• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

A Surface Mini is pointless without Office substantially redesigned for touch like the iPad version. They were wise to not go through with it right now. They also need time to sort out the app store for RT devices which is terrible. The rumour that they are merging Windows Phone and Windows RT might be the time to release the Surface Mini.

Andrew Cunningham wrote an article on Ars this morning saying that Microsoft's Surface Mini is the iPad. Only available with an Office 365 sub! Even if you've already bought a single PC license for Word on Windows.

Subitai

Now, what will Dell, Lenovo, and ASUS counter with for $299-$399

I'm still pretty satisfied with my ASUS transformer book T100. You know just streaming videos and playing compatable PC/Steam games.

If I made more money, I'd definitely be budgeting for a Surface Pro 3.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
There are apps for that on iPad and Android. And a "desktop" is an archaic concept on a tablet.

yea first, i couldnt give two shits if "desktop" is an archaic term. Want something not archiac, fine, I have a NAS device that I like to hit remotely, I can't do that on an iPad. I UNC patch all the time to end users "desktops" and "laptops" i do it to "servers" too. None of which can be done on an ipad.

Drive maps, oh wait, there's an app for that, fucking great, call me when I can actually go to the file system on the ipad and view said file.

In windows, I A) dont need some stupid app B) i can drag and drop, view, rename the file and do other fancy things like copy and paste and generally just move it around anywhere I want without need an app.

You could picture the mini looking exactly like that right there.

jLJ4r4Ll.jpg

What could've been (other than a bad photoshop comparison).

QPMkL0P.jpg

Pooya

Still can't believe how badly Asus messed the VivoTab Note 8 up. Thanks again for making me aware of it. I might going to risk it anyway, but I wish I new if my Bamboo pen works on it.

If synaptics stylus wasn't so shit in dell vp8 it could have been a pretty good choice too. galaxy note 8 is probably better for note taking than either right now, it's cheaper too, built far better with wacom. (on second look, it's not cheaper exactly...)

Curious if an NTrig pen could work on VP8.

coldfoot

Banned
yea first, i couldnt give two shits if "desktop" is an archaic term. Want something not archiac, fine, I have a NAS device that I like to hit remotely, I can't do that on an iPad. I UNC patch all the time to end users "desktops" and "laptops" i do it to "servers" too. None of which can be done on an ipad.

Drive maps, oh wait, there's an app for that, fucking great, call me when I can actually go to the file system on the ipad and view said file.

In windows, I A) dont need some stupid app B) i can drag and drop, view, rename the file and do other fancy things like copy and paste and generally just move it around anywhere I want without need an app.

When the said app is free or 99 cents it's not an issue. Plus you can always use android if you want network share support on an OS level.

BTW, surface mini already exists, it's called the dell venue 8 and it's far more reasonably priced. With the price of this tablet you can get a MacBook Pro/Windows ultrabook + an ipad mini or nexus 7.

The surface pro is useless to those who don't use photoshop with a pen,

dem

I know they moved the button because of the new keyboard magnets, but really, even the placement is redundant, and could cause problems if you need to swipe.

Yeah I agree

The Windows button is pretty useless. I use the charm swipe pretty much exclusively.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So I just heard from a person I trust when it comes to Microsoft matters that Surface Pro 2 manufacturing has already ceased in order to make the switch to Surface Pro 3.

Interesting...

So I just heard from a person I trust when it comes to Microsoft matters that Surface Pro 2 manufacturing has already ceased in order to make the switch to Surface Pro 3.

Interesting...

could be a good excuse for me to snag a 'laptop'. haven't had one since college, still really dont have any use atm, but <$600 is enough for impulse buy on sexy tech :3

NeOak

Still can't believe how badly Asus messed the VivoTab Note 8 up. Thanks again for making me aware of it. I might going to risk it anyway, but I wish I new if my Bamboo pen works on it.
You mean the "Penabled" BS tech from Wacom?

I've used the SP2 pen in the VT Note 8 just fine.

Bamboo pen doesn't work on the SP2 either.

And for the record, seems to be the same tech in the Galaxy Notes anyway.

You shouldn't be. It would have sucked now, both in terms of HW and SW.

What will end up being released will be a much more viable product.

I want to see proof. Talk is cheap and while they're busy improving their device, others are already on their 2. Gen and about to release their 3rd Gen devices. First gen devices are going to suck either way (the first gen iPad and iPad mini sucked really bad), but you have to get them out at some point to get a foothold in the market.

IronChef

Banned
A nice upgrade, but I still think this tech has 1 or 2 more steps to go before it matures into something I would buy with no regrets.

The obvious being missing out on Broadwell and a truly fanless and ventless design. Those vents still make me nervous (structural integrity, dust build-up)

Not to mention the software ecosystem to take advantage of a touch interface on Windows 8 machines isn't quite there yet. That special version of Photoshop doesn't look complete, and the N-trig runs into questions of compatibility with other software like Corel Painter.

