• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

AEREC

Anyone having issues with the Marvell wifi card disappearing from their surface pro 3?

A few times so far when Ive returned to the surface it will show network disconnected and act like there's not even a network device. It doesn't show up in device manager until I rescan for new hardware (or reboot).

After researching a bit seems like this was an issue on the SP2 as well.

Draper

So since Chrome sucks on this thing, is everyone just settling for IE? I miss my Google hangouts which is apparently not compatible with it.

Returners

So since Chrome sucks on this thing, is everyone just settling for IE? I miss my Google hangouts which is apparently not compatible with it.

No i'm using the High DPI version of Chrome. Seems pretty good. Though I had to do the registry -> change to Touch Optimized UI then back in flags to get it to work.

Disabling DPI scaling did nothing for me.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Anyone having issues with the Marvell wifi card disappearing from their surface pro 3?

A few times so far when Ive returned to the surface it will show network disconnected and act like there's not even a network device. It doesn't show up in device manager until I rescan for new hardware (or reboot).

Yes, I had this happen at the beginning right after doing the firmware update, except it wouldn't even let me install the driver. I ended up doing a refresh instead of trying to fix it since I didn't have much installed yet. After a refresh it worked.

RJM77

My SP3 was plugged in but not charging. After googling, seems this was an issue on previous Surfaces. I shut it down and now it won't turn on. So far my first experience with a mobile windows device hasn't been very good.

My SP3 was plugged in but not charging. After googling, seems this was an issue on previous Surfaces. I shut it down and now it won't turn on. So far my first experience with a mobile windows device hasn't been very good.

Did you do the day one update (including firmware update)?

It was designed to fix the problem with it not turning on reliably.

maeh2k

I don't think it's the same problem the previous models had. In those cases, the issue was with the power plug. It was possible to plug it in, without getting it to charge. Second generation devices added a light to the power plug to show when it's charging. For the Pro 3 they completely redesigned the power plug.

RJM77

Did you do the day one update (including firmware update)?

It was designed to fix the problem with it not turning on reliably.

Let it sit for 15 minutes and it turned back on, but started running through the initial set up again. After that finished it put me on the desktop with only the recycle bin showing. It couldn't find any folders or programs/apps.

I went to restart it and saw that it wanted to restart and install updates. It's now back to normal and charging.

Hopefully that was a total fluke.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I decided to try out the SP3 in the mall today and I have to say I'm impressed with the strides N-Trig has made. A few years ago when I tried N-Trig it was a joke. Not so much anymore.

But I'm still unclear as to what software it is and isn't compatible with. Like, I love that my Surface Pro 2 works with everything, but that bigger drawing area is tempting. I've heard they've tried to get it working with Photoshop and the like but I have no idea if that's just the newest ones or if it supports older ones (ex. I use CS 5.5). Also, if it does work with programs like Paint Tool SAI now I've no idea if they work well, or just work.

I know it just came out today and all, but has anyone tried these or have a complete list of compatible software/quality of compatibility?

PG2G

Think that is one of the things the firmware update addressed. I have heard of work around, just don't remember what they are.

Everyone make sure you go into Windows update and get the firmware update

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Playing around with Zbrush.

kitten01k4j3n.jpg

The device does get pretty warm, my hand was starting to sweat after a bit.

I decided to try out the SP3 in the mall today and I have to say I'm impressed with the strides N-Trig has made. A few years ago when I tried N-Trig it was a joke. Not so much anymore.

But I'm still unclear as to what software it is and isn't compatible with. Like, I love that my Surface Pro 2 works with everything, but that bigger drawing area is tempting. I've heard they've tried to get it working with Photoshop and the like but I have no idea if that's just the newest ones or if it supports older ones (ex. I use CS 5.5). Also, if it does work with programs like Paint Tool SAI now I've no idea if they work well, or just work.

I know it just came out today and all, but has anyone tried these or have a complete list of compatible software/quality of compatibility?

