• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Pandor

Banned
Still better looking than anything SONY showed at their "conference".
If they show this and other clips for the XSX show in July. .. looking like this?

Show stolen.

Well, I hope they don’t show the game at their conference, because:

So you're saying MS will - at this big xsex 1st party reveal - show PC Sims?

If flight sim is shown - MS are in trouble and getting desperate to show anything... that isn't a console "game" and if that's what they've built it'll be a deader franchise than ACES left it.

Flight Simulator! lol I can't believe that is being used in list wars now.... How many flight hours do you have ace?

Last edited:
I’m hoping this supports Track IR. Unfortunately VR makes me sick.

Game does look beyond incredible, I’m looking forward to becoming an (uncertified) Cessna pilot. One thing I’m curious about is how ATC will work.

Im also going to use this as a flight sim trainer to gear me up for flight school as well.

longdi

Banned
Wow i never play a FS game before.
How complicated and time consumption this going be?
Do i need a flight stick? Or a gamepad is enough.

Solarstrike

I just now started to read bout MFS 2020

JESUS!!!

This fucking game is INSANE!

It's truly the definition of "next generation". As maybe stated earlier in the available information, you can alter the weather while in game. In that, the engine can switch to "real-time weather" (which uses Live data for the entire planet) and the players preference in an instant, while flying or on the runway. For example you take off from Beijing to Australia. The weather may be a bit calm as you lift off but you may prefer to fly through a thunderstorm. Simply press a button (mini menu tab), adjust the cloud layers (there's many) and it'll generate everything. Rain, frost at higher elevation, snow, turbulent winds, even lighting which reflects not only from the outside of the aircraft but inside the cabin.

In one instance, I tried to go through a thunderstorm with a dual turbo prob. Got up to about 21k feet in an attempt to fly over it. The entire plane was shaking nearing the crest (top). It was tough to control with the rapid changes in wind dynamics. The windshield then started to frost up/ice over. I couldn't see a thing. This was a shock to me because i did not expect this level of realism. I then switched to external view. Ice actually accumulates where it should on the planes; flaps, etc. The plane eventually lost manual control and went into a spiral. I thought that was it. Warning sounds beemed loudly through the cabin. Went back to interior view and "zoomed" in to the cockpit controls to see if i could find anything temperature related. This was a challenge as the plane was going down through the storm clouds. There, at the left side panel near the flight stick there were temperature controls (anti-icing). Each for windshield defrost, cabin heat, exterior, etc. I flicked those switches fast as i could. Things started to defrost a bit as i could almost pull out and adjust axis from the descent. But it was too late. The speed of my descent through the storm really didn't thaw the wings in time. It was a ride from hell. Into the sea i went. Next i'm going to try a flight around the Bermuda Triangle. If the devs decide to throw in some vintage World War 2 Grumman TBM Avenger torpedo bombers (Flight 19 December 5, 1945), it would really be something. In short, "historical missions" would be great.

It's truly the definition of "next generation". As maybe stated earlier in the available information, you can alter the weather while in game. In that, the engine can switch to "real-time weather" (which uses Live data for the entire planet) and the players preference in an instant, while flying or on the runway. For example you take off from Beijing to Australia. The weather may be a bit calm as you lift off but you may prefer to fly through a thunderstorm. Simply press a button (mini menu tab), adjust the cloud layers (there's many) and it'll generate everything. Rain, frost at higher elevation, snow, turbulent winds, even lighting which reflects not only from the outside of the aircraft but inside the cabin.

In one instance, I tried to go through a thunderstorm with a dual turbo prob. Got up to about 21k feet in an attempt to fly over it. The entire plane was shaking nearing the crest (top). It was tough to control with the rapid changes in wind dynamics. The windshield then started to frost up/ice over. I couldn't see a thing. This was a shock to me because i did not expect this level of realism. I then switched to external view. Ice actually accumulates where it should on the planes; flaps, etc. The plane eventually lost manual control and went into a spiral. I thought that was it. Warning sounds beemed loudly through the cabin. Went back to interior view and "zoomed" in to the cockpit controls to see if i could find anything temperature related. This was a challenge as the plane was going down through the storm clouds. There, at the left side panel near the flight stick there were temperature controls (anti-icing). Each for windshield defrost, cabin heat, exterior, etc. I flicked those switches fast as i could. Things started to defrost a bit as i could almost pull out and adjust axis from the descent. But it was too late. The speed of my descent through the storm really didn't thaw the wings in time. It was a ride from hell. Into the sea i went. Next i'm going to try a flight around the Bermuda Triangle. If the devs decide to throw in some vintage World War 2 Grumman TBM Avenger torpedo bombers (Flight 19 December 5, 1945), it would really be something. In short, "historical missions" would be great.

