• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Shit, the intro segment of 3 has that part where
you're rolling along in morph ball mode and suddenly Ridley crashes onto the pipe you're in, pins you, and tries to bite you, and then the awesome boss battle that follows.
That alone makes the entire opening section worth it.

Damn right. And there were other fantastic touches too, like on the GFS Olympus when you are rolling through a morphball tunnel, you see above ground the hunters do battle with the Space Pirates. And on Norian you when are trying to reach the generator, You see Ridley fly by as the Federation troop is like "What the hell is that!" Great stuff.

I understood that. I'm saying MP1 risked so much in so many ways that they had to, admittedly, play it safer in the environments. And it still was a new thing back in 2002 being the first 3D Metroid ever and all!

My point still stands. Even if the environments were more original in MP2 that would be true only in the light world because in the (also clichéd as shit) dark world everything looked like crap and the same. I couldn't tell one level clearly from other if I was looking only to dark world screenshots! The "originality" card was spent on the light sections also because the other half is a horrible thing to look, hear and be in.

I know MP2 is a better game than the vast majority of games in the market today but for me it was a test of frustration and agony. I dreaded going to the dark world everytime that I had to do bad. It's a shame that the good graphics, music and art direction were spent only on half the game.

I don't think them choosing fire/ice/forest etc environments had anything to do with risks taken elsewhere. But even though they were cliche as far as fire ice forest etc they were absolutely FANTASTIC in their design and atmosphere. I agree with you that Echoes has it's problems, most of which were fixed in Corruption, but GAF prefers Echoes by far. It IS an incredible game despite it's issues though. It's the third best game in an amazing trilogy.

Mistle

So to clarify about the black bars I have the option to turn off overscan in the developers menu of my tv. When I turn it off Wii U games display full screen, but there are black bars for Wii games. Should I leave it on while playing wii games? Will it get rid of the black bars and everything will still be visable?

Some Wii games fill the screen, so you'll wanna leave overscan off and only enable it on a case to case basis. MPTrilogy doesn't fill the screen for some reason, so enabling overscan will be fine. But make sure to disable it when you're done as it screws up just about everything else, zooming the screen in, reducing total pixels on the screen, cropped HUD, etc. But you probably know this.

It just sucks, as most TVs have it enabled by default and some people never know.

Even Prime 1 had the aesthetic sense to visually differentiate the Impact Crater from the other Phazon-related environments we'd seen up to that point, so I'm not sure why they couldn't manage even some different colour schemes for Dark Aether - the similarities between each dark area absolutely hurt them. I don't really agree on the music, though - where they should have been dread-inducing industrial ambiance, the Dark Aether themes ended up as blander versions of the main themes for each location, conveying very little in terms of atmosphere. Though I guess the tiny amount of memory allocated for audio samples would have obstructed any attempt to go in that direction...

I could be mistaken, but I think a lack of time might have been partially responsible. Prime and Corruption both had close to three year development cycles while Echoes only had two.

Damn right. And there were other fantastic touches too, like on the GFS Olympus when you are rolling through a morphball tunnel, you see above ground the hunters do battle with the Space Pirates. And on Norian you when are trying to reach the generator, You see Ridley fly by as the Federation troop is like "What the hell is that!" Great stuff.

I forgot about that! I loved that.

I could be mistaken, but I think a lack of time might have been partially responsible. Prime and Corruption both had close to three year development cycles while Echoes only had two.

It's also possible it was deliberate. The Ing seem like they were supposed to feel like an unstoppable mass with a singular purpose. Their first individual is their emperor and they even have a "hive." Like bees. Or the Borg. A more unified appearance would play into that.

It doesn't really come through that way in the game, though, and it's just speculation anyway.

Verger

Banned
On Dark Aether. I didn't mind it. I actually enjoyed the challenge of navigating the harsh environment and felt the differences in the environment from Light Aether were enough for me, even if they were somewhat subtle in certain areas, I felt they conveyed the idea that this was a twisted world from the Light side and at the same time showed that the world of the Ing was kind of a monolithic entity of its own since the Ing were a HIve.

