• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft integrates Nvidia’s GeForce Now into its Xbox game pages

Topher

Gold Member
Microsoft is integrating Nvidia’s GeForce Now service into its store pages for Xbox games. The integration will allow you to pick between either Xbox Cloud Gaming or Nvidia’s GeForce Now service when you view a game listing on the web.
Currently, Microsoft only lists its own Xbox Cloud Gaming service under “play with cloud gaming” on game listings, so it’s surprising to see the company add Nvidia’s GeForce Now service. At the time of publication, the new “play with cloud” button isn’t available just yet, so it’s not clear whether this is simply a link to the main home page of GeForce Now or whether this deep links and launches the game directly on Nvidia’s cloud gaming service.

Nvidia’s GeForce Now RTX 4080 tier is the most impressive cloud gaming service available right now, with Nvidia even claiming the end-to-end latency beats an Xbox Series X running locally on a 60Hz TV.
Microsoft and Nvidia are no strangers when it comes to cloud gaming partnerships, though. Both companies signed a 10-year deal to allow Nvidia to license Xbox PC games for GeForce Now, including Activision Blizzard titles. Nvidia also rolled out an update to GeForce Now earlier this year that allows members to sync their Xbox accounts and Microsoft Store purchases to the cloud gaming service. You can even stream Xbox PC games through PC Game Pass on GeForce Now.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

the leak was real. still dumb move. (business wise)
How is it a dumb move? Its sneaky from Microsofts side as they effectively transfer the costs to Nvidia since the player will waste their electricity and occupy their servers while Microsoft gets all the money (minus the possible geforce now subscription) for the games themselves since you have to obtain them from them

All it does for Nvidia is that it expands their library a tiny bit and sheds more light that their service is better than xcloud, theyre getting the short end of the stick financially by basically "being paid in exposure" but thats still some value.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Says you? The armchair expert (on all things sausage).

Choice is always a good thing.
Pretty much. All I'm saying is if it's true they might end up turning this into a semi open PC and I'm all for it. Imagine what that does for optimization when there's target hardware you have to aim for as a minimum.

Last edited:
All of this is laying the ground work so that they can attempt to trojan horse their service onto console platforms as competitor services. Sony and Nintendo would be wise to keep their boxes as loss leaders to prevent this eventuality from playing out in courts. It’s just another reason I hate Microsoft. When they can’t win, they try to fuck it up for everyone else. Shitty ass company.

Last edited:

squidilix

And I suppose this is not working with Xbox Series S / X.

Who cares if it's only on PC?

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
the leak was real. still dumb move. (business wise)

Oh noes

Big Cats GIF by NETFLIX

Like I care about a $3T company's pocket

Quasicat

It doesn’t say, but do I need to have a Game Pass tier to play this? I only paid for Game Pass Ultimate for the steaming, but it sucks on my iPad.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I dont know all the angles on this. But isnt this to simply further encourage PC users onto subscription services? I think that much was shown on the recent GP changes. They're clearly seeing PC as a place for growth...

They probably did this because the CMA got so squirrely about the future prospects of cloud gaming with MS owning CoD

feynoob

Banned
They talk about growth, but they clearly have been struggling to find it on PC while fucking up their console share.
I wonder why I am not getting people to buy my food. Its cheap and good. The road might be bad and there might be some rat sighting, but its not that serious.

reinking

Gold Member
They diluted their console brand for Game Pass and cloud gaming. Now they are diluting Game Pass by including another cloud option? One that some would argue works better than their own. I get the sense that they are definitely headed third party even though I still believe they have one more console generation. Maybe bringing games to Steam showed them that there is still a market for Microsoft games even if the console has held them back this generation.

MikeM

Gold Member
So thwir goal is to funnel more potential clients and money away from Xbox to Nvidia. That’s going to go over well long term…

Zadom

I tried GeForce now last year and it was by far the best streaming experience I’ve had. Seemed flawless. A downside for Xbox is that someone would try it and it make the Xbox streaming seem inferior by a lot. It also was superior to PlayStation streaming. I would imagine Xbox and PlayStation can catch up soon though if they mimic whatever technology Nvidia uses.

King Dazzar

Yeah , I think I'm going to sell my Series X now. I'll use the shield for GeForce now.. until I finish building my ITX PC. I still have an Xbox one X.
Ha! I've just gone the other way. I just picked up another XSX for access to my library and BC stuff I miss. Yet to arrive but snagged one for £268. The X1X was the happiest time I had with Xbox.

GFN Ultimate quality does sound impressive and might be a great solution for anyone who only wants occasional access and doesn't want to invest in a high end PC. It also negates any need for faffing (I'm assuming) Not sure I'd want to be renting/subbing continuously.

DavidGzz

I have the ultimate tier of GFN. It consistently blows me...away.

