• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Verger

Banned
Phaaze also has the nod to Echoes with the
Phaze-Ing creatures which could be the progenitors of the Ing if they were on the Leviathan that hit Aether and fractured it.

SuomiDude

I was thinking I don't need to buy this as i have all three games on their original form already and played them on their release.... but this thread made me want to play the games again. And I'd play on the hardest difficulty as well.

Also the more people buy this game, the more message it sends to Nintendo that people want Metroid games!

rekameohs

Banned
Phaaze also has the nod to Echoes with the
Phaze-Ing creatures which could be the progenitors of the Ing if they were on the Leviathan that hit Aether and fractured it.
I definitely really liked how Phaaze subtly explained the origins of the disasters on both Tallon IV and Aether. You'll just have to handwave the idea that metroids were somehow living on Phaaze in the past, where one rode the Leviathan to Tallon IV and became Metroid Prime, since metroids were created by the Chozo and the Chozo clearly didn't know about Phaaze. Oh well! Still pretty cool stuff :p

vgamer1

Wasn't going to buy this because I already have all the games on my Wii U via Homebrew. But I read this thread and I couldn't not justify the $3 a game purchase.

Azure J

The room with the
baby Leviathan and Metroid Prime carapace

This was one of the coolest moments in the franchise for me. IIRC
the data log even takes it a step forward and boldly suggests something to the effect of "this creature was to be jettisoned to another planet as that leviathan's guardian". Seeing the cycle come full circle and the blunt implication that another Tallon IV could happen at any moment should this cycle continue was chilling.

Azure J

I definitely really liked how Phaaze subtly explained the origins of the disasters on both Tallon IV and Aether. You'll just have to handwave the idea that metroids were somehow living on Phaaze, where one rode the Leviathan and became Metroid Prime, since metroids were created by the Chozo and the Chozo clearly didn't know about Phaaze. Oh well! Still pretty cool stuff :p

Oh yes, this was all really masterfully done. Even more interestingly enough,
a lot of the indigenous life on Phaaze looked like Ing creatures hopped up on pure Phazon. If anything, I guess the final conclusion we were supposed to come to after finding the Phaaz-ing creatures in 3 was that a highly mutated version of said creature [Emperor Ing] was the Leviathan guardian for the one that struck Aether. Due to the dimensional tear creating a pocket world separate from Aether proper though, they were allowed to incubate and mutate even further due to the immense Phazon pumped into that dimension and the dimension's overall brutal climate.

rekameohs

Banned
Actually, thinking about my previous point, the chronology discrepancy could possibly be explained by
Tallon IV's leviathan choosing out a metroid from the planet to be its host. Then it became Prime by eating the core and producing phazon of its own. It wouldn't have come from Phaaze, it would've been on Tallon IV from the Chozo. Then Emperor Ing can be explained as an Ing from Phaaze, birthing the rest of the species once it crash lands on Aether.

Then the reason that metroids appear on Phaaze would be that Prime brings them there once it controls the Pirates as Dark Samus. With Prime's ability to launch leviathans at will and an entire nest of metroids, it had quite a formidable plan.

... Until Samus goes and mucks everything up by blowing up the planet.

Metroid Prime sure sparks discussion on its story for a game with so little of it, haha.

Edit: yep, we're on the same page here

Another edit: On a sidenote, I like how this series actually leads up to Metroid II in a solid way, when you think about it. The plot of Metroid II was that the Federation deemed metroids too dangerous to survive, so they ordered their extinction, and Metroid Prime features
just a single metroid nearly dooming everything

Converse

Banned
Excellent post. I felt the same way picking this up again..."why did these controls never catch on?"

Exactly this. I picked this up yesterday for the first time. Couldn't put it down until I was deathly tired at about 4am. It's freaking incredible how visceral and tight the experience is. I love the Wiimote-Nunchuck combo while slobbing out on the couch. This is glory.

Thanks, guys. Moolamb, I'm especially glad to see folks react to Prime for the first time. I'm already introducing the series to one friend, and just sent the trailer to another, who'll be downloading it on his Wii U. I think the first-timer reactions really speak to the quality of this series -- they show that those of us who played it the first time around aren't just looking at it (entirely) through nostalgia-tinted glasses.