On Corruption. I really loved this game and personally don't feel it deserves to be "ranked below" the first two. It is a very streamlined game and the pacing that was present in Prime 1 is back in force. I didn't have a problem with the Intro with the Federation and the new Bounty Hunters. And once that is over you are back to being on an isolated world on Bryyo and especially Elysia. Then you've got unexpected places like the
Space Pirate Homeworld
and The Valhalla which really make things stand out.

And of course that game sold me on the motion controls. I actually enjoyed the "gimmicky" "waggle" of ripping of shields with your grappling beam and manipulating locks or items. I felt it gave another level of interaction from the user which was appreciated.

Just got the Space Jump in Prime 1 so I think I'm headed back to Phendrana. Another thing I love about Prime 1's world is of course how interconnected it is and how fast you can get from point A to point B. And the fast load times on the digital release help out with that even more. :)

K' Dash

that loooooooooong stretch without save points in Phazon Mines is still the bane of my life in Prime, I swear nothing in Echoes fucked me so bad, I could not remember how to kill the fucking invisible drone and had to call a friend of mine as I wad about to die amd lose almos 2 hours of progress :/

that loooooooooong stretch without save points in Phazon Mines is still the bane of my life in Prime, I swear nothing in Echoes fucked me so bad, I could not remember how to kill the fucking invisible drone and had to call a friend of mine as I wad about to die amd lose almos 2 hours of progress :/

Is it even possible to kill that thing without the Wavebuster?

yami4ct

Bought this on a whim even though I have all 3 on disc already. Gave me an excuse to play Prime 1 again, one of my favorite games ever.

Control-wise, I feel the same way as I did about Metroid Prime 3. They're fine, but I'd still rather play with a controller or Mouse+Keyboard. Pointer controls feel like they occupy a weird space between the two that kind of just doesn't work. Really don't like my camera being decoupled from my aim, but that's just my feelings.

Got all the way to the space boots in Prime 1, and it's as great as I remember. Wonderful world design that leads you where you need to go without plopping an arrow on the ground. Wonderful art style, music and sound design. Love the enemy varieties. Just amazing. Definitely going to play all 3 again now. Expect to really like Echoes and be kind of disappointed in Corruption, just like the first time around, but definitely worth giving them another go around.

So, I played about 2 hours of Metroid Prime today and I have to say, my younger self is an idiot for not playing this game all the way through and not appreciating it for what it is: A 3D Super Metroid.

I mean just the opening is absolutely mindbogglingly incredible, I am absolutely falling in love with this game whereas I hated it in my youth.

Just purchased it. Have only rented and played a couple hours of the first when it originally released, so this will largely be a fresh experience for me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just got home after being away since last night and can't fucking wait to play some more. I haven't been this into a game for like five months.

This game has held up SO WELL. Prime is still blowing my mind. I can appreciate the textures and lighting on a nice TV now. Enemies and level design are so creative. Gameplay superb. Music as good and spacey as ever.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone actually enjoy fighting the space pirates? I never have, and still don't on this playthrough. Their quick, erratic movements make them feel totally random and mindless.

Bought this friday, and while i was at it i got super mario galaxy 2 too since i forgot to do so when it was 10$, and bought super metroid too! haha

can't wait to be able to play all of them in the following days. This series is incredible and i am very surprised how good they look on my hdtv.

Since a 3ds and a wii u metroid are being planned, do you think that for the 3ds we will get a sequel to fusion or even a remake to metroid 2? and for wii u they will follow prime 3's 100% ending? I really want a new metroid

K' Dash

Does anyone actually enjoy fighting the space pirates? I never have, and still don't on this playthrough. Their quick, erratic movements make them feel totally random and mindless.

The colored ones can be a bit annoying, all the others become trivial as soon as you get the ice beam.

