• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cooking 360 figures? *Rumors*

arne

gcfan2k5 said:
Talk about printing money, nintendo just posted 2.2 BILLION DOLLARS IN PROFIT for the last fiscal year, thats more than every other video game publisher combined i believe.:D

And Microsoft makes more than that PER QUARTER in profit.

see what I did there?

:lol

FightyF

Banned
schuelma said:
Maybe you're not aware, but in Japan Wii Sports is a stand alone game available for purchase. It's not a pack in. It's a full game. And its killing the PS3's entire library.

Tell me, if the PS3 was $250...which console would sell better, the Wii or PS3?

It's all about perceived value, and I'll say it again for the hundredth time, once the PS3 hits a mass market price...it'll sell like hotcakes...this case, sell like hotcakes in Japan.

Nightstick11 said:
No, they don't. See what I did there?

Yeah I saw, you made a dumb statement that cannot be supported by evidence.

I'm not surprised...you've been doing that this whole thread.

The Wii looks incredibly outdated NOW. Hint: Nobody cares. The definition of the "next generation" this time has been defined as the controller. You know the console cycle. Revolution(NES)--> Evolution(SNES, Genesis) --> Revolution(analog stick, rumble features) --> Evolution(PS2, GCN, Xbox) --> Revolution(Wii).

So you're implying to me that if MS copied the Wii's controls that Wii has no chance...interesting.

Also, in two years the PS3 and possibly Xbox 360 will be irrelevant on a global scale. THAT is the trend we are seeing, NOT "Hurrr I'm a moron who thunks PS3 and 360 will make a come back durr". You have to use facts and statistics to determine whether you should start pulling prophecies out of your ass.

You're acting as if gamers are not interested in the PS3 and 360. That is not the case. It's just that a lot of people see it beyond their wallets at this point. That will change in a year or two, and people will adopt them very well.

Partially because consoles like the 360 have a better games library.

No console that starts off THIS hot ever just disappears in two years.

The 360 and PS3 had some great sales starts as well, when compared to previous consoles.

Yet, you claim they will disappear in two years.

Why? What is the crux of your argument? That gamers aren't interested in the PS3 and 360.

Which is a crock of shit.

NES. Game Boy. GBA. DS. SNES. Playstation One. Playstation Two.

What do all of these systems have in common?

They all started at non-mass market prices, garnered developer support, and once they hit mass-market prices...BOOM sales skyrocketed.

This...is fact.

Your assertion that the Wii selling well is indicative of the market being uninterested in the PS3 and 360, is total bullshit.

My assertion that the PS3 and 360 is not selling as well as the Wii because of their prices is far more reasonable. Ask any gamer here...the PS3 and 360 are appealing to them, but the price isn't. Once it hits > $250, a lot of apprehensive gamers will be on board.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jimbo said:
Except for the Dreamcast, N64, Saturn. The first two setting launch records of their own while the third, Saturn, being in first place for about 2 years in Japan before the PS caught on. Yep, great starts are clearly all you need to be able to properly judge the outcome of a 6-year generation

Did any of those consoles sell 6.5M units worldwide in its first four months while being supply constrained? Simple question..yes or no.

Haunted

Hcoregamer00 said:
What does arguing the wii is overpriced have to do with anything?

Exactly :)
I was referring to 'not quoting anything = replying to the OP'.

Usually, I'd agree, but if done reasonably, I have nothing against the discussion branching out in a thread. This thread? Pretty much a cluster****. :p

schuelma

Fight for Freeform said:

It's all about perceived value, and I'll say it again for the hundredth time, once the PS3 hits a mass market price...it'll sell like hotcakes...this case, sell like hotcakes in Japan.

QUOTE]

The problem for you is, its not 250 dollars and won't be for a long time. And when it is, the Wii will be 100 dollars.

If I were you, I'd stop arguing about Japan. Japan is over. Nintendo won.

StevieP

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:

The Wii. It's all about perceived value. And a 360 waggle wand won't change its perceived value.

Your assertion that the Wii selling well is indicative of the casual market currently being uninterested in the PS3 and 360, is totally correct.

