• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Verger

Banned
Q: How big is the MP2 development team?

Kensuke Tanabe: About the same as last -- 40 people.

Incredible...
Wow, didn't know that tidbit. That's pretty telling that they could make a game look so good with such a small development team, especially in comparison to today's AAA/HD dev teams who number in the hundreds or so.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if HD graphics and their high costs (and team sizes) have been a detriment to gaming overall.

I'm about a third of the way first experience with Prime 2 right now. It probably won't be as good as Prime 1 or Super Metroid, which are the pinnacles of the series, but it is more of the same and I don't think that is a bad thing.

The great thing about Echoes is that it keeps getting better the deeper you get into it. I guess that can be said with all three though.

Wow, didn't know that tidbit. That's pretty telling that they could make a game look so good with such a small development team, especially in comparison to today's AAA/HD dev teams who number in the hundreds or so.

Sometimes it makes me wonder if HD graphics and their high costs (and team sizes) have been a detriment to gaming overall.

In two years no less, with some of the most sophisticated 3D level design ever.

I'd be ok with newer games looking as detailed and fluid as Echoes running at 1080p, especially if it freed up resources for developers to concentrate more on great design. Unfortunately, most people probably wouldn't.

Marvie_3

Banned
Just finished Prime 1 a little bit ago. I beat it when it came out but I haven't played more than an hour or so of the game since then. I had forgotten just how damn amazing Prime 1 is. It's pretty remarkable how well the game has held up considering it's over 12 years old, although the Wii controls definitely give it a much different feel.

Soundtrack is still one of the best in any game ever too.

Oh, absolutely it has. Nintendo is actually incredibly efficient. They keep their development teams pretty small compared to the rest of the industry but are among the top publishers in terms of both quality and quantity. For example, compare them to Ubisoft. According to Wikipedia, Ubisoft Montreal is 3x the size of all of Nintendo EAD, but Nintendo releases more games, better games, and most importantly, games that aren't broken.

Haines

Banned
Just finished Prime 1 a little bit ago. I beat it when it came out but I haven't played more than an hour or so of the game since then. I had forgotten just how damn amazing Prime 1 is. It's pretty remarkable how well the game has held up considering it's over 12 years old, although the Wii controls definitely give it a much different feel.

I'm using the settings the thread reccomends and the controls feel perfect in 1. It almost feels a Lil too good at times but I have to agree. It's why I can't stand watching people blow 70 bucks on the latest thing when classics like this exist for cheaper.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
True - I tend to approach things from a scientific/quantitative point of view (not a developer, just in general). I'm digging into this subject a bit because while I feel that the bolded statement is probably acceptable for most games, Retro's level design is so impressive to me that I almost have to think there's some deeper method involved. But from what you're saying, it's pure artistry on the part of the designers, so I guess all I can really say at this point is "damn, you guys and gals are talented".

Thanks for the responses.
In my opinion, the difference is the knowledge of what does and doesn't work (you might say talent, which they have in spades) combined with the amount of time spent in iteration and the willingness to redo/throwaway large amounts of work. This gets harder as time goes on due to the time required to build the art content. As mentioned earlier in this thread MP2 had about fifty people, doing the same game (in terms of design) now would probably require three times that due to art/animation requirements.

ChaosXVI

But even during that generation, I can't imagine the density of Retro's workload for Prime 2. Turning around a game with those visuals, with that complexity, with that insane attention to detail in only 2 years with 40 people.

It's completely nuts is what that is, and while Retro gets a lot of love (almost cultlike) on GAF, I feel like they don't get nearly enough praise from gaming media...but at any rate...

I'm curious to see which game comes out on top for those who have never played any in the Trilogy before...Prime 2 gets better and better every time I play, but back in 2004 I thought Prime 1 was easily superior.

Verger

Banned
But even during that generation, I can't imagine the density of Retro's workload for Prime 2. Turning around a game with those visuals, with that complexity, with that insane attention to detail in only 2 years with 40 people.

