• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS HD Collection Made Me Realize…

Which is the GOAT?

• MGS1

Votes: 44 23.8%
  • MGS2

Votes: 51 27.6%
  • MGS3

Votes: 58 31.4%
  • MGS4

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • MGS Peace Walker

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • MGS5

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • MGS Twin Snakes (LOL)

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
soMf1wt.gif
That MGS2 is the GOAT MGS game and Kojimas opus magnum.

I replayed through each game on steam deck and on ps5, and I keep wanting to come back and play more MGS2. Everything about this game even by 2024 standards fires on all cylinders.

For the longest time I felt it was MGS3, but after all this time it just doesn’t captivate me like it once did. The approachable manner of MGS2, and a more focused game overall helps make it replayable.

76DDC4935386568C0FF22A86D4F40149BA458D16

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Honestly, the only good ones were 2 and 5. The ones that everyone gave the most shit to at the time.

2 was so insane at the time that I played that demo like 200x. It felt like it was from the future. Huge leap in enemy AI complexity, 1st person view, contextual actions. I loved it.

5 is basically one of the best stealth games of all time, if not the best. The gameplay / physics complexity is just shy of Breath of the Wild.

1 is very stylish and a fun nostalgia trip, but that's about it. I didn't like 3 personally, or 4. Maybe I would if I replayed them.

DelireMan7

Big fan of the franchise. Played MGS1 with absolute no idea of what it was about (Had no idea of who Kojima was) and I was blown away.

For me it would be a tie between 1 and 3. Both are exceptional. Let's say MGS1 has a bonus for being the "first" ("Solid" game at least) and some nostalgia.

I loved 2 on release. I replayed the whole franchise few years ago and 2 was good but not as good as MGS1, 3. And honestly I would probably prefer to play V (and maybe 4) instead of 2.
That being said, I would still replay all of them with no hesitation ^^

Arsic

Big fan of the franchise. Played MGS1 with absolute no idea of what it was about (Had no idea of who Kojima was) and I was blown away.

For me it would be a tie between 1 and 3. Both are exceptional. Let's say MGS1 has a bonus for being the "first" ("Solid" game at least) and some nostalgia.

I loved 2 on release. I replayed the whole franchise few years ago and 2 was good but not as good as MGS1, 3. And honestly I would probably prefer to play V (and maybe 4) instead of 2.
That being said, I would still replay all of them with no hesitation ^^
MGS1 just doesn’t work for me in modern day.

It’s key moments like the memory card are lost with time. It also doesn’t look or control well. It is a product of its time.

I can’t take away from the story, dialogue, characters, and moments though. But in that sense it’s more worth watching MGS1 now for me then playing it myself.

MGS2 I want to engage with on all levels. It’s a focused title and aside from visuals could’ve been released in 2024 and still fit. There’s that much going on here that the comment above saying it’s from the future is apt.

MGS3 has moments but overall as a product it feels bloated for me, and suffers from pacing issues.

MGS4 I haven’t played since release but I used to love it. Hope the second collection is real so I can play it again.

MGS5 is the least memorable. Sure gameplay is cool but every other part of that game suffers massively.

Peace Walker is a joke game lol.

StueyDuck

I can't choose a favorite. To me they are all top tier video games.

Even 4, weird as it may be it still has its own specialties that no other game provides

And you can lump the soon to be DS2 and DS in that pile as well.

Haven't played policenauts or snatcher. Hated the ZoE games. And the old MG games are unique for the time and period but wouldn't hold them in that high regard.

The handheld titles from ac!d to peace walker are so-so

Arsic

MGS1 is the obvious GOAT if you were playing it at the time imo.
It was revolutionary and broke the 4th wall. Even had people looking for a frequency on the back of the case. etc.
The issue is unless you get a CRT, and plug in a PS1 to play it as intended for the first time, the experience is lost to time.

My recent play through of MGS1-3 made me aware how much of the moments of MGS1 only exist at the time and are reflected upon being good for its time.

MGS2s experience is the same then and now. Albeit improved thanks to subsistence improvements.

Don’t get me wrong MGS1 it’s a classic but as time has gone on for me it’s lost its chance at GOAT status unfortunately. MGS3 was my goat prior.

Currently it looks like this though:

MGS2
MGS1
MGS3
MGS4
MGS5

Bond007

MGS 1 is king for me. The magazine hype got me- the dual shock release. This game really propelled gaming forward when it comes to action adventure.
Story telling, graphics, characters, stealth, vent crawling, radar, weapons management. Just incredible and as you can tell- my fav game of all time.
MGS 2 is second. I bought Zone of Enders for the demo and played it like a full on game daily for a long time. Amazing game- my only sadness came from Raiden being the main protagonist and the secrecy leading up to it and the outrage during leaks right prior. I enjoy seeing the love for MGS2 now- for a long time, people didnt appreciate it.
Best game intro ever with Harry Gregson.

