• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Welp. I still hate the pointer controls.

I really help the next 3D Metroid has normal dual analog controls. I'm sick of the Prime games feeling like a chore in such a fundamental way.

Bizzquik

once the dust settled??
it was perfectly clear since the announcment that this was "just" the wii version.
I'm really amazed how people are still surprised by that fact

Dude, I meant that thirty minutes after the conference.

You know - that phase between when Kotaku and others told us it could use the GamePad.....and that moment when everyone understood that Nintendo was dealing in double-speak: 'you can use the WiiU Gamepad....if you could use a Wii Classic Controller originally...and, as it turns out, none of the first three North American games can use the Classic Controller....so...nevermind right now, I guess. But only $9.99 !!!'

You know - that phase between when Kotaku and others told us it could use the GamePad.....and that moment when everyone understood that Nintendo was dealing in double-speak: 'you can use the WiiU Gamepad....if you could use a Wii Classic Controller originally...and, as it turns out, none of the first three North American games can use the Classic Controller....so...nevermind right now, I guess. But only $9.99 !!!'

I'm pretty sure that information was made explicitly clear during the Direct itself.

MDave

So contemplating on weather I should get this or not.

I already have all 3 original releases (Prime 1 and 2 on Gamecube that I played on my Wii) and Prime 3.

Is it worth it? I don't mind the Gamecube controllers or the pointer controls in 3.

Is it better to rip my disks and play them on Dolphin instead?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that information was made explicitly clear during the Direct itself.

People who skipped the games on the Wii were probably confused because they didn't realize most first-party Wii games required the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. I don't think the direct had specific controller compatibility information on a per-game basis.

Those of us who were Wii owners knew that the classic controller was not usually supported outside of VC. I was suprised to find out during the discussion this month that Sin & Punishment 2 supported it (why would anyone want to do that to themselves though?).

Madao

Nintendo must be kicking themselves for not making all wii games compatible with every controller supported by the console. it's coming back to bite the hard now since the gamepad would be easily useable if these supported Classic controller back in the day.

at least for next gen they can do BC without the gamepad since a lot of games work fine without it.

People who skipped the games on the Wii were probably confused because they didn't realize most first-party Wii games required the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. I don't think the direct had specific controller compatibility information on a per-game basis.

Those of us who were Wii owners knew that the classic controller was not usually supported outside of VC. I was suprised to find out during the discussion this month that Sin & Punishment 2 supported it (why would anyone want to do that to themselves though?).

I understand some confusion about which games supported which controller on the Wii. But in terms of dreaming up GamePad support for scanning or other enhancements, these were never billed as anything other than the Wii games. There was a feature announced about the GamePad being used as a GamePad for games that supported the Classic controller. But that was it. there really wasn't any ambiguity here about what would be different about these releases.

Bizzquik

Nintendo must be kicking themselves for not making all wii games compatible with every controller supported by the console. it's coming back to bite the hard now since the gamepad would be easily useable if these supported Classic controller back in the day.

I think you are spot-on accurate.

And I'm an example of that. After 2008 or so, I never did buy Wii games that required the Wiimote&Nunchuck; I just never liked using them as the input device. So both Nintendo and I lost. They missed out on several purchases I would have made in the system's latter years if I could have used the Classic Controller, and I missed out in playing some great games.

Think I'll grab this in case, by the time I'm ready to finally replay these games, there are still issues with emulating the game so I can at least enjoy the improved loading times. Seeing everyone talk about the Trilogy is exciting but I still want to give it more time before going back.

Maybe a Prime 4 announcement could be the shot in the arm I need...

Exuro

Is there a recommended controller setting? Whats the difference between advanced and standard? I already swapped jump and shoot, but any additional tweaks to make it feel better would be good to know.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I think you are spot-on accurate.

And I'm an example of that. After 2008 or so, I never did buy Wii games that required the Wiimote&Nunchuck; I just never liked using them as the input device. So both Nintendo and I lost. They missed out on several purchases I would have made in the system's latter years if I could have used the Classic Controller, and I missed out in playing some great games.

Makes me wonder why you bought a Wii in the first place then. The Wiimote (and the Nunchuk) were from the very beginning shown to be the primary input method for the console. Were you really expecting Nintendo to drop the single thing that made their console unique?

Anyway, what's done is done. If somebody doesn't like how these games control, they are free not to buy them. We've reached page 25 and people are still complaining about these games not being HD remakes or not using the Wii U gamepad to scan everything. Because "an intern could do it in half an hour"... Come on, people.

