• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

is the post firing adam orth defense force rollin yet ? cause i am totally riding that train...what he said was stupid but he i don't think he deserves to lose his job over it, may be a demotion or something but this is taking it too far

Demon Ice

Banned
I was serious, but I was talking about the image, rather than you (who I don't know). When I see stuff like that online, I assume it's a white boy getting his yuks. Sorry.

HAHAHAHAHA

Oh my wow, it's always the crazy threads like these that bring GAF's best and brightest crawling out of the woodwork.

is the post firing adam orth defense force rollin yet ? cause i am totally riding that train...what he said was stupid but he i don't think he deserves to lose his job over it, may be a demotion or something but this is taking it too far
He single handedly ruined Microsoft's multi million dollar advertising campaign for their billion dollar next console project. A firing is him getting off lightly. He'd better check underneath his car for the next few months as Ballmer must be furious.

border

Just one source is not enough for me to fully believe he is fired. Needs confirmation.

Funny, it's the other way around for me. If a website published a story that he hadn't been fired, I would need at least 3 independent sources confirming the news before I believed it.

At this point there's almost no reason to believe he won't eventually be fired (even if he hasn't been terminated at this moment).

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I was serious, but I was talking about the image, rather than you (who I don't know). When I see stuff like that online, I assume it's a white boy getting his yuks. Sorry.

Always nice to see someone supersensitive to racism yet unable to detect his own.

big giant

Banned
ITT: a poster learns that black people are on the Internet too.
I can't deny I have done a good job portraying this :/

I'll just say the image struck me as a dumb joke about a stereotype, which made me jump to conclusions. I still wouldn't be comfortable with a white person posting it, but I'm not about to lecture a black person about what I find distasteful.

RetroStu

Banned
People at GAF really have a falsely distorted impression of the importance of GAF vis-a-vis the general consumer.

Maybe but this forum is huge and influential, just look at how many people in the industry who are members on here. Also this forum has 100,000 members which is far more people than these mega corporations use in market research for example.

UberTag

Add this to the OP this instant. It's brilliant. Let's spread the word.
KuGsj.gif

His tweets came off as super arrogant. As if he was untouchable from the poor, lowly consumers. Internet tough guy got dragged out of his ivory tower and got brought back down to reality.

I won't tap dance on his grave but he'll get zero sympathy from me.

Bleepey

Has there ever been a thread that's blown up as quickly in such a short time? Like this is easily top 3 fastest growing threads including OT threads IMO.

Has there ever been a thread that's blown up as quickly in such a short time? Like this is easily top 3 fastest growing threads including OT threads IMO.

Recently I feel like the PS meeting thread was pretty close. It's ridiculous how quickly this thread has moved though.

Ravidrath

Maybe but this forum is huge and influential, just look at how many people in the industry who are members on here. Also this forum has 100,000 members which is far more people than these mega corporations use in market research for example.

Do not mistake readership for respect. GAF is more of a horrifying curiosity in the industry than anything else.

Yes, there are tons of industry people on GAF, but very few of them are "out" because GAF is a terrifying place to be a developer.

Twitter drama is always entertaining. People cannot wrap their heads around the fact that its public. Combine that with the implied confirmation of Durango always online and you got a stew goin'.

Do not mistake readership for respect. GAF is more of a horrifying curiosity in the industry than anything else.

Yes, there are tons of industry people on GAF, but very few of them are "out" because GAF is a terrifying place to be a developer.

Hey, there were as many posters defending your budget in that sad thread as there were morons totally misinterpreting how much quality fighting game characters cost. :)

Pardon me, that subject came up on the Bombcast and Brad was sort of a jerk about it. Especially considering the comments on his own site on the matter, that was a bit unfair. I think there are more people on GAF informed enough to be defending you guys than other places.

People at GAF really have a falsely distorted impression of the importance of GAF vis-a-vis the general consumer.
But I thought the Wii and iPad were going to flop? Seriously though, this might make MS compromise and offer a Steam-like Offline Mode. That would be a big enough victory for hardcore gamers.

Ravidrath

But I thought the Wii and iPad were going to flop? Seriously though, this might make MS at least compromise and offer a Steam-like Offline Mode.

Microsoft is in full-on hubris mode because they've convinced themselves they've "won" this generation - it's probably too late to change anything this drastic, and they probably have focus groups that told them they're OK with this, and that reinforces the powerful groupthink that led them to this decision.

...They're probably the same focus groups that told them that Windows 8 was a product people wanted, but that's how this stuff usually works.

Please, save me from this reductive bullshit. This news story has thoroughly penetrated the tech blogosphere and found its way onto major news media outlets. I found out about this debacle not from NeoGAF, but from a Forbes piece. If anything, the repercussions of implicitly unveiling a negative feature of a console ahead of its office announcement could possibly force a thorough restructuring of marketing strategies.

Exactly.

I imagine Shinobi saying this quote to the world ;)

Microsoft is in full-on hubris mode - it's probably too late to change anything this drastic, and they probably have focus groups that told them they're OK with this, and that reinforces the powerful groupthink that led them to this decision.

