• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

AniHawk

I really, really hate motion controls but the implementation in this game is pretty solid.

I'd prefer the option to use a controller, but this is fine. Don't be afraid of the waggle.

there isn't any waggle in the first two games though? i think the third one has motion controls on the nunchuck and all that is is the player pulling back on it.

Dizzy

Banned
Caved in and bought it. I couldn't resist the 8.99 price.

I don't think I'm gonna play it yet though. I want to go back and play all of the Metroid games so I'm still waiting for nintendo to put Zero Mission on the eu eshop.

Thaedolus

there isn't any waggle in the first two games though? i think the third one has motion controls on the nunchuck and all that is is the player pulling back on it.

There's some other hand twist/lock interactions and stuff, but it's pretty minimal. The pointer aiming more than makes up for any waggle bullshit.

ASIS

I beat the entire trilogy not more than two weeks ago.. But fuck I wanna join in on the fun as well :/

I might cave and start replaying the game with you guys. But for sure i'm not doing a 100% again.

AniHawk

There's some other hand twist/lock interactions and stuff, but it's pretty minimal. The pointer aiming more than makes up for any waggle bullshit.

that's not waggle though. that's just straight up gesture control. waggle is like wave the stick to jump in de blob or wave the stick to attack in twilight princess.

but i guess if people don't like motion controls at all, then there's no distinction when they have to make an extra effort. still wish the industry hadn't ignored pointer controls for the godliness they are.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There's no hyperbole in saying this game plays like a dream. I'm always for having options so I understand some people regret not having dual stick controls. But it still plays like a dream with the pointer.

I'm enjoying corruption, but not sure how I feel about the attempts at big combat set pieces with lots of NPCs. To me the prime series is about lonely exploration.

Maybe I just need to give it more time.

Toxi

Banned
I'm enjoying corruption, but not sure how I feel about the attempts at big combat set pieces with lots of NPCs. To me the prime series is about lonely exploration.

Thankfully, the big combat set pieces are mostly at the beginning of the game before you reach Bryyo. Most of the rest of the game is less typical.

I started replaying Metroid Prime 2 again and it's still pretty great. I can understand the dark world being a bit of a drab, but some people make it seem Echoes is like the black sheep of the trilogy.

I'd say Echoes easily stands as tall as the other two in the Prime series.

Oidisco

I've noticed that some of the Chozo lore in Prime 1 is different from the original European version that I have. I'm not sure I like it.

Renewed

Forgot to post because the game is fun.

Finally playing it after 11 years since Prime and it feels so good. Regained most of my equipment so I'd consider that the beginning of the game and I have to say: The combat, the atmosphere, the importance of scanning (because you're not just fightin' all day err' day). It all comes together so well.

So glad I have a Wii U. Thank you Nintendo for coming through with this.

Toxi

Banned
I've noticed that some of the Chozo lore in Prime 1 is different from the original European version that I have. I'm not sure I like it.
Both are very different from the original NTSC version, since all the pirate data about Metroid Prime is gone.

Incidentally, does anyone know if others on your friends list can see what you're playing when you're in one of these digital Wii games? I'd check myself but y'know, can't access the friends list without rebooting the system while in one of them.

that's not waggle though. that's just straight up gesture control. waggle is like wave the stick to jump in de blob or wave the stick to attack in twilight princess.

but i guess if people don't like motion controls at all, then there's no distinction when they have to make an extra effort. still wish the industry hadn't ignored pointer controls for the godliness they are.

Seriously. Playing through this I'm almost starting to take it personally when people post "lol waggle" stuff. I almost feel like from an anthropometric point of view critiques of these controls are objectively wrong. I'm about at the point where I'm ready to point a finger at user inadaptability and flat out irrational bias. Even using the word 'waggle' itself is needlessly derisive and frequently divorced from any meaningful context.

atbigelow

Incidentally, does anyone know if others on your friends list can see what you're playing when you're in one of these digital Wii games? I'd check myself but y'know, can't access the friends list without rebooting the system while in one of them.
Pretty sure it'll just say "Metroid Prime Trilogy" instead of the individual game. That's how it was logged in the original Wii.

I started replaying Metroid Prime 2 again and it's still pretty great. I can understand the dark world being a bit of a drab, but some people make it seem Echoes is like the black sheep of the trilogy.

I'd say Echoes easily stands as tall as the other two in the Prime series.