I agree.

909er

In a way, this kind of reminds me of the early GC vs. Xbox sales battles where GC was basically stomping the Xbox. Now, I'm not saying Wii will have a GC like slump and get decimated. I'm trying to say that anybody making any long term projection about how things will be 5 years are ignoring so many factors it's idiotic. You can't guess what will happen in a few years based on the first few months. What if ppl really do get tired of the controls (either of them, the waggle and the traditional)? What if the graphics problem catches up to Nintendo when the 360 is equally as affordable? IMO, those 2 are the biggest variables in this battle. Nintendo made a currently lucrative but potentially dangerous bet in the long run, because you can't predict how ppl will react to certain factors. Same with MS. At this point, they better hope that when their suped up graphics becomes mass market priced, that people will choose the 360 as the superior choice.

Anybody who believes the battle is already over is an idiot. As they say, it's not over until it's over.

909er

schuelma said:
1. The Wii already looks outdated. If your theory is true, please explain to me how Wii Sports is by far the #1 next generation game in Japan. It's characters don't even have arms, and yet its CRUSHING all the HD PS3 and 360 games.

2. The Wii graphics will improve and improve a lot considering that most games out were rushed out by developers cashing in on the early success.

3. This has been said countless times, but the games are going to come for the Wii if it keeps selling like this. It's not a guess, its a reality.

1. Japan has been for the last few years far more of an outlier in terms of gaming tastes compared to the Western markets. It's also the only market where Wii Sports isn't a pack in. You can't determine the relative strength of that one title world wide based on that. I could counter argue that 360 software sales have been crushing the Wii in the US.

schuelma

909er said:
1. Japan has been for the last few years far more of an outlier in terms of gaming tastes compared to the Western markets. It's also the only market where Wii Sports isn't a pack in. You can't determine the relative strength of that one title world wide based on that. I could counter argue that 360 software sales have been crushing the Wii in the US.

I'd dispute that statement. Wasn't Brain Age and Nintendogs only going to cater to the Japanese? True, the DS is currently much more of a monster in Japan than the U.S, but I'd say going by the latest NPD the U.S is catching on. And hasn't the console world wide leader always won Japan?

Second, you're right- because its a pack in its hard to measure its impact in Europe and NA. That said, how else would you account for the unprecedented hype, mainstream media, and demand? Zelda?

Haunted

arne said:
doesn't matter.
Alright then. :(

Fight For Freeform said:
My assertion that the PS3 and 360 is not selling as well as the Wii because of their prices is far more reasonable. Ask any gamer here...the PS3 and 360 are appealing to them, but the price isn't.
One thing only: I really wouldn't use NeoGAF users as a barometer for the mass-market appeal of any console.

jimbo

Banned
StevieP said:

Well you really showed me. I feel the pain.

I think I see the light now. You see guys, while the Wii gets crazy popular games like Boogie, Harry Potter, 2D games from SNK the 360 and PS3 are stuck with the likes of Virtua Fighter, Devil May Cry, Grand Theft Auto, Sega Rally, Ace Combat, etc. How can they possibly compete with such a quality list of titles like those you showed there?

That right there is truly the future of this generation!

PS: You just proved my point. The Wii will get the majority of easy to do ports, shovelware, spin-offs and every once in awhile a solid original title while the 360/PS3 continues to get the games people outside of GAF cares and know about.

schuelma

jimbo said:
Well you really showed me. I feel the pain.

I think I see the light now. You see guys, while the Wii gets crazy popular games like Boogie, Harry Potter, 2D games from SNK the 360 and PS3 are stuck with the likes of Virtua Fighter, Devil May Cry, Grand Theft Auto, Sega Rally, Ace Combat, etc. How can they possibly compete with such a quality list of titles like those you showed there?

That right there is truly the future of this generation!

PS: You just proved my point. The Wii will get the majority of easy to do ports, shovelware, spin-offs and every once in awhile a solid original title while the 360/PS3 continues to get the games people outside of GAF cares and know about.

