• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Swifty

He implicitly broke NDA is how I see this. Him being very defensive about a hypothetical feature led people to believe it exists. He shouldn't have ranted about this in the first place. He should have just ignored rumors and played his role assuming that the claims weren't real.

The negative PR is just icing on the cake. Both Legal and Marketing are probably livid.

Yagharek

I wish people were as adamant in fighting the whole "hold multiplayer for ransom" policy instead, which microsoft still has in place. Worse than always on drm, in my opinion.
Bu alas, that's just that, my opinion, right?

They're both evil practices, but we have lost the first stronghold. We must fall back to the Keep and stop them coming any further.

UberTag

I dont think he deserved to lose his job over this series of tweets.

I think everyone at Microsoft who thought an always online requirement for a console was a good idea deserves to lose their jobs.
If that decision costs Microsoft market share and/or revenue, I'm sure they will.
However the verdict is still out on both of those.

Sera O

Banned
I said "serious harm". And I don't think the people creating these meme images care about the harm done on Microsoft's end.

The point is that "justice" has been served now, and people egging on further are being complete assholes.

Anyone losing their job sucks on some level and joking about it is in pretty bad taste.

On the other hand, sure he has a family and stuff. But tons of other employees have families and don't cause damage to their employer or piss so many people off.

There's some truth to shooting the messenger here, but when the messenger manages to convey so much arrogance in limited character tweets like that it's kind of hard seeing any other outcome.

Funny thing about this is it makes me think this guy should just put smileys on anything he ever writes to anyone, ever, in the future. I mean, "Why would I live there ;)" to his friend would have defused this quite a bit.

I just find a old interview(not very old,just 9 months ago) about Microsoft's internet direction
If they really decide required online then it's pretty big change,because i think this interview show Microsoft,or at least Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer doesn't have much confidence to the internet

Microsoft: internet bandwidth issues make cloud gaming a "challenge"
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...andwidth-issues-make-cloud-gaming-a-challenge

Cloud gaming is one of the industry's hottest topics, but for Microsoft, it'll be a long time before it realises its potential.

Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer told news.com "bandwidth issues" were holding cloud gaming back, but agreed with the likes of Gaikai and OnLive on one thing: that, eventually, everything will be delivered digitally.

"Cloud is a huge opportunity," he said. "And someday, yes, someday. But if you look at the internet capabilities today, it's a challenge. Even, forget about games. If you said everybody was going to watch the Champions League Final concurrently via the internet at HD-level quality, the internet can't handle that. And that's just people watching a game. That doesn't include the level of interactivity of a game and a two-way pipe going back and forth.

"So there's just bandwidth issues in terms of metering and things that are out there. So I believe, yes, in the long run we'll land in a spot where there's cloud distribution of all content and Microsoft is clearly invested in that. I like the work that Gaikai does, I play games on Gaikai, and if I get the right bandwidth situation they're actually good experiences.

"But today it's not really up to scale. You're still going to be pushing boxes out to people's houses that they're going to plug into the TV. That's what they're going to use to play their AAA games. And I think that'll be the case for a while. But that's not trying to downplay what Gaikai is doing, because I think that it's great that they're investing in it."

Many predict that Microsoft and Sony will include cloud gaming features in their next generation home consoles, rumoured to be due out late next year.

In the run up to E3 Sony was rumoured to have signed a deal with Gaikai to enable the streaming of PS2 and PS1 games through the PlayStation 3 and maybe PS Vita - although Gaikai chief David Perry denied this when quizzed by Eurogamer.

And last month the Wall Street Journal reported that Sony considered making the PlayStation 4 digital only before deciding to include an optical drive because of internet speeds.

Spencer indicated that Microsoft will include a drive in the next Xbox, saying retail still plays an important role in the sale of video games.

"I would say, and not just for PR reasons, that retail is very important to us," he said. "Retail distribution of games is going to be very important for years. When you go to a Midwest town, there are still people where retail is still the way they buy, even music. There are millions of people who still buy DVDs. And they're going to buy [retail] games and they're going to buy consoles."