I just got the last visor and the grapple beam, I'm going to backtrack a little bit and do some exploration :D

Socreges

Banned
Bought this friday, and while i was at it i got super mario galaxy 2 too since i forgot to do so when it was 10$, and bought super metroid too! haha

can't wait to be able to play all of them in the following days. This series is incredible and i am very surprised how good they look on my hdtv.

Since a 3ds and a wii u metroid are being planned, do you think that for the 3ds we will get a sequel to fusion or even a remake to metroid 2? and for wii u they will follow prime 3's 100% ending? I really want a new metroid
This confirmed? Where did you hear this?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The colored ones can be a bit annoying, all the others become trivial as soon as you get the ice beam.
I'm not talking about how difficult / easy they are, but how fun they are to fight. I've always found myself wishing they were slower and more methodical and intelligent like the Elites from Halo.

Toxi

Banned
I have to admire Retro's direction with world-building in Metroid Prime 2. Instead of reusing all the Metroid staples, they made their own ideas. The two main threats in the game, Dark Samus and the Ing, are completely new additions to the Metroid mythos. Ridley and Mother Brain are nowhere to be found, replaced by new crazy creatures. Instead of reusing the Chozo they created a new civilization with the Luminoth. Aether itself is a wonderfully desolate and gloomy alien place that's just as strange and interesting as the vivid caverns of Zebes.

Nintendo, I am done with Zebes. I played three games on Zebes and two on space station imitations of Zebes. Retro are the only people at Nintendo who seemed to realize the potential Metroid has for new and interesting worlds; everyone else stuck to the security of the familiar.
Oh yeah because the whole Dark vs Light in MP2 is super original right? Never has Nintendo ever used that one before!!! And even if you were right that would only make you half right since the whole damn dark world looked like shit all the time, too same-y and had horrible non-music.
Ing Hive looks pretty unique and has some damn creepy ambience, so that's at least one dark world that worked.

This game has held up SO WELL. Prime is still blowing my mind. I can appreciate the textures and lighting on a nice TV now. Enemies and level design are so creative. Gameplay superb. Music as good and spacey as ever.

I disagree. Maybe it's my TV but Prime looks really meh to me. Textures are muddy, screen tearing is everywhere, game overall has a blurry, fuzzy feel. I know that it was made more to add motion controls, but I really wish Nintendo had sprung for a bit of a resolution upgrade.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking more about how I don't like the space pirates, and ya know, I don't think I really like combat in the Prime series at all. I find myself just running past enemies as often as I can get away with it. Definitely more than I do in the 2D games. There's a few enemies I enjoy going up against, but for the most part they just feel like distractions. It's not a big deal to me, though. I enjoy the games enough on their exploration / atmosphere alone.

ohlawd

alright, Prime 2 done

bah I feel like playing again but on Hypermode. don't feel like playing Prme 3 but I gotta ;_;

Ugh...I have this Biogenik brand nunchuk, which I take is EB/Gamestop's in house brand or something. The analog stick is super stiff and I swear 60% of its travel is dead zone. There's this missile expansion I'm trying to get in research lab aether that requires me to navigate a long narrow twisting platform in morph ball mode. The nunchuck's fine for general walking around, but for this it's like performing open heart surgery with one of those crane game claws, it's so hard.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ya but corruption let you fly to different planets which is beyond cool. Sure, each area was smaller, but the idea of planet hoping is supremely badass and should be explored more I future games.

I really liked going all over the place as I got new. Upgrades.
I didn't like this much. I'd rather have one "big" fleshed out planet than several "small" planets you get to see a lot less of. I mean, functionally, the elevators and ship travel are nearly the same, but the latter had a lot less of an impact on me.

This confirmed? Where did you hear this?
No. Nintendo just said they were still thinking about/planning for new 2D and 3D (Prime-style) games. No platforms were mentioned.

Vena

I didn't like this much. I'd rather have one "big" fleshed out planet than several "small" planets you get to see a lot less of. I mean, functionally, the elevators and ship travel are nearly the same, but the latter had a lot less of an impact on me.

