• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Deku Tree

I use my one-pound tablet as an e-Reader a lot of the time. Sp3 is over 2lbs right? I wonder if it would feel heavy after a while.

zeeaykay

For those who are wondering, the student discount works now. Not sure about the graduation code, but I was able to get mine with both... i5 256 for 1250 with a type cover and tax. Pretty satisfied!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The Microsoft online store doesn't even have the Surface Pro 2 anymore. It's just the RT Surface 2 and the Pro 3.

All models are $50 more in Canada too. Still waiting on the drawing experience reviews before I consider getting one in any case.

Totakeke

For those who are wondering, the student discount works now. Not sure about the graduation code, but I was able to get mine with both... i5 256 for 1250 with a type cover and tax. Pretty satisfied!

What do you mean both? Last I checked with the discount alone (no promo code) it'd cost me 1286 for sp3 i5 256GB with type cover without tax.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Microsoft online store doesn't even have the Surface Pro 2 anymore. It's just the RT Surface 2 and the Pro 3.

All models are $50 more in Canada too. Still waiting on the drawing experience reviews before I consider getting one in any case.
oh god you're right

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I was going to cop a Surface Pro 2 when the price dropped ;_;

Still a chance of sales at non-Microsoft store retailers I suppose?

Dead

well not really...yet
Im wavering between the 256GB with 4GB or 8GB of memory. It's a $250 difference, not a deal breaker, but that cost would cover the Type Cover, and a part of the docking station..not sure what to do

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Why would you want to use them on a tablet? What advantage would that give you over using them on a laptop?

That it's also a tablet? You put it down on a desk and attach the keyboard when you want to work, when you want to read a comic or digital magazine or browse the net on the couch you pick it up and use it as a tablet. It means not having to own 2 devices.

Really most of this stuff is self evident.

Im wavering between the 256GB with 4GB or 8GB of memory. It's a $250 difference, not a deal breaker, but that cost would cover the Type Cover, and a part of the docking station..not sure what to do

Same. I think I'll be ok with the 4GB version but then again PS files use a lot of RAM. It's a big jump in price.

8gb. Gives you more room in the future. I felt the 4GB on the SP2 wasn't enough for me. But that's me.

the question is "has the surface1/2 sold enough and/or have enough demand for a mini variation to be viable?" not "how fast can we get a foot hold into the market" you can't just compare the ipad to the surface. ipad being a content consumption device and surface aiming for both content consumption and creation.

And yet it's easier to create all kind of content with the iPad than it is with the Surface RT or Surface 2.

And yet it's easier to create all kind of content with the iPad than it is with the Surface RT or Surface 2.

iPads are typically advertised as, well, just the iPad, whereas the Surface is always shown with the keyboard and kickstand, as well as the OS just being much better suited to productivity as a whole, even the RT.
Yeah, I know you *can* get a keyboard/stand accessory, but it's not a "default" accessory.

Totakeke

Just read a forum post that made me realize Surface Pro 1 was released only slightly more than 15 months ago. 15 months for two iterations, that's so fast. No way your old Surface Pros are even near obsolete in terms of compute power today.

Just read a forum post that made me realize Surface Pro 1 was released only slightly more than 15 months ago. 15 months for two iterations, that's so fast. No way your old Surface Pros are even near obsolete in terms of compute power today.

There's only about a 20% CPU performance difference between the i5-3317u in the first gen surface and the i5-4300u in the 3rd gen surface

Difference obviously comes in terms of battery life and design, but actual "power" is pretty much the same for every day use. Kind of shows that the Surface Pro was probably about 6 months early to market. I always personally felt the Surface RT was 5-6 months late to hit its mark (Should've been released right when it was revealed), and that CPUs weren't mature enough for a device like the Surface Pro until Haswell. Would've made more sense if MS released the Surface RT in June-ish 2012, then the 2nd iteration + Surface Pro around June-July 2013. Would've capitalized on the newest processors as soon as they were available for the Pro and would've capitalized on the tablet market with RT before everybody had given up on tablets being able to be productivity devices (aka around the time 4.1/jelly bean released).

