• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Interesting undocumented trick in MP1 that I didn't see mentioned elsewhere: the spring ball mechanic from MP3 (shake the Wiimote to jump) now works here as well. It makes certain collectibles that require the double bomb jump much easier.

Never knew that, very interesting.
There's this one powerup (I think an energy tank) that requires 3 of those double bomb jump moves. If you fail, you fail into lava. It even got me to the game over screen, I failed so many times I that I actually depleted all my energy tanks

Do you guys use the default B to jump setup or switch it to A to jump? I switch it to A. I got really good at mashing the B button to fire fast back when MP3 first came out.

Christine

Not to mention the Annihilator Beam. Dark Aether is a cakewalk when you can
make safezones that lure enemies inside to their instant death

The animations for that are so good. They really look like they're
struggling against an irresistible compulsion or force. They scream, too.

There's this one powerup (I think an energy tank) that requires 3 of those double bomb jump moves. If you fail, you fail into lava. It even got me to the game over screen, I failed so many times I that I actually depleted all my energy tanks

That's right at the entrance to Phendrana. That puzzle seems to suck everybody in; there's a save point just 2-3 rooms away if you keep going but you always want to stop and try for the e tank.

kaskade

I bought the set even though my backlog is a little big right now. Too good of a deal to pass up. I'm trying to go through wind waker right now which I never beat on the GC.

entremet

I was looking through the Wii used game section at my local Gamestop and I saw 5 pristine MP Trilogy reprints. I was tempted to get one, but you can beat 10 bucks!

They were priced at 44.

Verger

Banned
I love when you reach the Glacier One Space Pirate Research Center in Phendrana. It feels really cool to infiltrate the facility and taking on the Pirates. And then if you're a scanner there is tons of Lore and backstory on all the monitors in the place from the experiments they've been conducting with the foreshadowing of Project Helix and Project Titan (and how "Titan" has had to be Quarantined due to its instability) to the fun details like the Planets in the Observatory and of course the Metroids.

And then you get the brand new visor and it really gets interesting ;)

Yeah, it's super simple now because there's no risk of destroying the unstable grounds with excess bombing.

I picked this up too. Haven't played Metroid Prime since the GC so its a little odd with the motion controls at times but never thing too bad. Just got upto the main boss of Chozo Ruins.

I love when you reach the Glacier One Space Pirate Research Center in Phendrana. It feels really cool to infiltrate the facility and taking on the Pirates. And then if you're a scanner there is tons of Lore and backstory on all the monitors in the place from the experiments they've been conducting with the foreshadowing of Project Helix and Project Titan (and how "Titan" has had to be Quarantined due to its instability) to the fun details like the Planets in the Observatory and of course the Metroids.

They're super easy to miss but there's also some additional pirate lore in the wall panels in various rooms around Phendrana. Some examples would be in save rooms, though they're also in some unexpected placed like the Artifact room next to
Phendrana's Edge
. I believe that one in particular talks more about Thardus.

Azure J

The animations for that are so good. They really look like they're
struggling against an irresistible compulsion or force. They scream, too.

Seriously one of the neatest little touches in the series right here.

The lore entries on the other planets in the observatory are so amazing for one-off things. I like that the universe has enough time to drop a hint in passing about planets with "sentient life exterminating viruses" and other such grand scale topology like it's no big deal. It makes me really wish if we got to go to far more planets through the series.

Kito

Whilst facing Hive Mecha, I fell into the water and died. Have to start from the beginning again. I don't think I can continue with MP1 due to the lack of save points. I can see myself dying many more times, and having to tediously retread through levels.

How are MP2, MP3 with save points?

Whilst facing Hive Mecha, I fell into the water and died. Have to start from the beginning again. I don't think I can continue with MP1 due to the lack of save points. I can see myself dying many more times, and having to tediously retread through levels.

There's a save point two or three rooms away from the Hive Mecha, you just need to be a bit more diligent about exploring your environment and looking for save points. The game is smart about placing Save Stations right before an area or fight where you'd most likely need them, and they're not really hidden or tucked away, but it's not going to explicitly tell you where they are unless you find a map station for that area.

