• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Chuckpebble

Metroid Prime down. 97% items, 6:33 on the clock. Really wish there was a way to see what rooms have items in them...only way to get 100% without extreme memorization is to bring up a guide and literally go room-by-room throughout the whole game. It's my only complaint, but an annoying one nonetheless.

I think there is a way. There is a secret in Metroid Prime 3, I don't remember if they changed it in the trilogy.

There's a map room late in the game where you launch satellites to all of the worlds in Prime 3, and also Tallon IV from Prime and the planet from Prime 2. Launching these satellites put all of the item locations from those planets on your map in the original Metroid Prime 3.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think they added the same thing to Primes 1 & 2 on the trilogy disk. Please don't hate me if I'm wrong.

This is the room in Metroid Prime 3:
Chozo Observatoy in Eastern Skytown

I think there is a way. There is a secret in Metroid Prime 3, I don't remember if they changed it in the trilogy.

There's a map room late in the game where you launch satellites to all of the worlds in Prime 3, and also Tallon IV from Prime and the planet from Prime 2. Launching these satellites put all of the item locations from those planets on your map in the original Metroid Prime 3.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think they added the same thing to Primes 1 & 2 on the trilogy disk. Please don't hate me if I'm wrong.

This is the room in Metroid Prime 3:
Chozo Observatoy in Eastern Skytown

Prime 3, yeah, but not 1 and 2 (especially 2 - where it's needed the most).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
TV is Game Mode, with 0 sharpness: Prime still looks surprisingly good. A remaster would have enhanced textures, yet I'm fine with the viuals. Both the 60fps and fluidity offered by the wiimote pointer keep the game "modern".

I just completed the introduction and I'm hooked again. I consider Prime one of the 10 best games of all time, and replaying it I'm sure new comers could end up thinking this as well, no matter the game's age.

ASIS

ill just say this and people will kill me for it but eh.

this game is not playable really with the wii mote. I mean I am really good at fps but the aiming is :
1- way too fast
2- not accurate ? I mean Is there even any sort of auto look to help ?
3- the fact I have to hold the - button then move the sensor up then press Z just to scan something not only its stupid, its also confusing as I find my self lots of times looking at my wii mote for the - button

is there a way to configure this ? during game play I couldn't find anything that can help. maybe in the main menu ?

and why is it so hard to implement a GC or WII U pro controller ? I mean I am really loving the game and I am still at the beginning of Metroid prime 1. but c'mon
I'd this your first time playin with the wii pointer?

lutheran

A followup to this, the file size in the store says 7761 and it says it in the download section of my Wii U yet in the download details of the file it says 7761 as the file size but in the actual download section as its downloading the total file size says it will be 7756 mb why is this happening it is as if the download on the store is corrupt.

And now when I look on the website it says the file is 8026 mb? Damn how can this be happening to my download lol I know you all are playing it..

2015_01_31_07_12_45.jpg

You see the difference in size and on the website it says 8026, why would this be happening?

jfoul

I bought this right when it went up on the eShop. Now I just need to buy a Wii Remote Plus and nunchuck. Unfortunately, I waited too long and now the black refurbs for $25 are out of stock.

I bought this right when it went up on the eShop. Now I just need to buy a Wii Remote Plus and nunchuck. Unfortunately, I waited too long and now the black refurbs for $25 are out of stock.

You don't need a Wii Remote Plus to play this game. A regular Wii Remote will work too

You don't need a Wii Remote Plus to play this game. A regular Wii Remote will work too

It's probably a good idea to get a Wiimote Plus so it can be used for Wii U games and other Wii games that might need it. Kind of a waste to buy a second wiimote later unless you plan on playing multiplayer.

iratA

Yep you need an SD card in the front flap of the Wii U. Formatted to FAT32, with the folder structure that jimi_dini mentions. I used the spare 4GB SDHC card that came out of a 3DS XL.

You need to play the game first as the Wii part of the Wii U won't let you copy the save over from the card until to do.

So go into Wii mode - save management - delete the save file on the internal memory then copy the downloaded file from the SD card over.

Go back to Wii U mode and start the game.

Ah you have to use wii mode and an SD Card. Sweet I'm going to try this out and I'll report back my findings. Thanks

iratA

Oh yeah baby that worked! 15 Friend Credits, 3 Free save Slots!

Dis_Gonna_be_good.gif ;-)

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Tarps

Yeah, I managed to get my 15 friend credits last night too. Without this OT, I would never have noticed until too late. Thanks everyone!

azyless

So annoying that you can't buy anything on the e-shop if you don't have the space. Guess I'll have to delete some stuff even though I don't plan on playing it right now.

tim1138

Wrapped up Prime 1 this morning, time to start a fresh save file for Prime 2. It really is amazing how good these graves still look sheet all these years, art direction is everything!

Anyone have examples of the screenshot tool? I haven't seen any pics taken with it yet.