ChuyMasta

The quick missile trick still works. It is better with the power beam though. Very useful trick to pull off specially in Pendrana drifts

Pachimari

I never saw anything interesting in these Metroid games but I just discovered this thread, and it seems like the trilogy is playable on the TV and not just on the GamePad screen.

That might sway me to buy it at $10.

bndadm

Actually, thinking about my previous point, the chronology discrepancy could possibly be explained by
Tallon IV's leviathan choosing out a metroid from the planet to be its host. Then it became Prime by eating the core and producing phazon of its own. It wouldn't have come from Phaaze, it would've been on Tallon IV from the Chozo. Then Emperor Ing can be explained as an Ing from Phaaze, birthing the rest of the species once it crash lands on Aether.

Then the reason that metroids appear on Phaaze would be that Prime brings them there once it controls the Pirates as Dark Samus. With Prime's ability to launch leviathans at will and an entire nest of metroids, it had quite a formidable plan.

... Until Samus goes and mucks everything up by blowing up the planet.

Metroid Prime sure sparks discussion on its story for a game with so little of it, haha.

Edit: yep, we're on the same page here

Another edit: On a sidenote, I like how this series actually leads up to Metroid II in a solid way, when you think about it. The plot of Metroid II was that the Federation deemed metroids too dangerous to survive, so they ordered their extinction, and Metroid Prime features
just a single metroid nearly dooming everything

This post alone cements that I need to replay 3 immediately. I don't remember ANY of this and I scanned everything. It's weird, 3 seems to fall in this black hole of my life where I know I played a few games but can't remember anything about them.

I never saw anything interesting in these Metroid games but I just discovered this thread, and it seems like the trilogy is playable on the TV and not just on the GamePad screen.

That might sway me to buy it at $10.
Yes, it's a Wii game so it works just like putting the trilogy disc into your wii u.

The image can be displayed on both tv and gamepad simultaneously, or on just one or the other, as selected by the user when starting the game.

rekameohs

Banned
This post alone cements that I need to replay 3 immediately. I don't remember ANY of this and I scanned everything. It's weird, 3 seems to fall in this black hole of my life where I know I played a few games but can't remember anything about them.
There's a lot that's inferred, but not directly explained.

There's plenty written about how each of the games, Prime 3 especially, were planned to have much more detailed scans to explain the backstory but much was cut. The pieces are still in place to figure it out, though.

There's a lot that's inferred, but not directly explained.

There's plenty written about how each of the games, Prime 3 especially, were planned to have much more detailed scans to explain the backstory but much was cut. The pieces are still in place to figure it out, though.

Metroid Prime used Dark Souls' story telling before Dark Souls was a thing :p

Veelk

Banned
I'm amazed that a decade (nearly) old trilogy is getting as much traffic as new games and news, lol.

For what it's worth, this is essentially my first Metroid ever. I played tiny portions here and there, but this is the first time I'm sitting down and actually working through the whole game.

I'm only at the beginning, but certain games have this 'feel' to them that you know they're something special. It's hard to articulate, but the sheer fact that I am impressed by the graphics of a 12 year old game running in below HD resolution speaks to this. It's not merely great art direction, it's art direction that is brought for a purpose. The entire opening level set a tone for the game that evoked the kind of vibe I get when I watch Alien. A wrecked space station with a scant few survivors, and some kind of inhuman alien presence that caused all this lurking not far away.

People praise how intuitive the wii controls are that are unlike in any other game, and while I am certainly feeling a little of that, what impresses me more how badass Samus feels without uttering a single word. Juxtaposed to the horror-esque environment is Samus, who is seemingly unfazed by the space station she is exploring. Some might argue that she is without character, but I don't think that's true. The cutscenes convey to me a certain tension. Ridley's appearance in that level, for example, has her gun up, very aware of her arch enemy, and prepared to fight, before realizing it's not the time and place and that she has to escape. This to me suggests both tension at seeing a powerful enemy and a warrior's experience. Or I'm just projecting my feelings on to her, since I was actually rather creeped out by the first level but the game played as if she had a handle on things. That's possible I suppose, but I prefer the former interpretation as it seems more appropriate within the story. Either way, the important thing is that Samus feels like she is a tense but experienced and capable soldier. She takes her job seriously, but is unafraid even though she is in a seriously scary place.