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I don't know if I was being clear in my original post. I'm not saying that he didn't deserve to lose his job - maybe he did. It's just high fiving each other over him losing his job doesn't seem like something to be proud of, even on the internet.

Fess

Now hopefully when MS announces the next Xbox, all the bad rumors aren't true and I can buy the system to go alongside my PS4 this holiday. *crosses fingers*
Yup after these reactions I don't think we have to worry about that always-online thing anymore, probably not the no-used-games thing either since they were most likely linked together.

JABEE

He implicitly broke NDA is how I see this. Him being very defensive about a hypothetical feature led people to believe it exists. He shouldn't have ranted about this in the first place. He should have just ignored rumors and played his role assuming that the claims weren't real.

The negative PR is just icing on the cake. Both Legal and Marketing are probably livid.

It's sad that he lost his job, but this won't change anything. He was probably let go for hinting at this "feature" and breaking his NDA. It appears that this "always-online" requirement is real. :(

UrbanRats

I just find a old interview(not very old,just 9 months ago) about Microsoft's internet direction
If they really decide required online then it's pretty big change,because i think this interview show Microsoft,or at least Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer doesn't have much confidence to the internet

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...andwidth-issues-make-cloud-gaming-a-challenge
Hopefully the rumors are just that, then.

Yup after these reactions I don't think we have to worry about that always-online thing anymore, probably not the no-used-games thing either since they were most likely linked together.
I highly doubt this will change anything. They can't just change plans year in the making on a dime. To much invest.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

You have to keep in mind the obvious context: Gaikai being rumored to be a PlayStation exclusive.
(It even says that in your article.)

It was less than a month from when Sony publicly announced the acquisition of Gaikai.

Of course you downplay your competitor when you're in this business. They all do it. So I'm not calling MS out or anything.

You have to keep in mind the obvious context: Gaikai being rumored to be a PlayStation exclusive.
(It even says that in your article.)

It was less than a month from when Sony publicly announced the acquisition of Gaikai.

Of course you downplay your competitor when you're in this business. They all do it. So I'm not calling MS out or anything.
Ugh,i think Sony already bought Gaikai,before the interview(edit:you're right,one month after the interview)
And MS have their own cloud service

Eusis

I highly doubt this will change anything. They can't just change plans year in the making on a dime. To much invest.
Well, it depends on if they had backup plans in case the always online turned out to be a huge failure, which actually seems the most believable: they WANT to do this, and they'll test how far they can go, but if the console takes off slowly because of that they'll just roll out a firmware update, maybe provide all retailers with a disc that'll load the firmware on for new buyers of systems still on shelves, and wipe their hands clean of it. If that was the plan, they could speed it up by just updating the system before shipping out to not need it at all except if a game explicitly calls for it.

Alternatively, they're crazy and put a 3G chip in every console similar to the Kindle, just to verify it's online if it's not connected by wi-fi. But given what you can even do for that for gaming that'd probably just show it's mainly for DRM crap.

border

If Always-Online isn't true, then why fire the guy? Why not just issue a simple denial and apologize for his tone?

Well, it depends on if they had backup plans in case the always online turned out to be a huge failure, which actually seems the most believable: they WANT to do this, and they'll test how far they can go, but if the console takes of slowly because of that they'll just role out a firmware update, maybe provide all retailers with a disc that'll load the firmware on for new buyers of systems still on shelves, and wipe their hands clean of it. If that was the plan, they could speed it up by just updating the system to not need it at all except if a game explicitly calls for it.
That would be nice.

Fess

They can if they want to since the console isn't even announced yet, they might miss the original launch date though but I'd say that it's worth it if they can dodge a bullet like this.

C4Lukins

I don't know if I was being clear in my original post. I'm not saying that he didn't deserve to lose his job - maybe he did. It's just high fiving each other over him losing his job doesn't seem like something to be proud of, even on the internet.

