• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Robin64

Only ever beat Metroid Prime 2 once before when it came out, so when I started it last night I was so lost. I couldn't remember anything so it's basically a new Metroid Prime for me to play again. Can't wait to hit 3, I've never even beaten that once.

Impala26

So I just started Metroid Prime and I'm reminded why I never finished MP3. The game is obviously fantastic but I handle tension very poorly, and these are very dark lonely games. I can't play for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Better skip MP2 then :D

Don't.

Too true. Not sure of many other games that are quite as eerie/lonely as Metroid Prime 2.

Dat Dark Aether.

I beat Metroid Prime for the first time!

Wow, what a thoroughly enjoyable game. The manner in which the areas all intersect with each other and level design is absolute top notch. On reflection is surprisingly how much drive I had to play through the game despite no real 'story' or signposting of what to do next. That the game is from two generations ago and still holds up perfectly is a credit to Retro Studios.

However, slight criticism. The jumping and use of the grapple was at times frustrating due to a lack of precision. I suppose I haven't played many other first person perspective games with such a large amount of 'platforming', I did feel it could have been a bit better. Another minor complaint is that scanable objects could have been highlighted greater. I finished with 79% completion and would be hard pressed to go back and find what I missed.

All in all, how has there not been a Metroid Prime 4?

The completion% is based on finding all the pickups. It has nothing to do with scans.

I swear it somehow comes off even better looking than Prime 3.
Impeccable environment design led to rooms that really feel alive.

No way. Prime 3 looks the best by far. Sure, the Wii was barely more powerful than the GC, but the lighting, particle effects, animation, and art direction were all the strongest in the series.

Just finished MP2, the only MP I didn't play. So. Good. I am glad I played it with the Wii remote controls (but with the locking cursor option enabled), so much better than what I remember of playing MP with the GC's controller...

No way. Prime 3 looks the best by far. Sure, the Wii was barely more powerful than the GC, but the lighting, particle effects, animation, and art direction were all the strongest in the series.

I can not agree with that. The design lost a lot of the little details that really sold the look prime achieved. Still a great looking game, but I would never say it's better than the first two in that regard.

As for the character designs though, I've always really disliked them, especially the crew members aboard the ship at the beginning. What are they wearing? It looks so bad.

Dimmle

As for the character designs though, I've always really disliked them, especially the crew members aboard the ship at the beginning. What are they wearing? It looks so bad.

This might be my biggest problem with Prime 3, a game I regard as otherwise fantastic. The Federation crew and the bounty hunters-- what far-flung Marvel universe did they crawl out of?

I think Corruption looks the best.

Echoes is a technical step up from Prime, but it has so many dull areas like Agon and Temple Grounds. Torvus is okay. Sanctuary Fortress is the only environment that stands out.

Corruption is another technical leap from Echoes, and on top of that, every environment is interesting. Bryyo, Elysia, and the third world all look fantastic. And just look at how detailed the doors on Bryyo are.

Azure J

Corruption most definitely looks the best (edit: on a technical level) out of the three Prime games. That is something I will handily concede to. Retro achieved some damn near miraculous/heretical shit on the Wii.

And that´s exactly why it´s the best Prime game.

Preach.

Just finished MP2, the only MP I didn't play. So. Good. I am glad I played it with the Wii remote controls (but with the locking cursor option enabled), so much better than what I remember of playing MP with the GC's controller...

Am I the only one who played with free aim and lock on not locking to the opponent? Even in the two GCN games, it made the entire experience really cool. It also allowed me to potshot minor annoyances (hello Dark Shredders during the Chykka battle) without losing track of the big guy in the fight.

I can not agree with that. The design lost a lot of the little details that really sold the look prime achieved. Still a great looking game, but I would never say it's better than the first two in that regard.

Opinions are a thing of course, but this is incorrect. There is more graphical detail in Echoes than there was in Prime, and more detail in Corruption than Echoes. The human models in Corruption weren't good, I'll concede that. Retro's character art is generally above average, but not on the level of their environment art.