I preferred the methods of Prime 3 because the world hopping really let you see so many different environments, lore lines, and simply highly varied aesthetics. I mean, going from the ruins of Bryyo's civilization to the Chozo-abandoned Sky Town where eventually you stumble upon the Metroid lab to the Valhalla and the eerie atmosphere it held.

Sure you could get most of that with one big world but I feel it'd be harder to really get so many varied lore lines without them feeling bizarrely contrived and crammed into a small space.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I preferred the methods of Prime 3 because the world hopping really let you see so many different environments, lore lines, and simply highly varied aesthetics. I mean, going from the ruins of Bryyo's civilization to the Chozo-abandoned Sky Town where eventually you stumble upon the Metroid lab to the Valhalla and the eerie atmosphere it held.

Sure you could get most of that with one big world but I feel it'd be harder to really get so many varied lore lines without them feeling bizarrely contrived and crammed into a small space.

See, I feel the opposite - I'd rather have that lore, species, and environments intertwined, if only loosely. To me that sort of thing goes a long way when it comes to world building.

For example, keep the ship, but have the different locations you visit clearly on different places around the planet. Each area having it's own lore and history like Prime 3, but you can see traces of connections between them and references to the same past event(s) from different perspectives.

Rean

So, I played about 2 hours of Metroid Prime today and I have to say, my younger self is an idiot for not playing this game all the way through and not appreciating it for what it is: A 3D Super Metroid.

I mean just the opening is absolutely mindbogglingly incredible, I am absolutely falling in love with this game whereas I hated it in my youth.
I completely agree with this. After replaying Super Metroid before starting Prime, the similarites are amazing and I'm enjoying it so much.

Azure J

I understood that. I'm saying MP1 risked so much in so many ways that they had to, admittedly, play it safer in the environments. And it still was a new thing back in 2002 being the first 3D Metroid ever and all!

My point still stands. Even if the environments were more original in MP2 that would be true only in the light world because in the (also clichéd as shit) dark world everything looked like crap and the same. I couldn't tell one level clearly from other if I was looking only to dark world screenshots! The "originality" card was spent on the light sections also because the other half is a horrible thing to look, hear and be in.

I know MP2 is a better game than the vast majority of games in the market today but for me it was a test of frustration and agony. I dreaded going to the dark world everytime that I had to do bad. It's a shame that the good graphics, music and art direction were spent only on half the game.

While I do understand that Echoes is a very divisive game and I can see why you'd come to this kind of conclusion on the game, I feel somehow obligated to talk about a lot of these things. (Note that I'm not particularly trying to convert you as much as give context for why a lot of people hold it in high esteem for the same reasons you dislike the game.) The environment for the dark world was supposed to inspire feelings of dread and claustrophobia. The dark world isn't a place you want to be in. Everything you are told in game whether directly or indirectly through logs and cut scenes during the early segment prepares you for the reality that, despite Aether's homecoming banner reading "Welcome to Aether, now get the fuck off our planet", you will have to traverse every nook and cranny of this planet and that included an area that would be toxic to simply exist in. For someone first playing the game, it's a real fight against your own nerves to enter Dark Aether properly, let alone persevere through it all. The thing about this is, it's probably one of the best realizations of a situation in gaming where you have to bite the bullet and come to grips with what is in front of you. Retro succeeded in creating a truly hostile and almost player hating environment. For someone like me, who went into the Metroid series with Echoes thinking it was equally about trekking through dense labyrinthine locales as it is traveling with a constant sense of "curated dread", Echoes was a masterpiece and its overall visual design does support my thoughts even now, 11 years after its release.

