• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

CS_Dan

Re-watching the old Gamespot reviews, done by Greg Kasavin and Brad Shoemaker. Amusing what a decade does to both video review formats and people!

I downloaded The Metroid prime trilogy on the Dolphin emulator on my PC today and also downloaded the Wii U version as a reference to compare.

The Wii U iteration is absolute crap in comparison to the Emulator. If you have a PC with a decent GPU; skip the Wii U version completely.

Kadin

How important is it to scan everything? I've played the first game all the way through back when it first came out but never beat the other two. I was never a fan of doing it back then but since I'm starting out fresh now, maybe I'll give it a go. To get 100%, you have to scan things like doors on both sides, right? Any other quirks to scanning that might be good to know?

jblank83

How important is it to scan everything? I've played the first game all the way through back when it first came out but never beat the other two. I was never a fan of doing it back then but since I'm starting out fresh now, maybe I'll give it a go. To get 100%, you have to scan things like doors on both sides, right? Any other quirks to scanning that might be good to know?

You get some minor rewards for doing so. The real value is being immersed in the story. You can ignore most scanning if you want.

Also, scanning both sides of doors? Crazy. You just need to scan each object and each enemy once, with a couple of exceptions (like, you may need to scan both forms of a boss, for example), IIRC. Although there are different types of doors to scan.

Madao

scans have their own percentage and not everything counts towards them. most things do count so it is a good idea to scan everything you can just to be sure.
items have their own % and there's 100 of them.

there's a couple of missable scans so you need to pay attention. some enemies disappear after some time and never come back. this happens in all 3 games.

rekameohs

Banned
To get 100%, you have to scan things like doors on both sides, right?
No, of course not.

The only scans needed to get 100% are things listed in the logbook: creatures, lore, research. MP3 requires scanning the different doors for research, but that just means one blue door on Bryyo, one blue door on Elysia, etc.

Zodzilla

I downloaded The Metroid prime trilogy on the Dolphin emulator on my PC today and also downloaded the Wii U version as a reference to compare.

The Wii U iteration is absolute crap in comparison to the Emulator. If you have a PC with a decent GPU; skip the Wii U version completely.

Where'd you download the emulated copy from?

You do realize one wouldn't exist without the other.

K' Dash

VERY, you get a lot of info from enemies, bosses and the world around you, of course the story is also delivered by Scans and you don't want to miss it, it is amazing.

Plus you get a special ending if you scan everything :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Can we agree that the dark world in MP2 is aesthetically boring? The worst (less good) thing about the game?

I'm not talking level design. It's just that it's such a contrast to what you leave behind in the light world. Metroid games ooze personality, great vistas, music, and in the Prime games' case also spectacular art direction everywhere, including MP2! But all that gets thrown out the window for a boring, uninteresting, and horrible music ridden dark world. And that's a tragedy.

As much as I think the dark world is drab and boring, I also think it is supposed to uninviting and offputting. That contrast is completely intentional and works in the game's favor. If the dark world was a pretty, pleasant romp through the park it wouldn't be much of a dark world. At the very least though, they could have differentiated the different areas of the dark world more. They all look the same.

Not sure I'd want to see it come back, but I do hope that if/when we get a new FPA Metroid it's as well interwoven and maze-like as Prime 2. I'm not sure that's possible without the dark world mechanic though, unfortunately, otherwise you just end up with something that is akin to Prime 1 (which is fantastic in it's own right, of course).

terrisus

I hate virtually all first-person games
I hate these games
These games killed the Metroid series on consoles

But, I'm going to buy this, and I'm going to give it my best effort.

I've played the first one some.
I couldn't stand it - it physically makes me sick (not an exaggeration/hyperbole, most first-person games do)

Since the 2nd and 3rd are first-person games as well, I would expect them to have a similar effect.

I had the same reaction to the first game, there was something weird about it and I forget what it was, but Retro was aware and fixed it for the sequels. I think the trilogy version resolves it for the first game as well.

They make me sick too but I did OK with the Prime games. Mouse and KB PC FP games tend to be much more difficult for me to handle. I think it has to do with how sensitive the 'look' controls are.

Try turning off HUD Lag in the menu.

You guys said it was going to be better >.>

I adjusted all the options and settings and anything else I could think of.
I took my time to read over everything to make sure I fully understood what I was doing.
I tried. I really, really tried.