Also, is that tool only available with the friend credits so you NEED the save file from GameFAQs to get it? Sad they'd lock such a cool feature to that. :(

And, I asked days ago, but can anyone with a Wii U disc in the console, listen if you hear a brief buzz when the disc drive does its thing? Doesn't matter if you start the game disc or start this game, when I hear the drive work, I hear a slight buzz I never noticed before, and I'm not sure if it's normal or not, I'm kind of afraid of it being harmful to discs if left unchecked.

Ridley327

God damn it I did not scan the Hive Mecha

If there's one thing that's evil about the first game when it comes to scans, it's that the enemy mobs in some of those fights are a one-time deal, even if they're visually not that much different from regular versions of those enemies. I don't believe Prime 2 did that as much, but it was a lateral move since they introduced different scans for all the boss phases, which is just as annoying.

Socreges

Banned
2015_01_31_07_12_45.jpg

You see the difference in size and on the website it says 8026, why would this be happening?
Yeah. On Thursday I didn't have enough space for Trilogy. Then yesterday I get home and it's downloaded, sitting on my dashboard. They must have shrunk it somehow?

tengiants

What a nice OP.

I own the metal box trilogy and recently started a new game, but I think I'm going to start over with the digital version for load times and that save file for the bonuses I had no idea about.

Should be a nice change of pace from all the Driveclub I've been playing.

LAA

Just realised I never actually beat MP2! I got the trilogy physical a while ago and I beat MP3 before that, but never MP1/2. I 100%ed MP1 then moved onto MP2 a little.
Was sorta burnt out on MP at that point, so stopped playing for a while. Since then, I always thought I beat MP2 or at least got pretty far, turns out I only got 4% completion :eek:.
The game has moved up to top priority on my backlog list, ha ha.

Was considering digital, it has a few perks just having it on the Wii U home menu instead, but don't think its worth it and my financial future isnt so certain later this year, so trying not to buy things I usually would in a heartbeat. That said, if anyone hasnt played these games before, or just doesnt own them, £8 is a steal for all three of these great games!

Crumbtiny

I played a little of the original on the Gamecube and i have the trilogy, but I never played through the series (or even the first one for that matter). But man, this game has it's hooks in me. The atmosphere in this game is incredible and it holds up so well. The opening area almost has a horror movie vibe to it. I'm already obsessed with scanning every little thing too. Really excited to run through this series for the first time.

Question though, is there any way to recalibrate the wiimote in-game? Whenever I feel like I'm pointing the controller straight ahead, it actually pulls to the right some. Can I just reposition the sensor bar?

Puflwiz

Banned
I played through half of Prime yesterday and this thread is making me kick myself with things I just forgot to scan. This is my 5th time playing the game god damnit

ASIS

I played a little of the original on the Gamecube and i have the trilogy, but I never played through the series (or even the first one for that matter). But man, this game has it's hooks in me. The atmosphere in this game is incredible and it holds up so well. The opening area almost has a horror movie vibe to it. I'm already obsessed with scanning every little thing too. Really excited to run through this series for the first time.

Question though, is there any way to recalibrate the wiimote in-game? Whenever I feel like I'm pointing the controller straight ahead, it actually pulls to the right some. Can I just reposition the sensor bar?
Yes, you are not pointing at the screen but at the sensor bar. So if you find your natural position shifting a little to the right then move the sensor bar to the left until it feels just right.

It seems that there are a lot of people getting this that are brand new to the experience.
There is one very important thing that this trilogy does not deliver and that is the title screen attract mode from the very first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlQEFqUIcU&spfreload=10

Make sure and watch that before each play session. Maybe have some one slam their fists down on you shoulder pads, or give you a chest bump. You know, just for good measure, to get the juices pumping.

10/10

Christine

It seems that there are a lot of people getting this that are brand new to the experience.
There is one very important thing that this trilogy does not deliver and that is the title screen attract mode from the very first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlQEFqUIcU&spfreload=10

Make sure and watch that before each play session. Maybe have some one slam their fists down on you shoulder pads, or give you a chest bump. You know, just for good measure, to get the juices pumping.

Echoes' intro is arguably even better. Music hits harder for me, and that shit with the text is so badass. You watch this intro and you know that shit is going down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ydD9vp_G_4

Fletcher

I own the steel case of this, but may download this too because Metroid Prime is great.

But fuck them for not including controller play with this. I never was a fan of the waggle play and preferred how it played on the gamecube with the wavebird.

Rich!

But fuck them for not including controller play with this. I never was a fan of the waggle play and preferred how it played on the gamecube with the wavebird.

there is absolutely no way for that to be possible without them literally giving you the GameCube versions too. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 in the trilogy use the Metroid Prime 3 Wii engine, iirc. The games were ported over. It's one or the other, there's no way to have both.