As I said, I never played a full metroid game, but I have a friend who was a fan and forced me to watch all of Other M's cutscenes to make me see how bad it is. And while the writing was obviously atrocious, I really hate seeing awesome characters made weak. At the time, I didn't like it on general principle, but if I had played Metroid Prime and then played Other M, I'd have been furious. This Samus' badassery simply radiates from her without her having to speak a word. I'd be very upset to see her reduced to the hollow shell Other M left her as.

rekameohs

Banned
Metroid Prime used Dark Souls' story telling before Dark Souls was a thing :p
One thing that's especially crazy that they weren't able to implement in the story was how in the Metroid Prime 3 trailers, they show
a future Aurora Unit (the giant brain shaped supercomputers) complex under construction, and it's the exact boss room where you fight Mother Brain in Super Metroid.
Like holy shit, how would they explain that one? But alas, all up to the imagination...!

^ and yes, Other M's characterization of Samus is absolutely maddening to a long-time fan of the series. That's the first of many issues I have with that one

Toxi

Banned
For what it's worth, this is essentially my first Metroid ever. I played tiny portions here and there, but this is the first time I'm sitting down and actually working through the whole game.

I'm only at the beginning, but certain games have this 'feel' to them that you know they're something special. It's hard to articulate, but the sheer fact that I am impressed by the graphics of a 12 year old game running in below HD resolution speaks to this. It's not merely great art direction, it's art direction that is brought for a purpose. The entire opening level set a tone for the game that evoked the kind of vibe I get when I watch Alien. A wrecked space station with a scant few survivors, and some kind of inhuman alien presence that caused all this lurking not far away.

People praise how intuitive the wii controls are that are unlike in any other game, and while I am certainly feeling a little of that, what impresses me more how badass Samus feels without uttering a single word. Juxtaposed to the horror-esque environment is Samus, who is seemingly unfazed by the space station she is exploring. Some might argue that she is without character, but I don't think that's true. The cutscenes convey to me a certain tension. Ridley's appearance in that level, for example, has her gun up, very aware of her arch enemy, and prepared to fight, before realizing it's not the time and place and that she has to escape. This to me suggests both tension at seeing a powerful enemy and a warrior's experience. Or I'm just projecting my feelings on to her, since I was actually rather creeped out by the first level but the game played as if she had a handle on things. That's possible I suppose, but I prefer the former interpretation as it seems more appropriate within the story. Either way, the important thing is that Samus feels like she is a tense but experienced and capable soldier. She takes her job seriously, but is unafraid even though she is in a seriously scary place.

As I said, I never played a full metroid game, but I have a friend who was a fan and forced me to watch all of Other M's cutscenes to make me see how bad it is. And while the writing was obviously atrocious, I really hate seeing awesome characters made weak. At the time, I didn't like it on general principle, but if I had played Metroid Prime and then played Other M, I'd have been furious. This Samus' badassery simply radiates from her without her having to speak a word. I'd be very upset to see her reduced to the hollow shell Other M left her as.
I think you can see the difference between Samus' portrayal in Prime and Other M just from her walk.

In Prime, Samus walks confidently with shoulders straight and head high. She lets her arm cannon hang at her side casually when not in combat.

In Other M, Samus constantly holds the arm cannon with her other hand as if she's worried she'll be attacked, making her look tense or anxious. Her shoulders are down and she tiptoes like she's walking on eggshells.

It's the little things that count.

Is it just me or do these games look smoother in HD on Wii U than the old Wii/GC versions up-scaled? I remember playing Prime 3 on the Wii on my 47' LCD using my receiver to upscale the image to 1080p and the game looked a lot more blurry with jaggies everywhere than the Wii U digital release.

