• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

This thread brings joy to my heart :). Especially reading first time reactions. Also, you guys are blowing my mind with Phaaze and it's connections to the other games, and what it infers about the series lore. I never really thought about it that deeply. It seems just when I think I can't think any more highly of the series and Retro, someone points something else amazing out. I'm so torn between wanting Retro to make a new IP and a new Metroid game...

Metroid Prime down. 97% items, 6:33 on the clock. Really wish there was a way to see what rooms have items in them...only way to get 100% without extreme memorization is to bring up a guide and literally go room-by-room throughout the whole game. It's my only complaint, but an annoying one nonetheless.

I went through the series last year for maybe the 7th or 8th time. I'm at the point now where I have pretty much all power up locations memorized :D. But yeah, it might have been helpful with this port for them to hint where powerups are like they did in MP3.

One more thing... Perhaps the OP would like to add this absolutely incredible thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470310&highlight=cut+content

The_Lump

Banned
I never really played 2 & 3 much (i know, sorry) so I'm finding it hard to adjust to the wiimote. Especially as I recently played Prime again on GC! Would have been nice to play just with the gamepad tbh.

Still, it's a joy to play them again :) And dat price!

Rich!

I never really played 2 & 3 much (i know, sorry) so I'm finding it hard to adjust to the wiimote. Especially as I recently played Prime again on GC! Would have been nice to play just with the gamepad tbh.

As I explained before, that would have required Nintendo to offer the original gamecube versions too.

Metroid Prime Trilogy has MP1 and 2 ported to the MP3 engine for wiimote functionality and other features iirc. Its not as simple as just adding controller support as an option, especially when this Wii U version is a literal 1:1 rip of the Wii release with no changes whatsoever.

The_Lump

Banned
As I explained before, that would have required Nintendo to offer the original gamecube versions too.

Metroid Prime Trilogy has MP1 and 2 ported to the MP3 engine for wiimote functionality iirc.

Yeah I know it was never on the cards, I'm just saying it would have been nice (because I'm now too lazy to point something at the screen for more than a few mins).

I'm just thinking out loud. In all honesty the motion controls are very intuitive so I will get used to it.

Madao

As I said, they changed something somewhere. I can run the Trilogy (from my discs) in Wii-mode and I can run it digital on the WiiU, and there are differences that are more than just disc read speeds.

Image just looks cleaner.

maybe your eyes are playing with you.

i ran both the disc and digital versions when making the load times vids and they look the same and feel the same. the only difference is load times for obvious reasons.

Wii mode outputs everything in 480p

Wii U uses an upscaler.

The changes are OS related

the upscaler works in either mode. i got the 480p image upscaled to 1080p in both versions.

Vena

maybe your eyes are playing with you.

i ran both the disc and digital versions when making the load times vids and they look the same and feel the same. the only difference is load times for obvious reasons.

Must be my eyes then, lol. Images just look smoother to me but I haven't done side-by-side comparisons.

Rich!

As I said, they changed something somewhere. I can run the Trilogy (from my discs) in Wii-mode and I can run it digital on the WiiU, and there are differences that are more than just disc read speeds.

Image just looks cleaner.

Uh

The Wii U digital version is the Wii version playing in Wii Mode. It uses a custom ios or cutback Wii OS of some sort to utilize the Wii U storage as memory and the Wii OS loads from that as if it was a bog standard Wii ISO or disc.

As soon as you hit play on MPT on Wii U mode, it boots it in Wii Mode. You are getting EXACTLY the same experience as if you used the actual disc aside from a reduction in loading times.

Simple to say, your mind is playing tricks on you.

And yes, Wii mode is upscaled to 1080p by the Wii U.

Vena

Uh

The Wii U digital version is the Wii version playing in Wii Mode. It uses a custom ios or cutback Wii OS of some sort to utilize the Wii U storage as memory and the Wii OS loads from that as if it was a bog standard Wii ISO or disc.

As soon as you hit play on MPT on Wii U mode, it boots it in Wii Mode. You are getting EXACTLY the same experience as if you used the actual disc aside from a reduction in loading times.

I know that it boots Wii mode, why would you think I would miss a fact like that? I was thinking (incorrectly it seems) that they simply changed something in how the WiiU handles WIi-mode upscaling.

But alas, no.

It's been forever since I played it, but if I had a MP3 save on my Wii, will the Trilogy recognize it like SMG2 recognized my exisiting save? Or does Trilogy make its own save file?

Rich!

It's been forever since I played it, but if I had a MP3 save on my Wii, will the Trilogy recognize it like SMG2 recognized my exisiting save? Or does Trilogy make its own save file?

Trilogy has its own self contained save for all three titles, sorry.

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
I'm so happy this got released on Wii U, even if it's just the same Wii game but in digital form. Three of the most amazing videogames ever developed in my opinion, and the new Wii Remote controls are pretty awesome with the added precision and stuff, everything is just more fun. Of course, I'm one of those guys that really did like all kinds of motion controls that that the Wii introduced...
I especially enjoy the lever mechanics in Corruption.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Caved and decided to triple dip. Realized I only needed to add 57 cents to have enough to cover it, which was a nice surprise.