While I do agree that the overuse of dark purples and reds in Dark Aether's color palette was to the detriment of having potently and immediately iconic areas or visuals within that dimension (unless you're a nut like me), I feel as though the visual design of the architecture in the dark world was excellently executed for the mood and atmosphere they wanted to give the players. The contortion/degradation/defacing of things prominent in the Light Aether version of certain rooms, the constant use of segmented worm like bodies, squishy organic material, gigantic multi-schlera panels invoking eyes all about the world and parasitic creature husks for the Ing structures, and the warped skies giving way to massive dark lightning storms just created a vision of an Edritch high level abomination where you were thoroughly unsettled between the combination of stationary and moving sights. Aurally, the dark world's chopping and sampling of the light world's main themes with a deeper guttural bass imposed over them liberally preyed on your familiarity with the more tame Light Aether over world. The imposed thumps in these tracks emulated the familiarity of heart beats and acted as an aural reminder that there were un-quantifiable "things" going bump in the dark all about you. If that wasn't enough, the shrieks and cries of the dominant living race ringing about in the far distance of most areas of Dark Aether only served to intensify the feeling you have of wanting to come up for a breath of fresh air after being submerged in Dark Aether's murky density.

The biggest reason why I will defend Echoes to the death in its use of the dark world trope though is due to the immediate and dramatic feeling of player empowerment as you gain the power ups through the course of the game and start realizing you can take more risks, you can last much longer, you can hit things harder, and you can travel further faster. There is an exponential curve on how powerful and flexible Samus gets in this particular game and the Dark World acts as both a check on this power and a taunt to the player. "Do you think you can overcome your nerves and step out into this segment of the world as you are?" You see your armor melting off and amorphous crab-tick-flea things three times your size running about on fourth dimensional plains all about and the first reaction is "fuck no", but when you get that first taste of disintegrating these creatures with blasts of light/super missiles/other satisfying weaponry, or you realize that the life restoring safe zones are structured in a certain way/you can manage your health reserves better and you revise and optimize your runs through the dark world despite losing chunks of health which later become trivial loss which even later on becomes a zero net loss, or suddenly things which are visible to your eye but seemingly beyond your ability to interact with are now easily turned on their head or dispatched with molten death, the infinite cold of space, or annihilation, it just becomes a greater impetus to see just how far you can trudge through this hostility and master the elements. Trips from the Dark World become less necessary evils and genuine tests of how far you can push back the world that pushes down on you.

As a final note, the idea of a dark world isn't a bad thing despite its overuse in games, Nintendo or otherwise. It's all about the execution and for both the time period and the feeling it was meant to invoke (a suffocating tension that gradually gives way to a feeling of complete mastery of domain), Echoes is a master stroke example of the trope used correctly.

Peru

I disagree. Maybe it's my TV but Prime looks really meh to me. Textures are muddy, screen tearing is everywhere, game overall has a blurry, fuzzy feel. I know that it was made more to add motion controls, but I really wish Nintendo had sprung for a bit of a resolution upgrade.

You're talking about prime 3.

The beauty of Prime's graphics is that it doesn't rely on textures that age, retro's amazing attention to detail and work ethics gives us actual geometry instead of flat textures, cracks in the wall are really there, I still stop and admire the beautifully organic chozo ruins etc

Nice post, Azure J. I agree completely. I loved the Dark World, but then I'm always excited when a game uses this kind of mechanic. I always hope for real-time switching, like A Link to the Past, or Soul Reaver, but I realize that technical limitations tend to prevent that. My only real complaint about Prime 2's Dark World is that it's truncated vs. the "real" world; I thought it should be the same size. That's pretty minor.

And there's one thing about the mechanic of affecting one world from the other: it's a real slap in the face (or maybe just a facepalm moment) when the game shows something that you activated move, and then shows a faint image of it move also, and then blatantly tells you "something in the other world moved, too", as if you're a moron who didn't already know that's specifically what you were trying to accomplish (which it also made clear earlier).

That sort of thing is irksome, and should have been disabled along with the hint system.

zogged

Every time I try to play the game I keep getting disk read errors. Even after plugging in a brand new hard drive and redownloading everything the trilogy either crashes at the title screen or I get an error within the first minutes of loading any of the 3 games. Does anyone know of a possible fix?