I think Corruption looks the best.

Echoes is a technical step up from Prime, but it has so many dull areas like Agon and Temple Grounds. Torvus is okay. Sanctuary Fortress is the only environment that stands out.

Corruption is another technical leap from Echoes, and on top of that, every environment is interesting. Bryyo, Elysia, and the third world all look fantastic. And just look at how detailed the doors on Bryyo are.

This. Though I did enjoy the look of Agon, the Temple Grounds is bland in everything except for it's music.

Opinions are a thing of course, but this is incorrect. There is more graphical detail in Echoes than there was in Prime, and more detail in Corruption than Echoes.

This. Though I did enjoy the look of Agon, the Temple Grounds is bland in everything except for it's music.

Of course they technically all surpassed each other in visuals. I just think they used what they had better in Prime. Detail was put in where it counted, and I didn't really see a lot of that in 3.

It really is just down to opinion with what I'm saying. Like I said, all 3 are spectacular, so I'm not trying to diss anyone.

Fucking Alpha Blogg. How am I supposed to damage it without getting hit? I don't remember ever having this much trouble before.

It's especially bullshit because I died and lost a good half hour of progress. Now I have to do the entire underwater section again because it blocks off the save room right after you open up the path to the Alpha Blogg.

Impala26

Fucking Alpha Blogg. How am I supposed to damage it without getting hit? I don't remember ever having this much trouble before.

It's especially bullshit because I died and lost a good half hour of progress. Now I have to do the entire underwater section again because it blocks off the save room right after you open up the path to the Alpha Blogg.

Wait, was he as annoying as the mini-boss you have to defeat on Dark Aether with only the Morph Ball+bombs? I can't even remember now.

This was the one area that scared the crap out of me back then ( I was like....12...). The most opressive area of them all.

Toxi

Banned
those numbers aren't acurrate. Nintendo did release updated figures recently.

icZjYVHBYZAgV.jpg

iqfOnArPOsxtE.jpg

ibr2xiqPHOgdnx.jpg

if you add them up, you'll see that DKCR alone is more than mp1+2+3. Trilogy probably sold too low to make a difference.

earlier games than mp3 could break several million. TP is the second best selling Zelda and the bulk came from the Wii version. being early is not a problem if the game kept selling over time but mp3 lacked that.
Why is Other M missing from that list?

Edit: oh, it's only counting games that broke a million.

Are there lists like that for DS and GBA?

Kito

So I just started Metroid Prime and I'm reminded why I never finished MP3. The game is obviously fantastic but I handle tension very poorly, and these are very dark lonely games. I can't play for more than 20 minutes at a time.

I've just gotten the PED Suit in MP3 so I can't speak for the whole game, but it seems a lot less lonely than MP1 given you frequently bump into other bounty hunters?

Verger

Banned
Why is Other M missing from that list?

Edit: oh, it's only counting games that broke a million.

Are there lists like that for DS and GBA?
I am pleased that Metroid Prime itself managed to do at least 2.8 million. Though that's still far less than it deserved, but it was #6 on the Gamecube's best sellers overall.

Echoes' sales is very disappointing, but at least it did crack 1 million

Corruption is also disappointing sales-wise though not as bad as Echoes. Still I wonder why it didn't perform as well considering the Wii userbase (I guess the Wii casuals just weren't interested?)

Other M definitely underperformed as by last count they said it only sold around 500K in NA and not that much better in Japan.

I just hope that Retro's next game does well because the poor sales of Tropical Freeze probably isn't a good sign, even though it's certainly not their fault as the game is superb.

samn

I've just gotten the PED Suit in MP3 so I can't speak for the whole game, but it seems a lot less lonely than MP1 given you frequently bump into other bounty hunters?

I wasn't really a big fan of MP3 anyway... I didn't like the hyper mode corruption system. Confusing and frustrating for me.

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member

I love them all pretty much the same since all three of the games offer something different from one another. As for Corruption, nah, it's not that frequent. You'll see...

