• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS HD Collection Made Me Realize…

Which is the GOAT?

• MGS1

Votes: 44 23.8%
  • MGS2

Votes: 51 27.6%
  • MGS3

Votes: 58 31.4%
  • MGS4

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • MGS Peace Walker

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • MGS5

Votes: 14 7.6%
  • MGS Twin Snakes (LOL)

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's always been the best one
but MGS1 is close, a faithful really good remake may elevate it though.
But yeah Sons of Liberty is the GOAT.
And for everything little thing MGS3 added it took 10 little thing that MGS2 had away.
Little details and interactivity was striped from the game.
I've played MGS2 too many time to count but when that MGS Master Collection released and I played it again it did something that it has done everytime I played it and I was Shocked.
Something different happened yet again.
You always come across something new everytime, whether it's a scene, a conversation or some the guards do.
It mind blowing
50 Cent Smh GIF
it won't GAF's GOTY twice

Edit MGS3 is also top tier but it's missing something.
What has bugged me for years is I've heard people asking for a Boss game
But it's makes zero sense for the series other then to get to play as her.
The series revolves around Metal Gear and prior to MGS3 & Big Boss there is no story to tell.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

MGS2 was the first MGS game I played. Followed by Twin Snakes and MGS3.

Guess I made a good choice playing through best first.

bitbydeath

MGS3 will always be my GOAT, however, as a adult, MGS2 was a masterpiece and holds a higher place in my heart. George Sears was the true hero!

My order would be
MGS3
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4
MGSPW
MGS5
Agree with this.
I hate what they did to the gameplay in 5.
They had a perfect opening scene in the hospital but the controls/gameplay all fell apart past that scene.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

It made me realize how terrible 5 is. I didn't even want to go back to it on my series replay. The nicest thing I can say about it is that it's incomplete.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MGS2 isn’t just the best in terms of story. The gameplay rocks, specifically the Hold Up, Elimination, and Bomb Disposal modes added in the Substance version. Its worth trudging through the vr missions to unlock them because the devs got super creative with enemy & item placements.

Of course I love MGS3 too, who doesn’t. But MGS2 is absolutely wicked.

I tried Hitman games a few years back and the repeated trial and error mission set up isn’t for me.

I truthfully played only one splinter cell game and it was on Xbox 360. I liked it plenty but it wasn’t even in the same league as a metal gear solid game.

That said all splinter cells seems to be on sale on steam. Do they hold the test of time like metal gear solid games or is this going to be games that desperately need remakes?

Chaos Theory (XBOX/PC version) stands the test of time and is absolutely worth playing. It has a 94 on Metacritic for a reason. Similar to MGS you get higher ranking if you don’t kill enemies. It has exceptional graphics and replay value, but will still be approachable to you as an MGS fan.

The other Splinter Cells can be skipped. Blacklist is fun, Double Agent and Pandora Tomorrow have their moments, but Chaos Theory is the only required reading.

Last edited:

Regginator

I'm new to the series with having only played V, so it's pretty funny how apparently that's the one universally shat on by the fan base, lol. I thought the gameplay was absolutely fantastic, it looked and controlled great, but the story missions somehow managed to be simultaneously boring and batshit crazy. It was never just good, always one or the other. I figured it was just what MGS was about, but apparently not?

Anyway, looking forward to play 1, 2 and 3 whenever the collection gets a decent sale.

It made me realize how terrible 5 is. I didn't even want to go back to it on my series replay. The nicest thing I can say about it is that it's incomplete.

The problem with MGS 5 is that its not replayable...even for the story. The hospital part is the only thing worth going over and over because it is the closest to older MGS titles. Very narrative driven. Once you finish the game once...you most def dont want to rebuild the motherbase all over again "for fun" and 80% of the story is in the audio tapes. Gameplay is good but for a one time experience. the open world is barebones, you kill/kidnap random russian soldiers...nothing about it wants me to go back to it again.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
MGS2 isn’t just the best in terms of story. The gameplay rocks, specifically the Hold Up, Elimination, and Bomb Disposal modes added in the Substance version. Its worth trudging through the vr missions to unlock them because the devs got super creative with enemy & item placements.

Of course I love MGS3 too, who doesn’t. But MGS2 is absolutely wicked.

Chaos Theory (XBOX/PC version) stands the test of time and is absolutely worth playing. It has a 94 on Metacritic for a reason. Similar to MGS you get higher ranking if you don’t kill enemies. It has exceptional graphics and replay value, but will still be approachable to you as an MGS fan.

The other Splinter Cells can be skipped. Blacklist is fun, Double Agent and Pandora Tomorrow have their moments, but Chaos Theory is the only required reading.
I bought chaos theory because it was only two dollars on a steam sale, but I guess I should have read better because it doesn’t have good resolution support, or controller support natively.

You have recommended ass to me my friend.

I bought chaos theory because it was only two dollars on a steam sale, but I guess I should have read better because it doesn’t have good resolution support, or controller support natively.

Emulate it on Dolphin emulator for the best experience.

MAX PAYMENT

The problem with MGS 5 is that its not replayable...even for the story. The hospital part is the only thing worth going over and over because it is the closest to older MGS titles. Very narrative driven. Once you finish the game once...you most def dont want to rebuild the motherbase all over again "for fun" and 80% of the story is in the audio tapes. Gameplay is good but for a one time experience. the open world is barebones, you kill/kidnap random russian soldiers...nothing about it wants me to go back to it again.
Well put.

Ground Zeroes is replayable...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Controller? Chaos Theory is excellent with a keyboard/mouse. The mouse wheel controls your movement speed in a pretty intuitive way. The game even starts you on an empty beach with no guards so you can learn the controls lol

But hey to each their own. At least it was only $2.

MGS1 was the game the made me respect the PS1.
MGS2 is amazing, but that whole game is the tanker/intro for me. when someone says MGS2, thats all i see, and all i care about.
MGS3 is great and fun, but lacks the cachet of the first two.
MGS4 is ok.
MGS5 is ok.
peace walker was more fun that i anticipated

Top Bottom