Is there a recommended controller setting? Whats the difference between advanced and default? I already swapped jump and shoot, but any additional tweaks to make it feel better would be good to know.

Read the OP. Everything you're asking is answered there.

Is there a recommended controller setting? Whats the difference between advanced and default? I already swapped jump and shoot, but any additional tweaks to make it feel better would be good to know.

I would go advanced. I think it makes the aiming more precise. It feels great.

Anyone been playing yet? How far are you? I just got the
ice beam

MedIC86

First time im playing all three games, first impressions, ugh graphics kinda let-down i know its old, but its not even fullscreen on my t.v, and im not sure if the motion controls are my thing.

Anyway looking foreward to it.

rekameohs

Banned
Is there a recommended controller setting? Whats the difference between advanced and standard? I already swapped jump and shoot, but any additional tweaks to make it feel better would be good to know.
I suggest having shoot on "A" since there's times where you want rapid-fire. It's not like an FPS.

Advanced is a must for sensitivity. It means the wii remote doesn't need to be moved as much to turn.

dcassell

Banned
Metroid Prime came out when I was about 10, and I had to write what was, essentially, a research paper on the content in the game to have my parents let me play it since I was 10 and it was rated T for teens. Just started it up again, and all my memories of childhood came rushing back. I'm gonna enjoy this. I remember always claiming that Prime was the best game of all time as a kid, and now I guess I'm gonna see if that was founded or not.

Timeaisis

I'm still undecided on which to play first.

I've played MP1: one of my favorite games ever
Got through about half of MP2
Never played MP3

I'm leaning towards MP1 solely because it's been so long and I know I'll love it still. MP2 I'm afraid I'll put it down and never finish it again because of it's difficult puzzles.

Pointer controls wipe the floor with dual analogue when it comes to speed and accuracy. Looking forward to playing through Prime 1 again with this setup.

Griss

Regretting not having my Wii U for the next 6 months pretty bad right now. Not like I don't own the games anyway, though.

I really want to replay 2 and 3 one last time to see if my opinions on them hold up. I've beaten Prime at least 5 times, so my opinion of it as a legendary masterpiece and one of the greatest 3d games of all time won't change. But the other two I've only beaten twice, and not for a long time.

My memories:
Metroid Prime 2
-Much weaker world building with the Luminoth and Ing and their non-war; whole thing was a lame set-up;
-Some great level design and great boss battles (strength of the game right here);
-Awesome to have properly new and unique items for once in a Metroid game;
-Dark world drags the entire game down to a ludicrous extent, just like in LttP and every single other game with this terrible mechanic;
-Really challenging for the first half (this is a good thing);
-
Sanctuary Fortress
was kind of awesome but also totally out of place. The Ing lived here? Seriously? They built Tron? That's their bag? Mixed feelings about it.
-Introduced Dark Samus, an F-grade sub-comic-book tier enemy that really killed the proper 'serious sci-fantasy' feel of the series and was terrible to fight;
-The
Dark Suit and Light Suit
were almost worth the price of admission alone, and the 'super-weapons' were pretty cool;
-When it's good it's as good or better than any Prime, but its weak points are enough to make it the weakest of the three games;

Metroid Prime 3
-Much nicer visuals as expected;
-Amazing pointer controls that really improved the game;
-Combat is finally decent, there's finally weight to your beam shots;
-Corrpution mode was ingenious, removing the bullet sponge nature of the Prime games with something more risk-heavy, quick and intense;
-The opening three hours were horrible. Horrible!
-From Bryyo on it gets good, and
Skytown
was fucking magnificent, possibly the best setting in the whole series;
-The cutscenes at this point were super outdated and should have been skipped. The 'assault' scenes on the
Pirate Homeworld
were a good example.
-The
Aurora Units
were such a cool way of working the past games into the prime games, and they had awesome screen presence;
-The hunters were super lame, and the game would have been better without them
-The game lost something by not being an interconnected world for sure;
-
Phaase
was actually pretty cool, but at this stage the story was beyond saving.

Ultimate Ranking
1>3>2
with 1 way out in front. But all of them are fantastic games.

rekameohs

Banned
The (lack of) load times are so wonderful now. Easily the biggest complaint of MP3 and it really is completely improved tenfold now

Toxi

Banned
-
Sanctuary Fortress
was kind of awesome but also totally out of place. The Ing lived here? Seriously? They built Tron? That's their bag? Mixed feelings about it.
The Luminoth built it, not the Ing.

The Luminoth have a more technological bent than the Tallon IV Chozo. Their entire backstory is about using technology to terraform Aether to something more livable. Sanctuary Fortress is the pinnacle of their civilization, an automated and secure technological paradise. The Ing were unable to overcome it until they turned the machines against their masters.