Dead

well not really...yet
To be honest, it feels like this is the first true Surface Pro and the first 2 were just initial prototypes that got a retail release lol. Third time's the charm.

I'm shocked at how thin they got it, while making it bigger AND reducing the weight. And a total 0 - 150 degree angle kickstand? And an actually decent track pad on the type cover?

If MS could have kept the Surface Pro in the oven a bit longer and released this as the first version. Oh boy.

Somebody tell me how much of a difference the i7 would make from the i5 if I wanted to do some heavy video editing. The price jump between the two is pretty huge (especially here in Aus), but I only buy a new comp once every 5 years.

Izuna

Banned
I really, really hope that gaming works on this machine. If games like SF AE can still use 720p without any issues or GW with whatever native aspect this machine has I will be happy.

The Surface Pro 2 has the perfect gaming performancefor what I want (New Vegas etc.) but I am just so worried. I hope I find out before my pre-order gets finalised and shipped.

Totakeke

Magnets, and ways to guarantee losing your pen eventually.

http://www.wpcentral.com/6-ways-attach-surface-pen-surface-pro-3

Oh and there's an exclusive navy blue type cover at BestBuy. Couldn't decide between Cyan and Purple before, but this seems better than those.

ROHLT8I.png

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...=6728113&productCategoryId=pcmcat242000050002

iPads are typically advertised as, well, just the iPad, whereas the Surface is always shown with the keyboard and kickstand, as well as the OS just being much better suited to productivity as a whole, even the RT.
Yeah, I know you *can* get a keyboard/stand accessory, but it's not a "default" accessory.

Last time I checked, none of the Surface tablets came with the keyboard as default accessory. The keyboard is just as official as all the licensed 3rd party keyboard for the iPad and I bet there are more iPad users with a keyboard than Surface users with one.

Nero3000

There's only about a 20% CPU performance difference between the i5-3317u in the first gen surface and the i5-4300u in the 3rd gen surface

Difference obviously comes in terms of battery life and design, but actual "power" is pretty much the same for every day use. Kind of shows that the Surface Pro was probably about 6 months early to market. I always personally felt the Surface RT was 5-6 months late to hit its mark (Should've been released right when it was revealed), and that CPUs weren't mature enough for a device like the Surface Pro until Haswell. Would've made more sense if MS released the Surface RT in June-ish 2012, then the 2nd iteration + Surface Pro around June-July 2013. Would've capitalized on the newest processors as soon as they were available for the Pro and would've capitalized on the tablet market with RT before everybody had given up on tablets being able to be productivity devices (aka around the time 4.1/jelly bean released).

There is no way Surfae RT or any windows tablet could have been released earlier as Windows 8 was not finished at the time.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood

Unless I'm misunderstanding something on the website, don't all 256GB models come with 8GB of memory?

solarus

I know better technology is always around the corner but I really wanted broadwell to be in the next surface pro and can't see myself dishing out so much money for hardware that is still based on haswell. I can only imagine that the broadwell battery life would have been glorious.

Blackhead

Redarse
Last time I checked, none of the Surface tablets came with the keyboard as default accessory. The keyboard is just as official as all the licensed 3rd party keyboard for the iPad and I bet there are more iPad users with a keyboard than Surface users with one.

Cmon dude. 'Licensed 3rd party iPad keyboards' (wtf does that even mean? There aren't any lightning dock keyboard keyboards) aren't just as official as Microsoft's first party keyboard cover.

Paganmoon

So shipping (in Sweden) will start late August, wondering if Broadwell gets released late 2014, will we see a SP refresh pretty soon after? Might just wait for a SP4... hmm, looks really neat though.

Azulsky

So shipping (in Sweden) will start late August, wondering if Broadwell gets released late 2014, will we see a SP refresh pretty soon after? Might just wait for a SP4... hmm, looks really neat though.

Part of me is inclined to believe the i7 models are delayed because they might be broadwell parts. Intel keeps saying Broadwell will show up later this year which makes me inclined to think they are actually syncing that with a MBP refresh

Eventually it will have DDR4 and SATAExpress too but you have to keep waiting.