For me Prime 1 is best, Prime 2 second followed by Prime 3 being the worst of the three games. Prime 3 played it safe and also was too easy and didn't give you the feelings of isolation that the other two did.

Chozolore

For me Prime 1 is best, Prime 2 second followed by Prime 3 being the worst of the three games. Prime 3 played it safe and also was too easy and didn't give you the feelings of isolation that the other two did.

3 isn't bad at all though, but I agree with the order, although at release the wiimote controls were a step up from the gamepad.

Seriously. Playing through this I'm almost starting to take it personally when people post "lol waggle" stuff. I almost feel like from an anthropometric point of view critiques of these controls are objectively wrong. I'm about at the point where I'm ready to point a finger at user inadaptability and flat out irrational bias. Even using the word 'waggle' itself is needlessly derisive and frequently divorced from any meaningful context.

I've felt this way for a long time. The out of hand dismissal of any form of motion control, or equating the pointer with the gyro is just brain dead at times.

Both are very different from the original NTSC version, since all the pirate data about Metroid Prime is gone.
What do you mean? And why would they change something so insignificant as lore you had to scan than even after doing so half of the players I assure you didn't even read?

Pachimari

I just purchased this trilogy. Hope I won't regret it.

It never looked interesting to me, but the price is good and I'm craving for some Wiimote action.

Ocaso

What do you mean? And why would they change something so insignificant as lore you had to scan than even after doing so half of the players I assure you didn't even read?

Several entries contradicted each other. There are notable differences among versions, but they're mostly curiosities more than anything else.

I guess I will buy this even though I have the disc. Then j won't have to ever deal with the disc or worry about pulling it out and scratching or anything.

Toxi

Banned
Retro thought the original game's scan data created a plot hole, since the Pirates couldn't access Impact Crater through the Cradle yet the Pirate Data says they found Metroid Prime in the Phazon Mines.

I don't think the original had a plot hole; it makes sense when you realize that the Cradle didn't completely work. Phazon was still spreading deep underground despite the Chozo's efforts. It's likely Metroid Prime encountered the Pirates by burrowing under the Cradle's barrier, then went back to the Phazon Core after escaping the Pirates. If anything, removing the scans creates a new plot hole, since there's no explanation on why
Metroid Prime has missile launchers, gas bombs, a tractor beam, etc.

Here are the original North American scans.

Metroid Prime

"Log 11.156.9

Test subject Z-d, hereafter referred to as Metroid Prime, was recently discovered in a cavern by mining crews. It quickly dispatched the miners, but was eventually contained by security units and drones. Once contained, we were able to begin studies upon Metroid Prime. The results have been astonishing. It is genetically similar to a Metroid, albeit on a high evolved level. It displays a limitless capacity for Phazon infusion and shows no Phazon-based degeneration whatsoever. It continues to grow in size, and while it has manifested some psychotic behavior, the cold field we use to pacify remain effective. Authorization for advanced studies on Metroid Prime have been approved."

Prime Mutations

"Log 11.402.5

Metroid Prime continues to feed and grow ever larger in the impact crater caves. Its hunger knows no bounds, and it has begun to manifest unusual mutations since its breach. These include armor plating on its epidermis and mechanical outgrowths that generate defense screens. These screens render it invulnerable to most weapon systems, but a flaw in the mutation leads to increased vulnerability to certain weapons. It compensates for this by shifting the screens quickly. This latest development concerns Security units greatly: they feel it's a matter of time before Metroid Prime corrects this defect and renders itself invulnerable to all weaponry. Containment would be nigh impossible if this were to occur."

Prime Breach

"Log 11.377.1

Subject Metroid Prime's breach has been contained. Reports indicate that it sensed a large batch of raw Phazon in the lab from within its stasis tank and broke through the glass, using previously unsuspected strength. Besides consuming all of the Phazon, Metroid Prime assimilated several weapons and defense systems from fallen security units. It has suffered no ill effect from said assimilation: indeed, it began to use its newly acquired weapons against us. Once we pacified it, we were unable to remove the assimilated gear without threat to Metroid Prime — the gear is now an integral part of its body. Command is intrigued by this newfound ability, and has ordered further study to commence at once."