Converse

Banned
Azure, that's very well put. What a write-up. Echoes is the Prime entry for which I have the foggiest memories, and your thoughts up there just went an immensely long way in getting me excited about jumping back into it for the first time in many a year. God damn, I love this series.

Had to resort to looking at a guide for the first time this playthrough of Echoes.
Missed the second Torvus key. The dark world portal underwater is super hard to see Even when I check the map, the second inaccessible portal right next to it throws me off hard.
Smooth sailing besides that.

Dizzy

Banned
I tried a little bit of MP1 last night. It looks a little rough with the resolution but its not too bad.

The controls feel a little fast, hopefully theres a sensitivity option but oh man being able to strafe and freely aim makes this game so much more fun than just locking on like in the gamecube version. Plus it doesn't look as daft now with Samus holding her arm straight forward at all times.

Alright so without spoiling anything...

I'm about an hour into prime 1. Is there a certain order I should be tackling things , or is it open enough that it doesn't really matter? Just did the boss in the ruins.

Im actually surprised how much I love the motion controls, the real bummer is the save room system. I wish the game had checkpoints/auto-saves...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alright so without spoiling anything...

I'm about an hour into prime 1. Is there a certain order I should be tackling things , or is it open enough that it doesn't really matter? Just did the boss in the ruins.

Im actually surprised how much I love the motion controls, the real bummer is the save room system. I wish the game had checkpoints/auto-saves...

It's actually pretty linear. For the most part there is only one place you can progress through. Other paths are going to have an obstacle that will require a new power up. So its a matter of exploring and figuring out which way to go.

While I do understand that Echoes is a very divisive game and I can see why you'd come to this kind of conclusion on the game, I feel somehow obligated to talk about a lot of these things. (Note that I'm not particularly trying to convert you as much as give context for why a lot of people hold it in high esteem for the same reasons you dislike the game.) The environment for the dark world was supposed to inspire feelings of dread and claustrophobia. The dark world isn't a place you want to be in. Everything you are told in game whether directly or indirectly through logs and cut scenes during the early segment prepares you for the reality that, despite Aether's homecoming banner reading "Welcome to Aether, now get the fuck off our planet", you will have to traverse every nook and cranny of this planet and that included an area that would be toxic to simply exist in. For someone first playing the game, it's a real fight against your own nerves to enter Dark Aether properly, let alone persevere through it all. The thing about this is, it's probably one of the best realizations of a situation in gaming where you have to bite the bullet and come to grips with what is in front of you. Retro succeeded in creating a truly hostile and almost player hating environment. For someone like me, who went into the Metroid series with Echoes thinking it was equally about trekking through dense labyrinthine locales as it is traveling with a constant sense of "curated dread", Echoes was a masterpiece and its overall visual design does support my thoughts even now, 11 years after its release.

While I do agree that the overuse of dark purples and reds in Dark Aether's color palette was to the detriment of having potently and immediately iconic areas or visuals within that dimension (unless you're a nut like me), I feel as though the visual design of the architecture in the dark world was excellently executed for the mood and atmosphere they wanted to give the players. The contortion/degradation/defacing of things prominent in the Light Aether version of certain rooms, the constant use of segmented worm like bodies, squishy organic material, gigantic multi-schlera panels invoking eyes all about the world and parasitic creature husks for the Ing structures, and the warped skies giving way to massive dark lightning storms just created a vision of an Edritch high level abomination where you were thoroughly unsettled between the combination of stationary and moving sights. Aurally, the dark world's chopping and sampling of the light world's main themes with a deeper guttural bass imposed over them liberally preyed on your familiarity with the more tame Light Aether over world. The imposed thumps in these tracks emulated the familiarity of heart beats and acted as an aural reminder that there were un-quantifiable "things" going bump in the dark all about you. If that wasn't enough, the shrieks and cries of the dominant living race ringing about in the far distance of most areas of Dark Aether only served to intensify the feeling you have of wanting to come up for a breath of fresh air after being submerged in Dark Aether's murky density.