It was a struggle to even make it to the first save point.
I have a splitting headache.
I feel sick.
I'm disoriented.
Even now that I just finished playing and am trying to type this out, I just feel "off."
After writing this, I'm just going to sit here for a few with my eyes closed and see if that helps.

I can't do it.
I just can't do it.
Me and practically all first-person video games just do not get along.
And Metroid Prime is no different.
I'm sorry.

Maybe I'll play some Super Metroid later.

Kadin

You get some minor rewards for doing so. The real value is being immersed in the story. You can ignore most scanning if you want.

Also, scanning both sides of doors? Crazy. You just need to scan each object and each enemy once, with a couple of exceptions (like, you may need to scan both forms of a boss, for example), IIRC. Although there are different types of doors to scan.
Yeah it seems crazy to me as well but if the object shows bright instead of dim, I assume I should scan it. And yeah each door seems to be a solid (scan) color on each side.

No, of course not.

The only scans needed to get 100% are things listed in the logbook: creatures, lore, research. MP3 requires scanning the different doors for research, but that just means one blue door on Bryyo, one blue door on Elysia, etc.
Ah okay... thank GOD! lol

Dreavus

Pretty lttp but I cannot get over this thread title, lol.

I'll probably end up getting this, even though I own the first two on GC and Corruption on Wii.

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah it seems crazy to me as well but if the object shows bright instead of dim, I assume I should scan it. And yeah each door seems to be a solid (scan) color on each side.
Dim items in MP1 (green in the sequels) mean that you've already scanned it. Orange in MP1 (blue in the sequels) mean it's new. Red in all three are important.

Do not scan each door, that's not important. The only scans that matter are the ones that say "recorded to logbook" after you've scanned them, like I said before.

For example, the only two "missable" scans on Frigate Orpheon, (the tutorial of MP1), are one pirate log in the room with the giant skeleton and the boss, which you should obviously be scanning anyway.

Madao

You guys said it was going to be better >.>

I adjusted all the options and settings and anything else I could think of.
I took my time to read over everything to make sure I fully understood what I was doing.
I tried. I really, really tried.

It was a struggle to even make it to the first save point.
I have a splitting headache.
I feel sick.
I'm disoriented.
Even now that I just finished playing and am trying to type this out, I just feel "off."
After writing this, I'm just going to sit here for a few with my eyes closed and see if that helps.

I can't do it.
I just can't do it.
Me and practically all first-person video games just do not get along.
And Metroid Prime is no different.
I'm sorry.

Maybe I'll play some Super Metroid later.

have you tried starting with mp2? i also suffer from motion sickness and can't play most first person games but mp2 had something that somehow didn't make me feel sick. even mp1 made me feel sick back in the day and this is why i played mp2 first. mp2 was sort of the training wheels that let me play mp1 later and then mp3 when it released (i had a bit of trouble in mp3 at first but got used to it)

are you using standard sensitivity? advanced is a big no if you suffer this. also, you kinda have to do subtle movements in the Wii version since it gets more janky than the GC version if your hand isn't steady. HUD lag off also helps a bit (i turned it on years later when i was completely used to the games)

another thing that could help is locking the camera with Z constantly so that you don't spin out easily. get a good angle, hold Z and then shoot things without the camera moving.

Kadin

Dim items in MP1 (green in the sequels) mean that you've already scanned it. Orange in MP1 (blue in the sequels) mean it's new. Red in all three are important.

Do not scan each door, that's not important. The only scans that matter are the ones that say "recorded to logbook" after you've scanned them, like I said before.

For example, the only two "missable" scans on Frigate Orpheon, (the tutorial of MP1), are one pirate log in the room with the giant skeleton and the boss, which you should obviously be scanning anyway.
Good deal. Are there any scans that you only have one chance to do and if you miss it, you'd have to reload your last save, etc.? Besides bosses of course.

edit: your edit answered my question I think, lol

I think this is largely unfair. The Wii U version isn't "absolute crap," it's just what the game really looks like. Obviously, for anyone who has a decent PC and doesn't mind fiddling around with emulation settings, it's worth your while to check out how it looks on Dolphin. But there are often tradeoffs to this. I can't speak definitively on the matter as I haven't tried it, but I've heard more than one person assert that Dolphin does have issues with Prime Trilogy. If that's not the case, then great. By all means, check out how great it looks on Dolphin.

Symtendo

Just went to download but can't get on the eshop on Wii U (EU shop), which is odd as I'm currently on the 3DS eshop. Anyone else having issues?

rekameohs

Banned
Good deal. Are there any scans that you only have one chance to do and if you miss it, you'd have to reload your last save, etc.? Besides bosses of course.
Yeah, there are several. Check out gamefaqs or something if you want all of limited time scans.

