• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS HD Collection Made Me Realize…

Which is the GOAT?

• MGS1

Votes: 44 23.8%
  • MGS2

Votes: 51 27.6%
  • MGS3

Votes: 58 31.4%
  • MGS4

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • MGS Peace Walker

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • MGS5

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • MGS Twin Snakes (LOL)

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

Topher

Gold Member
50 Cent Smh GIF
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It's the first one for me. The story was still relatively grounded without all the nano-magic BS of the later entries.
Everything this guy said. MGS1 had that blend between being somewhat grounded, with believable jargon and dialogue, plus a dose of "supernatural-yet-cryptic" character gallery which left some things unanswered for the better.

tommib

Gold Member
soMf1wt.gif
That MGS2 is the GOAT MGS game and Kojimas opus magnum.

I replayed through each game on steam deck and on ps5, and I keep wanting to come back and play more MGS2. Everything about this game even by 2024 standards fires on all cylinders.

For the longest time I felt it was MGS3, but after all this time it just doesn’t captivate me like it once did. The approachable manner of MGS2, and a more focused game overall helps make it replayable.

76DDC4935386568C0FF22A86D4F40149BA458D16
Can you add GOAT TWIN SNAKES TO THE POLL PLEASE?

Revengeance is probably the best title in the franchise. Ground Zeroes was the only time I was not thinking about better games. The rest are clunky and a bit too far up their own ass. Splinter Cell was so much better.

Mitsurux

Metal Gear Solid confessional time:
Despite owning all of the main line games (buying them right at each release with guides etc.) the only games in the series that I have played to completion (beat) are:
MGS1, The Twin Snakes, and MGS 4

🫡

tommib

Gold Member
Metal Gear Solid confessional time:
Despite owning all of the main line games (buying them right at each release with guides etc.) the only games in the series that I have played to completion (beat) are:
MGS1, The Twin Snakes, and MGS 4

🫡
You finished the best ones. Don’t feel guilty.

Aion002

Gold Member
For me:

Single player gameplay-wise is 5.

Multiplayer is MGO2.

Story is 1.

Since for me gameplay>story, 5 is the goat, even with the bizarre and incomplete story.

2 was cool, but 1 was just more memorable to me.

Lack of story in 5 is a feature, not a bug.

I love me dumb Japanese lore in games, but Kojima is too much. Dude is just tactless and can't shut up. Miss me with your 3 hour story sequence in which every ten minutes someone is shitting or pissing themselves or explaining how PTSD was created by AI ghosts. Give me the pure gameplay of 5.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What's the best way to play 2 and 3? PCSX2 with upscaling or the Steam collection with mods?

The HD collection(s) are good on all platforms, just don't expect them to run at 4K or something on modern consoles.

bender

What time is it?
From a narrative standpoint I can see the argument but Big Shell is probably the worst playground in the entire series and the boss battles are also some of the series weakest.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Peace Walker is a joke game lol.
If You Say So Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It's one of the best MGS games I’ve played. 1 and 3 have a special place for me. 2 felt like a better version of the first game, but it didn't leave me as awestruck as the original did. The 5th game has the best gameplay, but I could never really love it because of the thought that it’s unfinished; it ends in an absurd way, almost like they ran out of money for the final part. As for the 4th game, it’s probably my least favorite. It’s one of the most boring MGS games, where Kojima’s cutscene extravaganza was at its most dramatic.

Pelao

I honestly don't have a definitive favorite because I love all the Metal Gear Solid games for different reasons and none of them manage to give more weight to one over the rest.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

My favourite is MGS3,I like the premise,setting and story the most. Second would be MGS1 and third probably MGS4.

But....I will say...MGS2 is STILL to this very day one of the most impressive games I've seen.The amount of systems available in this thing is absurd for the time it released so if we are taking out personal preferance and just judge it on the package itself...

Then MGS2 is the GOAT Kojima game. I just prefer the other 3 when replaying them.

Soodanim

1 was a Metal Gear game in 3D with a couple upgrades. Mostly just a top-down experience like any 2D entry. Very good at what it did, but the gameplay was very much of its time.