What are the crash physics like, or are there any?

Solarstrike

What are the crash physics like, or are there any?

Not yet. I'm correcting this post. I'm not sure if the mechanics are in the SDK yet. Few posts up, there's a brief about it in the link which at least mentions it as a Question from the players:

FS.4.01.jpg

I think ultimately it will be up to Microsoft whether they want to implement damage/realistic damage, etc.

Last edited:
They just released a video on the weather system that uses real life data.

A video of the actual storms, which looks absolutely breathtaking. I believe this will be a game that will have people awestruck like no other game next generation.

And Microsoft Flight Sim continues to be the best looking game I've ever seen...

Words I never thought I'd ever say. Absolutely astonishing what they've done with everything, but then the weather on top of it all...

I hope more games utilize sim aspects. At least for weather and such.

From the vid,

ccuaOGK.png

DQDcU8K.png

PRAJPtE.png

2XDtdp2.png

Skyr

Forget Half Life. This is the game that I will buy VR for. Amazing how good this looks.
Keep in mind tho that VR won’t be supported at launch. They first excluded it completely and said that they will look into it sometime after launch after a huge backlash. So could take a while.

Solarstrike

Some notes here and there. Those who are interested in the game i highly recommend you contact your ISP in due time per an upgrade to your data plan. Many ISP's have 1GB speed available. That should be plenty. It may even be cheaper in comparison to your current plan. You have to call them and inquire about it. With the pandemic across the board and the issues it brings per workforce allocation, they can send an installation kit/upgraded modem/wifi hub, etc. Relatively easy to install. Perhaps in due time, video game Publishers can work together to build their own singular ISP, strictly for us gamers. Something where we don't have to worry about speeds being adjusted for other resources or global needs, etc. Something where each piece of data transmitted is sequenced strictly for gaming related materials. Anyway, onward!

For an average session in this game and due to it's enormous data allocation to and from your system, a few gigs per hour of data consumption (*at this time) is not uncommon. Keep in mind you can either go "Live" in the game whereas as you see other players, real-time weather, traffic, etc. Players I think, are shown as numbers for now. I've yet to see actual names, only numbers. Then again, the world is huge obviously. The entire planet is rendered. Your house? Yes, it's in there. Want to go to Athens and see the ancient buildings of old, you can go there. You can also turn all the Live mechanics Off but the core data of the global map is constantly being transmitted through the pipeline. In this regard, a faster connection is recommended for an optimal experience. *These things are being worked on per efficient functionality whereas all people can enjoy it, regardless of their computer setup.

Currently, the latest game build is ~124.55GB. It is highly recommend to install it to your main/ C: Drive. Make sure you have room. Move other games to your other drives where necessary before installation. The game is constantly being updated. You don't have to, but I had it installed on my 2TB M.2 drive and it wasn't getting proper updates, it seemed. Had texture problems upon load in (pink textures of the ground/asphalt.) Couldn't find a way to "verify game files". Ended up completely uninstalling the game. Ran a CCleaner as well as it's registry cleaner to clear up any fragments of the game. Then, re-installed the game to main/ C: Drive. So far so good in this regard.

Please note also, I'm trying to abide by the NDA as respectfully as I can. My belief is that this game is building interest and it's surely deserving of such, with the utmost respect to it's Creators. The team working on it have done an extraordinary job so far and hopefully I as well as other here, have shown due respect. Some of the basics i have mentioned but that's about it. The foundation is solid. The Community is great. Stay tuned.

Solarstrike

A game pad works good. That said, I recommend the Microsoft XBox One/Windows 10 gamepad. Probably because that's all I use for gaming on PC. I haven't tried any other brands. I do have the "Warthog" flight stick but haven't used it as it needs an update which I've yet to figure out. You will be using the keyboard during flight also but it's user friendly in terms of interface function.