The memory frequency is actually something I would like to know because the HD4400 performance leans heavily on it.

Paganmoon

Part of me is inclined to believe the i7 models are delayed because they might be broadwell parts. Intel keeps saying Broadwell will show up later this year which makes me inclined to think they are actually syncing that with a MBP refresh

Eventually it will have DDR4 and SATAExpress too but you have to keep waiting.

The memory frequency is actually something I would like to know because the HD4400 performance leans heavily on it.

I'd be happy with lower TDP/more performance, so just Broadwell parts is enough for me.

Also all versions of the SP3 have shipping date late August for Sweden on the Microsoftstore, but that could just be cause we're tier3 when it comes to Surface.

Just feels like, if Broadwell really is coming late 2014, MS jumped the gun on releasing a refresh of the SP, SP2 released just last fall, new SP3 now, and say SP4 Nov/Dec 2014, or January 2015?
Too soon
Executus

Unless, as you theorize, SP3 i7's are Broadwell parts.

Long shot but are there any crestron programmers reading this thread that have attempted to do their work with a pro 2?

Edit: Visiontools impressions would also be good. Feel free to comment if you work with AMX as well.

Totakeke

I dunno about you guys, but once you have battery life that can last one day, there's just not as much of a necessity having a lot more even though it's nice. Also it's likely you'll never get enough power with these devices so it's forever a catchup game.

As a percentage for each of the total that have keyboards, probably not.

Considering they are now competing against laptops and not iPads so much anymore(they've given up), Microsoft should come up with some better pricing/combos for the keyboard

Azulsky

I dunno about you guys, but once you have battery life that can last one day, there's just not as much of a necessity having a lot more even though it's nice. Also it's likely you'll never get enough power with these devices so it's forever a catchup game.

Well its a case of what you are doing and how much battery life you have then.

10 hrs web browsing is not the same as 10 hours using design software.

But yeah 1 business day is a good target for battery life.

coldfoot

Banned
That it's also a tablet? You put it down on a desk and attach the keyboard when you want to work, when you want to read a comic or digital magazine or browse the net on the couch you pick it up and use it as a tablet. It means not having to own 2 devices.
The disadvantage of owning an ultrabook + an ipad mini or nexus is far less than owning a 1.8lb "tablet"

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The disadvantage of owning an ultrabook + an ipad mini or nexus is far less than owning a 1.8lb "tablet"
Browsing on a tablet where I have access to my chrome extentions is really really great. It's also a lot faster than the mini. Even just for browsing and definitely for scrolling through long Pdfs. Oh and it's way better for touch screen steam games. It's also a way better portable TV. Essspecially thanks to those chrome extentions like hola unblocker with Netflix. Oh and multitasking is way better. And note taking. And art. I could go on.

StudioTan

But you asked why someone would want to do work on this instead of on a laptop. Now you're saying that they should own 2 devices because you think it's better. Why? This weighs less than a laptop and is more versatile. I'm not seeing the disadvantages.

There is no way Surfae RT or any windows tablet could have been released earlier as Windows 8 was not finished at the time.

Windows RT and Windows 8 could've easily been released separately. Sure, it might not've made the most sense from a cohesion standpoint, but it would've given the Surface a fighting chance in the tablet market. The app store may have started out even more barren than it was initially, but it's not like it had much on release outside of Office anyway.

Having worked in retail at the time, I can tell you first hand that tablets pre-Nexus 7 were misunderstood and seen as useless by the vast majority of people that wound up buying them. More than half of the non-ipad tablets my store sold would get returned because "It can't run office". When the Surface first got unveiled in June 2012 that was still true, but by the time it released in November, people had given up on tablets working like that and accepted them as oversized versions of their phones. Microsoft really missed their window of opportunity with the surface. They could've dominated the non-ipad market, which would've also wound up making the Windows store more viable as an app store more quickly.

At the end of the day, all of the parts used in the Surface RT were available in June when it was announced, so the only thing holding it back was the OS like you said. If MS really wanted to push, they could've done it.

Top Bottom