• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Rich!

That is not true. There are games with tearing on all of those consoles. I don't think Nintendo published games ever suffer from it, though.

I think Splinter Cell Chaos Theory has some tearing on the GC

Cannot think of a single Nintendo made game that has any though at all, ever. Seems to be one of their main goals for each of their titles.

It still looks pretty good on my GT60 plasma.

For those of you who don't have any black bars, you have a zoomed in picture and you're getting a worse image than you should.

Rich!

It still looks pretty good on my GT60 plasma.

For those of you who don't have any black bars, you have a zoomed in picture and you're getting a worse image than you should.

Yeah. Everyone needs to ensure that they have their TV set to no-overscan mode (just scan) and that their Wii U overscan settings are adjusted accordingly

Not just for this game, but its essential for literally everything now, otherwise you are losing a good portion of the image on your games.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've just realised at 50% through that I didn't scan the parasite queen 😖

99% will have to do

As long as you don't miss another scan and get 100% collectables, you should still get 100% on your clear percent. You won't get the credit for it though.

Even though Prime is my favorite game ever, I've never tried completing it at 100%. it's strange because I did it with Echoes and Corruption so now I've finally managed to find everything in hyper mode! Time to beat the last boss!

Grenchel

Started playing through Prime again last night. Wow. The level design, atmosohere , gameplay, music are all still feel top notch. Still o e if the vest games I have ever played.

Can't wait to try 2 & 3

I SHOULD buy this, but I'd be mad at myself if I did. I bought all three of the games separately, and have only played part of the first.

ohlawd

I SHOULD buy this, but I'd be mad at myself if I did. I bought all three of the games separately, and have only played part of the first.

I know you have 11 bucks lying somewhere

I've triple dipped on the Prime games. No ragrets on my chest. Shorter load times are a blessing.

Golnei

The need to conserve resources and memory seems the most likely culprit, I think. Having each dark area be a distinctive zone from each light area would have effectively doubled the necessary storage space on both disc and RAM. Let's not forget that being able to rapidly switch from a light to a dark room was a priority as well. It's unfortunate this resulted in Dark Aether being a single environment rather than several, but I suspect it was a necessary compromise.

Storage constraints and development deadlines would definitely have been a major concern, but would simply giving the first three areas more varied lighting / fog settings for their dark variants have been all that much more resource-intensive? It'd still use the same geometry, but the non-Ing Hive areas wouldn't be nearly so interchangeable. Seeing the dark world manifest in incrementally different ways between areas might have even enhanced the environmental storytelling, giving Aether's gradual corruption more of an arc rather than appearing as a static entity throughout the planet.

The biggest reason why I will defend Echoes to the death in its use of the dark world trope though is due to the immediate and dramatic feeling of player empowerment as you gain the power ups through the course of the game and start realizing you can take more risks, you can last much longer, you can hit things harder, and you can travel further faster. There is an exponential curve on how powerful and flexible Samus gets in this particular game and the Dark World acts as both a check on this power and a taunt to the player. "Do you think you can overcome your nerves and step out into this segment of the world as you are?" You see your armor melting off and amorphous crab-tick-flea things three times your size running about on fourth dimensional plains all about and the first reaction is "fuck no", but when you get that first taste of disintegrating these creatures with blasts of light/super missiles/other satisfying weaponry, or you realize that the life restoring safe zones are structured in a certain way/you can manage your health reserves better and you revise and optimize your runs through the dark world despite losing chunks of health which later become trivial loss which even later on becomes a zero net loss, or suddenly things which are visible to your eye but seemingly beyond your ability to interact with are now easily turned on their head or dispatched with molten death, the infinite cold of space, or annihilation, it just becomes a greater impetus to see just how far you can trudge through this hostility and master the elements. Trips from the Dark World become less necessary evils and genuine tests of how far you can push back the world that pushes down on you.