Chozo Artifacts

"Log 11.452.8

We are particularly interested in a number of curious Chozo Artifacts we have been able to recover from a number of religious sites on Tallon IV. These relics resonate with power, and yet we are unable to harness them in any way. Science Team is attempting to fuse them together with Phazon, believing that a link might exist between them. We know that these Artifacts are linked to the Chozo Temple that block full access to the Impact Crater. We have yet to crack this enigma, however. Command grows impatient regarding this matter: results must be produced soon."

This is my first time playing the Metroid Prime games. Really liking the first game so far.

What are some commonly missed scans in Prime 1? I'm not using a guide, but I've been pretty conscious about scanning everything of interest for 100%.

These seem to be the scans that you have a limited chance to get. I wouldn't worry about missing anything else because you probably will scan everything if you're aiming for 100% so this is just so that you can be sure that you don't miss any of the limited scans.

*Fall of Zebes (Research Frigate Orpheon - Biohazard Containment)
*Parasite (Research Frigate Orpheon)
*Ram War Wasp (Chozo Ruins - Hive Totem)
*Barbed War Wasp (Chozo Ruins - Burn Dome)
*Hive Mecha (Chozo Ruins - Hive Totem)
*Incinerator Drone (Chozo Ruins - Burn Dome)
*Ice Parasite (Phendrana Drifts - Chozo Ice Temple)
*Ice Shriekbat (Phendrana Drifts - Ice Ruins West*)
*Ice Burrower (Phendrana Drifts - Plaza Walkway)
*Aqua Drone (Tallon Overworld - Biohazard Containment)
*Elite Pirate (Phazon Mines)
*Phazon Elite (Phazon Mines - Elite Research)
*Parasite Queen (Research Frigate Orpheon - Reactor Core)
*Flaahgra (Chozo Ruins - Sunchamber)
*Flaahgra Tentacle (Chozo Ruins - Sunchamber)
*Thardus (Phendrana Drifts - Quarantine Cave)
*Omega Pirate (Phazon Mines - Elite Quarters)
*Meta Ridley (Tallon Overworld - Artifact Temple)
*Metroid Prime (1) (Impact Crater - Subchamber One, Subchamber Two, Subchamber Three, Subchamber Four)
*Metroid Prime (2) (Impact Crater - Metroid Prime Lair)
*Map Station (Most areas)
*Stalactite (Magmoor Caverns, Phendrana Drifts)
*Missile Door Lock (Most areas)

Dimmle

Here's a cool tip: if you're playing MP1 or 2, switch controls to "Advanced" and turn free aim while locked on to "Off."

I actually died to the Hive Totem once before realizing that these games were truly made for the snap-to aiming that is not enabled by default.

Verger

Banned
Here's a cool tip: if you're playing MP1 or 2, switch controls to "Advanced" and turn free aim while locked on to "Off."

I actually died to the Hive Totem once before realizing that these games were truly made for the snap-to aiming that is not enabled by default.
I'm pretty sure that's in the OP :)

Anyway, I got up to defeating Flaagra and man, this game is as good as I remembered and there are so few games that you can play 10+ years later and still say it is one of the best games of all time. Again the story and lore is just amazing, as you're given the backstory of Flaagra through scans of the environment and plantlife/water as well as the Chozo Lore entries with lots of foreshadowing.

I do not know how Retro did it, but they somehow managed the perfect pacing and design. You travel across worlds and do lots of backtracking and such, which normally is tedious, but there's something just so compelling about going through these worlds and traversing the corridors again and again. They're so unique and beautiful even though the graphics are for the most part dated. I'm sure it also helps that Retro put lots of different items that are unreachable when you first show up which require several upgrades to get to and that they somehow change the environment or the enemies within to keep things fresh.

Oh and the load times. They're awesome. I swear I've not had to "wait" outside of a door for things to load yet, and I've of course visited the Temple Crater which was the worst on the Gamecube and I'm sure there were areas in the Chozo ruins that took forever to load, but here it's pretty much almost instant.

Heading back to continue and head into Magmoor :)

Dimmle

I'm really enjoying my time revisiting Prime.

That Chozo Lore, though-- I had no idea that the Chozo invented purple prose. I used to think that stuff was Shakespeare back in the day. It's... definitely not.

Still, the concept is solid and it's an engrossing, progressive method of storytelling (the only game with a similar method of story dispersion around this point was System Shock, right?) even if the Chozo were bad creative writing students.

Chrom

These seem to be the scans that you have a limited chance to get. I wouldn't worry about missing anything else because you probably will scan everything if you're aiming for 100% so this is just so that you can be sure that you don't miss any of the limited scans.