This list it pretty comprehensive but expect it to get updated, as of a few days ago many of these wouldn't work with pen pressure such as Zbrush.

If I were to buy a Pro 3 and load up my Creative Suite 5 on it, would navigating Photoshop etc be kind of impossible or are there some kind of driver I could get to mitigate the tools becoming the size of ants?

StudioTan

If I were to buy a Pro 3 and load up my Creative Suite 5 on it, would navigating Photoshop etc be kind of impossible or are there some kind of driver I could get to mitigate the tools becoming the size of ants?

CS5 would be pretty tiny, CC2014 has a 200% UI scale option. Honestly I didn't find it unusable for painting when it was at the default UI scale but it was pretty finicky to select some stuff with the pen. The good news is the pen calibration is pretty good across the entire screen compared to tablets with a Wacom digitizer which tend to have offset problems the closer to get to the edges of the screen.

Love my sp3 but I have two issues.

1. WiFi sucks coming out of sleep. Can't seem to connect to my network.
2. Now I don't even have the option to put it to sleep at all? It's just gone. Tapping the button brings up the power down screen. Lame.

Enron

Banned

It was also an issue on the SP1. I had the same problem with mine right after i bought it. I kept having to go into the device manager, disabling the marvell card, reenabling, and then restarting. Finally i got fed up and swapped it for another Surface and it was fine on that one. Looks like the Marvell continues to be total crap.

It was also an issue on the SP1. I had the same problem with mine right after i bought it. I kept having to go into the device manager, disabling the marvell card, reenabling, and then restarting. Finally i got fed up and swapped it for another Surface and it was fine on that one. Looks like the Marvell continues to be total crap.

I've been having the same issue. It became unusable so I had to return my first unit to the MS store and they gave me a replacement. I still have the same issue occasionally on my second unit. Having a constant network issue on a tablet is the true definition of an Achilles heel for such a device.

Canon

Banned
Got one, no discount. Might return it since it's hurting my eyes with how small things are.

Also, how do I make this thing work similar to Windows 7? And is there a stand or something for portrait mode?

Thanks

Factory reset my SP3 and the sleep option is back. Not sure what happen but at least I know it's software.

Edit. Well issue resurfaced when rebooting the device. Sleep is no longer an option. Will open a ticket with Microsoft later today.

Confirmed that my connected sleep issues only occur after I install visual studio. Definitely opening a ticket.

Schlep

Going on my first plane trip tomorrow with the SP3. Rented a couple movies for there and on the way back; really excited to see how this works on a tray table.

Completely unrelated, the new stand makes typing without the Type Cover so much easier. I feel like my wpm while typing using the on screen keyboard is nearly the same as using an actual keyboard. The future(tm).

JaggedSac

Confirmed that my connected sleep issues only occur after I install visual studio. Definitely opening a ticket.

Its a known issue. Its the hyper visor. Paul Thurrott linked to a solution on his site. I'd link to it, but I'm on my phone and lazy.

Its a known issue. Its the hyper visor. Paul Thurrott linked to a solution on his site. I'd link to it, but I'm on my phone and lazy.

Guess that explains why it happened to me after installing VS 2013 then.

Also, seems that recent wireless driver update fixed the disconnect upon waking up from sleep mode issue.

EDIT: Also figured out my wireless AC signal issue. Seems I had to force my AE to output a 5GHz channel as it was defaulting to 2.4GHz. Seems to be pretty stable so far.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Yes. I am having same problem. And I don't see option to put it on sleep. wtf?

ksdixon

Originally Posted by f0lken

BTW People, use Bluestacks, is an Android emulator that got updated last month and it works wonderfully on a SP1, On the 3 it must be an excelent experience for all those tablet apps that W8 lacks

BlueStacks fucked my SPro1 up. It would only install the BlueStacks program by installing it's own sourced graphics driver, and something went really wrong. I think it killed Windows Updates or modern apps or something, can't quite remember, but I had to do a Refresh and start again.