OmegaFax

The "Advanced" sensitivity is probably the way to go with the Wii remote. It's the only option with decent turning speeds. Wish there was an option that allowed me to turn with the analog stick like in the GC version and only strafe when targeting.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I still remember waiting for the original Prime to come out. How much animosity there was online from gaming communities that were hostile, if not apprehensive, about the series switching from 2D to first person. That and it was being handled by a Western studio as well. Someone at Retro must have had a vision of what Metroid could be. It really shows because this game is now beloved by so many. It changed a lot, but retained all of the important aspects. It's the perfect example of how you can truly evolve a franchise. It really nailed the atmosphere, and isolation aspects, and never asserted itself as being action oriented, despite obliterating countless enemies. One of my favorite artists, Andrew Jones, handled concept art and design, and Yamamoto from Super Metroid still composed the score. It was magical when it came out. It's magical today. I have to admit that I'm envious of anyone enjoying it for the first time - though I think I'm overdue for a new playthrough.

I also still loved Corruption, even though I can understand fans' dissatisfaction with certain elements. I thought it was great in its own way.

BlackJace

Regretting not having my Wii U for the next 6 months pretty bad right now. Not like I don't own the games anyway, though.

I really want to replay 2 and 3 one last time to see if my opinions on them hold up. I've beaten Prime at least 5 times, so my opinion of it as a legendary masterpiece and one of the greatest 3d games of all time won't change. But the other two I've only beaten twice, and not for a long time.

My memories:
Metroid Prime 2
-Much weaker world building with the Luminoth and Ing and their non-war; whole thing was a lame set-up;
-Some great level design and great boss battles (strength of the game right here);
-Awesome to have properly new and unique items for once in a Metroid game;
-Dark world drags the entire game down to a ludicrous extent, just like in LttP and every single other game with this terrible mechanic;
-Really challenging for the first half (this is a good thing);
-
Sanctuary Fortress
-Introduced Dark Samus, an F-grade sub-comic-book tier enemy that really killed the proper 'serious sci-fantasy' feel of the series and was terrible to fight;
-The
Dark Suit and Light Suit
were almost worth the price of admission alone, and the 'super-weapons' were pretty cool;
-When it's good it's as good or better than any Prime, but its weak points are enough to make it the weakest of the three games;

Metroid Prime 3
-Much nicer visuals as expected;
-Amazing pointer controls that really improved the game;
-Combat is finally decent, there's finally weight to your beam shots;
-Corrpution mode was ingenious, removing the bullet sponge nature of the Prime games with something more risk-heavy, quick and intense;
-The opening three hours were horrible. Horrible!
-From Bryyo on it gets good, and
Skytown
was fucking magnificent, possibly the best setting in the whole series;
-The cutscenes at this point were super outdated and should have been skipped. The 'assault' scenes on the
Pirate Homeworld
were a good example.
-The
Aurora Units
were such a cool way of working the past games into the prime games, and they had awesome screen presence;
-The hunters were super lame, and the game would have been better without them
-The game lost something by not being an interconnected world for sure;
-
Phaase
was actually pretty cool, but at this stage the story was beyond saving.

Ultimate Ranking
1>3>2
with 1 way out in front. But all of them are fantastic games.

I disagree with your assessment of Dark Samus. I felt like it was a worthy player in the overall universe of the Prime series. (series spoiler)
Metroid Prime was not defeated by Samus at the end of the first game. Her Phazon Suit was left behind, and was able to be absorbed by Prime, thus allowing Samus to be essentially cloned.

This was a mistake that Samus made, and it's cool that we can see the ramifications of her negligence. Dark Samus literally stalks/haunts Samus for the remainder of the series. The Dark/Mirror character archetypes' origin mainly seems to come from the "Good/Original" making a mistake that causes the cloning. To me it seems like a classic throwback to the supposed "comic-book character" veil you used for Dark Samus.

For what the Prime series was going for, I feel like Dark Samus was a great villain. Powerful, mysterious, and (going by the core of Prime 3's story) cunning.

ozfunghi

It's so sad to see people who can't appreciate Echoes. :( It's my favorite.

You kiss your loved ones with that mouth?

Seriously though, Echoes is the only game of the trilogy i couldn't finish. Totally bummed out by it and i think it was mainly due to being forced to stay in the safe zones in the dark world (or regaining health, don't remember how the gameplay mechanic worked exactly). But i do know it was annoying as hell. The game didn't give me any joy.

Top Bottom