2 was the first MGS to truly embrace 3D. Clear upgrades to the gameplay. And then you throw in a story that spawned documentaries on YouTube and societal predictions that Nostradamus would have envied and you have a truly timeless game. The demo alone beats out entire franchises for detail.

3 is my favourite to play thanks to the upgraded mechanics (Subsistence, not Snake Eater). The camo changing wasn't exactly seamless, but the other things more than made up for it. CQC on those pressure sensitive buttons was a delicate beast but you could do a lot with it.

4 suffered from only having 2/5 proper acts that let you use game mechanics as intended/desired. 3 was just tailing and deviating means delay. 4 had no human enemies at all, and 5 was great for the one room you got to play it.

Ground Zeroes would have been the perfect game had it been longer. GZ was a vertical slice of the evolution of MGS gameplay and it's only problem is length.

Phantom Pain ultimately suffered by not having enough big missions. There was only one that felt like a traditional MGS infiltration and that was towards the back end of the game. The other areas and bases were way too open to have that feel. When I finished it I realised that GZ was the right formula, we just needed more of it. A full game's worth.

proandrad

I absolutely hated peace walker and I hated that MGS 5 followed that same mission structure. I don’t play MGS to play some stupid war general simulator. The best part about MGS1-3 was the interconnected level structure, almost like a metroidvania lite. MGS5 should have just been a longer version of ground zero.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
E41E416F30B5CBFE43D379AA5D09CD542201A077
@Daneel Elijah I see you with the kindness.

You’re pretty good!

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Most people argue what MGS game is the goat how about best stealth game? We watch IO have a level of detail with hitman and splinter cell checks all the stealth boxes.

GHound

I will never not love MGS1 the most but Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake doesn't get anywhere near the love and respect it deserves.

Arsic

Most people argue what MGS game is the goat how about best stealth game? We watch IO have a level of detail with hitman and splinter cell checks all the stealth boxes.
I tried Hitman games a few years back and the repeated trial and error mission set up isn’t for me.

I truthfully played only one splinter cell game and it was on Xbox 360. I liked it plenty but it wasn’t even in the same league as a metal gear solid game.

That said all splinter cells seems to be on sale on steam. Do they hold the test of time like metal gear solid games or is this going to be games that desperately need remakes?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Metal Gear Solid 2 is a narrative disaster that does a great job convincing all the pseudo-intellectuals in the gaming world that its sprawling techno-babble/paranormal nonsense has some deeper meaning. These stooges, upon playing the game for the first time at the peak of their adolescence or young adulthood, convinced themselves that its message, whatever that might be from scene to scene, is proof that Kojima is on a different wavelength, managing to somehow capture the zeitgeist of the early 21st Century, when in reality, all he did was hurl a fistful of spaghetti noodles at the wall and managed to get a few of them to stick. This, of course, makes him a prophet in their eyes...despite evidence to the contrary, like having the 4th wall knocked down repeatedly, which is basically a handwritten and hand-signed admission that the artist has no fucking clue what is going on directionally, and therefore has to pull out some ridiculous stops to a) distract the audience and b)prevent the story from stalling.

I genuinely feel bad for people that look at Metal Gear Solid 2's narrative like it's some gold standard of storytelling. It really is awful.

Arsic

Metal Gear Solid 2 is a narrative disaster that does a great job convincing all the pseudo-intellectuals in the gaming world that its sprawling techno-babble/paranormal nonsense has some deeper meaning. These stooges, upon playing the game for the first time at the peak of their adolescence or young adulthood, convinced themselves that its message, whatever that might be from scene to scene, is proof that Kojima is on a different wavelength, managing to somehow capture the zeitgeist of the early 21st Century, when in reality, all he did was hurl a fistful of spaghetti noodles at the wall and managed to get a few of them to stick. This, of course, makes him a prophet in their eyes...despite evidence to the contrary, like having the 4th wall knocked down repeatedly, which is basically a handwritten and hand-signed admission that the artist has no fucking clue what is going on directionally, and therefore has to pull out some ridiculous stops to a) distract the audience and b)prevent the story from stalling.

I genuinely feel bad for people that look at Metal Gear Solid 2's narrative like it's some gold standard of storytelling. It really is awful.
4bUV7Ls.gif

Top Bottom