It appears native with very, very minimal input lag. Some games the input latency is actually better than console.

Yeah, naysayers just haven't experienced it or will just hate on it because it is ushering in the age of not owning your games. It's been super impressive for a while. MS needs to get on Nvidia's level.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Microsoft: "You don't need the Xbox console to play Xbox games."

Evangelists: "Yes, because Microsoft doesn't care about selling Xbox consoles anymore. They care about their Cloud gaming services."

Microsoft: "Actually, you don't need our Cloud service either."

Evangelists:

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Sorcerer

So I can only play Xbox gamepass games, and purchased Xbox games on the Nvida side of the app? I cannot play my Steam library or other storefront on an Xbox or firestick? Why would I pay an extra $20 a month for gamepass for that? Doesn't solve the game problem on the Xbox side, just better cloud streaming. Maybe I am misunderstanding?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah microsoft is really smarter than the armchair experts who said MS business choices wouldn't work during the last decade….

Zoom in specifically on this GFN deal, and you’d have to be kinda dimwitted to call this a poor business move.
You need to either buy the game or pay for a GamePass ultimate sub to stream these games on GFN. And it costs MS nothing

Microsoft: "You don't need the Xbox console to play Xbox games."

Evangelists: "Yes, because Microsoft doesn't care about selling Xbox consoles anymore. They care about their Cloud gaming services."

Microsoft: "Actually, you don't need our Cloud service either."

Evangelists:

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

The cloud gaming services exist purely as a means to sell Xbox GP subscription or buy MS games.
You may have a point when MS tells people they don’t need to pay anything for the games.

Ozriel

M$FT
There gaming decisions have been shite. They have only survived because of the money from the rest of microsoft.

The paid, Xbox staff and “experts” were wrong. Gamers all over the world and this forum knew better then them

What does that have to do with this thread, which is specifically focused on the ability to stream purchased or GP games on GeforceNow?

You're yet to explain why you think cloud streaming option is a bad decision in any way.

Kokoloko85

Zoom in specifically on this GFN deal, and you’d have to be kinda dimwitted to call this a poor business move.
You need to either buy the game or pay for a GamePass ultimate sub to stream these games on GFN. And it costs MS nothing

Zoom? Isnt that a bit like Skype… That went really well didnt it lol

Im just saying, Xbox have made plenty of shit decisions that normal gamers could see would fail. And plenty of purchases that failed.

And the same comments would be said, “your not an expert” “leave the business to the real professionals, not armchair experts.”

Kokoloko85

What does that have to do with this thread, which is specifically focused on the ability to stream purchased or GP games on GeforceNow?

You're yet to explain why you think cloud streaming option is a bad decision in any way.

What has this got to do with the thread? Im talking about Xbox decisions not always going according to plan.

I just commented armchair experts have been right many times over the business experts.

I dont know, or care anything about the business deal, just pointing out that the professional experts arent always right with there choices

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Zoom? Isnt that a bit like Skype… That went really well didnt it lol

“Zoom in” as a phrase In this context means ‘take a closer look at’.

I certainly wasn’t talking about the video conferencing software

What has this got to do with the thread?

I just commented armchair experts have been right many times over the business experts.

I dont know, or care anything about the business deal, just pointing out that the professional experts arent always right with there choices

They HAVE made some very poor decisions. Even down to poor marketing and the boneheaded decision to hike prices in territories they were already struggling in.

But for this thread, this GFN seems like the perfect case study for a win-win agreement.
Nvidia gets to beef up their streaming service, and MS gets the ability to sell their games and subs to an expanded audience, with zero costs in streaming.

Kokoloko85

“Zoom in” as a phrase In this context means ‘take a closer look at’.

I certainly wasn’t talking about the video conferencing software

They HAVE made some very poor decisions. Even down to poor marketing and the boneheaded decision to hike prices in territories they were already struggling in.

But for this thread, this GFN seems like the perfect case study for a win-win agreement.
Nvidia gets to beef up their streaming service, and MS gets the ability to sell their games and subs to an expanded audience, with zero costs in streaming.

Hey, Im just saying they made plenty of poort decisions that made Xbox more and more irrelevant. Maybe this works out well for them.

King Dazzar

Yeah microsoft is really smarter than the armchair experts who said Xbox business choices wouldn't work during the last decade….
They've been messing up left, right and centre with Xbox and the brand handling I think has been atrocious. Hardly the success story they were wanting, I'm sure. Regardless of how they end up longer term.

BlackTron

I have the ultimate tier of GFN. It consistently blows me...away.

It appears native with very, very minimal input lag. Some games the input latency is actually better than console.

This is as much a statement on how impressive Nvidia's tech is as it is an insult to local gameplay. Seriously, WTF is going on locally that this could happen?

Top Bottom