It's completely nuts is what that is, and while Retro gets a lot of love (almost cultlike) on GAF, I feel like they don't get nearly enough praise from gaming media...but at any rate...

I'm curious to see which game comes out on top for those who have never played any in the Trilogy before...Prime 2 gets better and better every time I play, but back in 2004 I thought Prime 1 was easily superior.
It really is a milestone accomplishment. I think what helped is that they approached Metroid Prime 2 without having to "change up" the formula or add things around. They had a game engine that worked damn well and they could build on top of that. They pretty much looked at it as I suppose one could look at as an "Expansion" of a PC game as they used to be, though were able to jam a huge amount of content into it and make a full game out of it, and just adding all kinds of crazy ideas and designs that they could do since they thought of the game as something that mainly people who finished Prime 1 would play.

Speaking of which. Prime 1 is beaten. Clocked in at exactly 14:01 hours with 100% Items and 100% Lore. Ready for Prime 2!

I actually was pleased to see in the credits that they put a Dedication at the top to Mark Haigh-Hutchensen. He was the prodigy engineer who developed the groundbreaking camera systems of the morph-ball and switching between that and First-Person view so seamlessly. Sadly he passed away either after Prime 2 or 3 I forget, but it was such a shame.
First time Prime player. My goodness, what a difficulty spike during the Phazon Mines!
The Phazon Mines is probably the most "Action-packed" section of the game as the place is pretty much the Space Pirate HQ on the planet, and thus it has all the toughest enemies in the game. If you have trouble with the invisible Security Drone miniboss, go find the Wavebuster ;)

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I actually was pleased to see in the credits that they put a Dedication at the top to Mark Haigh-Hutchensen. He was the prodigy engineer who developed the groundbreaking camera systems of the morph-ball and switching between that and First-Person view so seamlessly. Sadly he passed away either after Prime 2 or 3 I forget, but it was such a shame.
After Prime 3 during the development of Trilogy. He was the best. :(

Rubixcuba

Banned
The Phazon Mines is probably the most "Action-packed" section of the game as the place is pretty much the Space Pirate HQ on the planet, and thus it has all the toughest enemies in the game. If you have trouble with the invisible Security Drone miniboss, go find the Wavebuster ;)

Beat the miniboss with under 100 health. Ended on 17, then had to do the electrified morph ball maze! Making it to the save point was very rewarding.

RedToad64

I played the original Metroid Prime on GameCube last year and was impressed with the transition of the franchise from 2D to 3D gameplay, despite the wonky controls.
I was excited to play Prime 2 with the release of this Trilogy... but the Dark World. The light/dark beams. The environments don't seem so varied compared to the first title. I'm halfway through the game and I just am not feelin' it so far.

Toxi

Banned
I played the original Metroid Prime on GameCube last year and was impressed with the transition of the franchise from 2D to 3D gameplay, despite the wonky controls.
I was excited to play Prime 2 with the release of this Trilogy... but the Dark World. The light/dark beams. The environments don't seem so varied compared to the first title. I'm halfway through the game and I just am not feelin' it so far.
If you're halfway through, at least try to reach Sanctuary Fortress. It's the greatest level in Metroid history and really redeems the game for me.

Most challenging games get better for me over time. But for Echoes, I was just a lot younger and less patient around that time. I enjoyed it then but didn't appreciate the intricacies as much. It's grown on me a ton.

Damn, RIP. Everyone who worked on the Morph Ball did an amazing job. I'm sure it could have been screwed up in a ton of ways, but everything we got - the physics, controls, camera, and transitions - turned out incredible. I'm sure it was seen as a gamble during Prime 1; I'm glad Retro perfectly executed it and even doubled down on the mechanic for Echoes and Corruption.

Edit - the G4 interview with Mark Pacini really highlights how much thought went into the Morph Ball mechanics, with Samus behaving like a marble at low speeds (wide turning control) and a tire at high speeds (narrow turning control).