Verger

Banned
I love them all pretty much the same since all three of the games offer something different from one another. As for Corruption, nah, it's not that frequent. You'll see...

From what I recall......

SPOILERS!!!

After the Intro sequence, you only bump into Rundas twice on Bryyo, the first time is very brief and the second is the battle.

Ghor is more prominent as he became a real dick and actively impedes your progress a few times until your battle.

Gandrayda you actually only run into once I believe (in some form or another

So yeah, they're not that often.

Rubixcuba

Banned
So after finishing Prime I began Echoes today.

What a complete change of pace! Cutscenes, vocal dialogue! Was very ssurprised, but found it was done a means that added to the change of atmosphere and mood. Felt a bit like Dead Space with the abandoned Federation soldiers and their downed spaceship. I played up til the 2nd area, enjoyed the increased difficulty and reduced hand holding.

What should I expect moving forward? The perception I have is that this is the worst of the trilogy, but everything I've seen so far feels like an improvement. That colour coded scanning!

What a complete change of pace! Cutscenes, vocal dialogue! Was very ssurprised, but found it was done a means that added to the change of atmosphere and mood. Felt a bit like Dead Space with the abandoned Federation soldiers and their downed spaceship. I played up til the 2nd area, enjoyed the increased difficulty and reduced hand holding.

What should I expect moving forward? The perception I have is that this is the worst of the trilogy, but everything I've seen so far feels like an improvement. That colour coded scanning!

if you play on veteran you should expect dying a lot. you will also get lost and it will probably frustrate you but do not give up. it will be worth it. believe me.
only noobs say its the worst prime.

also listen to the OP and avoid longer breaks between gaming sessions.
oh and avoid playing other (complex) games "in between" at all costs or otherwise you will be lost.
let Echos consume all of your time

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
It's taken me 3 tries and 13 years, but Prime has finally clicked for me. I'm loving it and I'm almost done. I love the feeling of isolation and actual fear of losing my progress because of sparse save points. This game's polish is next level (OoT level). Though I hate to say it, I still would prefer dual analog controls. Likely just because I'm so used to playing like that.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I don't remember Metroid Prime looking so good. It holds up incredibly well.

But I also don't remember the HUD being so cluttered.

I hated that bastard. The
dark beam
worked for me but I died twice before I beat him.

The
grapple guardian
is another nightmare. He just didn't take enough damage. Took AGES.

Dimmle

reading "Alpha Blogg" triggered a PTSD flashback

if you play on veteran you should expect dying a lot. you will also get lost and it will probably frustrate you but do not give up. it will be worth it. believe me.
only noobs say its the worst prime.

also listen to the OP and avoid longer breaks between gaming sessions.
oh and avoid playing other (complex) games "in between" at all costs or otherwise you will be lost.
let Echos consume all of your time

There is no "worst" Prime. They're all incredible.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is the furthest I've ever gotten into Echoes. I'm so excited. Finally made it to the
Sanctuary Fortress and got the spider ball! This is it! I am doing it!

Playing on Veteran, too.

Toxi

Banned
This is the furthest I've ever gotten into Echoes. I'm so excited. Finally made it to the

Playing on Veteran, too.
Hell yeah!
Retro massively improved the Spider Ball in Echoes. Both the quality of the puzzles and the awesome boosting off the rail. There are also Spider Ball rails everywhere, especially in Sanctuary Fortress.

Verger

Banned
There is no "worst" Prime. They're all incredible.
I was going to write about how it doesn't feel right to call any of them "The Worst" because they're all pretty much amazing games.

Echoes gets a lot of flak in certain circles due to its difficulty and having to navigate Dark Aether. I personally find those things quite appealing and feel that each of the Prime games has its own ways in which it does things just right.

Prime 1 gets the accolades for being the first and for pretty much translating something like Super Metroid into 3D. The interconnectivity of the world is spot on and they crammed in so many diverse environments.