MGS3 while also great- didnt fully grab me like the previous. The setting, the villians to me just werent as captivating as prior. Slightly disappointed they went this route with the first remake. But grateful my fav series is back.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

When considering the whole package I love 2 the most by far, then it's 1 and then 4. 3 I enjoy the characters and story but I dislike the gameplay compared to the others. 4 wouldn't be as good if it didn't have the backing of 1 and 2 ofc, but it does. I lobed everything being tied up, sure it's ultra indulgent and some cutscenes are ludicrous but I love it tbh.

5 is so confusing because it has this amazing gameplay variety, repeatability is off the charts and progression is ultra satisfying (for the most part, too much grinding later) but the story is basically non existent, I stopped playing at mission 20 cause I was burnt out. I had put 250 hours into it by then 100%ing every mission as I went, it was so fun.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Gameplay wise it's 5, hands down for me. Such a shame that game had an atrocious storytelling.

Considering the full package I would go with 1 or 4.

Last edited:

Kerotan

MGS2 for me after playing the collection.

MG1, MG2, MGS1 all fantastic but too dated.

MGS2 graphics superb still and it's just such a fun sandbox. MGS3 maybe it'll go number 1 after the remake but I doubt it.

Arsic

MGS2 for me after playing the collection.

MG1, MG2, MGS1 all fantastic but too dated.

MGS2 graphics superb still and it's just such a fun sandbox. MGS3 maybe it'll go number 1 after the remake but I doubt it.

I’m of the mind the remake won’t be shit because it isn’t Kojima.

It’s fun to clown on the guy for huffing his own farts but I’d be a fool to not realize he is the key ingredient for this franchise. Without it, it’s just a cash grab attempt.

Fbh

Yeah 2 is great. Love the story, gameplay, setting and characters in this one.
I got into this franchise late and I remember overwhelmingly hearing how 3 is the best and this one usually getting mixed responses, but I personally liked it more than 3.

The issue is unless you get a CRT, and plug in a PS1 to play it as intended for the first time, the experience is lost to time.

My recent play through of MGS1-3 made me aware how much of the moments of MGS1 only exist at the time and are reflected upon being good for its time.

MGS2s experience is the same then and now. Albeit improved thanks to subsistence improvements.

Don’t get me wrong MGS1 it’s a classic but as time has gone on for me it’s lost its chance at GOAT status unfortunately. MGS3 was my goat prior.

Currently it looks like this though:

MGS2
MGS1
MGS3
MGS4
MGS5
come on man, which one had you starring at butts to find a chick? ha!

Solidus_T

Banned
It was always between MGS2 and 3, but the 2 is just a cut above since it involves you, the player, in the story, assuming you've played the first and everything. Kojima's writing is also excellent and refreshingly anti-war in pretty much all of his games as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member
When considering the whole package I love 2 the most by far, then it's 1 and then 4. 3 I enjoy the characters and story but I dislike the gameplay compared to the others. 4 wouldn't be as good if it didn't have the backing of 1 and 2 ofc, but it does. I lobed everything being tied up, sure it's ultra indulgent and some cutscenes are ludicrous but I love it tbh.

5 is so confusing because it has this amazing gameplay variety, repeatability is off the charts and progression is ultra satisfying (for the most part, too much grinding later) but the story is basically non existent, I stopped playing at mission 20 cause I was burnt out. I had put 250 hours into it by then 100%ing every mission as I went, it was so fun.
The story is kind of bad in MGSV and I don't know why they paid Keifer Sutherland just to grunt a bunch but that opening section is one of the most batshit insane crazy levels in vidya history and basically makes it worth it. I need to play it again.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

MGS2 is the best MGS game, probably. Its at the very least the most ballsy and controversial game. It deconstructs the hugely popular original which was sort of unpredecented. Kojima could easily add Solid Snake as main character and call it a day. But they ditched this iconic 90's character that just starred into one of the highest rated games of the PS1 generation. MGS2 essentially breaks this game down and questions it throughout.

The game, coincidence or not, warns us about the possibly dangers about control of the digital flow of information, algoritms, memes taking over the political landscape and deciding the course of society. I hold it in very high regard for what it sets out to do being a sequel.

ungalo

MGS2, but i also love 1.