Want the gamecube controls? Buy the gamecube versions, rip them and play them on your Wii U with Nintendont. You can even use the gamecube adapter to use a real Gamecube controller and the 16:9 AR code gives you true 16:9 widescreen without clipping. done.

Still find myself doing exactly what I did when I played the retail version of MPT on Wii about 5 years or so back:

Going into the system menu and setting the aspect ratio to 4:3 for Metriod Prime 1 and 2

If you have the patience to navigate thru the Wii U's menu each time to both set the resolution back down to 480p and 4:3 on your HDTV, you may find the results actually preferable then letting it upscale... at least for the first two games.
Looks quite a bit cleaner and the UI isn't stretched, because you know, MP1 and 2's overlay's were designed for 4:3

Give it a shot and tell me what you guys think :)

PS: don't forget to change the aspect ration back to 4:3 on your HDTV as well

Toxi

Banned
Metroid Prime down. 97% items, 6:33 on the clock. Really wish there was a way to see what rooms have items in them...only way to get 100% without extreme memorization is to bring up a guide and literally go room-by-room throughout the whole game. It's my only complaint, but an annoying one nonetheless.
If hunting for items, listen closely; they have a unique whirring sound that you can listen for to tell if an expansion is close.

The one item almost everyone misses is
in a morph ball tunnel behind some foliage in one of the Chozo Ruins hallways after the furnace room.
There's no indication it's there beyond the item sound, and the scan visor doesn't help.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I was going to buy this today until I saw that I needed the nunchuk/wii mote. I don't have both!

May grab one later though.

Arkanius

If I could block everybody that calls good motion controls as "Waggle controls" I would be posting in a wasteland.

God damnit, Wiimote + Nunchuck are superior to "traditional controls" for an FPS only to be surpassed by KB+M due the center of the screen following the mouse unlike the Wiimote controls

Rich!

If I could block everybody that calls good motion controls as "Waggle controls" I would be posting in a wasteland.

God damnit, Wiimote + Nunchuck are superior to "traditional controls" for an FPS only to be surpassed by KB+M due the center of the screen following the mouse unlike the Wiimote controls

I don't get it either

When I play Metroid Prime 1 and 2, I do not move my arms or hands at all. My left hand has the nunchuck, totally comfortable to my left side and my right hand, with the wiimote, just needs the slightest movement to move the cursor across the entire screen. it's stupidly laid back.

MP3 does have silly waggle though, fuck those silly motion sensing additions.

Arkanius

I don't get it either

When I play Metroid Prime 1 and 2, I do not move my arms or hands at all. My left hand has the nunchuck, totally comfortable to my left side and my right hand, with the wiimote, just needs the slightest movement to move the cursor across the entire screen. it's stupidly laid back.

MP3 does have silly waggle though, fuck those silly motion sensing additions.

And more, all the discussion about relative position of the wiimote to the TV.
They can act as pointer controls if you sit from a further distance of the TV.

I did this test once when playing Umbrella Chronicles, I went one step behind my position until the place I aimed matched the cursor 1:1

But still, these games do not require 1:1 position, it can be relative and still work EXTREMELY WELL.

That would be an opinion. I still don't think Metroid on Wii U controls better than Halo, or the Gamecube version for that matter. I don't hate the pointer controls but I don't find them superior or more accurate at all.

Christine

Want the gamecube controls? Buy the gamecube versions, rip them and play them on your Wii U with Nintendont. You can even use the gamecube adapter to use a real Gamecube controller and the 16:9 AR code gives you true 16:9 widescreen without clipping. done.

Nintendont works with the Smash GC adapter? I'm going to have to give it another try.

Ellite25

So I'm guessing this is in SD like the Galaxy release?

I just can't play a sub HD game on my HDTV, one of the reasons I never bought a Wii.

rekameohs

Banned
there is absolutely no way for that to be possible without them literally giving you the GameCube versions too. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 in the trilogy use the Metroid Prime 3 Wii engine, iirc. The games were ported over. It's one or the other, there's no way to have both.

What's the 16:9 AR code? I've never seen one.

Rich!

Nintendont works with the Smash GC adapter? I'm going to have to give it another try.

Yeah. Load up nintendont, go to settings, update menu. Update controllers and nintendont. Restart.

Now select USE HID DEVICE in the options and have your gamecube adapter in the front two ports. Works perfectly, all four controllers at once with rumble.

TheMoon

You and me both, you and me both...

So I'm guessing this is in SD like the Galaxy release?

I just can't play a sub HD game on my HDTV, one of the reasons I never bought a Wii.

Wii games are still Wii games. Get with the program.

If hunting for items, listen closely; they have a unique whirring sound that you can listen for to tell if an expansion is close.

The one item almost everyone misses is
in a morph ball tunnel behind some foliage in one of the Chozo Ruins hallways after the furnace room.
There's no indication it's there beyond the item sound, and the scan visor doesn't help.

I use headphones so I can hear them and i got that one already >_<

Top Bottom