I agree that the mechanical implementation was pretty good, aside from some complaints with how the fetch questing was handled. No other game in the series executes the progression from powerless to unstoppable as well as Echoes; even in Fusion your pursuit by and eventual triumph over the SA-X is tempered by the restraints of Adam and the enforced powerlessness of the Omega Metroid battle. Prime 2 characterises the active hostility of Dark Aether incredibly well, which makes your endgame state feel more like a defiant victory against the planet itself rather than the culmination of a set of arbitrary power-ups.

Thank you, OP. I bought this game based off of that opening post!

I haven't checked the rest of the thread to see if anyone else asked but I'll ask anyway. Can you buy this game online in the UK without owning a Wii U (or not having access to it for the time being)? I see you can in America but I can't find anything to suggest you can over here.

lucius

Every time I try to play the game I keep getting disk read errors. Even after plugging in a brand new hard drive and redownloading everything the trilogy either crashes at the title screen or I get an error within the first minutes of loading any of the 3 games. Does anyone know of a possible fix?

Is it just this game?

If your not running it with a Y cable already, your probably either going to have to try another hard drive or a powered one (Nintendo has recommeded drives). I had problems with a couple hard drives on my WiiU even running a Y cable that worked perfectly fine running 360 games with a single USB cable. I finally found a different hard drive to work without problems with a Y cable. The errors I first got usually happened while downloading in background switching games or switching menus though.

TriBlade

I haven't checked the rest of the thread to see if anyone else asked but I'll ask anyway. Can you buy this game online in the UK without owning a Wii U (or not having access to it for the time being)? I see you can in America but I can't find anything to suggest you can over here.

Have you try going on the eShop website and buy a download code?

Joey Ravn

Banned

No, you can't.

Have you try going on the eShop website and buy a download code?

We don't have that option in Europe.

Rich!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think Splinter Cell Chaos Theory has some tearing on the GC

Cannot think of a single Nintendo made game that has any though at all, ever. Seems to be one of their main goals for each of their titles.
Depends on how we define Nintendo made.

For instance, Excite Truck and Bots both have lots of screen tearing but those weren't made by Nintendo in Japan.

Rich!

The best part of Prime 1 is when you return to Tallon Overworld via Magmoor just after (I think) getting the wave beam, and you hear Tallon Overworld theme 2 play for the first time

And you're shooting everything up like a badass, awww yeah

lucius

I forgot normal was changed to easy mode in the Wii version I think my save from Corruption is too far to start over on Veteran.

That is not true. There are games with tearing on all of those consoles. I don't think Nintendo published games ever suffer from it, though.

Correct. I can't say that no Nintendo game has tearing, but I can't think of any that do. The Prime games most certainly do not.

Is it possible to introduce tearing via your cabling or something? When I saw the post mentiob it, I was perplexed.

The best part of Prime 1 is when you return to Tallon Overworld via Magmoor just after (I think) getting the wave beam, and you hear Tallon Overworld theme 2 play for the first time

I heard Tallon Overworld Part 2 after I beat Flaahgra and was wandering around. I think that's the trigger, you just don't usually return until after Magmoor

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Started playing Prime 1 today. Looks pretty good on my TV I have to say, but it is only a 32" so stretched images has never really a problem for me.

rekameohs

Banned

I heard Tallon Overworld Part 2 after I beat Flaahgra and was wandering around. I think that's the trigger, you just don't usually return until after Magmoor
That music trigger switch happens when you get the Spider Ball.

If you sequence break and get to the Great Tree Hall area before getting Spider Ball it'll sound there too, but the Landing Site area only changes after Spider. You can easily tell this because it's still theme 1 when you get the Space Jump, but it'll change to theme 2 if you pass through it to get Ice Beam.

How do you fire Super Missiles again? I was looking at the computer while I got them and I missed the description.
Charge the Power Beam and then fire a missile.

...come to think of it, the Beam Combos are very much a spiritual successor to the special Bomb drops in Super Metroid, huh?

Madao

ah yeah thats probably it

and yeah, I always go straight to magmoor after flaahgra

the trigger is getting spider ball.

that's what changes Tallon's initial area's music.

also, there's a part of Tallon that always plays the second music even if you never get spider ball.