MGS3 was still a good game but less impactful and very dumb. 4 and 5 are painful experiences for opposite reasons.

MrRibeye

I've never seen the ending credits of any MGS game, but yesterday I reached the end of MGS1 and a few hours ago started a new run of MGS2. 📦

20 years ago when these games came out, I was busy fragging heads in Quake and my only exposure to MGS back in the 2000s was messing around mid-campaign on a friend's save file. 🥷

Kerotan

I’m of the mind the remake won’t be shit because it isn’t Kojima.

It’s fun to clown on the guy for huffing his own farts but I’d be a fool to not realize he is the key ingredient for this franchise. Without it, it’s just a cash grab attempt.
Well it's just a copy and paste remake so it shouldn't be hard to mess up.

I think going for the platinum trophy on MGS2/3 made me enjoy MGS2 more because speed running that game in under 2 Hours on extreme with no alerts, no kills and just 8 saves is an experience.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I liked MGS 4 the best personally
I think I agree. It definitely hits you in the nostalgia balls quite a few times in really meaningful ways. Plus it has the absolute best gameplay (until V). The cutscene direction is retardedly entertaining. And it wrapped up an amazing story arch.

MGS4 might be the best overall MGS package, but MGSV is the best game in the series.

DelireMan7

MGS1 just doesn’t work for me in modern day.

It’s key moments like the memory card are lost with time. It also doesn’t look or control well. It is a product of its time.

I can’t take away from the story, dialogue, characters, and moments though. But in that sense it’s more worth watching MGS1 now for me then playing it myself.

MGS2 I want to engage with on all levels. It’s a focused title and aside from visuals could’ve been released in 2024 and still fit. There’s that much going on here that the comment above saying it’s from the future is apt.

MGS3 has moments but overall as a product it feels bloated for me, and suffers from pacing issues.

MGS4 I haven’t played since release but I used to love it. Hope the second collection is real so I can play it again.

MGS5 is the least memorable. Sure gameplay is cool but every other part of that game suffers massively.

Peace Walker is a joke game lol.
I hear you.

MGS1 gameplay can fell dated but I always have a blast replaying it.

MGS2 lost me a bit at the end. And overall midgame, (for some reason the E.E. story always makes me feeling weird) I find the game less engaging. Dead Cells are not very memorable to me. Also too much codec (I didn't like the new look, MGS1 Codec was perfect for me), especially when conversation are between 2 peoples in the same room.
Tanker is an absolute blast on the other end. Note that on release, I was completely blown away and beat the game several time.

MGS3 is incredible. It just suffers of the "It's not over yet !" syndrome toward the end.

MGS4 have some very rough edges and very questionable part but some aspect are very well done. I always appreciate to go back to it. (And remove the utterly trashy and stupid Johnny storyline and it becomes extremely good to my eyes)

MGSV is definitely an outlier in term of story. Gameplay is top notch. But yes, it doesn't feel like the previous games.

Peace Walker surprised me. In a good way. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
3 was amazing

4 was a graphical showcase for the ps3

Fuck 5

1 was a movie on the playstation 1
Cutscenes where not really mainstream in games at the time. Gem imo

Don’t care about 2 never will

Oh and that one psp game the full release one was really cool. Better playable on the psp go
(Peacewalker)

The 2 acid games i never played but people tell me they rocked)

Also fuck 5
Fuck 5
5 is shit
Ubisheit tier wank game

-edit-

Fuck 5 so hard

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
MGS2>MGS1>MGS3>MGS4>MGSPW>MGS5
People always thought i was crazy for saying MGS2 was better than 3, glad to see there are others that think MGS2 is superior. Wasn't a fan of the jungle setting or its story, but it was a good game. The camera angle was horrible in MGS3 too. I just had more fun playing MGS2 and finding all the little details.

GreatnessRD

MGS3 will always be my GOAT, however, as a adult, MGS2 was a masterpiece and holds a higher place in my heart. George Sears was the true hero!

My order would be
MGS3
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4
MGSPW
MGS5

I just started a chronological play through of Metal Gear on Monday. First up of course is MGS3.
I liked 2, but MGS is my favorite and maybe my favorite game of all time. I can’t wait to play through all of 4 because I never finished it, and I’ve never even played 5.

I hear Survive is the best and can’t wait to play it.

j/k

MGS2 was with GTA 3 the first games I got for my PS2. It had 2DVDs, the second one being full of making offs, novels, etc. I got to replay it on PS2 a few years ago. Still amazing. The story is just perfect. Even years after, I can look at new games and be surprised that they didn't have some of the details that MGS2 had, like mirrors, rain affecting Snake...

Top Bottom