• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy WiiU |OT| - Samus it Ever Was. Now with Ridleyculous low price!

Guys, sorry if this has been asked by now, but I already own the Wii Trilogy as well as Metroid Prime 1 & 2 for the GameCube. I'm not against triple dipping (and certainly not with such a Ridleyculous low price!) but I'm wondering if it makes sense to do so. I get that it's the exact same games as before, but this is confusing me:
Wii games look a bit better coming from the Wii U over HDMI than they do coming from the Wii over component. The Wii U also outputs a 1080p image, which is nice especially if your TV's scaler is bad. Of course, you're still getting an image that was originally 480p so it'll be a bit fuzzy.
Does that mean that these digital games would look better than the Wii physical version, both running on the Wii U? Or that the games look better on the Wii U vs what they looked like on the Wii even though they're the same code? I think it's the latter, but I want to make sure.

Kinsei

Banned
I've got a dirt cheap wii mote and nunchuk, from the little i understand of this series they're not typical fps's that require pinpoint accuracy or quick reflexes or all that much shooting, they're more like puzzle games right? Quite slow paced?

Will my pound shop equipment be ok for this? I don't think i'd want to rely on them if i needed precise shooting or movement.

Some bosses and enemies have weakpoints but they're pretty big and you have a lock-on. You should be fine.

I've got a dirt cheap wii mote and nunchuk, from the little i understand of this series they're not typical fps's that require pinpoint accuracy or quick reflexes or all that much shooting, they're more like puzzle games right? Quite slow paced?

Will my pound shop equipment be ok for this? I don't think i'd want to rely on them if i needed precise shooting or movement.

uhh
you might want to check out some gameplay videos
A lot of fights are fast as a hell and need precise controlling

Does that mean that these digital games would look better than the Wii physical version, both running on the Wii U? Or that the games look better on the Wii U vs what they looked like on the Wii even though they're the same code? I think it's the latter, but I want to make sure.

Latter. It's exactly the same as running the disc version on a Wii U, but better than on a Wii.

Guys, sorry if this has been asked by now, but I already own the Wii Trilogy as well as Metroid Prime 1 & 2 for the GameCube. I'm not against triple dipping (and certainly not with such a Ridleyculous low price!) but I'm wondering if it makes sense to do so. I get that it's the exact same games as before, but this is confusing me:

the latter
they look better running on WiiU

edit:
The disc copy works on Wii U, right?

sure, why shouldn't it?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Maybe stupid question but what is the audio output? If I am outputting pcm over hdmi will there only be two channels?

FyreWulff

Have the physical copy, but for $10 it's very tempting to double dip. Only thing is I'd probably be buying it "just to have" as opposed to I want to replay this right now.

If I knew these digital games would transfer right over to Nintendo's next system I'd jump on it.

Nintendo is currently the only company that has let you take digital releases forward from both jumps they have had.

Joey Ravn

Banned

No, these are Wii games. Digital or physical, they are the same game. The difference in image quality comes from the console itself, either a Wii U connected via HDMI or a Wii connected via Component.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Holy shit how is this only 10 dollars?!?

I only owned Prime 1 on GC, never played 2. I borrowed Corruption for Wii and got about halfway through it, this is deal of the decade for me, thank you Nintendo. ;_;

Vandole

Well aiming with the remote is quite different from twin stick fps. Have you tried that on wii or move before?

Gonna buy this as soon as I get home. I think I have 12 gigs free so I am safe storage wise. Never even played the second game :)

I had only played the GC version so this will be a different experience. These discount Wii releases have made me happy to have picked up a hard drive though. Now that Nintendo has figured out how sales work its worth giving games that I tried once a second shot. Case in point, the Prime trilogy.

Some bosses and enemies have weakpoints but they're pretty big and you have a lock-on. You should be fine.

uhh
you might want to check out some gameplay videos
A lot of fights are fast as a hell and need precise controlling

I've just tested out the wiimote and nunchuck and they seem fine enough on the menus but yeah, i'll have a look at some gameplay to to get a better idea.

Thanks guys.

Vandole

Question: If I dont have enough space, will still let me purchase it?, I need to know if I have to get a new hdd at lunch :D
You can't buy it directly off of the eShop if you don't have the space, but if you buy it from Nintendo's website you can buy a download code for the game that you can enter at a later time.

I've just tested out the wiimote and nunchuck and they seem fine enough on the menus but yeah, i'll have a look at some gameplay to to get a better idea.

Thanks guys.

it really depends on what 3rd party wiimote you purchased.
There are MANY great ones for a ridiculously cheap price (9.90) but there are also a few real stinkers.
Just test it with Metroid itself. If everything works fine, use it.
My friend bought 4 3rd party wiimoted for 40euros which work surprisingly great.

edit:
Sooo.. I've never used Wii Mode on my Wii U.

How's the upscaling? Sharp pixels or blurry?

depends on your TV and especially the settings(turn DOWN the sharpness).
I have a LED LCD 46" and it looks perfetcly fine. more sharp than blurry

neoemonk

Woke up, saw thread. Rushed to Wii U to buy game.

Nowhere to be found on the eShop.

Oh well, I watched the Xenoblade Wii U trailer again.

it really depends on what 3rd party wiimote you purchased.
There are MANY great ones for a ridiculously cheap price (9.90) but there are also a few real stinkers.
Just test it with Metroid itself. If everything works fine, use it.
My friend bought 4 3rd party wiimoted for 40euros which work surprisingly great.

I've just seen i've got a few pounds already on the eshop so fuck it i'm buying it, it's too good an offer. If the wiimote's shite i'll pick up another one next week or something.

Caayn

that's how the game is rendered. it will be the same here.
That's just because you have your Wii U set to a HD resolution and 480 doesn't quite go into those nicely so you get small black bars at the top and bottom. If you set your U to 480p first, which is a bit of a pain, it'll fill the screen.
Thank you both. Shame that there's no fix for that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have a question about the audio:

I'm running normal red-white RCA out into my "high end" Logitech 5.1 system. It has a "3D Mode" which I'm pretty sure converts Dolby Pro-Logic output to surround.

I'm pretty sure WiiU games don't output DPL, but Metroid Prime 3 definitely did on the original Wii. Will the WiiU running Trilogy output DPL over standard red/white RCA?

Davey Cakes

People keep asking if the controls are good.

As early as 2007 with Prime 3, the consensus was a resounding "yes."

IR pointing is really natural for first-person games and MP3 was one of the first to truly feel right due to the ability to set a sensitive deadzone. It's smooth and does NOT require elaborate movements.

Saw the ad in the wiiUpad, entered the eshop and dowloading it right now.

I would have loved for the option of controlling it with the WiiU pad to play at night from the bed, but for 9 euros, even already having the 3 games, its an amzing prize.

Top Bottom