Prime 2 I hail as a more refined experience which both ramps up the difficulty for those who played through the original, as well as creating even more complex level designs and "alien" locales. Aether to me felt like a more "alien" world than Tallon IV, whose environments were pretty boilerplate with Ice, Lava, Forest and Caves and so on. The Lore in Prime 2 is also better written with the plight of the Luminoth feeling more "grounded" than that of the Chozo.

Prime 3 is great due to refining the controls with the motion and pointer aspects as well as creating a ton of diverse environments for Samus to visit. And again they continue to refine the core systems like the Lore and adding in gameplay elements using the Pointer (I really loved the welding) to create more immersive experience. It also has the most amount of awesome Boss battles in the series
Hell yeah!
Retro massively improved the Spider Ball in Echoes. Both the quality of the puzzles and the awesome boosting off the rail. There are also Spider Ball rails everywhere, especially in Sanctuary Fortress.
Heh, didn't someone joke that it felt like Retro's designers must have gone to NASA or something to have come up with so many complex Spider Ball puzzles. They're really something else.

K' Dash

I'm finishing Echoes, I just need 3 more keys and will be going to the Sky Temple, I missed the fucking Dark Chikka the fucking Pillbug scans :(

Amazing game, the oppressing atmosphere of dark aether and how inhospitable it feels does wonders for this game, you feel lonely and terrified, it is INCREDIBLE, increased difficulty and less handholding are what Prime was missing, Echoes improved so much the formula, I love this game and Retro.

dLMN8R

My favorite part of getting this trilogy so cheap?

I never actually played Prime 3!

I'm such a massive fan of Super Metroid, Prime 1, and Prime 2, but for whatever reason never got around to getting Prime 3. Probably cause the steelbook collectors edition trilogy was so hard to find, I eventually just gave up.

I've read some sentiment that it's worse than others, and right above this post are claims that it's excellent in its own way.

I'm just excited to play a brand new (to me) full-blown Metroid game for the first time ever!

K' Dash

My favorite part of getting this trilogy so cheap?

I never actually played Prime 3!

I'm such a massive fan of Super Metroid, Prime 1, and Prime, but for whatever reason never got around to getting Prime 3. Probably cause the steelbook collectors edition trilogy was so far to find, I eventually just gave up.

I've read some sentiment that it's worse than others, and right above this post are claims that it's excellent in its own way.

I'm just excited to play a brand new (to me) full-blown Metroid game for the first time ever!

The controls are even better than Prime and Echoes, besides you get to explore different planets, it is an excellent game.

Azure J

Alpha Blogg is a near mid game scrub stomper. I didn't have much difficulty with it so much as I got a few bad runs of RNG and it just wouldn't let me get that last super missile down the hatch.

Playing on Veteran, too.

Isn't this feeling just the most satisfying thing about Echoes?

Hell yeah!

This game made me love the morph ball so fucking much I swear. I was so sad when it wasn't utilized as much in Prime 3. Also, Dark Suit morph ball with the Luminoth runes (to show you got the spider ball) is so fucking slick looking. Not as awesome as glowing marble spider balls + suit colors from Prime 1 but pretty up there nonetheless.

Madao

the people who say it is the worst in the trilogy are the worst.

the game is pretty good and stands toe-to-toe with mp1. mp3 is the weak link in the series but is still a good game overall.

Impala26

Man, I don't consider myself to be the best gamer ever, but you guys got owned by Alpha Blogg? :p

I just spammed him with super missiles and it was over lickety split!

Agreed. Not easy, but still a manageable boss...

Now the Boost Ball and Spider Ball Guardians?
Fuck those guys.

Toxi

Banned
I'm finishing Echoes, I just need 3 more keys and will be going to the Sky Temple, I missed the fucking Dark Chikka the fucking Pillbug scans :(
The Pillbug is actually scannable in the Dynamo Works room; they appear after you beat Spider Guardian. It was a lifesaver for me.

No such luck on Dark Chyyka though.

Heh, didn't someone joke that it felt like Retro's designers must have gone to NASA or something to have come up with so many complex Spider Ball puzzles. They're really something else.

That was more for the complexity of late game portaling, though the morph ball sections are also fantastic.

Top Bottom