A bit later on, you'll be able to download map data for all the areas, and then you can easily make out when a save room is approaching. I actually remember that save room you're talking about as one of the more obscure ones, since it's not the first door you check in that room (The one with a small mirror and a large tree in the corner).

Gravidee

You'll get better as you go along. Metroid Prime 3 is the only one with checkpoints.

Toxi

Banned
I just bought the trilogy and I've never played any of the games. Too early for impressions, but just had to say, "Fuck the Wii remote."

Worst input method of all time. Reminds me of Skyward Sword rage again... what if I want to lie down? :/.
You can lie down. I played the entire trilogy lying down on my bed.
You'll get better as you go along. Metroid Prime 3 is the only one with checkpoints.
Metroid Prime 2 actually has a checkpoint
after Emperor Ing.

What? There is a save point VERY close to the hive mecha.

Metroid Prime 2 actually has a checkpoint
after Emperor Ing.

Haha. Knowing how difficult the GC version of Echoes is, I bet they considered not putting that checkpoint there :p

Travo

I'm surprised that some are talking about lack of save points. I've always thorough check every part of a room before moving on. Btw, that room with the mirror was cool because I can't recall a game that showed reflections before.

Does anyone know what this is in Metroid Prime? It has bothered me since the game's release.

eLOgfjbl.jpg

I'm surprised that some are talking about lack of save points. I've always thorough check every part of a room before moving on. Btw, that room with the mirror was cool because I can't recall a game that showed reflections before.

Zelda: Twilight Princess also does this. There's a mirror in Link's house. It's just a random fun thing hidden away in a basement.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Prime looks really meh to me. Textures are muddy, screen tearing is everywhere, game overall has a blurry, fuzzy feel. I know that it was made more to add motion controls, but I really wish Nintendo had sprung for a bit of a resolution upgrade.

image.php

Maybe is my tv

Either that or you have your terms confused, there's no screen tearing on Gamecube (and Wii, for that matter) games, v-sync is always locked-on.
I think Nintendo left the same rule for WiiU games as well, which is why games like Splinter Cell or Sonic Racing 2 have no screen tearing on WiiU like there is on the PS360 versions. I think even adaptive v-sync isn't allowed.

Nosgotham

I just bought the trilogy and I've never played any of the games. Too early for impressions, but just had to say, "Fuck the Wii remote."

Worst input method of all time. Reminds me of Skyward Sword rage again... what if I want to lie down? :/.

Can I ask what problems you have with it? I have always found them to be extremely accurate and fast. And I can lay down and play as well very comfortably. infrared pointing on wii is typically much better for FPS games, depending on the implementation.
The only game I found to beat out the prime games is Red Steel 2. Amazing controls.

drotahorror

Any suggestions on where to get a wii mote and nunchuk for cheap? new preferably?

Weren't there some cheap games that came with the motion plus?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

This is actually one of my least favorite parts of the game. I find the space pirates really annoying to fight, and the whole environment just feels really claustrophobic, with little set pieces getting in the way during battles. And having to use the new visor (IR visor?) on the way out is annoying because it's kinda hard to see platforms well. It's definitely interesting from a story perspective, though!

The purple beam is so awesome.

One of my favorite parts of Metroid Prime and Prime 2 is the beam switching system.

I like it as well. Retro were smart to incorporate ammo, because the dark and light beams are pretty damn powerful. But even then, you barely have to worry about ammo anyway as long as you are keeping an eye out for the expansions.

The Darkburst
is my favorite weapon in the trilogy. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing a space pirate
get sucked into a black hole of oblivion

Just got the last Ing Hive key in Echoes. Sanctuary Fortress/Ing Hive is so complex, intricate, and deliberate that it makes me wonder if it's truly the apex of 3D level design in video games. It certainly hasn't been topped by any other game I've played. Like, are other games even fucking trying? It's 2015...

edit: Side note - I fucking love how the game
dumps you right next to a power bomb door when you get the spider ball. Like the game is saying "get the power bombs next!". And you know what? You ARE supposed to get the power bombs next. Masterful.

Things are heating up in prime 1! I wish I had cared more about scanning early on, I know there are a few things I've missed and Ive got over 80% completed on my scans. Also,
the chozo ghost are fucking terrifying. The combo of the music and sound effects makes hunting down the artifacts hard for me.