Example: You take can off from the runway, raise gear, adjust flaps, camera selection, and speed with the game pad. Use keyboard and mouse for further camera adjustments, map and navigation, weather, traffic. It's simple but not too simple as to be "arcade-y". If you want to have a full simulator experience, the option(s) are there to chose. Cockpit interior view selection you can adjust console switches with your mouse cursor and also zoom into the console, like most flight simulators. There are switches you will be using which are important for a successful journey. Each aircraft is different. Studying them prior to take-off will help prevent a catastrophic failure into a barn or open sea. Use the analog stick to look around the cockpit or out the windows. Cross-pad adjusts your seat up and down. Mouse wheel adjusts your seat view relative to the console forward and backward. The game will be compatible with flight sticks from most brands, in time. You can bind keys/buttons to whatever you wish.

edit: In the latest build, the controls with a game pad are superb. Almost perfect. Next to no input lag.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Some notes here and there. Those who are interested in the game i highly recommend you contact your ISP in due time per an upgrade to your data plan. Many ISP's have 1GB speed available. That should be plenty. It may even be cheaper in comparison to your current plan. You have to call them and inquire about it. With the pandemic across the board and the issues it brings per workforce allocation, they can send an installation kit/upgraded modem/wifi hub, etc. Relatively easy to install. Perhaps in due time, video game Publishers can work together to build their own singular ISP, strictly for us gamers. Something where we don't have to worry about speeds being adjusted for other resources or global needs, etc. Something where each piece of data transmitted is sequenced strictly for gaming related materials. Anyway, onward!

For an average session in this game and due to it's enormous data allocation to and from your system, a few gigs per hour of data consumption (*at this time) is not uncommon. Keep in mind you can either go "Live" in the game whereas as you see other players, real-time weather, traffic, etc. Players I think, are shown as numbers for now. I've yet to see actual names, only numbers. Then again, the world is huge obviously. The entire planet is rendered. Your house? Yes, it's in there. Want to go to Athens and see the ancient buildings of old, you can go there. You can also turn all the Live mechanics Off but the core data of the global map is constantly being transmitted through the pipeline. In this regard, a faster connection is recommended for an optimal experience. *These things are being worked on per efficient functionality whereas all people can enjoy it, regardless of their computer setup.

Currently, the latest game build is ~124.55GB. It is highly recommend to install it to your main/ C: Drive. Make sure you have room. Move other games to your other drives where necessary before installation. The game is constantly being updated. You don't have to, but I had it installed on my 2TB M.2 drive and it wasn't getting proper updates, it seemed. Had texture problems upon load in (pink textures of the ground/asphalt.) Couldn't find a way to "verify game files". Ended up completely uninstalling the game. Ran a CCleaner as well as it's registry cleaner to clear up any fragments of the game. Then, re-installed the game to main/ C: Drive. So far so good in this regard.

Please note also, I'm trying to abide by the NDA as respectfully as I can. My belief is that this game is building interest and it's surely deserving of such, with the utmost respect to it's Creators. The team working on it have done an extraordinary job so far and hopefully I as well as other here, have shown due respect. Some of the basics i have mentioned but that's about it. The foundation is solid. The Community is great. Stay tuned.
Thanks for the info.

How common are geographical anomalies, and where are they most prevalent/noticeable? That they are utilizing satellite imagery makes me suspect to believe flaws would be all the more glaring. Is the world for the most part consistent with the videos shown, or are they the exception?

Solarstrike

Thanks for the info.

How common are geographical anomalies, and where are they most prevalent/noticeable? That they are utilizing satellite imagery makes me suspect to believe flaws would be all the more glaring. Is the world for the most part consistent with the videos shown, or are they the exception?

If you get really close to the ground, you can obviously see the implementation of the Bing Map system they used because some details are "flat". There's vehicles moving about but they are kinda basic and rendered in low polygons for now. You can adjust All traffic to include boats, other aircraft, civilian traffic, workforce traffic. The building(s) throughout the entire world map are rendered with great detail. Some more than others. Depends on the lighting too. Some things look better at certain times of the day than at other times. The lighting changes with time/real time if you want it to. The detail is obviously in the weather, clouds, lighting, aircraft function, play control (which is superb in the newest build. very responsive even with a game pad), wind dynamics, aircraft details.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

Definitely a flight joystick makes the whole experience more immersive.
Last Flight SImulator I played (like 20 years ago!) had different difficulty levels, so it was accessible.

TheMan

gigabytes of transfer per hour is insane. The cost of next-gen visuals will be huge of amounts of date involved

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm not even interested in this as a game per se, but the visuals and tech in this game are so mind-blowing. I love watching the videos. I'm awed at what I'm seeing with Flight Sim 2020. THIS is the kind of thing we should be able to expect for next gen.

Looks amazing but shouldn't the Cessna's instrument panel be in shadow rather washed in orange?