Verger

Banned
That really sucks. To lose such a valued and beloved co-worker is always a terrible thing. :(
Damn, RIP. Everyone who worked on the Morph Ball did an amazing job. I'm sure it could have been screwed up in a ton of ways, but everything we got - the physics, controls, camera, and transitions - turned out incredible. I'm sure it was seen as a gamble during Prime 1; I'm glad Retro perfectly executed it and even doubled down on the mechanic for Echoes and Corruption.
Seriously. I mean, look how freaking buggy camera systems are these days in "modern games" with even simple third-person cameras and not even mentioning transitioning between perspectives like is done so in Prime. Because yeah, it could (heck, maybe "should") have had loads of buggy issues with clipping and such. But the Camera is always on point and you're never really disoriented when going from First-Person to Ball and vice-versa. Truly a great accomplishment.

Beat the miniboss with under 100 health. Ended on 17, then had to do the electrified morph ball maze! Making it to the save point was very rewarding.
That sounds awfully like my first time playing through the mines. I no doubt died on that guy once or twice and then got the got through the Dynamo maze by the skin of my teeth. Good times :)

Also, I love how Prime 2 begins, because it's "simple" just like Prime 1 was. A short cutscene about where you're going and then bam, you're stuck again on a deserted and even more alien planet that's got weird atmosphere.

I think maybe that is probably why Prime 3's intro isn't that well liked by many, because instead of those "simple" openings which put you right in isolation on exploring the Pirate Frigate Orpheon and then Tallon IV or crash landing on Aether, you've now got a long intro of exploring a crowded Federation ship and then protecting the Federation Naval Base, both populated areas along with "comrade" hunters. It's only when you get to Bryyo and especially Elysia afterwards are you placed back in "isolation" like typical Metroid.

But hey, I liked Prime 3's change-of-pace opening as well.

RedToad64

If you're halfway through, at least try to reach Sanctuary Fortress. It's the greatest level in Metroid history and really redeems the game for me.
I intend on playing through the entire game so I'll eventually experience it. Greatest level in Metroid history? Well, that's quite a large claim.

What region are you in?
North America.

Did you make sure to download the proper save file for your region? Try starting the game so it creates an actual legit save once that you can just replace with the one you downloaded.
I got the .bin file from the gamefaqs page renamed it like it said. Had the sd card on my laptop deleted everything I had on it, created a folder named private, inside that one created one named wii, inside that one one named title, inside that one one named r3me and inside that one I have the data.Bin file. I put the sd card on the wii u and I went to data transfer and only my external hdd appears but not the sd card. Am I doing something wrong? I haven't tried starting the game yet though I might if nothing else works.

Verger

Banned
Man it has been a while since I played Echoes, or I hadn't played it as numerous and often as I did Prime 1. I completely forgot about how the introduction went. I think in some ways it is better than Prime 1, even though the theme is similar:

Now instead of the Pirates, you are left picking up the pieces of the Galactic Federation Squad. Only this time you've also got their personal logs to read through which you didn't have on Orpheon. Really great job with Lore where you piece together the fate of the Squad and how their situation went hopeless so fast.

They were really in dire straits where you had the Ops team who were trying to build a base in a Splinter Hive and really bit off much more than they could chew despite using pesticides to try to kill them. And while they were being overrun and forced to fight hand-to-hand after ammo ran out, the Command team back at the ship was ambushed by Ing-possessed Splinters. By reading both teams' logs you can feel the desperation knowing they were certain to die without backup since communications were being blocked, it ends with that last Trooper who you find trying to reach the Temple who obviously didn't make it.

Great intro indeed.