Mistle

Fixed my issue with the black bar along the bottom of the screen.

aren't there whole areas that are unplayable because of problems with a visor upgrade (or something)?

i was considering playing it on dolphin, as i had it up and running rather well, but couldn't be bothered facing problems with the game as it progressed to different areas. i get that it's all playable with constant setting adjustments but that's just not good enough.

edit: ok so i done some research myself and it seems many big problems from only a few months ago have been fixed. still think i'll just play it on wii u, though, for personal convenience.

Atrophis

Only played a couple of hours of MP1 but loving the old school, sprawling level design you can get lost in.

Roughly how long does it take to complete first time through?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't think it was possible, but I'm starting to think I might like 3D Metroid more than 2D. One of the things I've always loved about the Metroid series is its atmosphere, and being able to explore a fully realized three dimensional version of the Metroid universe is just fantastic for me. I prefer combat in the 2D games by quite a bit, but I think things can be done to improve the combat in the 3D games.

It feels so good to more fully appreciate the Prime games. I always regarded them as good, but now they're on a whole new level for me.

Also,
the chozo ghost are fucking terrifying. The combo of the music and sound effects makes hunting down the artifacts hard for me.

Now imagine the SA-X in a first-person Metroid.

---

Prime 1 is still fantastic. Every time I find something scan-able which has flavor text not at all integral to the gameplay, it makes me smile.

zsidane

Was so happy yesterday when I got back home and found that the game was finally completely downloaded. Started directly with Echoes since I never played the game (I also never finished MP3 so this deal was a steal for me!).

After playing about an hour, I really hope that Retro is working on a new Metroid game.
Please, Nintendo!

I didn't think it was possible, but I'm starting to think I might like 3D Metroid more than 2D. One of the things I've always loved about the Metroid series is its atmosphere, and being able to explore a fully realized three dimensional version of the Metroid universe is just fantastic for me. I prefer combat in the 2D games by quite a bit, but I think things can be done to improve the combat in the 3D games.

It feels so good to more fully appreciate the Prime games. I always regarded them as good, but now they're on a whole new level for me.

Do you know about the quick missile trick in Prime 1? Alternate "Missile" and "A (close cannon)" to fire them off back to back. Makes most enemies in the game a breeze.

Echoes' combat is a bit more interesting than the other two for my money, as all beams are not created equal (two in particular have significant strengths and weaknesses, are both acquired early on, and are governed by an ammo system that adds a bit more strategy).

Of course, hypermode in Corruption speeds things up quite a bit.

Prime's combat isn't flawless but it's more engaging than most other FPS to me because of the dodge mechanics. Strafe dodging away from a quick projectile or space jumping over an enemy shockwave never gets old to me. In most shooters, the player is limited to simple strafing and hiding behind cover with no triggered evasion abilities to speak of. I just really love that stuff
*prays that Halo 5's campaign design leverages the universal thruster and hover abilities*

digdug2k

I completely forgot how great these games are. Never finished 2 either, so I'm excited to give it a run (but not till after I finish 1 again).

I do keep wishing there were more save points. Then I usually find about 1-2 behind me that I missed because I randomly picked a door to exit a room through.

I completely forgot how great these games are. Never finished 2 either, so I'm excited to give it a run (but not till after I finish 1 again).

I do keep wishing there were more save points. Then I usually find about 1-2 behind me that I missed because I randomly picked a door to exit a room through.

The key is that save points are almost always immediately attached to another room with no transition hallway in between. So if you suspect one is nearby, try every door in the room before continuing.

LGom09

Just got the last Ing Hive key in Echoes. Sanctuary Fortress/Ing Hive is so complex, intricate, and deliberate that it makes me wonder if it's truly the apex of 3D level design in video games. It certainly hasn't been topped by any other game I've played. Like, are other games even fucking trying? It's 2015...

edit: Side note - I fucking love how the game
dumps you right next to a power bomb door when you get the spider ball. Like the game is saying "get the power bombs next!". And you know what? You ARE supposed to get the power bombs next. Masterful.

I'd put some Zelda dungeons up there in terms of level design. Dark Souls is impressive in how the world is connected, but it's not nearly as complex. Other than that, I can't think of anything that comes close.

Top Bottom