The instruments are being lit by the instrument lighting. Airplanes have backlit guages, but they also employ orange-red spectrum lighting (warm color so it's easy on the eyes) so pilots can clearly make out knobs and switches at night. Don't really want to be fumbling around and hit the wrong switch.

You can see the instrument lights on in this video. The panel is lit despite it being almost black outside

tryDEATH

Looks amazing but shouldn't the Cessna's instrument panel be in shadow rather washed in orange?

Lol, yeah it definitely should be. It makes it look like there is another light source behind the pilot. There also isn't any dynamic lighting in the cockpit either as he turns the sun light should have the shadows shift, my guess is there still concentrating on the outside environment before coming inside the cockpit as the outside lighting will significantly impact the inside.

so i've never played a flight sim before and i just wanted to ask about how the flight sessions work

would you travel from one country to another in the actual real time it takes to get there, or is there a some sort of time skip in the middle?

or do you stay within the airports of individual countries and fly in real time there?

ToadMan

so i've never played a flight sim before and i just wanted to ask about how the flight sessions work

would you travel from one country to another in the actual real time it takes to get there, or is there a some sort of time skip in the middle?

or do you stay within the airports of individual countries and fly in real time there?

In Flight Sim this kind of thing is usually up to you.... but asobo are a new developer for this series so they may have changed/added/chopped things.

There'll be a set of missions - fly here, do that etc - with a set up (deliver person, deliver cargo, go look for lost hikers or whatever) but they're usually fairly basic. They'll have you flying in bad weather, simulated "in flight" changes so you have to replan routes and so on. They're not really good for learning to fly to be honest - in previous iterations these were kind of clunky if you didn't understand what you're being asked to do.

Unfortunately, without knowledge of the basics (by basics I mean principles of flight, aircraft systems, flight rules, procedures and met), jumping in an aircraft and flying an international flight is an exercise in frustration.

If Asobo have done a good job, the whole process of a long haul flight will be modelled accurately which means it'll take months of reading for a zero hour guy to achieve something like that - flight sim nerds will love it.

If Asobo screwed up and over simplified things, this iteration of FS will either disappear in a week or two after launch because it's neither a game nor accurate enough to be a sim, or it'll need to be easily moddable to put the complexity back in.

To be honest, if you have no or limited knowledge of aviation, the missions are a little bit of a hand hold otherwise it's all dull as dishwater for anyone not already deeply interested in flying.

Sony

Nintendo
My father used to be a pilot. For the last 20 years, he couldn't excersize that profession. I think this + a nice rig to play it on would be a nice retirement gift. That also gives me some years to save for a rig that can run this haha.

LokusAbriss

That looks insanely good. On top of that, you will be able to fly arond the whole planet. Probably not everything will have the level of detail like that, but the possibilitie to discover are crazy.

I wonder if they will offer some kind of career modes or challenges. Like flying normal airline routes, sightseeing planes or island hoppers. While simulations like that give you a lot of options, it sometimes becomes hard to feel entertained for a longer period.

LokusAbriss

The weather simulation is very intriguing. Piloting your little Cessna into a massive hail and thunderstorm might be a fun expierience.

They did not mention anything about multiplayer, right?

PanzerAzel

It’s truly amazing how far we’ve come.

This will lay the foundation for years to come. How much more is needed that mods can’t cover? It looks borderline photorealistic at times, the weather is there, ATC, MP. What more could flight enthusiasts ask for?

Inviusx

Considering the primary market for flight Sims is retired boomers who happily invest thousands on custom sticks and throttles, I don't think shelling out a few flight bucks for planes etc will be an issue. Hell look at Star Citizen, they have an entire player base of cashed up whales willing to blow thousands on the latest ship at the drop of a hat.

If anyone thinks this is a bad move then they misunderstand the market.

Last edited:

Sybrix

I remember playing MS Flight Sim 98, was around 12 years old at the time and took a plane and was trying to fly across an ocean, played that save game for weeks but never got anywhere lol

Never played a Flight Sim since 98 however this game looks amazing and will get it.

What are the flight restrictions? Can i fly from London to New York? Or fly from Paris to Moscow?

sCHOCOLATE

I remember playing MS Flight Sim 98, was around 12 years old at the time and took a plane and was trying to fly across an ocean, played that save game for weeks but never got anywhere lol

Never played a Flight Sim since 98 however this game looks amazing and will get it.

What are the flight restrictions? Can i fly from London to New York? Or fly from Paris to Moscow?
All airports across the globe are being included with a surprising level of accuracy. Yes, you will be able to fly transcontinental and intercontinental.

Top Bottom