...They're probably the same focus groups that told them that Windows 8 was a product people wanted, but that's how this stuff usually works.
It's not really late to change since it's not about hardware,they can even change this few mins before announcement

I don't think Phil Spencer is arrogant guy btw

Is this the proper recap:

Guy gets fired "for what he said"
Microsoft doesn't deny their stance
(basically hidden contracts with developers have been made and their is now way out without legal impact)

In conclusion, Microsoft wanted to Lie about the impact and hide it as much as they could... Letting people discover it after the initial purchase. To mitigate day one sales.

I hope I'm wrong, but I didn't think it could get any worse. Sure he painted a bad picture, but he was honest... You can only keep something like this so tight for so long until someone along the way slips.

It's not really late to change since it's not about hardware,they can even change this few mins before announcement

If you're not a developer at Microsoft and you think they can easily make Durango support offline play, you literally have no idea what you're talking about.
i know you're reading this Arthur.

Microsoft is in full-on hubris mode - it's probably too late to change anything this drastic, and they probably have focus groups that told them they're OK with this, and that reinforces the powerful groupthink that led them to this decision.

It could be hubris, but it could also be panic. PC and console marketshare are both being eaten into by smartphones and tablets. Windows 8 is a direct reaction to the market shift towards mobile touch devices. Unfortunately both Windows Phone and Windows 8 have not done well.

Xbox Loop is a direct reaction to the market shift towards integrated devices and away from gaming-exclusive consoles and handhelds. It's trying to be a cable box/service provider first and a gaming device second. We'll see how it turns out.

Ravidrath

There's testing that needs to be done, code that needs to be rewritten, etc. It's not impossible, but that's not even the biggest problem.

Microsoft is a gargantuan company run by a stifling bureaucracy. It takes weeks or months to get any kind of strategic decision proposed, let alone approved by the dark council that oversees these things.

I mean, we're talking about the company that still runs XBLA Marketplace with policies developed in the pre-app store world of 2005. And there isn't even any coding involved there - it's all strategic decision-making that has, apparently, never happened or never managed to convince anyone important, and developers have been clamoring that entire time for change there.

If you're not a developer at Microsoft and you think they can easily make Durango support offline play, you literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Technically he's probably not too far off. But, like I said, that's not the problem - it's convincing management to change their strategy after spending months and years planning all this stuff out.

Is this the proper recap:

Guy gets fired "for what he said"
Microsoft doesn't deny their stance
(basically hidden contracts with developers have been made and their is now way out without legal impact)

In conclusion, Microsoft wanted to Lie about the impact and hide it as much as they could... Letting people discover it after the initial purchase. To mitigate day one sales.

I hope I'm wrong, but I didn't think it could get any worse. Sure he painted a bad picture, but he was honest... You can only keep something like this so tight for so long until someone along the way slips.
He may get fired,but no confirmation yet
If anything,Microsoft doesn't confirm it either,that typical respond(not command rumors etc etc) i think is not a good respond for this moment but doesn't mean it's confirmed,even pretty likely.

It's pretty harsh if true, but if you are an employee of a company, especially a large, publicly traded company like Microsoft, anything you do publicly ultimately does affect their image.

And companies like Microsoft takes that kind of thing very seriously, especially when it also has the potential to negatively affect an enormous product launch.

rdrr gnr

I can't deny I have done a good job portraying this :/

I'll just say the image struck me as a dumb joke about a stereotype, which made me jump to conclusions. I still wouldn't be comfortable with a white person posting it, but I'm not about to lecture a black person about what I find distasteful.
Or any person. No one cares about your arbitrary tastes unless you can prove something demonstrably immoral. And if something is a 'dumb joke' then it defeats itself, if you can clearly identify its absurdity. And most mods do a good job of parsing a joke from something wrong.

Radec

jKI4x61.jpg

Man E3 is going to be nuts this year. What a crazy thread. I am just catching up. this is truly some next level stuff.

This is definitely racist though.

I always believe that people who thinks every little thing(such as that picture above) is connected to racism are the ones who are racist.

And I think he's an example of that.

So how hard to make it need over 6 months?really asking.I'm freelancer and working for mobage now btw.
I know i'm using bald guy Avatar but i'm not aegies,in fact my hair is very long
There's testing that needs to be done, code that needs to be rewritten, etc. It's not impossible, but that's not even the biggest problem.

Microsoft is a gargantuan company run by a stifling bureaucracy. It takes weeks or months to get any kind of strategic decision proposed, let alone approved by the dark council that oversees these things.

I mean, we're talking about the company that still runs XBLA Marketplace with policies developed in the pre-app store world of 2005. And there isn't even any coding involved there - it's all strategic decision-making that has, apparently, never happened or never managed to convince anyone important.

Technically he's probably not too far off. But, like I said, that's not the problem - it's convincing management to change their strategy after spending months and years planning all this stuff out.
I don't think it need a long time test about this,and they still have ~6 months to change this,it's pretty enough time i would say

Business>>>anything for Microsoft i think,if they don't change it,i highly doubt it can sold well,then no profit,then that is bad for business

Top Bottom