The biggest reason why I will defend Echoes to the death in its use of the dark world trope though is due to the immediate and dramatic feeling of player empowerment as you gain the power ups through the course of the game and start realizing you can take more risks, you can last much longer, you can hit things harder, and you can travel further faster. There is an exponential curve on how powerful and flexible Samus gets in this particular game and the Dark World acts as both a check on this power and a taunt to the player. "Do you think you can overcome your nerves and step out into this segment of the world as you are?" You see your armor melting off and amorphous crab-tick-flea things three times your size running about on fourth dimensional plains all about and the first reaction is "fuck no", but when you get that first taste of disintegrating these creatures with blasts of light/super missiles/other satisfying weaponry, or you realize that the life restoring safe zones are structured in a certain way/you can manage your health reserves better and you revise and optimize your runs through the dark world despite losing chunks of health which later become trivial loss which even later on becomes a zero net loss, or suddenly things which are visible to your eye but seemingly beyond your ability to interact with are now easily turned on their head or dispatched with molten death, the infinite cold of space, or annihilation, it just becomes a greater impetus to see just how far you can trudge through this hostility and master the elements. Trips from the Dark World become less necessary evils and genuine tests of how far you can push back the world that pushes down on you.

As a final note, the idea of a dark world isn't a bad thing despite its overuse in games, Nintendo or otherwise. It's all about the execution and for both the time period and the feeling it was meant to invoke (a suffocating tension that gradually gives way to a feeling of complete mastery of domain), Echoes is a master stroke example of the trope used correctly.

This makes me so excited to get to MP2 after I finish up my first real playthrough of the first game. You make a very articulate and persuasive case for a game that sounds like something I'd like.

Robin64

Getting deep into the crashed frigate without the Gravity Suit then realising you need the Gravity Suit sucks. Getting back out is an utter pain.

Dezner

Getting deep into the crashed frigate without the Gravity Suit then realising you need the Gravity Suit sucks. Getting back out is an utter pain.

Haha, yeah. When I originally played the Trilogy disc, I did exactly that. :p Possibly even the last time I played on the Cube, too. Feels like at least twice for me.

About to try the 15-Green Token save method, wish me luck! :eek: I think I did the method correctly...(Haven't started the DL version yet)

Fuck, I just found out now that you can't get the green tokens anymore and I'm too far already in MP1 to start over with that save file in the OT.

Ocaso

Even Prime 1 had the aesthetic sense to visually differentiate the Impact Crater from the other Phazon-related environments we'd seen up to that point, so I'm not sure why they couldn't manage even some different colour schemes for Dark Aether - the similarities between each dark area absolutely hurt them. I don't really agree on the music, though - where they should have been dread-inducing industrial ambiance, the Dark Aether themes ended up as blander versions of the main themes for each location, conveying very little in terms of atmosphere. Though I guess the tiny amount of memory allocated for audio samples would have obstructed any attempt to go in that direction...

The need to conserve resources and memory seems the most likely culprit, I think. Having each dark area be a distinctive zone from each light area would have effectively doubled the necessary storage space on both disc and RAM. Let's not forget that being able to rapidly switch from a light to a dark room was a priority as well. It's unfortunate this resulted in Dark Aether being a single environment rather than several, but I suspect it was a necessary compromise.

TunaLover

Really?

Fuck, I just found out now that you can't get the green tokens anymore and I'm too far already in MP1 to start over with that save file in the OT.

Does the save file erase data from MP1 and 2 as well?
I hoped it was only MP3, since I'm also too far into 1 to start over :(

Surely Nintendo will patch in a solution to the problem soon... right?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There is no screen tearing in Metroid Prime 1.

It looks blurry and fuzzy on modern TVs, though, unfortunately. On a good 480p capable CRT, though, it's glorious.

There is no game with screen tearing on Gamecube, Wii or Wii U. Simply because developers are not allowed to turn vsync off.
That is not true. There are games with tearing on all of those consoles. I don't think Nintendo published games ever suffer from it, though.

Top Bottom