I agree it is a sad thing if true. But even back on page 20 or so, 100 posts per a page of course, I implied he would be fired. Now this thread is as long as E3 presentation threads in under 48 hours, and the negative press is a mess for MS. Not just because of this thread, but because it has grown well beyond a bunch of people commenting on the topic on a specific forum.

There is a lot of angry going on. And it is the sort of angry that you see with Amazon reviews where ME3 gets 2 stars out of 5, or the new Sim City. Only it expands beyond a single game.

Pennywise

If Always-Online isn't true, then why fire the guy? Why not just issue a simple denial and apologize for his tone?

Because it is.
There are way to many indicators.
Besides, even if they decided to bail out, there are probably some exclusive partnerships over this with 3rd parties.
It's not like they could bail out immediatly.

UrbanRats

I dont think he deserved to lose his job over this series of tweets.

I think everyone at Microsoft who thought an always online requirement for a console was a good idea deserves to lose their jobs.
I agree with this.
Let's not lose focus of where the shit stench is coming from.

Sera O

Banned

Hmm. This reads like an effort to curb enthusiasm for Sony's Gaikai. Also, would game streaming and always-online really be comparable in bandwidth required?

I really want the online durango thing to be baseless as unlikely as that looks now. That's not because I have any particular affection for Microsoft or belief that they wouldn't go this route, but because once people accept it as the norm, the erosion is hard to stop.

artist

Banned
People at GAF really have a falsely distorted impression of the importance of GAF vis-a-vis the general consumer.
Really?
Wow. 20+ more pages. Updated list, that you can replace the OP one with if you want shinobi.

Oh and yes, eventually even:

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

Microsoft Press Release:
"We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company. We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."
Come again?

Btw did anyone asked Phil Spencer about this?since he is Microsoft Studios boss

His twitter
https://twitter.com/PeeeThree

Hmm. This reads like an effort to curb enthusiasm for Sony's Gaikai. Also, would game streaming and always-online really be comparable in bandwidth required?

I really want the online durango thing to be baseless as unlikely as that looks now. That's not because I have any particular affection for Microsoft or belief that they wouldn't go this route, but because once people accept it as the norm, the erosion is hard to stop.
I think so,require online means every people buy your console will forced to play anything online(And that's why Diablo 3 and Simcity happened),the amount will a lot more than game streaming since not everyone will play games on Gaikai or Onlive

It's like 2x50 and 100x1

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
4rI2vu2.png

See: First post, entire thread, etc.

The guy single handedly destroyed any positive publicity Microsoft had for Durango and, for bonus points, insulted millions of customers.

the punishment is disproportionate to the crime but it's not anyone's fault really. microsoft has to fire the guy because his tweets became infamous and the internet outrage has taken the form of an unstoppable malicious bully that'll see to it that orth has no peace for a while and probably a hard time finding a new job.

his comments were dumb but i cant help but feel for the guy. unfortunately that's just the dark side of the internet, when you get attention, things happen quickly and forcefully.

FStop7

Banned
Around 2004 MS fired a guy for merely posting a photo online of a stack of G5 Mac boxes being delivered on campus. They may or may not have been intended to become early 360 dev kits. Or maybe they were for developing Office for OSX. Either way, he broke an NDA and MS takes that stuff really seriously. It's not surprising they'd do the same to Sweet Billy.

orznge

Banned
It would be better if their servers are hacked and had to be shutdown. Think of all the angry new Xbox owners that can't play their shiny new console.

that wouldn't be cool

it would be cool if someone cracked that shit because people would be able to play their shiny new console

edit: well actually yeah it would be cool lol

It would be better if their servers are hacked and had to be shutdown. Think of all the angry new Xbox owners that can't play their shiny new console.