Man it has been a while since I played Echoes, or I hadn't played it as numerous and often as I did Prime 1. I completely forgot about how the introduction went. I think in some ways it is better than Prime 1, even though the theme is similar:

Now instead of the Pirates, you are left picking up the pieces of the Galactic Federation Squad. Only this time you've also got their personal logs to read through which you didn't have on Orpheon. Really great job with Lore where you piece together the fate of the Squad and how their situation went hopeless so fast.

They were really in dire straits where you had the Ops team who were trying to build a base in a Splinter Hive and really bit off much more than they could chew despite using pesticides to try to kill them. And while they were being overrun and forced to fight hand-to-hand after ammo ran out, the Command team back at the ship was ambushed by Ing-possessed Splinters. By reading both teams' logs you can feel the desperation knowing they were certain to die without backup since communications were being blocked, it ends with that last Trooper who you find trying to reach the Temple who obviously didn't make it.

Great intro indeed.

I also love how it takes place in the main world, and not an isolated one-off location.

Christine

I got the .bin file from the gamefaqs page renamed it like it said. Had the sd card on my laptop deleted everything I had on it, created a folder named private, inside that one created one named wii, inside that one one named title, inside that one one named r3me and inside that one I have the data.Bin file. I put the sd card on the wii u and I went to data transfer and only my external hdd appears but not the sd card. Am I doing something wrong? I haven't tried starting the game yet though I might if nothing else works.

Go into Wii mode and into the save / data management app there, not on the Wii U. Once you've copied the save to the internal storage, back out into Wii U mode and start the Trilogy.

Seriously. I mean, look how freaking buggy camera systems are these days in "modern games" with even simple third-person cameras and not even mentioning transitioning between perspectives like is done so in Prime. Because yeah, it could (heck, maybe "should") have had loads of buggy issues with clipping and such. But the Camera is always on point and you're never really disoriented when going from First-Person to Ball and vice-versa. Truly a great accomplishment.

It can't be overstated how damn good this is. Go find a room with pillars or obstructions and try to hide the ball from the camera. The camera switch from first to 3rd person has a couple different arcs it can use based on context, including a quick change that puts you in 1st person instantly.

It's really, really impressive.

40 people made 2 of the finest videogames ever made in 2-3 years. Masterpieces from top to bottom that will be replayable and fun in 20 years.

...while Ubisoft throws 1000 employees at the next derivative crap AAA game.

The "employees : endresult" ratio is almost laughable if you think about it.

I have a problem with the audio.

In WiiU mode (via hdmi cable) there aren't problems. The audio is here.

When I go in Wii mode, no audio comes from the tv. The same thing occurs with metroid prime trilogy so this problem is related to the Wii Mode.

If I disconnect and reconnect the hdmi cable in Wii Mode the audio come back.

Tell me how am I suppose to resolve this problem. :D

Go into Wii mode and into the save / data management app there, not on the Wii U. Once you've copied the save to the internal storage, back out into Wii U mode and start the Trilogy.

Thanks for the help man. That's one thing I was doing wrong. However, I tried to do what you said and it says "the device inserted in the sd card slot cannot be used". What am I doing wrong now?

TheMoon

Thanks for the help man. That's one thing I was doing wrong. However, I tried to do what you said and it says "the device inserted in the sd card slot cannot be used". What am I doing wrong now?

Did you format the SD card before using it? What kind of SD card is it? (micro, regular, capacity)

also, make sure the capitalization on the folder names is right. RM3E, not rm3e, etc.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
It can't be overstated how damn good this is. Go find a room with pillars or obstructions and try to hide the ball from the camera. The camera switch from first to 3rd person has a couple different arcs it can use based on context, including a quick change that puts you in 1st person instantly.
His camera system was and probably is so far ahead of its time. The amount of thought and time he put into it was staggering, working late hours even during MP3 to fix camera behaviour in the craziest situations. It would be very difficult for anyone to redo that camera system. His book on game cameras certainly would not be enough to cover the nine years of fixes and black magic.

Admodieus

I'm playing through each game until I get to the fetch quest near the end, at which point I move onto the next one. Just started Prime 3 now.