The stupidest ones that I can think of are in MP2, right after the Light Beam. You use it to shoot two webs of darkness. Those are scannable and once you shoot them, they're gone forever. Then immediately after, more webs block a door during a mini boss, but these webs are different and are ALSO scannable. They never appear after that mini boss.

Madao

some of us don't have supercomputers to run dolphin smoothly or don't have the money to upgrade.

$10 is better than the hundreds of dollars i'd need to spend upgrading my PC (which i don't even use for gaming so it's a waste)

Stoze

Personally I turned the HUD opacity way down when I played through the trilogy, just enough so I can see the health and missile count. Helmet made my field of view way too cramped otherwise.

Madao

Yeah, there are several. Check out gamefaqs or something if you want all of limited time scans.

The stupidest ones that I can think of are in MP2, right after the Light Beam. You use it to shoot two webs of darkness. Those are scannable and once you shoot them, they're gone forever. Then immediately after, more webs block a door during a mini boss, but these webs are different and are ALSO scannable. They never appear after that mini boss.

the pirate troopers in mp3 are even more stupid imo. they appear right in a battle where you are more worried about fighting and there's many types in many battles. i had to replay the game like 3 times to sniff out these guys.

RPGCrazied

Don't if this has been answered, but the token system used for extras, do they work now again, or still don't since Wii internet service was taken offline?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

That web on the door was the first thing I thought of. Appears during one boss, never again. How the average player is expected to realize "hey, I should scan that thing on the door" is beyond me.

terrisus

have you tried starting with mp2? i also suffer from motion sickness and can't play most first person games but mp2 had something that somehow didn't make me feel sick. even mp1 made me feel sick back in the day and this is why i played mp2 first. mp2 was sort of the training wheels that let me play mp1 later and then mp3 when it released (i had a bit of trouble in mp3 at first but got used to it)

are you using standard sensitivity? advanced is a big no if you suffer this. also, you kinda have to do subtle movements in the Wii version since it gets more janky than the GC version if your hand isn't steady. HUD lag off also helps a bit (i turned it on years later when i was completely used to the games)

another thing that could help is locking the camera with Z constantly so that you don't spin out easily. get a good angle, hold Z and then shoot things without the camera moving.

I haven't tried Prime 2 yet. Maybe I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Standard sensitivity.
HUD lag off.

And, yeah, part-way through I realized it made things better to hold Z as much as possible to at least minimize the camera swinging around.

I don't suppose there's any way to have the Wii remote cursor just move within the screen and stop at the edges, and only have turning with the analog stick?
Since, I don't know, that seems like it would be an improvement to things just swinging around because I accidentally let the remote move a bit.

Blah, I still don't feel good =(

terrisus

I downloaded The Metroid prime trilogy on the Dolphin emulator on my PC today

uwot.jpg

You mean you ripped the Metroid Prime Trilogy disc that you own, and put that on PC, right?

Gambit

I haven't tried Prime 2 yet. Maybe I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Standard sensitivity.
HUD lag off.

And, yeah, part-way through I realized it made things better to hold Z as much as possible to at least minimize the camera swinging around.

I don't suppose there's any way to have the Wii remote cursor just move within the screen and stop at the edges, and only have turning with the analog stick?
Since, I don't know, that seems like it would be an improvement to things just swinging around because I accidentally let the remote move a bit.

Blah, I still don't feel good =(

So sorry to hear that. No game is worth it, if it makes you sick. Not even if it only makes you feel queasy!

But if you wanted to try once more, maybe "basic sensitivity". The less movement, the better, I imagine. Also try "lock on" instead of "free aim".

tav7623

Looking forward to replaying Prime (it's been about 11 years since I last played it) as well as finally playing both Echoes & Corruption for the first time. The only things that suck (so far) is that we cant's use a Classic Pro controller or the Wii U Gamepad (or use the Wii U GC adapter and use actual GC controllers) and that there is no Miiverse integration to take advantage of the game's unlockable snapshot mode (I spotted it while browsing the Extras section) .

Side Note: I was going through Trilogy's Estras section earlier (before starting up a new game file for Prime) and noticed that you needed to have a set amount of colored Metroid symbol/logo to in order to unlock extra content. Which has me curious as to how that works and how you can earn the different colors (are they based on your in game progress? are they tied to completing parts of the game in a specific time limit or way? are the different colors tied to specific games? and are any of them "missable"? )

terrisus

So sorry to hear that. No game is worth it, if it makes you sick. Not even if it only makes you feel queasy!