For example, Prime Trilogy at 480p output to 1080p on Wii U has a ton less jaggies than Xenoblade being played on disc in Wii Mode on Wii U output to 1080p.

Is there any smoothing going on you guys think, or did those games simply use AA on the graphics while Xenoblade didn't use any at all?

vid

Heh, I recently re-read the fantastic OP after showing it to a couple of people. It was a pleasant surprise this morning to see that my comments about the controls got quoted!

...with that in mind, I think I've finally found something about the controls that bothers me: Switching between visors takes a little more effort that it should. While being about to point and shoot is a fantastic control method, having to hold down the - button and then point at the Scan visor over and over is just... tedious.

Is there something I'm missing here? Or should I just get used to it?

Is it just me or do these games look smoother in HD on Wii U than the old Wii/GC versions up-scaled? I remember playing Prime 3 on the Wii on my 47' LCD using my receiver to upscale the image to 1080p and the game looked a lot more blurry with jaggies everywhere than the Wii U digital release.

For example, Prime Trilogy at 480p output to 1080p on Wii U has a ton less jaggies than Xenoblade being played on disc in Wii Mode on Wii U output to 1080p.

Is there any smoothing going on you guys think, or did those games simply use AA on the graphics while Xenoblade didn't use any at all?

I was thinking the same thing, I don't remember it looking this smooth when I played Corruption on Wii. I don't own it anymore to compare, though.

iratA

So I downloaded that Prime Trilogy EU save file, but I can't for the life of me work out what folder I need to create (EU/PAL) to get the WiiU to see it on my USB. Any suggestions?

Heh, I recently re-read the fantastic OP after showing it to a couple of people. It was a pleasant surprise this morning to see that my comments about the controls got quoted!

...with that in mind, I think I've finally found something about the controls that bothers me: Switching between visors takes a little more effort that it should. While being about to point and shoot is a fantastic control method, having to hold down the - button and then point at the Scan visor over and over is just... tedious.

Is there something I'm missing here? Or should I just get used to it?

You'll quickly get down the habit of pressing the - button and flicking in the direction of the visor you need to select in one motion. The game asks you to do it so much that it will only take a split second after a short while.

ramparter

Banned
Bought it yesterday,don't know how much I m gonna play of it but I don't care. Cant give these games enough love. Also I ve been playing DKC Returns and retro delivers as always.

jimi_dini

So I downloaded that Prime Trilogy EU save file, but I can't for the life of me work out what folder I need to create (EU/PAL) to get the WiiU to see it on my USB. Any suggestions?

\private\wii\title\R3MP\

and put the file into that directory. it should be called data.bin

And I think Wii U won't see it on USB drives. You will probably have to use an SD card.

It's been years since I've played Prime. Like actual years. I'm pretty sure I was in primary school when I played Prime. Either way playing it now (and forgetting a lot of it) it's a really refreshing experience. The Wiimote controls feel perfect, I took the advice from the OP and just made everything super sensitive so it is basically slightly moving my hand. The game still looks great despite just being 480p.

This is honestly worth the £9 to experience a game I loved as a kid. Jeez, I played this about 10 years ago.

After I've played them all, I'll probably be left wanting another Prime style game for the WiiU.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You'll quickly get down the habit of pressing the - button and flicking in the direction of the visor you need to select in one motion. The game asks you to do it so much that it will only take a split second after a short while.

Yeah. It becomes second nature, but it would have been nice if you could tap - and quickly switch since that (sorta) works with her different beams defaulting to normal if you tap +.

jwillenn

I forgot Samus loses all her shit at the start of MP1. I was like "Huh.. seems OP for the start of a Metroid game". Boom.

I didn't like HOW she lost her abilities. The way she was restricted in Other M made more sense to me than a blast's impact throwing her against a wall and causing disabilities. Even if only for a few minutes following the scene, I imagined that her powered up state isn't as powerful as I've always thought.

lutheran

I haven't had time to read through most of this thread but is anyone else having problems downloading the game? I have had errors 4 times now due to the whole game not fully downloading for whatever reason. I never have this type of problem so not sure if it is the store or my Wii U..