I liked Prime 2 a lot more than I remember - maybe it's just because I'm older but Dark Aether made a lot more sense to me this time around. It still can be a pain to navigate due to its disjointedness. And my number one complaint about Prime 2 still remains - Beam ammo. It makes me not want to use the dark and light beams at all unless absolutely necessary, which means I spend 90% of the game fighting enemies with the regular power beam.

And my number one complaint about Prime 2 still remains - Beam ammo. It makes me not want to use the dark and light beams at all unless absolutely necessary, which means I spend 90% of the game fighting enemies with the regular power beam.

Enemies go much faster once you get over this hump. I barely ever use the power beam. Beam ammo is rarely an issue except during certain bosses. Just remember to restock at crates occasionally. Destroy them with the dark beam to get light ammo and vice versa.

Admodieus

Enemies go much faster once you get over this hump. I barely ever use the power beam. Beam ammo is rarely an issue except during certain bosses. Just remember to restock at crates occasionally. Destroy them with the dark beam to get light ammo and vice versa.

I realize that it's mostly a mental obstacle to get over, but I still hated the limitation. If it's always so plentiful, why have ammo at all? Let me experiment.

Admodieus

Is it better to play it that way than with Gamecube controls?

I think it's better but only after you go into Options and change "Lock on - Free Aim" to off. That way you can lock onto stuff and always be targeting them, no matter where the Wii Remote may be pointing

Grief.exe

Didn't know about the crates strategy, I'll have to try that.

I'm playing through each game until I get to the fetch quest near the end, at which point I move onto the next one. Just started Prime 3 now.

I liked Prime 2 a lot more than I remember - maybe it's just because I'm older but Dark Aether made a lot more sense to me this time around. It still can be a pain to navigate due to its disjointedness. And my number one complaint about Prime 2 still remains - Beam ammo. It makes me not want to use the dark and light beams at all unless absolutely necessary, which means I spend 90% of the game fighting enemies with the regular power beam.

That seems to be a common conclusion in this thread.

You are missing out on some fantastic final boss fights! Corruption's fetch quest isn't nearly as bad as the first two because one, most of the things you need can be picked up along the way while you play and two, you don't need to get all of them to proceed to the end of the game.

Admodieus

You are missing out on some fantastic final boss fights! Corruption's fetch quest isn't nearly as bad as the first two because one, most of the things you need can be picked up along the way while you play and two, you don't need to get all of them to proceed to the end of the game.

I've played all three games before, so I know what bosses lie at the end (Ridley is a favorite in MP1). I just don't care enough to spend time doing fetch quests when I can be continuing through the trilogy.

It would be a different story if unlockables carried over from one game to the other (like being able to use the Fusion suit in MP3 if you beat MP1).

I've played all three games before, so I know what bosses lie at the end (Ridley is a favorite in MP1). I just don't care enough to spend time doing fetch quests when I can be continuing through the trilogy.

It would be a different story if unlockables carried over from one game to the other (like being able to use the Fusion suit in MP3 if you beat MP1).

Gotcha. Understandable. I thought the fetch quest was handled EXTREMELY well in Corruption. Echoes is by far the worst. But I guess they needed to give you something to do after you got the Light Suit.

Christine

Didn't know about the crates strategy, I'll have to try that.

There are bunches of containers almost everywhere. Also, if you run out of ammo you can still fire a normal blast by doing a charge shot. Read the scan logs for hints on enemy weaknesses, try all types of beams and don't forget your missiles. A common complaint is that the enemies are bullet sinks but there's almost always a way to quickly kill things. Abusing your power to snuff and supercharge the crystals and beacons often works. Hunt down those beam combos, ammo is cheap!

One more thing, the ammo drops get bigger and more plentiful as your supply gets lower, so really don't waste any time on trying to keep both reserves full.