But if you wanted to try once more, maybe "basic sensitivity". The less movement, the better, I imagine. Also try "lock on" instead of "free aim".

Yeah, I had Lock On as well.
I'll check the sensitivity tomorrow, to see if I can have it any lower than I did. I thought I was on the lowest, but I could be remembering wrong.

And, yeah, I mean, it is what it is I guess.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Only had it downloaded a little while and I'm already at Phendrena Drifts. It's like riding a bike, except far more enjoyable.

Please Nintendo, give me HD prime 4 (with or without phazon / metroid prime itself)

Robin64

Side Note: I was going through Trilogy's Estras section earlier (before starting up a new game file for Prime) and noticed that you needed to have a set amount of colored Metroid symbol/logo to in order to unlock extra content. Which has me curious as to how that works and how you can earn the different colors (are they based on your in game progress? are they tied to completing parts of the game in a specific time limit or way? are the different colors tied to specific games? and are any of them "missable"? )

So basically, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think...

Orange are from bosses in Prime.
Purple are from bosses in Prime 2.
Silver are from story items in Prime/Prime 2.
Red are from Prime 3 scans of enemies.
Blue are from Prime 3 scans of lore.
Gold are bosses and some missions in Prime 3.
Green are from friends over wifi.

You can't get green ones in this version, the service was shut down. :(

Just so people know, if you're in the UK or any region that doesn't have the option to buy the Trilogy from the webstore, don't have a hard drive or room on your Wii U, and want to put use a USB memory stick to buy it and store it for the time being, there's chances you'll need one larger than 8GB.

I'm not sure if the Wii U does the digital games need twice the amount of memory to download and install like the PS3 does, but when I put in an 8GB memory stick to buy and download it the stick only had just over 7GB available to use, so it was a couple of hundred MB off. It could have just been my memory stick, but yeah, the game is under 8GB, and as long as you have that you'll be able to buy it, but you'll need a stick that's over 8GB. Probably common knowledge, and to be fair I wasn't expecting it to fit, but just something to keep in mind. I'd also assume you couldn't fit it on a Basic Wii whatsoever, or at least buy it on that without buying it with an external storage device attached first.

Will this HDD work on the Wii U reliably if I connect it with a y-USB?

McNum

So, question about the difficulties.

Trilogy Prime 1 and 2 Veteran = Original Prime 1 and 2 Normal?

But what about Prime 3? It already had a Veteran difficulty. Did that change, too?

well, it's too bad because i actually liked the dark world and the contrast with the light world. i also liked some of the bleak tunes it had (well, not in Agon but the Torvus and Ing Hive ones)

the light world is better overall but i don't mind going to the dark side to wreck some monsters.
The only thing we can agree on with MP2 then is to disagree.

Robin64

Read the post after the OP. It has instructions for getting them via a save file transfer. Very easy to do.

Yeah, I've done it myself and I implore everyone else to do the same.

It's a little silly they didn't just patch in the items to not need greens to buy anymore, though.

I hate virtually all first-person games
I hate these games
These games killed the Metroid series on consoles

But, I'm going to buy this, and I'm going to give it my best effort.
You have every right to not like the Prime games or FP games but you're factually incorrect to say these killed Metroid on consoles. It's not a matter of opinion. They were 3 games, all million sellers and after MP3 we still got another Metroid game as well!

Now if you would've said Other M killed the Metroid series instead then that I would've agreed on! It's been 5 years since that travesty and until Nintendo does announce a new Metroid I'm a acussing Other M of murdering the series.

Speaking of these green credits, did anybody check the digital instruction manual to see what do they say now about them? (...such stuff used to be described in manuals, correct?)

Madao

So, question about the difficulties.

Trilogy Prime 1 and 2 Veteran = Original Prime 1 and 2 Normal?

But what about Prime 3? It already had a Veteran difficulty. Did that change, too?

mp3 is unaltered because it already had 3 difficulties when it came out originally.

McNum

mp3 is unaltered because it already had 3 difficulties when it came out.
Ah, good. I think I'll go Veteran for Prime 1 since I've beaten that a few times, Normal on Prime 2 since I've never played that and it has a nasty reputation, and... not sure for Prime 3 yet. Hypermode is kind of a gamechanger when used right, so I could likely do Veteran, too.

Top Bottom