Or it would be best if Microsoft doesn't launch with such a shitty console and they wise up before then. If this whole ordeal didn't prove to the industry that gamers are not interested in 'always-online', then not only will this guy have lost his job for nothing, but it will also still be seen as a candidate for consoles of the future.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Good work Shinobi and gaf. I don't feel bad for him. He has shown a history of being a tool, so hopefully this is the wake up call he (and others) needs.

Yagharek

that wouldn't be cool

it would be cool if someone cracked that shit because people would be able to play their shiny new console

edit: well actually yeah it would be cool lol

Think it through though in terms of consequences.

If the servers go down, the bad PR nightmare might force change.

If the console can be hacked, they will double down on the DRM and make things even worse.

border

Because the system hasn't even been announced yet.

At this point it's kinda stupid for them to pretend like they aren't cooking up something.

You can still issue a denial without acknowledging the existence of the Durango. "Microsoft does not support a mandatory internet connection for its home entertainment platforms". Or since they are comfortable discussing their "product roadmap", then simply say that "Our home entertainment product roadmap does not involve devices with mandatory internet connections".

It speaks volumes that Microsoft's official apology was only for the tone of his statements, and not the content of them.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yeah if any of us tweeted about sensitive, unannounced products that our companies were working on, there is no question that we would be fired. Now add in the fact that this is one of the largest companies in the world, one of their most visible consumer products, and the guy posted a motherfucking "DEAL WITH IT" meme to insult people who are concerned about an unannounced, unpopular rumored aspect of the product...

This guy will be lucky if he isn't facing a team of Microsoft's lawyers in court. If I were him I would be thanking god that I was only fired.

Stop for a second and imagine posting "DEAL WITH IT" in response to YOUR customer being upset about something he heard about your product.

bakedpony

Think it through though in terms of consequences.

If the servers go down, the bad PR nightmare might force change.

If the console can be hacked, they will double down on the DRM and make things even worse.

That's right. Perhaps then, their arrogance will be reduced.

GhaleonEB

Somebody who deserves his job and has a family of their own can take it. It's pretty obvious he's too busy being an asshole on twitter to people who purchase his product indirectly or no. My sympathy for certain individuals retaining their job pretty much ends when they insult their customers. If they can't be empathetic to customer concerns I don't want them touching or having input on products I may or may not buy.

Eh. I'm not arguing that he should not have been fired. I think it's reasonable for MS to let him go after this; dude should know better and has caused the company a huge embarrassment. I was talking with my wife earlier today, I could make one tweet right now that would both get me fired in a heartbeat. The difference between me and this guy is I know to keep my proverbial mouth shut.

But I also see this as a guy going to work one day, coming home, saying stupid stuff on Twitter for a bit, and then not having a job the next day. Not sure if he's married, but it could mean a wife and kids he's supporting who could be in trouble now. Over some stupid Twitter posts. I just can't be so cold as to not empathize with that, it's an ugly turn of events in your life. I don't wish that kind of hardship on people whose crime is stupid Tweets.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wonder how many people have lost their job through twitter by now, damn. Really sucks for the guy but his comments were pretty clearly a bad idea and idiotic as hell.

Or it would be best if Microsoft doesn't launch with such a shitty console and they wise up before then. If this whole ordeal didn't prove to the industry that gamers are not interested in 'always-online', then not only will this guy have lost his job for nothing, but it will also still be seen as a candidate for consoles of the future.

This will all be forgotten long before Durango launches. But if their servers got hacked on day one and no one could play their games? That would be a fantastic and epic catastrophe. Maybe just epic enough to make Microsoft stop the insanity of always on-line.

GloveSlap

This debacle plus the Sim City stuff will at least give Microsoft one last chance to come to their senses. Assuming they were ever going to do online-only of course.

damidu

well the only good thing to come out of this, microssoft wont dare to release an online-only console after seeing the backlash. (if they had such a plan to begin with)

Terrell

Well that's a business decision, doesn't mean you can't have some empathy for the guy.