Hopefully all of this will be addressed in the SP4.

Adding the covers to the prices would be a win and go a long way to garnering more interest. I really plan on using this as a laptop replacement for the next few years and just can't justify anything below a 256 GB option. $999 is a no-brainer but $1300 is a tough pill to swallow. To add insult to injury, I will also have to pay additionally for the type pad. I'm hoping that with my wife working as a teacher she will be able to get a discount.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
When the said app is free or 99 cents it's not an issue. Plus you can always use android if you want network share support on an OS level.
Yea android doesnt exist in my world. And as I said, having to get an app to do something is asinine. Also you ignored all the other scenarios i just gave you.

You work fine on a tablet, good for you. There are those of us that do more things than browse the web, send and receive emails, and draw.

again, lol. I use it all the time, works great with my photography. Its called a mouse.

BTW, surface mini already exists, it's called the dell venue 8 and it's far more reasonably priced. With the price of this tablet you can get a MacBook Pro/Windows ultrabook + an ipad mini or nexus 7.

Is there Eclipse or Visual Studio or Unity3d app on iOS or Android ?

Raistlin

What is 'AC' WiFi?
It's the new hotness for the WiFi's - the consumer level iteration after 11n.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac

Why?

Wacom is higher quality and more compatible with my software.

*hugs SPro2*
The compatibility could prove to be an issue, I'll grant you that.

However calling Wacom 'higher quality' is premature. Before assuming, you should probably give it a test or look for reviews with the particular software in question.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=112768552&postcount=452

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You mean the "Penabled" BS tech from Wacom?

I've used the SP2 pen in the VT Note 8 just fine.

Bamboo pen doesn't work on the SP2 either.

And for the record, seems to be the same tech in the Galaxy Notes anyway.

Bamboo Pen does work for SP2, I use it all the time.

The compatibility could prove to be an issue, I'll grant you that.

However calling Wacom 'higher quality' is premature. Before assuming, you should probably give it a test or look for reviews with the particular software in question.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=112768552&postcount=452

I have researched. It doesn't work with Paint Tool SAI at all from what I've read.

ksdixon

Serious, if strange, question:

In leui of having certain apps, should part of MS's initial set-up ask users to toggle-on certain sites, which would then create Start Screen pins?

Seems like a great way to get around not having apps and get people used to Metro IE.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I want to see proof. Talk is cheap and while they're busy improving their device, others are already on their 2. Gen and about to release their 3rd Gen devices. First gen devices are going to suck either way (the first gen iPad and iPad mini sucked really bad), but you have to get them out at some point to get a foothold in the market.

the question is "has the surface1/2 sold enough and/or have enough demand for a mini variation to be viable?" not "how fast can we get a foot hold into the market" you can't just compare the ipad to the surface. ipad being a content consumption device and surface aiming for both content consumption and creation.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
These are computers so I'm not sure I get the intense focus some have with MS's market success with this device if the question is really whether its a quality device or not
(and it looks like and has a history as quality device)

Is there Eclipse or Visual Studio or Unity3d app on iOS or Android ?
And xamarin.

Agreed though. Seriously considering this to buy as a light dev machine. Don't have a Windows machine at home or work and I'm getting rusty.

And I'd use it as a tablet too.

Bamboo Pen does work for SP2, I use it all the time.

Be careful with the "Bamboo" moniker. Wacom uses it fast and loose these days (as with the "Intuos" moniker). Bamboo Feel IT pen works with SP2, but pens from other Bamboo line does not.

I have researched. It doesn't work with Paint Tool SAI at all from what I've read.

Switch to Manga Studio 5/Clip Studio Paint. It's a better version of Paint Tool SAI based on same brush engine, and it has native MS Tablet API support.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got a chance to watch the Panay Presser. I love my Pro 1, but I would love the 3. Panay does a great job that's for sure.

So last time I looked into the surface they had a model that only ran apps from the windows App Store and a second model that could run most PC programs. When you buy a surface 3 can you install say, steam out of the box and play games?

dem

So last time I looked into the surface they had a model that only ran apps from the windows App Store and a second model that could run most PC programs. When you buy a surface 3 can you install say, steam out of the box and play games?

The surface pro series are regular pc's

So yes.. You can install steam

Animator

Decided against getting SP2 since I know I will always have that "maybe I should have got the sp3" nag behind the back of my head and preordered an SP3 after work. It will suck waiting a month for it, I wish they shipped earlier. :(

Falcs

Banned
Fuck me... Anyone seen the Australian prices?

The cheapest model is $979.
The best is $2279.
Gotta love that Australian Tax... :(

Top Bottom