While I see your point I don't think the Wii necessarily needs Devil May Cry 5 to succeed. I'll bet you that Mario and Sonic makes more money for Sega than Virtua Fighter.

jimbo

Banned
Haunted One said:
Alright then. :(

One thing only: I really wouldn't use NeoGAF users as a barometer for the mass-market appeal of any console.

You're right so how about we ask the 120+ million gamers that passed on Nintendo consoles, TWICE, the past 2 generations in favor for the types of games found on the Playstation and PS2....the ones which will continue to appear on 360/PS3?

Are they a loud enough voice/large enough barometer for you?

Haunted One said:
oh. And here I was thinking that his avatar was about the Canucks. my bad. :/

segata8tinew.gif

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:
While I see your point I don't think the Wii necessarily needs Devil May Cry 5 to succeed. I'll bet you that Mario and Sonic makes more money for Sega than Virtua Fighter.

But the PS3/360 gets Virtua Fighter AND Sonic...and Sega Rally, and The Club, and PSU.....so what's YOUR point?

schuelma

jimbo said:
But the PS3/360 gets Virtua Fighter AND Sonic...and Sega Rally, and The Club, and PSU.....so what's YOUR point?

My point is different games work better on Nintendo. In my opinion, Sonic and Mario is going to sell a hell of a lot more than those titles you listed.

And BTW- Wii got the good Sonic this time around.

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:
Did any of those consoles sell 6.5M units worldwide in its first four months while being supply constrained? Simple question..yes or no.

Did any of those consoles launch world wide simultaneously, yes or no?

Nice try:lol

Haunted

jimbo said:
You're right so how about we ask the 120+ gamers that passed on Nintendo consoles, TWICE, the past 2 generations in favor for the types of games found on the Playstation and PS2....the ones which will continue to appear on 360/PS3?

No. I think that NeoGAF users are not the average console buyer, and thus 120 (or 1000, or 5000) NeoGAFfers doing anything is not a good indication on how the 100 million+ consumers videogame market will play out.

Segata Sanshiro said:
heh.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
jimbo said:
You're right so how about we ask the 120+ gamers that passed on Nintendo consoles, TWICE, the past 2 generations in favor for the types of games found on the Playstation and PS2....the ones which will continue to appear on 360/PS3?

They are not the mainstream.

You can't expect hardcore gamers of any type be a proper indication of how casual gamers think, the people who buy a majority of the consoles and games.

schuelma

jimbo said:
Did any of those consoles launch world wide simultaneously, yes or no?

Nice try:lol

So what? The Wii is building a huge user base in a short amount of time. It's almost caught up to the 360. You really think that isn't going to lead to developers shifting to the Wii? Honestly? I forget, but what is your opinion on why the Wii is going to die? Is it games, or price drops by its competitors, or what?

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:
My point is different games work better on Nintendo. In my opinion, Sonic and Mario is going to sell a hell of a lot more than those titles you listed.

And BTW- Wii got the good Sonic this time around.

Of course, kids games, in general have ALWAYS done better on Nintendo consoles. But what does that means when it comes what we are talking about? As a matter of fact "kids" games is one of the major this that's been hurting Nintendo for so long.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Haunted One said:
What does that have to do with Microsoft cooking 360 figures or not?
What does the discussion of Nintendo and Sony running rampart in the last few pages got to do with Microsoft cooking 360 figures or not? Arne said it reasonably well at the start of the 3rd page that the thread should've been closed due to no real means of discussion towards the original post.

Haunted One said:
Usually, I'd agree, but if done reasonably, I have nothing against the discussion branching out in a thread. This thread? Pretty much a cluster****. :p
Nevermind, you answered your own question.

schuelma

jimbo said:
Of course, kids games, in general have ALWAYS done better on Nintendo consoles. But what does that means when it comes what we are talking about? As a matter of fact "kids" games is one of the major this that's been hurting Nintendo for so long.

Sonic and Mario is not going to be just a "kids" game, but nice try. Is Wii Sports a kids game because its characters look like lego's?

Haunted

speedpop said:
What does the discussion of Nintendo and Sony running rampart in the last few pages got to do with Microsoft cooking 360 figures or not? Arne said it reasonably well at the start of the 3rd page that the thread should've been closed due to no real means of discussion towards the original post.

Nevermind, you answered your own question.
I was referring to 'not quoting anything = replying to the OP', but it's all good. :)

Boogie sucks? Damn GAF, I should have known :(

so, according to jimbo (ninja edit heh), the 360 and ps3 are stuck with the same stuff we been playing for years (plus the 'oh so crispy' hd textures) because it's the kind of fix non-gaffers crave?

You're right, ace combat will sell out.

ftr, ace combat is great. jimbo, not so much.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
schuelma said:
Sonic and Mario is not going to be just a "kids" game, but nice try. Is Wii Sports a kids game because its characters look like lego's?

Yes, no boobies and loli raping means it is a kids game.

StevieP

Banned
My God, people are still using 'teh kiddie'? What is this, 1996 again?

jimbo said:
The Wii will get the majority of easy to do ports, shovelware, spin-offs and every once in awhile a solid original title

jimbo again said:
The Wii will get BETTER support than past Nintendo consoles. But that's all she wrote folks. It won't get better support than the 360/PS3.

reply from jimbo said:
Thanks for checking your crystal ball. Could you also tell me the lottery numbers for next week?

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:
So what? The Wii is building a huge user base in a short amount of time. It's almost caught up to the 360. You really think that isn't going to lead to developers shifting to the Wii? Honestly? I forget, but what is your opinion on why the Wii is going to die? Is it games, or price drops by its competitors, or what?

Yes I really do. The Wii will get BETTER support than past Nintendo consoles. But that's all she wrote folks. It won't get better support than the 360/PS3.

1. The Wii is 2nd. There's currently no need to switch. It has still to pass the 360.
2. Unlike you, developers do think about what will happen when the 360 and PS3 gets price drops. They also think about what the current 360 line-up will do for its user-base when games like Halo, GTA, BD hit.
3. The Wii still has to prove it can be the first console since the SNES that can actually provide GREAT third party sales. The 360, at 6.5 million units was DOMINATING software charts with pretty much every release, first party or third party. The Wii at 6.5 million units doesn't do this except with first party titles.

No I don't think the Wii will die. I think it will do well.

schuelma

Trip Warhawkins said:
Boogie sucks? Damn GAF, I should have known :(

so, according to schuelma, the 360 and ps3 are stuck with the same stuff we been playing for years (plus the 'oh so crispy' hd textures) because it's the kind of fix non-gaffers crave?

You're right, ace combat will sell out.

ftr, ace combat is great. schuelma, not so much.

Edit- ok good..didn't think your post applied to me. :lol :lol

schuelma

jimbo said:
Yes I really do. The Wii will get BETTER support than past Nintendo consoles. But that's all she wrote folks. It won't get better support than the 360/PS3.

1. The Wii is 2nd. There's currently no need to switch. It has still to pass the 360.
2. Unlike you, developers do think about what will happen when the 360 and PS3 gets price drops. They also think about what the current 360 line-up will do for its user-base when games like Halo, GTA, BD hit.
3. The Wii still has to prove it can be the first console since the SNES that can actually provide GREAT third party sales. The 360, at 6.5 million units was DOMINATING software charts with pretty much every release, first party or third party. The Wii at 6.5 million units doesn't do this except with first party titles.

No I don't think the Wii will die. I think it will do well.

1. It's second and gaining about 500K a month on the 360.

2. Fair enough, but Nintendo can match or exceed any price cut.

3. Agreed. I would argue that because so many developers were late to the party, 3rd parties haven't given Wii owners any truly blockbuster third party games to play.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

what is mass market price though? $199?

It's going to be a very long time before that happens - 2009? 2010? 2011? the 'war' will be over by then... the Wii will be at some crazy sales figure by that time.

I doubt developers are going to sit waiting for years for the PS3 to finally take off, they'll hawl ass to where the money is.

It's all well and good saying "well, IF the PS3 was $250..." - it's not, and there's a reason it's not. I don't think you can argue percieved value on the strength of an hypothetical situation which either ignores the fact that sony would be commiting suicide or would remove mean the exclusion of components that would have given the machine it's perceived value at that price point.

Yes, it'll get there eventually - but most likely it's going to be 3-4 years before it hits mass market and , as i've said, that might be too late to help.

All this is also ignoring the fact that Nintendo probably have the most room to waggle a price cut... i hear they have a huge back log of GCs and literally thousands of miles of tape just ready to go into a new factory at the drop of a hat.

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:
1. It's second and gaining about 500K a month on the 360.

2. Fair enough, but Nintendo can match or exceed any price cut.

3. Agreed. I would argue that because so many developers were late to the party, 3rd parties haven't given Wii owners any truly blockbuster third party games to play.

1. Can I see the detailed, solid data you used to come up with this wonderful fact? And also the guarantee the Devil/God gave you that this will continue while you're at it.

2. Great but the GC did too. This isn't simply about the 360/PS3 being more expensive than the Wii, or the Wii being cheaper than the 360/PS3. This is about the 360/PS3 being far away from a mass market price. It has nothing to do with the Wii's price point, but their own. There have been plenty of consoles that were more expensive that sold more than the cheaper console. There's never been a console priced at over $299 that sold into a mass market. There's also never been a $399 console that's sold as good as the 360.

3. And again, I'm not asking for the games to be coming out in the next couple of months. But simply an announcement of a port of games like DMC, VF, Ace Combat, Oblivion, Lost Planet, GTA, Assasin's Creed, MGS, FFXIII, Sega Rally, Phantasy Star, Dead Rising, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Bioshock, Half-Life, and so many more would be nice.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Fight for Freeform said:
normansmileysw3.gif

Stop right there!

And head over HERE...you gots some splainin' to do!
You know, you are a funny little boy.
$400 is the price point for customers not the amount of money Microsoft earns per console. You know why? Because retailers don't sell goods for nothing, iirc 20% - 25% of the MSRP are for retailers, also factor in shipping costs and you will end up at $300 or less per console for Microsoft which is obviously less than manufacturing costs for each Xbox 360 console (according to iSupply about $325.)

schuelma

jimbo said:
1. Can I see the detailed, solid data you used to come up with this wonderful fact? And also the guarantee the Devil/God gave you that this will continue while you're at it.

2. Great but the GC did too. This isn't simply about the 360/PS3 being more expensive than the Wii, or the Wii being cheaper than the 360/PS3. This is about the 360/PS3 being far away from a mass market price. It has nothing to do with the Wii's price point, but their own. There have been plenty of consoles that were more expensive that sold more than the cheaper console. There's never been a console priced at over $299 that sold into a mass market. There's also never been a $399 console that's sold as good as the 360.

3. And again, I'm not asking for the games to be coming out in the next couple of months. But simply an announcement of a port of games like DMC, VF, Ace Combat, Oblivion, Lost Planet, GTA, Assasin's Creed, MGS, FFXIII, Sega Rally, Phantasy Star, Dead Rising, Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Bioshock, Half-Life, and so many more would be nice.

1. Well, in Japan its gaining 250-300k a month so far. In N.A for January and February its gained over a 100K. No one knows for sure in Europe but if Nintendo's statement of selling 2m so far is true then its really outpacing the 360 there. And until the holiday season, what is going to change fundamentally to alter the picture? The Wii is doing all of this in spite of having a weak library compared to the 360.

2. My point is, if the Wii gets down to 150-100..I'd say that's at even more of a mass selling price.

3. Sad to say, its going to be very hard to port those games down to the Wii. What I think we'll see is most publishers making a HD big budget game and a Wii one.

Mrbob

DCharlie said:
what is mass market price though? $199?

It's going to be a very long time before that happens - 2009? 2010? 2011? the 'war' will be over by then... the Wii will be at some crazy sales figure by that time.

I doubt developers are going to sit waiting for years for the PS3 to finally take off, they'll hawl ass to where the money is.

It's all well and good saying "well, IF the PS3 was $250..." - it's not, and there's a reason it's not. I don't think you can argue percieved value on the strength of an hypothetical situation which either ignores the fact that sony would be commiting suicide or would remove mean the exclusion of components that would have given the machine it's perceived value at that price point.

Yes, it'll get there eventually - but most likely it's going to be 3-4 years before it hits mass market and , as i've said, that might be too late to help.

All this is also ignoring the fact that Nintendo probably have the most room to waggle a price cut... i hear they have a huge back log of GCs and literally thousands of miles of tape just ready to go into a new factory at the drop of a hat.

Eh, it remains to be seen if the Wii will even outsell the X360 this year after a price cut and Halo 3.

PS3 will get a 360 port.

Sony should thank MS. X360 is gonna save the PS3 from losing a ton of support like the PSP has against the DS.

I still don't see why we are comparing the PS3 to the Wii. They are not on the same lifecycle. IN fact you could say Nintendo is behind because by the time they offer a HD system Sony will have millions head start.

schuelma

Mrbob said:
Eh, it remains to be seen if the Wii will even outsell the X360 this year after a price cut and Halo 3.

PS3 will get a 360 port.

Sony should thank MS. X360 is gonna save the PS3 from losing a ton of support like the PSP has against the DS.

Agree. A lot easier to to a quick port of a 360 game then build a PS3 game from the ground up.

Mass market price differs from product to product even within the same market. The PS3 could hit mass market as high as $399 but I'd say about $299 for the PS3 while the X360 mass market price will likely hold at $199. Using the $299 figure, its not unreasonable that the PS3 could hit Mass market price before the X360. The Wii isn't a factor, it's already at mass market price so lowering the price won't have as great an effect on market penetration.

jimbo

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
They are not the mainstream.

You can't expect hardcore gamers of any type be a proper indication of how casual gamers think, the people who buy a majority of the consoles and games.

I meant 120+ million, reffering to the PS and PS2 user bases.

schuelma

jimbo said:
I meant 120+ million, reffering to the PS and PS2 user bases.

Those consoles got the casuals which makes up a huge chunk of that base. The Wii is taking those casuals every single month.

felipeko

schuelma said:
Those consoles got the casuals which makes up a huge chunk of that base. The Wii is taking those casuals every single month.
Wii is going to stop when it hit Gamecube sales. Believe.

schuelma

felipeko said:
Wii is going to stop when it hit Gamecube sales. Believe.

Oh I forgot. Thanks for the reminder. Luke Smith may be gone from 1up, but he'll live in our hearts forever.

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:
1. Well, in Japan its gaining 250-300k a month so far. In N.A for January and February its gained over a 100K. No one knows for sure in Europe but if Nintendo's statement of selling 2m so far is true then its really outpacing the 360 there. And until the holiday season, what is going to change fundamentally to alter the picture? The Wii is doing all of this in spite of having a weak library compared to the 360.

2. My point is, if the Wii gets down to 150-100..I'd say that's at even more of a mass selling price.

3. Sad to say, its going to be very hard to port those games down to the Wii. What I think we'll see is most publishers making a HD big budget game and a Wii one.

1. Lots of things. The Wii itself speaks for this. It was an over night hit. The Elite. Price drops. An insanely popular must-have game. Anything can happen that can change things way before the holiday.

2. And my point is it won't matter if the Wii's cheaper. What matters is the 360 and PS3 being affordable. The GC, DC, Xbox were ALL cheaper than the PS2 at respective points in their lifetime, but they still got rocked by it. At $299 and under people can AFFORD it. At +$399 there are literally people out there that WANT a 360 or a PS3 but simply not have the money for it. Again the Wii's not outselling the PS3/360 because it's cheaper, rather the 360/PS3 aren't selling as well as they could because THEY are expensive. Being cheaper than the others, where all consoles are at a sub 300 price, won't give the Wii the sales advantage its having now.

3. I agree.

PS: I'm done for the night folks. The wife's calling. Good show though.

Top Bottom