Animator

StudioTan did you have a SP2 before this?

I am finding the SP3 slower in most apps compared to SP2 and it is not the screen res, but the lack of the high performance mode I suspect.

For example in Zbrush there is extremely noticeable brush lag if you do quick strokes one after another. To clarify, the stroke itself doesn't lag but the beginning of the next stroke does. I have been trying to turn off the live undo history to see if that's the one causing it, but I am not sure if you can turn it off. There is also crazy stutter when panning with that game character sculpt that comes with Zbrush. I am not sure why that's happening either but my money is on HP mode again.

Also when I installed the new wintab drivers pressure sensitivity stopped working in Sketchbook pro for some reason, I will reinstall it in a bit to see if that fixes it.

Photoshop CC 2014 runs great for drawing. Some heavy filters will kill it though. I had a 2k x 2k file with one layer and some scribbles on it. Ran the new path blur and it got stuck on "calculating" for a good five minutes. This is definitely not a mobile workstation.

MS needs to unlock that high performance mode back on.

Last page I said this and want to make a correction. The brush lag I was seeing was not because of SP3 but because I forgot to turn off that stupid "Flicks" crap under gesture settings. So the machine was thinking I was trying to do gestures when sculpting.

Zbrush runs great now, no brush slowdown.

Future

So I downloaded and installed the windows updates (28 of them). During installation I noticed it was pretty hot. When it auto restarted, it came on for a brief sec telling me it was gonna continue, then it shut down again and showed a pic of a thermometer on the screen. :/

It was just standing on the kickstand so it's kind of worriesome that something as simple as installing an update can heat this thing up so much

This WiFi issue was so bad that I finally gave up. I disable and uninstalled the network card and started using a Netgear USB micro adaptor I had lying around. No more connection issues. No more headaches until they get this issue resolved.

Draper

After reading all the issues you guys are having, I don't think I want one any longer... yikes! That really sucks

It is far from a perfect product. Hardly anything is intuitive on it. The touchpad is small, terribad and hardly recognizes any gestures. Most things look like shit due to the resolution, which makes gaming kind of an oddball too. The constant switching from desktop to 'surface' is a headache. The keyboard feels cheap and overpriced. I hate that the start button takes you to the stupid tile mode which makes any refining/deep setup digging a headache. Apps are limited. All text is small because of the rez, and zooming/adjusting causes more issues than it's worth. I've had several hard locks. The pen is neat, but writing in OneNote is still not good In a traditional sense- it's hard to write small and for it to register it. There are a dozen of neat concepts, but it lacks a streamlined experience. It's a concern that in it's 3rd iteration, I'm experiencing all this stuff. I could honestly keep going, but yeah, at $1200 for the entire package, I expect a better product. All my complaints are just my own and I acknowledge that, and I'm sure there's a workaround for most, but that shouldn't be needed- it should just be a better experience. I'm sorry if I'm shitting on it too much, but I was really psyched for this product and I'm left somewhat disappointed.

Bought the MS Arc Touch Mouse (Surface Ed.) today. I had doubts about the scroll wheel/middle click functionality, but it actually works really well. The haptic feedback is neat, and flattening the mouse to turn it off is genius.

After reading all the issues you guys are having, I don't think I want one any longer... yikes! That really sucks

Zero issues here, my SP3 works perfectly.

Apath

Bought the MS Arc Touch Mouse (Surface Ed.) today. I had doubts about the scroll wheel/middle click functionality, but it actually works really well. The haptic feedback is neat, and flattening the mouse to turn it off is genius.
I also use the Arc Touch SE, and while I like, it I am far from satisfied with it. You will lose connection and have to go into the bluetooth settings for it to re-connect moderately often. The touch wheel will occasionally stop working (in only one direction -- very annoying) and you'll have to turn the mouse off and back on again.

Top Bottom