I empathize with victims. This is like asking me to have empathy for EA and Maxis over the SimCity debacle. Portraying Orth as a victim, given that this started with him being antagonistic and basically broadcasting that on a public forum, doesn't really scream "victim" to anyone, and rightfully so.

Absolutely! Not the right place to be an insulting, non-professional either when a product consumer relationship is at stake.

Twitter is always online.

You jinxed it, here comes the whale.

I am not mocking him getting fired, just saying that I don't have sympathy for him. It's unfortunate, but nobody got him fired but himself.

Disregarding accountability is a growing trend.

It's beyond his control to frame the narrative of what he said, it will exist forever now. And the narrative that's been established is that we have an actual employee confirming gamer suspicions about MS' derision towards its gaming consumers and being openly antagonistic towards the public at large, which includes consumers, for holding a negative opinion about a consumer-unfirendly business model. Companies don't like wasting money on PR damage control just because someone can't control what they say in public on the internet. And even still, the damage is done and not everyone is placated with an apology.

Yeah if any of us tweeted about sensitive, unannounced products that our companies were working on, there is no question that we would be fired. Now add in the fact that this is one of the largest companies in the world, one of their most visible consumer products, and the guy posted a motherfucking "DEAL WITH IT" meme to insult people who are concerned about an unannounced, unpopular rumored aspect of the product...

This guy will be lucky if he isn't facing a team of Microsoft's lawyers in court. If I were him I would be thanking god that I was only fired.

Stop for a second and imagine posting "DEAL WITH IT" in response to YOUR customer being upset about something he heard about your product.

Yes. Losing a job is terrible, but frankly if I was his boss, I would fire him. It would be unforgivable.

It's clear from the official Microsoft response that the next console will be always-on, or is currently planned to be always-on. Perhaps they will alter some elements of how it works now, but its clear they plan to have a 100% internet enabled device.

The argument as to why this is a bad idea has been well rehearsed, I'll just add another notch on the chalkboard to say it means I cannot own the next Xbox unless I move house.

border

Can hackers really sustain a DDOS attack for any extended period of time? At worst they'd probably take down XBL for 30-40 minutes before Microsoft threw up their defenses.

What would be really hilarious is if the servers just completely died without hacker intervention, as was the case with Diablo and SimCity.

artist

Banned
Another closure in this thread. Remember this guy?

Also interesting (assuming this is the same awa64):

I would really like the people accusing Sunhi's GIF to contain homophobic slurs, please point it out. Throwing out baseless accusations as such, which are highly sensitive in nature, wont go unnoticed.

I would request the mods to take action on the accusers if they fail to present proof of the accusation, it's GAF's rep on the line and I highly take offense to anyone calling us out (falsely) like this.
It was user "awa64" who alleged that homophobic comments and sexual slurs have been directed at Gies. And the post he linked to was Sunhilegend's .GIF file.

These kinds of allegations are serious because he goes on state GAF don't enforce their own TOS.
I'm still waiting for awa64 to point out the "homophobic slurs" and "sexual slurs directed at Microsoft."

awa64
Banned
(Yesterday, 01:59 PM)

Thank you based mods.

Takuya

Banned
This will all be forgotten long before Durango launches. But if their servers got hacked on day one and no one could play their games? That would be a fantastic and epic catastrophe. Maybe just epic enough to make Microsoft stop the insanity of always on-line.

If they go through with it, I wouldn't be surprised if Anonymous pulled off something.

UberTag

This debacle plus the Sim City stuff will at least give Microsoft one last chance to come to their senses. Assuming they were ever going to do online-only of course.
well the only good thing to come out of this, microssoft wont dare to release an online-only console after seeing the backlash. (if they had such a plan to begin with)
Will speak volumes if they stubbornly push ahead with "always online" anyhow given all that's happened now, won't it?

Perhaps Kudo can dress it up into something indispensible.
Or perhaps he won't need to and the Durango will just be absurdly priced.

Top Bottom