• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Animator

Is there a recording of the surface reveal event this morning? I want to see the adobe portion but youtube has been failing me.

I am not going to lie, but this is what keeps me from buying almost every laptop and tablet PC out there. But then again, it's been a while since I've used one of those.

Same here. They could have at least put HD5000 (forget Iris/Iris Pro at this point) graphics in there, especially if they're comparing the Macbook Air to it.

Otherwise, it looks like a solid device. It fixes almost every shortcoming I saw with the Surface Pro 2.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Christ, placing an order at the MS store is always a pain in the ass. But it's done! Hopefully mine gets here before August.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Messing around with the i5 now. Quick impressions:

The new keyboard "backsnap" thing is CRAZY nice. I can't express how much more stable it makes the whole configuration. Combined with the kickstand, I finally feel completely comfortable using a Surface Pro on my lap. Awesome.

I don't know how I feel about the screen. 3:2 ratio feels a bit off, and I haven't had a chance to do game testing with such a weird ratio, but I'll be sure to soon. The resolution being higher is nice, I guess, but I don't notice it too much.

The size is also weird. It *feels* more like a laptop now, and I sort of relished the Surface Pro 1/2's cool "mini" feel. The thinness is great, though. (Why'd you get rid of the dark metal finish, though?! Ugh.)

The new trackpad is fantastic. It's a real trackpad! Not that nonsense on the old Type Cover. Also, for some reason, my new type cover smells EXTREMELY strongly of, like...glue, or something. I hope that fades away soon. >.>

Other than that, it feels pretty similar to my Surface Pro 2 in terms of everything else. I don't have much to say about the pen stuff because I'm an engineer and never used the damn thing in the first place.

Wait, how'd you get one?

kr2t0s

Can Feep or anyone else talk about the pen itself? Since the SP3 is no longer using wacom - how does the new stylus compare? Does the 256 levels of pressure sensitivity feel like a downgrade?

I'm very worried that from an art stand point that the new SP3 feels worse than SP2.

RdN

I'm in love with this thing's design. So cool.. But this price, man.. I can't justify something as expensive as this.

Totakeke

JA71VgD.png

Will be interesting to hear his thoughts on the new pen.

0wuaH8I.png

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/why-surface/for-creating

Izuna

Banned
Yup, ordered from the US store. I will have to pay additional tax and duty on this thing which sucks, but whatever. If anything it will still come up to about £50 cheaper and two months faster to my hands.

Now to cancel that UK pre-order when I get the chance...

EDIT: With tax it comes up to just £1020!!! Yay

Totakeke

With the bold, I think I'd much prefer the N Trig now. This shit infuriated me on the Wacom display. Having a battery might suck, but hell this won't.

One question though, do we know if the button on the back functions as an eraser?

Finally found the source of the quote.

The erase button turns your pen tip into an eraser, so you can edit notes as you work without interruption. Click once to instantly open OneNote, even if your Surface is asleep, and notes are automatically saved. Double-click the top of Surface Pen to instantly capture and save a screenshot.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/download/presskits/surface/docs/SurfaceAccessoriesFS.docx

ksdixon

Hopefully the bluetooth is only needed for the OneNote clicking integration. Previous N-trig digitizers didn't need bluetooth to work at all.

I know SPro 1 and SPro 2 won't have the 'click erasler to wake Spro into OneNote' feature that's built-into the N-Trig Pen; and that the N-Trig Pen probably won't be backwards compatible with those devices. But can't artists take their SPro 1/Spro 2 Wacom pens and use them on their SPro 3? It's the pen that's changed, not the SPro glass/pen tech inside, right?

Pooya

I know SPro 1 and SPro 2 won't have the 'click erasler to wake Spro into OneNote' feature that's built-into the N-Trig Pen; and that the N-Trig Pen probably won't be backwards compatible with those devices. But can't artists take their SPro 1/Spro 2 Wacom pens and use them on their SPro 3? It's the pen that's changed, not the SPro glass/pen tech inside, right?

nope, and yes the digitizer behind the panel is different now, it won't work anymore.

The charger is NOT the same. It's better now! Here's a pic:

cool, I hate the first one, it never snaps in right away.

JA71VgD.png

Will be interesting to hear his thoughts on the new pen.

0wuaH8I.png

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-...e/for-creating

lol at that ad :\

I am not going to lie, but this is what keeps me from buying almost every laptop and tablet PC out there. But then again, it's been a while since I've used one of those.

Yeah that's equivalent to a gtx 460ti. I can barely run a decent game on my new laptop with similar specs. If you want a good laptop,get the Razer Blade at $3000!