*Fall of Zebes (Research Frigate Orpheon - Biohazard Containment)
*Parasite (Research Frigate Orpheon)
*Ram War Wasp (Chozo Ruins - Hive Totem)
*Barbed War Wasp (Chozo Ruins - Burn Dome)
*Hive Mecha (Chozo Ruins - Hive Totem)
*Incinerator Drone (Chozo Ruins - Burn Dome)
*Ice Parasite (Phendrana Drifts - Chozo Ice Temple)
*Ice Shriekbat (Phendrana Drifts - Ice Ruins West*)
*Ice Burrower (Phendrana Drifts - Plaza Walkway)
*Aqua Drone (Tallon Overworld - Biohazard Containment)
*Elite Pirate (Phazon Mines)
*Phazon Elite (Phazon Mines - Elite Research)
*Parasite Queen (Research Frigate Orpheon - Reactor Core)
*Flaahgra (Chozo Ruins - Sunchamber)
*Flaahgra Tentacle (Chozo Ruins - Sunchamber)
*Thardus (Phendrana Drifts - Quarantine Cave)
*Omega Pirate (Phazon Mines - Elite Quarters)
*Meta Ridley (Tallon Overworld - Artifact Temple)
*Metroid Prime (1) (Impact Crater - Subchamber One, Subchamber Two, Subchamber Three, Subchamber Four)
*Metroid Prime (2) (Impact Crater - Metroid Prime Lair)
*Map Station (Most areas)
*Stalactite (Magmoor Caverns, Phendrana Drifts)
*Missile Door Lock (Most areas)

Thank you! It doesn't appear that I may have missed any so far.

Jhotun

Neo Member
I was very tempted today to get them, but the original gamecube and wii ones are right under the TV, so I really need a very good reason to spend 7Gb of my WiiU rather than the discs I already have. Is there anything in particular that really makes this purchase worth when you already have the games?

I've only ever gotten half way through Prime. I've wanted to play through the trilogy for a long time now. Have had sort of a bad experience so far. Took like 20 minutes trying to figure out the Wii setup. I'm totally a dumbass and didn't realize the sensor bar needs like two clicks to be pushed in all the way. So got the wiimote up and running. Next up was trying to get comfortable in bed with holding the wiimote. Had my pillow on my lap and was resting the wiimote there. Still sort of puts a bit of strain on my wrist? I barely got through the intro before I decided to take a break. I'm sure I just need to keep playing and find the best position and sensitivity for the wiimote, but didnt have an amazing time right from the start.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I was very tempted today to get them, but the original gamecube and wii ones are right under the TV, so I really need a very good reason to spend 7Gb of my WiiU rather than the discs I already have. Is there anything in particular that really makes this purchase worth when you already have the games?

Besides the convenience of not having to use physical media, not really. It's a great offer for people who never played them, or played them back in the day and don't have their DVDs anymore... but for people who do, and don't want to double dip, there's nothing of real value in them.

Kjellson

This eShop release means that I can finally stop regretting that I didn't buy the really cheap Trilogy at HMV a bunch a years ago. :')

I liked them, because I feel at least the game tried something new. It still has a lot of "lonely exploration" later in the game.

Played a bit of Prime 1 last night. Have to say the controls are well implemented but I still prefer the gamecube controls.

I wonder if there are many people who first experienced the Wii controls, then the GC controls who think this.

Because I can't even imagine why you would prefer the terrible tanky controls to what the Wiimote provides for Prime 1/2, but each to their own.

This is just wrong. It introduced a new control scheme that had never been done before in gaming. How is that playing it safe? And after the first hour or two, you are off wandering alien planets just like in the past games.

Timeaisis

Something happens every time I get to that certain part of the
Chozo Ruins
after getting the spider ball. Every time I'm like "shit, I must have missed the Ice beam." And, of course, I didn't, I just freak out for thirty minutes as I think I'll inevitably run into a brick wall. Lol every time.

This is just wrong. It introduced a new control scheme that had never been done before in gaming. How is that playing it safe? And after the first hour or two, you are off wandering alien planets just like in the past games.

It's a good game but it was clearly designed around the new control and I think it suffered a tad for that.

A bit actiony and dumbed down and the "nunchuk flip" to remove armor got old after a while.

Top Bottom