Admodieus

Gotcha. Understandable. I thought the fetch quest was handled EXTREMELY well in Corruption. Echoes is by far the worst. But I guess they needed to give you something to do after you got the Light Suit.

Yeah, Corruption is a breath of fresh air so far (started it right after I got the Light Suit in MP2). I remember loving the grapple lasso mechanics, and I'm actually looking forward to beam stacking, as switching beams and visors is one of the things I liked better in the Gamecube games than the Trilogy.

Chris FOM

Less. The initial MP2 wasn't working and eventually was scrapped and essentially started over from nothing. Echoes was made in well under a year.

Chris FOM

What was the original MP2?

No clue. But some interviews around the release of Echoes said the game was made in about 6 months. I do have a good friend at Retro who confirmed that much but said nothing about what the earlier game was (they take their NDAs incredibly seriously, we've been friends for almost five years and they still won't reveal any secrets; to be fair out of respect I don't ask either). They did say that the MP 1.5 never made it past the leaked document. It was felt to be too much work for an expansion when they could make a full sequel. Given what they accomplished in 6 months it's hard to argue.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

I feel ya. I didn't bother with the fetch quest and final bosses in Prime. I'm gonna go through it in Echoes, though, because I've never played it before.

I've played the first game three times. It just gets better each time. You tend to notice all these little tidbits that you didn't the previous time. Agreed on the soundtrack, too. Damn.

First time Prime player. My goodness, what a difficulty spike during the Phazon Mines!
Enjoy, my friend.

Verger

Banned
His camera system was and probably is so far ahead of its time. The amount of thought and time he put into it was staggering, working late hours even during MP3 to fix camera behaviour in the craziest situations. It would be very difficult for anyone to redo that camera system. His book on game cameras certainly would not be enough to cover the nine years of fixes and black magic.
That's some amazing insight. I would hope that all his hard work is somehow still being utilized at Retro given he created some groundbreaking engineering. It really shows how dedicated people at the team were in delivering only the most polished experience for users they could. I mean, like this guy says:
It can't be overstated how damn good this (the camera) is. Go find a room with pillars or obstructions and try to hide the ball from the camera. The camera switch from first to 3rd person has a couple different arcs it can use based on context, including a quick change that puts you in 1st person instantly.
I definitely have tried to "break" the camera just because I couldn't believe how good it was. And if I did, well, I didn't notice it at all. It's just truly amazing how seamless it is.
No clue. But some interviews around the release of Echoes said the game was made in about 6 months. I do have a good friend at Retro who confirmed that much but said nothing about what the earlier game was (they take their NDAs incredibly seriously, we've been friends for almost five years and they still won't reveal any secrets; to be fair out of respect I don't ask either). They did say that the MP 1.5 never made it past the leaked document. It was felt to be too much work for an expansion when they could make a full sequel. Given what they accomplished in 6 months it's hard to argue.
That is very interesting. I wonder if Lathentar could elaborate on that in general terms without getting into detail? That'd make it even more of an accomplishment that they actually only were in full production for only 6 months for this game.

Admittedly, they were focused mainly on refining the experience from Prime 1 while adding new design complexities and layouts. The scanning element is much more intuitive and fleshed out this time around and the Logbook is more detailed with the Lore as well, for instance.

dLMN8R

So what AV Receiver settings should I be using for this?

I remember the Metroid Prime games use Pro Logic, which is basically faked/virtualized surround sound. Yet when I set my receiver to Pro Logic, I didn't hear any surround at all.

Anything I'm missing?

Christine

So what AV Receiver settings should I be using for this?

I remember the Metroid Prime games use Pro Logic, which is basically faked/virtualized surround sound. Yet when I set my receiver to Pro Logic, I didn't hear any surround at all.

Anything I'm missing?

I think it should just work. A Wii U update was required for this feature, is there any chance you didn't do it yet?

Dimmle

Exactly what happened to me, except I ended the cloaked droid fight with 7. D: I think I developed an ulcer.

Top Bottom