How do you fire Super Missiles again? I was looking at the computer while I got them and I missed the description.

Like they said, a charge beam + missile shot
You can read stuff like that again in the log. Very useful for re-reading, when you've forgotten how to blow up certain types of material for example.

Azure J

I agree that the mechanical implementation was pretty good, aside from some complaints with how the fetch questing was handled. No other game in the series executes the progression from powerless to unstoppable as well as Echoes; even in Fusion your pursuit by and eventual triumph over the SA-X is tempered by the restraints of Adam and the enforced powerlessness of the Omega Metroid battle. Prime 2 characterises the active hostility of Dark Aether incredibly well, which makes your endgame state feel more like a defiant victory against the planet itself rather than the culmination of a set of arbitrary power-ups.

I sometimes wish if the endgame fetch quest were either toned down or didn't exist. So many people gave up on Echoes once they finished Sanctuary despite the game having a really satisfying ending sequence of bosses. At the same time, I feel like once the dark visor is acquired, it's pretty possible to run into a good number of the dark temple keys by total accident. That's not a admission that the key hunt was well paced but it does seem like the key hunt could have been woven better into the overall game more organically from the start.

Also, the keybearer lore is some of the best stuff in the game.

so im getting this today but probably gonna beat Skyward Sword first
any guides or maps i should bookmark ahead of time so i dont get lost forever?

Madao

I sometimes wish if the endgame fetch quest were either toned down or didn't exist. So many people gave up on Echoes once they finished Sanctuary despite the game having a really satisfying ending sequence of bosses. At the same time, I feel like once the dark visor is acquired, it's pretty possible to run into a good number of the dark temple keys by total accident. That's not a admission that the key hunt was well paced but it does seem like the key hunt could have been woven better into the overall game more organically from the start.

Also, the keybearer lore is some of the best stuff in the game.

they did tone down the fetch quest for mp3. there's 9 energy cells but you only need 5 to get access to the final area and 4 of them are mandatory to advance while the 5th one is also on the way. you only really need all of them if you want 100%.

Grief.exe

Alright, got my Metroid Prime 2 copy up and running in Dolphin with 3x native resolution (1920x1584), AA, AF, and AR Culling codes. The latter forces GameCube games to render in 16:9, many games will render in 16:9, but cull objects outside of 4:3 to save on performance.

I'm just using this fork make sure to enable the AR codes in the individual game properties, then enable cheats in config menu. I might switch over to one of the newer dev builds with the AR codes to see if I get even better performance as there have been some massive leaps in development lately.

iba0OCPcM4aVVf.png

iWcBZdb02gIYX.png

Tehalemi

Alright, got my Metroid Prime 2 copy up and running in Dolphin with 3x native resolution (1920x1584), AA, AF, and AR Culling codes. The latter forces GameCube games to render in 16:9, many games will render in 16:9, but cull objects outside of 4:3 to save on performance.

I'm just using this fork make sure to enable the AR codes in the individual game properties, then enable cheats in config menu. I might switch over to one of the newer dev builds with the AR codes to see if I get even better performance as there have been some massive leaps in development lately.

Sweet Cheezuz! O__O

Kjellson

Charge the Power Beam and then fire a missile.

...come to think of it, the Beam Combos are very much a spiritual successor to the special Bomb drops in Super Metroid, huh?

While charging a power beam shot, press missile fire at the same time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Like they said, a charge beam + missile shot
You can read stuff like that again in the log. Very useful for re-reading, when you've forgotten how to blow up certain types of material for example.
Thanks!

I was a bit confused at first because it doesn't work with the wave beam.

When I beat Prime on the Gamecube I didn't bother doing all the scanning. Now that I'm trying to 100% the trilogy, though, I'm scanning everything. Only the logged scans count towards your percentage, right? I've been stressing myself out scanning every single thing and it's quite distracting.

Megasoum

Banned
I really don't mind the lower res graphics buy why the black bars? Isn't the game originally 16:9 anyway? Why not go fullscreen?

Top Bottom