Has anyone noticed the price for the steelcase version is dropping? Its around $50-60 or so on ebay, I seem to recall it being in the $100 range like a year ago. I really want the physical version, but hell for $10 I may just triple dip( owning the originals on their respective GC and Wii systems) if it gives NOA some semblance of a clue that,yes, a new Metroid in glorious HD is overdue.

~~Hasan~~

ill just say this and people will kill me for it but eh.

this game is not playable really with the wii mote. I mean I am really good at fps but the aiming is :
1- way too fast
2- not accurate ? I mean Is there even any sort of auto look to help ?
3- the fact I have to hold the - button then move the sensor up then press Z just to scan something not only its stupid, its also confusing as I find my self lots of times looking at my wii mote for the - button

is there a way to configure this ? during game play I couldn't find anything that can help. maybe in the main menu ?

and why is it so hard to implement a GC or WII U pro controller ? I mean I am really loving the game and I am still at the beginning of Metroid prime 1. but c'mon

Seiniyta

ill just say this and people will kill me for it but eh.

this game is not playable really with the wii mote. I mean I am really good at fps but the aiming is :
1- way too fast
2- not accurate ? I mean Is there even any sort of auto look to help ?
3- the fact I have to hold the - button then move the sensor up then press Z just to scan something not only its stupid, its also confusing as I find my self lots of times looking at my wii mote for the - button

is there a way to configure this ? during game play I couldn't find anything that can help. maybe in the main menu ?

and why is it so hard to implement a GC or WII U pro controller ? I mean I am really loving the game and I am still at the beginning of Metroid prime 1. but c'mon

First post of this topic should help you out.

Chuckpebble

It seems that there are a lot of people getting this that are brand new to the experience.
There is one very important thing that this trilogy does not deliver and that is the title screen attract mode from the very first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlQEFqUIcU&spfreload=10

Make sure and watch that before each play session. Maybe have some one slam their fists down on you shoulder pads, or give you a chest bump. You know, just for good measure, to get the juices pumping.

lutheran

I haven't had time to read through most of this thread but is anyone else having problems downloading the game? I have had errors 4 times now due to the whole game not fully downloading for whatever reason. I never have this type of problem so not sure if it is the store or my Wii U..

A followup to this, the file size in the store says 7761 and it says it in the download section of my Wii U yet in the download details of the file it says 7761 as the file size but in the actual download section as its downloading the total file size says it will be 7756 mb why is this happening it is as if the download on the store is corrupt.

And now when I look on the website it says the file is 8026 mb? Damn how can this be happening to my download lol I know you all are playing it..

Yep you need an SD card in the front flap of the Wii U. Formatted to FAT32, with the folder structure that jimi_dini mentions. I used the spare 4GB SDHC card that came out of a 3DS XL.

You need to play the game first as the Wii part of the Wii U won't let you copy the save over from the card until to do.

So go into Wii mode - save management - delete the save file on the internal memory then copy the downloaded file from the SD card over.

Go back to Wii U mode and start the game.

Metroid Prime down. 97% items, 6:33 on the clock. Really wish there was a way to see what rooms have items in them...only way to get 100% without extreme memorization is to bring up a guide and literally go room-by-room throughout the whole game. It's my only complaint, but an annoying one nonetheless.

Kito

I've followed the advice in the OP and disabled 'lock on free aim', but what does this do - what does "allows you to decouple the aiming reticule from your lock-on pivot-point" mean in simple English?

What is the worst that can happen if I go from 1 (played a few years ago) to 3? Don't know if I can dedicate the attention 2 seems to need right now. Will I miss key story elements?

I've followed the advice in the OP and disabled 'lock on free aim', but what does this do - what does "allows you to decouple the aiming reticule from your lock-on pivot-point" mean in simple English?

It means you can lock your viewpoint onto an enemy while still being able to aim the reticule at any point on the screen.

What is the worst that can happen if I go from 1 (played a few years ago) to 3? Don't know if I can dedicate the attention 2 seems to need right now. Will I miss key story elements?

All you need to know is that there's an evil Samus up to some shit.

Top Bottom