazoid" to get additional Gold Credits.
Red Credit: You get these by scanning every single creature in the game, organic and mechanical. There's actually a glitch in the game where you can get one additional red credit, so make sure to ask if you want to know how to get it, don't want to fill up this post too much! ;)
Blue Credit: You get these by scanning all of the lore in the game. There's also an additional three to get where you have to save three troopers from being killed in the tutorial sequence.
Green Credit: These can only be gotten by having a friend send you Friend Vouchers. As people have said, you can't do this anymore since WFC is permanently down, so download a save file with 15 friend credits BEFORE playing.
Friend Voucher: Even though these are effectively useless since you can't trade them, you can still get these. Most are little Easter eggs in the game, others are simpler like killing a number of enemies.

Scans
So, to conclude: for MP1, you will need to completely fill the logbook to get all of the credits: that's all creatures, all lore, and all research. For MP2, none of the scans are actually required to get the credits, it's just a fun distraction! And for MP3, you need to get all of the creatures and lore scans. Research is not necessary.

For collectables, only MP1 requires all items for a Silver Credit. But hey, it's nice to see three "100%"'s on the title screen, right...!?
Hope that helps!!!

2SeeKU

I've never tried a 3D metroid title, even though l owned a NGC and Wii. I'm keen to try this for the first time when l get home from work tonight!

Lunar15

It's so sad to see people who can't appreciate Echoes. :( It's my favorite.

Echoes, in my opinion, has the best music, atmosphere, and art design. Torvus Bog and Sanctuary Fortress are incredible. That said, I still find the dark world mechanic to be a little weak since it sometimes feels like you're going back through the same areas a bit too much.

Still, it's a stellar game and it gets a lot of undeserved hate.

Experien

I never cared for MP2 nor did I find it difficult. Everyone says it was the hardest but not sure how. I do remember not knowing how to kill the turtle monster boss like thing...after that, smooth sailing.

Yep they are pretty much unplayable for the most part.
This is not true, they're very playable with the right builds. The master builds have stuttering issues due to shader cache generation, but the Ishiiruuka custom build doesn't have this problem thanks to the addition of the Full Async Shader setting. It's not 100% perfect, but I'd rather deal with the minor momentary hiccups than play the game at 480p at all times.

The eShop version is a fine hassle free choice for those without strong PCs though.

Thank you.

But I meant, if I downloaded and played the eshop version, then later in popped in the disc and booted the disc version, would the disc copy load the same save file from the eshop version of the game?

Sorry! Yes, I am pretty sure it'll still use the same save. I would go try it right now but I'm out. Maybe someone else will be nice enough to give it a test. But yeah, I am pretty sure it'll work.

Fbh

Getting this today.
Never played any of them so I'm really looking forward to see why the Prime Trilogy gets so much love

Yeah guys!!! Rather than showing support for the franchise (and legally owning the games) by buying these 3 games for a really low price you should pirate it and play it on an emulator!!!

But remember, later on when Nintendo doesn't announce a new Metroid be sure to bitch and moan

Verger

Banned
Some advice for newcomers.

This is NOT a "balls-to-the-wall" uber Action-packed game. If you go in expecting one of those cinematic AAA opening sequences you see in huge games nowadays you will be disappointed (I love the intro's personally).

These are games where you are meant to take your time and become immersed in the world. Look around. Scan random stuff (even the flowers and stuff) and enjoy just how much detail are in these games.

Sure, you'll definitely get action, but the point is not to go around blasting everything and anything and rush through the game. Look at your map, look at the codex's and just enjoy the sights and sounds.

HF2014

Bouuuuught!!!f
Seriously, sold my metroid prime trilogy a few month ago for 75$, now at 10 buck its just a bargain!

GulAtiCa

Echoes is my favorite. I already own the stealbook physical edition, but at $10 and faster load times, think I will buy it when I get home. :)

Tadpole

"Completely... As long as you have the disc to rip."

Fixed that for you. Wouldn't want it to look like you were advocating for pirating the game.

Bizzquik

Still holding my breath for a MP1 HD Remaster.

Right there with ya.
I was thinking the WiiU gamepad would be amazing for scanning.

Once the dust settled and we all realized that this was still just a Wii port - and that the game required a Wiimote & nunchucks - I was honestly a little sad that this was being released at all.

I'm worried that this means Nintendo won't pursue a proper WiiU remaster for one of the greatest games ever made: Metroid Prime. I would really like to see it get the Wind Waker treatment.

Vaiim

Came to salute the thread title! (Pure quality OT also).

I sold my boxed copy for £54, to buy the digital for £9, I'm such a sell out :(

cacildo

Funny how ive played all three games
finished all three games
but i dont remember anything at all about em

now its my second chance. Lets see what happen

Right there with ya.
I was thinking the WiiU gamepad would be amazing for scanning.

Once the dust settled and we all realized that this was still just a Wii port - and that the game required a Wiimote & nunchucks - I was honestly a little sad that this was being released at all.

I'm worried that this means Nintendo won't pursue a proper WiiU remaster for one of the greatest games ever made: Metroid Prime. I would really like to see it get the Wind Waker treatment.

once the dust settled??
it was perfectly clear since the announcment that this was "just" the wii version.
I'm really amazed how people are still surprised by that fact

terrisus

Terrisus, they're fantastic games, it sucks that you have this terrible motion sickness, but that doesn't make them less awesome.

Retro made this with so much love, care and detail, every aspect of them screams Metroid and this comes from the profound respect they have for the Source material.

It is a shame that Sakamoto just tried to play with our nostalgia with that Oher M aberration.

It's possible for someone/someones to make something with love, care, and detail, and for the end result to still not be enjoyable to someone else.

I'm not telling other people they have to not like this or something.
Just my own experiences and feelings.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
no, atleast as far as I know, you can't buy e-shop codes from Nintendo in Europe.

Do you have a usb stick with 16 gb? Maybe one with 8 gigs is also enough. Make a backup on the pc and use it to buy Metroid

Oh, I didn't know you can use a USB stick. I'm pretty sure I have a 16 GB one lying around somewhere. Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom