• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cooking 360 figures? *Rumors*

arne

schuelma said:
Those consoles got the casuals which makes up a huge chunk of that base. The Wii is taking those casuals every single month.

share your demographic data that supports this please.

this will be really helpful competitive information. thanks.

rangers = stanley cup champions in 07? believe

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
arne said:
share your demographic data that supports this please.

this will be really helpful competitive information. thanks.

rangers = stanley cup champions in 07? believe

Well, who in your opinion is buying all of these damn Wii's? Why, four months after release are people still lining up to get one?

Tell me its because of Zelda..I dare you!

felipeko

schuelma said:
Well, who in your opinion is buying all of these damn Wii's? Why, four months after release are people still lining up to get one?

No one is buying, did you ever see a Wii in the stores?
Nintendo is creating an artifical demand..

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:

The answer is pretty simple and logic. I'll walk you through it.

Ask yourself these questions: What does it currently take for a person to get their hands on a Wii?
Followed by: Are these actions those of "CASUAL" gamers?

Can you "casually" walk into a store and pick one up? Or is it pretty "hard"?

There are hints in there for ya.

PS: Ok now I'm really off to bed. Oh and my wife's a casual gamer too and she didn't like the Wii because she did not like the graphics after trying out Excite Truck.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jimbo said:
The answer is pretty simple and logic. I'll walk you through it.

Ask yourself these questions: What does it currently take for a person to get their hands on a Wii?
Followed by: Are these actions those of "CASUAL" gamers?

Can you "casually" walk into a store and pick one up? Or is it pretty "hard"?

There are hints in there for ya.

PS: Ok now I'm really off to bed. Oh and my wife's a casual gamer too and she didn't like the Wii because she did not like the graphics after trying out Excite Truck.

Well, I know of many people and have read about many many so called casual gamers (i.e the kind that has no clue what GAF is) waiting in lines to get a Wii. Yes, its anecdotal, but I have a lot of examples.

Second, the Wii is selling at a much much higher rate than the GC or N64 did. Tell me why that is. You really think its because of Zelda? You really think the Wii has reached about half of the GC's install base in Japan and Europe because of Zelda?

arne

schuelma said:

my point is until Nintendo releases those demographic data points, anything else is conjecture and irrelevant for anybody to debate.

bishoptl said:
While your speculation would work out well for my hockey pool, you can still
SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

who am i kidding? I live in seattle now, whose nearest nhl team is the canucks... :)

FightyF

Banned
StevieP said:
The Wii. It's all about perceived value. And a 360 waggle wand won't change its perceived value.

So you are saying that a $250 Wii, would beat a $250 PS3...

Now, THAT is the stupidest thing I've ever read on GAF in 10 years.

Wonderdave said:
Mass market price differs from product to product even within the same market. The PS3 could hit mass market as high as $399 but I'd say about $299 for the PS3 while the X360 mass market price will likely hold at $199. Using the $299 figure, its not unreasonable that the PS3 could hit Mass market price before the X360. The Wii isn't a factor, it's already at mass market price so lowering the price won't have as great an effect on market penetration.

Very true, and ties into my perceived value point. A BluRay player and powerful games console (with an established game library) at $299...it's a steal.

StevieP

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
So you are saying that a $250 Wii, would beat a $250 PS3...

Now, THAT is the stupidest thing I've ever read on GAF in 10 years.

What's selling the Wii to people right now? Why is it sold out worldwide constantly, and so popular in the media, and with all mainstream outlets of information? You tell me. (It hasn't the slightest thing to do with its price, in case you were wondering.)

A BluRay player and powerful games console (with an established game library) at $299...it's a steal.

Except that it won't be $299 for many years... and do you have one of those fancy crystal balls, too?

FightyF

Banned
normansmileysw3.gif

^^^ wow, bandwidth is up...and I rehosted the pic just before I posted it!

Meaning that this thread is getting a whole lotta views!

What's selling the Wii to people right now? Why is it so popular in the media, and with all mainstream outlets of information? You tell me.

I'm going to end this once and for all...

Price. If it were $450, it wouldn't be selling as well as it is now.

Again...it has to do with value. I mean, why are people paying $250 for something that has graphics slightly better than a $99 GameCube? It has to do with the unique experience the Wii offers.

$250 is a good price point for it. It is very affordable, which is perfect because Nintendo is aiming this towards casual gamers, not hardcore gamers who are willing to spend thousands on a new entertainment setup.

Your (and Nightwish11's) argument are based on the idea that the 360 and PS3 does not have any appeal, and that is why they aren't selling.

I've been claiming over and over again that once they hit mass-market prices, they will start selling. You obviously disagree with that, but I think it's pretty obvious that it's your bias making that decision, rather than a logical and rational analysis of the situation.

It's not hard to see the value in the 360, as it has the best game library of any next gen console, and it's not hard to see the value in the PS3, that offers a great lineup AND BluRay playback.

What I argue, that you can disagree with, is that the Wii will lose its appeal in a couple years time. The price will be dirt cheap in that time, but it will look extremely outdated in comparison to the other consoles. I highly doubt that many Wii games will support it's control capabilities to the extent that Nintendo games do...and I look to the DS as evidence for this. If anyone buys a new TV from now on it's going to be HD, and the Wii doesn't look that great on it. Also, the game library will still have troubles comparing to the 360s and the PS3s, as Nintendo has had an extremely slow start with Wii software, and even with the announcements...it doesn't look to be that much better this Fall.

FightyF

Banned
StevieP said:
Except that it won't be $299 for many years... and do you have one of those fancy crystal balls, too?

Hey that doesn't matter, since I asked you whether it would sell at $250...you said "no". :lol

The PS3 will have an established game library. Period. End of story. Don't even question it. You don't need a crystal ball to see it. You need eyes. That's it. Eyes. That work.

Fight for Freeform said:
What I argue, that you can disagree with, is that the Wii will lose its appeal in a couple years time. The price will be dirt cheap in that time, but it will look extremely outdated in comparison to the other consoles. I highly doubt that many Wii games will support it's control capabilities to the extent that Nintendo games do...and I look to the DS as evidence for this. If anyone buys a new TV from now on it's going to be HD, and the Wii doesn't look that great on it. Also, the game library will still have troubles comparing to the 360s and the PS3s, as Nintendo has had an extremely slow start with Wii software, and even with the announcements...it doesn't look to be that much better this Fall.

The problem with your assertions is that your point of view is flawed. YOU are the target audience for the PS3 and the 360. The target audience for the Wii is completely different, even if you are the ancillary audience. The target audience for the Wii are those who bought a PS2 for Guitar Hero or another game like that. This audience is not looking for much in the way of better graphics, they are looking for new experiences. This is what the Nintendo execs meant when they said they aren't competing with Sony and Microsoft. Lapsed could tell you more about it, but he's been banned for a while (I think I missed whatever it was he did to get banned).

When the PS3 and the 360 start offering new and unique experiences, then they will be competing for the same audience as the Wii.

It's apples and oranges. They're both videogame systems, but they are otherwise barely related.

TheLegend

Fight for Freeform said:
Again...it has to do with value. I mean, why are people paying $250 for something that has graphics slightly better than a $99 GameCube? It has to do with the unique experience the Wii offers.

$250 is a good price point for it. It is very affordable, which is perfect because Nintendo is aiming this towards casual gamers, not hardcore gamers who are willing to spend thousands on a new entertainment setup.

Your (and Nightwish11's) argument are based on the idea that the 360 and PS3 does not have any appeal, and that is why they aren't selling.

I've been claiming over and over again that once they hit mass-market prices, they will start selling. You obviously disagree with that, but I think it's pretty obvious that it's your bias making that decision, rather than a logical and rational analysis of the situation.

It's not hard to see the value in the 360, as it has the best game library of any next gen console, and it's not hard to see the value in the PS3, that offers a great lineup AND BluRay playback.

You're making entirely subjective value judgements, which is fine, but you're trying to pass it off as fact. If people truly valued the experience they could get with a 360 for $400, the price would not stop them. Explain why millions of people will pay $300 for an iPod when there are cheaper and arguably "better" alternatives?

It has to do with perceived value and branding, which unfortunately isn't determined by just you or any individual, but a bunch of people in the market. So as much as you go on about how people would be blind not to see the value in the 360 or PS3's libraries, the Wii may or may not continually sell extremely well, regardless of your individual opinion. It's been sold out these four months with little to no games that appeal to you, I don't see that suddenly stopping because you say so.

FightyF

Banned
bmf said:
The problem with your assertions is that your point of view is flawed. YOU are the target audience for the PS3 and the 360. The target audience for the Wii is completely different, even if you are the ancillary audience. The target audience for the Wii are those who bought a PS2 for Guitar Hero or another game like that. This audience is not looking for much in the way of better graphics, they are looking for new experiences. This is what the Nintendo execs meant when they said they aren't competing with Sony and Microsoft. Lapsed could tell you more about it, but he's been banned for a while (I think I missed whatever it was he did to get banned).

When the PS3 and the 360 start offering new and unique experiences, then they will be competing for the same audience as the Wii.

It's apples and oranges. They're both videogame systems, but they are otherwise barely related.

I understand that, heck I mentioned it.

That doesn't answer my point, whether or not the Wii will remain fresh after 2 years.

Fight for Freeform said:

That doesn't answer my point, whether or not the Wii will remain fresh after 2 years.

Truthfully, the only way we'll know is to check in two years. Maybe we should shelf the conversation til then?

Joe211

bmf said:

I don't think MS can do that, I mean they only give what gamers want shooters rpg and I'm sure they won't do something like Viva Pinata again since the game bombed

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:
Well, I know of many people and have read about many many so called casual gamers (i.e the kind that has no clue what GAF is) waiting in lines to get a Wii. Yes, its anecdotal, but I have a lot of examples.
Second, the Wii is selling at a much much higher rate than the GC or N64 did. Tell me why that is. You really think its because of Zelda? You really think the Wii has reached about half of the GC's install base in Japan and Europe because of Zelda?

1.I'm sure you do. Just like anyone can come up with anecdotal evidence about anything. The fact is the type of gamers that wait in lines, stay on top of Wii shipments, refresh websites 25 times a minute, call 10+ stores in their area, drive hours if needed and spend a bunch of time on forums for shipment info...or any other hoops you have to jump through to get a Wii at the moment....are NOT casual gamers. They're not your grandpa or your grandma either. They are the hardcore gamers. The millions of Nintendo faithfuls and millions of multiplatform hardcore gamers that have supported Nintendo consoles, even bad ones, in the past. That to me makes a lot more sense rather these guys being your casual gamers. After all why would the guy who takes gaming lightly and plays a game every once in awhile in between so many other things they do in their life all of a sudden act like a high strung nerd on Nintendocaine when it comes to buying a Wii he only plans on playing but every so often? And even if a casual gamer would act like this, would he really stand a chance against the Nintendo fanboys and the multiplatform die-hard gamers that are still out there without Wiis? Think about it.

2.Because the Wii, unlike the N64 or GC has NO competition at a sub-$300 level. It's the ONLY new console that's at a mass-market price. Is the price the only reason why the Wii is selling well? No, no one said that. It's got a lot of hype going on for it at the moment, and a very innovative controller. But beyond that, it's the fact that it's cheap.

TheLegend

Fight for Freeform said:

That's not up to you to decide though. :) I don't think anyone can make that sort of judgement, but going by trends I have a feeling that whether or not it's still "fresh", the Wii will still be selling. I wouldn't say the DS is fresh anymore to me, but can anyone disagree that its sales have been through the roof? Like Segata said though, check back in two years.

jimbo

Banned
Joe211 said:
I don't think MS can do that, I mean they only give what gamers want shooters rpg and I'm sure they won't do something like Viva Pinata again since the game bombed

First of all they are already talking about Viva Pinata 2. They're developing Banjo Kazooie on top of that. They have jrpgs cooking in Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Cry-On.

Not that it matters. MS is not supposed to fill every single genre out there. That's what THIRD PARTY SUPPORT is for.

TheLegend said:
You're making entirely subjective value judgements, which is fine, but you're trying to pass it off as fact. If people truly valued the experience they could get with a 360 for $400, the price would not stop them. Explain why millions of people will pay $300 for an iPod when there are cheaper and arguably "better" alternatives?

Your argument is perfectly valid except for the part where THERE ARE millions of people buying 360's at $400.

You only look at the argument of the 360 from the point of view that people have money and don't think the price is worth it. While I am sure there are people like that, is it really that hard to believe that there are people who CAN'T afford it? I don't get it, do you live with your parents and they take care of everything while you pocket all your income? Well if you do, you need to be made aware there are people who simply can't save $400 for a videogame system. In fact it would actually take $500 which is what you would really need to cover the tax + a game. $700 for the PS3.

To put it in perspective, I make salary and commision. My salary alone is 40k a year and about another 20k for my wife. That's 60k not counting commision. I have not had $500 in my checking account as disposible income since BEFORE Christmas. And I make damn GOOD money. Higher than 50% of the US population actually.

But there are people out there that make $7 an hour folks. They would have to spend half their monthly income(PRE-TAX) for a PS3. Half of their net income for a 360. Who the hell would do that when it would probably mean not eating, not paying your rent, or your utilities?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Truthfully, the only way we'll know is to check in two years. Maybe we should shelf the conversation til then?
IAWTP

Although, if we shelve this conversation, it will be two years before we get to see who gets shattered along with their worldviews.

jimbo said:
First of all they are already talking about Viva Pinata 2. They're developing Banjo Kazooie on top of that. They have jrpgs cooking in Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Cry-On.

Not that it matters. MS is not supposed to fill every single genre out there. That's what THIRD PARTY SUPPORT is for.

Weren't you supposed to be in bed 3 hours ago?

FightyF

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

I agree, that's why I said it's an arguable point. It could go either way IMO, but those arguing against my point don't really have a substantial answer as of yet.

At the same time, juxtaposition this issue of "freshness", and apply it to the other 2 consoles in 2 years, when they do hit mass market prices. Will people still want a PS3 or 360? I think that in this case, it's a bit more reasonable to say that yes, those consoles will remain relevant. Especially when one remembers the fact that they are aiming to be the center pieces of HD living rooms. I think that in 4 years those consoles will still be relevant, the PS3 moreso than the 360 due to BluRay playback (which could be added to the 360 via an add-on anyways).

Fight for Freeform said:
I agree, that's why I said it's an arguable point. It could go either way IMO, but those arguing against my point don't really have a substantial answer as of yet.

At the same time, juxtaposition this issue of "freshness", and apply it to the other 2 consoles in 2 years, when they do hit mass market prices. Will people still want a PS3 or 360? I think that in this case, it's a bit more reasonable to say that yes, those consoles will remain relevant. Especially when one remembers the fact that they are aiming to be the center pieces of HD living rooms. I think that in 4 years those consoles will still be relevant, the PS3 moreso than the 360 due to BluRay playback (which could be added to the 360 via an add-on anyways).

There are way too many variables to try to predict consumer interest that far in the future. Way, way too many.

FightyF

Banned
bmf said:
IAWTP

Although, if we shelve this conversation, it will be two years before we get to see who gets shattered along with their worldviews.

I was thinking the same, over a year and a half ago when, prior to the 360 launch, I predicted that 3rd parties will have to primarily focus development on the 360 and then port it to the PS3, and they would have similar sized marketshares.

As usual it met argument and so forth...

Now...the 360 is beyond the PS3 at this point, but I think the PS3 will increase and match the 360 by 2008 (even if the 360 sells like hotcakes this Fall).

But I don't think we'll have to wait for 2 years. Let's take a look at any price drops this Fall and how they affects sales.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Fight for Freeform said:

In 4 years blue ray players should be sub 100 dollars so no one will care the PS3 has blue ray play back. Just like no one today gives a rats ass the PS2 has dvd play back. Blue ray play back is only an advantage right now while players are 599+ dollars.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Fight for Freeform said:
I was thinking the same, over a year and a half ago when, prior to the 360 launch, I predicted that 3rd parties will have to primarily focus development on the 360 and then port it to the PS3, and they would have similar sized marketshares.

Now...the 360 is beyond the PS3 at this point, but I think the PS3 will increase and match the 360 by 2008 (even if the 360 sells like hotcakes this Fall).

But I don't think we'll have to wait for 2 years. Let's take a look at any price drops this Fall and how they affects sales.

Since the PS3 has launched in NA the 360 has increased its lead. IF NPD numbers come back like predicted the 360 will expand its lead yet again. It is going to take atleast to 2009 and probably 2010 for sony to have a legit shot of catching the 360 in NA. Even if the PS3 trippled its sales in NA and the 360 stayed the same it would be a long time before sony caught up in NA gaining a 200k units a month. Sure sony can catch up WW thanks to japan and europe but it will still be 3rd place in NA for a long time.

jimbo

Banned
bmf said:
IAWTP

Weren't you supposed to be in bed 3 hours ago?

Yeah, but I did what I had to do and now she's happily sleeping like an angel ;)

StevieP said:
What's selling the Wii to people right now? Why is it sold out worldwide constantly, and so popular in the media, and with all mainstream outlets of information? You tell me. (It hasn't the slightest thing to do with its price, in case you were wondering.)

I don't think price is the whole equation, but you can't say it doesn't have anything to do with the Wii's success...it's an important part of Nintendo's strategy.

StevieP

Banned
-ImaginaryInsider said:
I don't think price is the whole equation, but you can't say it doesn't have anything to do with the Wii's success...it's an important part of Nintendo's strategy.

I asked why it was so popular in the mainstream/media... not with us hardcore gamers. I don't think a platform has EVER been such a media darling, and it has NOTHING to do with its price.

jimbo

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:

You do realize 2008 is 8 months from now, right? Sorry but...:lol ...no. Not world wide and not in the US.

Actually since launch the 360 has widened the gap every month except for last month because of the European launch. It will most likely be back to outselling it next month, so the PS3 first has to be able to outsell the 360 world-wide on a regular basis, then you can start talking about catching it.

StevieP said:
I asked why it was so popular in the mainstream/media... not with us hardcore gamers. I don't think a platform has EVER been such a media darling, and it has NOTHING to do with its price.
Depends on what you mean by "mainstream"...price is a factor even for the casuals, but if you mean the mainstream media, I think you'll find a lot of the Wii's media popularity in why the I-pod was intially latched on to.

It's new, it's unique, it's visually appealing...so it makes for sexy fodder in the tech section.

Fight for Freeform said:

Crunch these numbers for me, by month.

360 is a moving target. By early 2008 we could be talking about 15 million 360s. That means PS3 would have to start selling well over a million a month... NOW.

edit:

360 from April through October... that's 7 months, at lets say 333k units per month worlwide (230k US, 100k Europe?). So 2.3 million units through October, let's lowball it and say 2M.

Nov+Dec, with a probable price drop and Halo 3 and GTA4, that could be 2M in the US alone. Add 1M for Europe, fair? 3M WW for those two months?

5.5M through the end of the year. Let's say 9M now, that fair? 14.5M LTD by Dec 31.

PS3 is at what now? No numbers for Europe, I think a little over 1M for the US, less than 1M for Japan... let's be nice and say 3M through March. That calls for 11.5M by Dec 31 to surpass 360 (9 months).

That means an average of nearly 1.3M PS3s each month. It's currently doing, what, 700k per month? 150k US, 100k JPN, and.... who knows about Europe, but I doubt it's 450k. So PS3 monthly averages are going to have to more than double. Absolutely no reason to expect that before October, so PS3 is going to have to have an INSANE, INSANE holiday season.

Insane.

Keep in mind that (I think) I lowballed 360, and I definitely definitely highballed PS3.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Joe211 said:

Peter Moore has said in the past that Viva Pinata has a different sales arch than the other games they have released. It keeps plugging away little by little basically doing the same numbers every month.

FightyF

Banned
jimbo said:
You do realize 2008 is 8 months from now, right? Sorry but...:lol ...no. Not world wide and not in the US.

Actually since launch the 360 has widened the gap every month except for last month because of the European launch. It will most likely be back to outselling it next month, so the PS3 first has to be able to outsell the 360 world-wide on a regular basis, then you can start talking about catching it.

Sorry, I meant that when 2008 is said and done. Ie. after Xmas 2008 sales.

And yes, I did maintain that it would beat the PS3 in the US, tie in Europe and get slaughtered in Japan.

StevieP

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
Sorry, I meant that when 2008 is said and done. Ie. after Xmas 2008 sales.

And yes, I did maintain that it would beat the PS3 in the US, tie in Europe and get slaughtered in Japan.

Stivers%205-5-02%20Crystal%20ball%20download.gif

Shompola

Banned
Xbox 360 and PS3 are simple not selling as good as they should, because of the high price they go for. However, that does not mean that the wii is selling because it is soo cheap. Wii is like Playstation 2, somewhat lackluster games, especially compared to the Xbox 360, so so price and a lot of hype which hasn't slowed down a bit. It will be interesting to see if Xbox 360 and PS3 will break their sub 250k/month curse if they lower the price or not. I highly doubt that more AAA games will do much difference for those consoles, at best, we will see a spike in sales in the month that particular AAA game is released, and afterwards it will be back to the sub 250k/month sales.

All in NA and IMO.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Did you guys know that 3rd parties and first parties hire in-house market researchers to tell them who is most likely to be market leader years later and by how much? Did you guys also know that most of these researchers have revised their forecasts dramatically in the past 3 months?

The industry is changing no matter what. Looks like some of the more hardcore gaming purists are gonna fight every inch of this change which is understandable because change can sometimes be scary. Its useless though believe you me the result will be the same regardless of how much you guys argue about it. Just sit back and enjoy the show.

FightyF

Banned
starship said:
what does that picture mean?

It means Sonic Wii is not a real Sonic game, but that's besides the point.

I don't know what your post is getting at...that's why I didn't respond.

Retailers DO sell consoles at near cost. When I used to work at Best Buy the most they sold the Xbox at cost, and sold the GameCube for $10 profit.

When the 360 launched, I'd be surprised if the retailer made more than $5 for it. Last Christmas though, I think MS did sell it to retailers at a lower cost but didn't suggest the price to drop (as they were in a pretty good position, they didn't need to beat Wii sales as the early adopters were picking it up, and the PS3 was sold out everywhere). Retailers did offer bundles.

And yes, I know the Premium costs $325 to manufacture. So, I didn't see the point you were trying to make there.

Shiggy

Shompola said:
Xbox 360 and PS3 are simple not selling as good as they should, because of the high price they go for.

[...]All in NA and IMO.

At least in Europe you are getting the X360 for 199.99 Euro or for 299.99 Euro. (If people really wanted them, they would buy the Core version too). Still, sales are much lower than those of Wii, a result of its marketing and software library.

(I see that you were talking about NA, but I wanted to point out the situation over here)

Joe211

Agent Icebeezy said:
Peter Moore has said in the past that Viva Pinata has a different sales arch than the other games they have released. It keeps plugging away little by little basically doing the same numbers every month.
yeah and you believe him right? :lol

Agent Icebeezy said:

I wanted to believe that, but Viva's a damn disaster. It's already down to $20 in a lot of places, and that isn't because it's a Platinum Hit.

Top Bottom