Surface Pro is definitely more expensive than what I got my Acer Aspire S7 for, and my $1200 ultrabook is way more competent than the $1500 range Surface.

strata8

Yeah that's equivalent to a gtx 460ti. I can barely run a decent game on my new laptop with similar specs. If you want a good laptop,get the Razer Blade at $3000!

Surface Pro is definitely more expensive than what I got my Acer Aspire S7 for, and my $1200 ultrabook is way more competent than the $1500 range Surface.

Where did you get an i7/256GB S7 for $1200?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Posted?

Microsoft Said to Back Off Plans to Debut Smaller Surface

Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella and Executive Vice President Stephen Elop decided that the product in development wasn’t different enough from rivals and probably wouldn’t be a hit, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans weren’t public. Engineers had been working on the device and had planned to unveil it as early as today at an event in New York, two of the people said.

Instead, the company removed any references to Surface devices based on Qualcomm’s processors from the event and unveiled Surface Pro 3, an upgraded version of its pricier Windows-based tablet, which uses chips from Intel Corp. (INTC) and features a larger 12-inch screen. Microsoft is still working on smaller versions, Panos Panay, who runs the Surface business, said in an interview after the event. Panay declined to provide details on future products.

I'm Hulk Smash angry. On the plus side, maybe one day we'll get to see a smaller, x86 version with a proper pen.

Feep

Banned
Cool, but what about the size of the actual power brick? Is it the same?
The same.

Can Feep or anyone else talk about the pen itself? Since the SP3 is no longer using wacom - how does the new stylus compare? Does the 256 levels of pressure sensitivity feel like a downgrade?

I'm very worried that from an art stand point that the new SP3 feels worse than SP2.
I dunno. I'd just wait for Gabe's review on that one.

Feep

Banned
Well, bad news...my first foray into gaming wasn't a great one. Transistor has around nine preset resolution options...both 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 were failures, cutting off part a significant part of the screen. 1440x900 was working, but still wasn't perfect (the pause screen did not fully cover the game screen). I suspect it's going to be a struggle on this thing.

Will do more tests in a few days. Still on vacation. = P

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Well, bad news...my first foray into gaming wasn't a great one. Transistor has around nine preset resolution options...both 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 were failures, cutting off part a significant part of the screen. 1440x900 was working, but still wasn't perfect (the pause screen did not fully cover the game screen). I suspect it's going to be a struggle on this thing.

Try Diablo 3 if you get a chance <3

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This SP3 is getting closer and closer to my ideal computing device. I've been very tempted with SP1 and SP2 but didn't pull the trigger. I know I don't objectively need this SP3, since I have tablets and a desktop, but it's pretty awesome.

Mairu

Shitty. Considering the frequency of display driver updates on the SP2 I'm less than optimistic about the gaming outlook on the Pro 3.

Izuna

Banned

This will make me cancel my pre-order. Thank you for testing...
How does CIV 5 work with 1080p?

Posted?

Microsoft Said to Back Off Plans to Debut Smaller Surface

I'm Hulk Smash angry. On the plus side, maybe one day we'll get to see a smaller, x86 version with a proper pen.

While I'm just as angry about it, I trust Elop's reasoning and decision to cancel the device.

After all, he has experience with the launch of devices and tablets specifically, that flop on the market.

Then again, it was said that Nokia wouldn't launch a tablet that isn't unique enough and they released the 2520 anyway. I'm really fucking angry about the lack of the small Surface.

Can't you use 1920x1200 with scaling disabled or with keep aspect ratio ?

Then you would have black bars

Totakeke

While I'm just as angry about it, I trust Elop's reasoning and decision to cancel the device.

After all, he has experience with the launch of devices and tablets specifically, that flop on the market.

Then again, it was said that Nokia wouldn't launch a tablet that isn't unique enough and they released the 2520 anyway. I'm really fucking angry about the lack of the small Surface.

Oh burn.

Then again they couldn't have possibly used the messaging they did yesterday saying you don't need two more devices anymore if they also had the mini to unveil. Journalists would have a field day being confused. Not that you'd care, I understand. Panos did say they are still working on a mini device though.

I always said Nokia's line should be the 'low end surface' solution.

Surface should be an Atom 8" priced low, under $400
Surface Pro should be what it is now, with maybe $100 off the price at each level IMO

Lumia Surface should be the RT tablets, aimed at the <$250 market

Also, it kind of stinks that some of the premium features of other tablets are not present in the Surface/Pro line.

jelly

A Surface Mini is pointless without Office substantially redesigned for touch like the iPad version. They were wise to not go through with it right now. They also need time to sort out the app store for RT devices which is terrible. The rumour that they are merging Windows Phone and Windows RT might be the time to release the Surface Mini.

Top Bottom