Kathian

Banned
All the Wii VC does is switch the Wii U on and off and contacts the Wii system at the same time. The video source at least switches on and off.

Rich!

What a crazy good deal. I wish I could use a pro controller instead of waggle =/

Buy Metroid Prime 1 and 2 for the gamecube which are dirt cheap, rip them to usb using a Wii.

Now install nintendont on your Wii U and you can play them in upscaled 1080p with a Wii U pro controller. Problem solved.

Can I buy this game without having the space on my Wii U for it? I don't have an external hard drive yet, but I don't want to miss out on this deal.

Ulysses 31

Can I buy this game without having the space on my Wii U for it? I don't have an external hard drive yet, but I don't want to miss out on this deal.

Of course, you can download and redownload whenever you have enough space
dispite Ninty not having an account system. >.>

Chrom

This is my first time playing the Metroid Prime games. Really liking the first game so far.

What are some commonly missed scans in Prime 1? I'm not using a guide, but I've been pretty conscious about scanning everything of interest for 100%.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Neff

I will say that the near-nonexistent loading times of this version are very welcome. It's immediately noticeable from the prologue.

So apparently I've talked one of my colleagues to buy the trilogy. She's never been a fan of FPSes and hates playing with dual analogues, but really liked the idea of a strong female badass in a game that's a bit slower and more adventure-y.

She's never even heard of Metroid before this, and hasn't played much more than the Mario games and Captain Toad on the Wii U up until now.

It should be interesting to see what she thinks!

trixx

Just beat first boss and had to escape the planet. Really hyped for the rest of this.

The game is extremely dark also. It's like i have to play with lights off

Wow @ the guy that beat it in 6 hours. Stop and smell the roses, mate.

Re. the GC / Wii control method: I like them both, don't think one is better than the other. The pointer controls are awesome, but given the non dual analogue setup of the game, I think the Wavebird is also great for it. Beam switching is so much easier with the C-stick, which I missed in the Wii game, especially in the final boss battle in thegl first Prime.

I'm not into dual analogue FPS games, my brain isn't wired for controlling two sticks at once. Though I could definitely play with pointer controls.

AniHawk

if i had to classify metroid prime and echoes, i would probably call them action-adventure games instead of first-person shooters. anyone else feel the same way? the first game in particular felt more like a zelda game.

i guess corruption is the most shooter out of all of them. probably because it was built around the wii remote instead of the slower and thus inferior gamecube controls.

tengiants

if i had to classify metroid prime and echoes, i would probably call them action-adventure games instead of first-person shooters. anyone else feel the same way? the first game in particular felt more like a zelda game.

i guess corruption is the most shooter out of all of them. probably because it was built around the wii remote instead of the slower and thus inferior gamecube controls.

Yes. I've thought this for a long time. Particularly because of how the lock on mechanic works and all the enemies are built around it, it really is a lot like a Zelda game. Not to mention all that exploration.

Clockwork5

This is amazing!! About 3 hours into prime and at the point where the controls feel completely natural. This game is so much better than I remember and it looks great as well. Never played the sequels so I am beyond excited to take my time and completely absorb all three titles!

Yes. I've thought this for a long time. Particularly because of how the lock on mechanic works and all the enemies are built around it, it really is a lot like a Zelda game. Not to mention all that exploration.

For a long time now I've described the Metroid Prime games as sci-fi Legend of Zelda (and the 2-D games as well but with much more platforming). The way the games play, the design philosophy, how you progress, all have a lot in common with Legend of Zelda. Calling Metroid a shooter is like calling Zelda a hack and slash.

shmoglish

Never played Metroid, never played anything with the Mote+nunchuck combination. But I am really looking forward playing this games.

Mokujin

For a long time now I've described the Metroid Prime games as sci-fi Legend of Zelda (and the 2-D games as well but with much more platforming). The way the games play, the design philosophy, how you progress, all have a lot in common with Legend of Zelda. Calling Metroid a shooter is like calling Zelda a hack and slash.

Indeed, one of the things that I really loved about the Metroid Prime series is that aside from being awesome on its own it fulfilled my desire to play a Zelda Like game but really challenging, I didn't expect to find that in Metroid Prime, so that was a great added bonus.

Frick Boost Guardian though...

AniHawk

Nintendo do. They marketed Metroid Prime as a "first person adventure"

all right. i'm doing the game of the generation vote and i think i had metroid prime 2 as a first-person shooter in 2004. i think i'll be adjusting the genre for these games slightly as the game isn't really about the shooting much.

i think it's also that in 2002, there were first-person shooters like perfect dark and goldeneye that had more of an adventure feel, challenging you with multiple objectives for a better rank should you want to try them. for me, it felt metroid prime fit closer with that sort of style, so i scoffed at the idea that they were anything other than first-person shooters. however, since then, and having been exposed to more games in the genre (and replaying metroid prime), there really is a big difference.

i think oddworld: stranger's wrath and chronicles of riddick: escape from butcher bay fall in the same category. haven't played much of the former though, and the latter has more traditional shooter moments, but also quite a lot of things to do outside of killing folks.

I really, really hate motion controls but the implementation in this game is pretty solid.

I'd prefer the option to use a controller, but this is fine. Don't be afraid of the waggle.

Top Bottom