• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Animator

Yeah thanks, I figured it out right after posting. The stupid thing is I had to go into that section to turn on the touch controls and didn't even notice that setting, for some reason I thought it was a toggle somewhere. Much easier to use now.

How is the brush performance and general performance in PS?

Yeah, I was wondering if that was the problem or if it was just not the right link...

**Typed from my Surface Pro 3!!!**

Hah! I was wondering the same thing just now.

Okay so mine came and a few quick impressions.

Love the larger screen!

The track pad is nice and feels nice but haven't used it that much, so not much to say on that.

Everything feels pretty snappy, going back and forth between screens and whatnot.

I installed Clip Paint Studio and so far seems good. I noticed there was kind of a lag when on TabletPC but when I switched to WinTAB the lag was gone but it feels like the pressure sensitivity increased or something. It's kind of weird. I'm an amateur with it all so someone with more experience can probably give better impressions on the art front.

One thing that is kind of annoying to me is the pen. With the battery at the top, it feels off balanced when trying to use it. I'd rather have a heavier pen with better balance but oh well, I'll get used to it, I am sure.

So overall it feels really nice and I like it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
How is the brush performance and general performance in PS?

I haven't tried anything heavy yet but I did a 3000x3000 canvas and did some sketching and it seemed great to me. Lag is minimal and I honestly don't notice it while I'm drawing. The cursor does lag behind the pen more when you lift it off the surface so it might take some people a little bit to get used to that but it wasn't an issue for me.

The pressure curve is still a bit off to me, somewhere between very light and medium pressure there is a jump. I know they said there is going to be a way for us to adjust that. I also want some way to assign key commands to the pen buttons, then I wouldn't need anything else for Zbrush work.

Animator

I haven't tried anything heavy yet but I did a 3000x3000 canvas and did some sketching and it seemed great to me. Lag is minimal and I honestly don't notice it while I'm drawing. The cursor does lag behind the pen more when you lift it off the surface so it might take some people a little bit to get used to that but it wasn't an issue for me.

The pressure curve is still a bit off to me, somewhere between very light and medium pressure there is a jump. I know they said there is going to be a way for us to adjust that. I also want some way to assign key commands to the pen buttons, then I wouldn't need anything else for Zbrush work.

Great to hear. I only tried sketchbook pro 2015 so far and it works great.

Gonna install art dock later for zbrush see how it works.

Lebron

How rich are you that you can just go out and random purchase a $1000+ device?

Are you Lebron James for real?
I'm good with calculation.

Anyway, this is quite snappy. I apparently took the last one they had at BB. I can already tell I made the right choice. I can now retire my Galaxy Note 10.1 and touchscreen Asus W8 Laptop in one fell swoop.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Great to hear. I only tried sketchbook pro 2015 so far and it works great.

Gonna install art dock later for zbrush see how it works.

I have Zbrush installed but the N-trig site seems to be down so I can't get the newest drivers :/

Returners

A couple of hours in. Really love the Type Cover 3's ability to stick to the bottom, night and day in terms for typing.

Fan is still kicks in though. I'm installing Diablo 3 right now and I can hear it.

The right of the device (in landscape, bottom in portrait) does get hot.

The new dimensions does still make it difficult to hold. I feel much better holding it in portrait, which I never did with my SP1.

harSon

Banned
I'm starting to feel a little better about my purchase. I had no need for one considering I have a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook that's in excellent shape, and an iPad that I had got for my college graduation two years ago.

I was a bit sick to my stomach when I saw $1200 flash across the register screen, but the thing is so damn slick and sexy.

harSon

Banned
My only complaint about the hardware is the fact that the lack of a viable storage option for the Surface Pen is a bit shameful. Would have been amazing if it slid into the device like the stylus does with the 3DS.

Anyone know the cost of the insurance for the surface pro 3 from the Microsoft store? And this is for the individual insurance and not the bundle

So jelly, really wish MS fixes the lag in photoshop at some point (and it's not just a case of weak hardware for the number of pixels). I just read Gabe's from PA update on his sp3 review and it's great to see the surface team constantly trying to improve the experience.

StudioTan

My only complaint about the hardware is the fact that the lack of a viable storage option for the Surface Pen is a bit shameful. Would have been amazing if it slid into the device like the stylus does with the 3DS.

The pen is thicker than the tablet! LOL

Apath

You can technically open anything in OneNote by opening the file in whatever and then printing to OneNote.
Anyone know the cost of the insurance for the surface pro 3 from the Microsoft store? And this is for the individual insurance and not the bundle
Believe is was $150.

Animator

No thanks.

The pen is thicker than the SP3. I don't want a smaller shitty pen just so it can slide into the device, it is terrible ergonomics wise.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So jelly, really wish MS fixes the lag in photoshop at some point (and it's not just a case of weak hardware for the number of pixels). I just read Gabe's from PA update on his sp3 review and it's great to see the surface team constantly trying to improve the experience.

It's surprising just how agile MS is these days.

PG2G

I picked one up, love it so far but will probably take it back because it seems like there is some sort of scratch or dead part of the screen. Oddly enough out happened the first fine I used the pen lol

Gotta drive a few miles to get the dark blue Type Cover. Everything else tho...

Pp5Nlep.jpg

Yo we need more pics up in here.

Dead

well not really...yet
Is it still recommended to fully charge before turning on? I forget if that still matters for shit.

DopeyFish

The N-Trig pen out of box destroys the wacom pen from SP2

Outside of the weird cursor... it's not even close.

I doodled a bit and my pen was drawing exactly how i intended... which is something i could never do on the SP2... and that was with the basic calibration...

Did anyone notice the price drop of the SP3 at the MS store website? I may need to visit the store for a refund of the difference.

If that's the education discount, disregard.

Dead

well not really...yet
Fuck me, theres some kind of piece of dirt buried under the display. thought it was a dead pixel, but you can see it when its turned off

gonna have to go exchange mine :(

Navy Bean

The Surface 3 looks awesome. But, like the Zune (lol) it's probably a great device that was released way too late to grab attention. When my laptop craps out though I'll definitely consider if it's not a dinosaur.

Got the 256GB i5 w/ the black cover.

Trackpad is a night and day difference from the craptastic one the SP2 had. The 3:2 display makes using W8 so much easier.

Had the fan go on high when installing Office and VS 2013, wasn't as loud as I thought thankfully at full.

Loving being able to have the keyboard at an angle, so much easier to type that way.

harSon

Banned
The pen is thicker than the tablet! LOL

They need to think of something. That little stick on pen loop on the keyboard is tacky as fuck.

Having used it for a while, my impressions:

+ The build quality on this thing is pretty fucking impressive. The Xbox One's massive size is definitely a byproduct of the RROD, because it's clear Microsoft is capable of some technological wizardry. The thickness of the thing is ridiculous, as is the weight.

+ The screen is beautiful, and I think they hit the sweet spot in terms of its size. It's not too big to be a nuisance, and it's not too small to impede on productivity.

+ The battery life on this thing seems to work as advertised. I charged it up this morning, and it's been holding up pretty damn well thus far. Definitely a huge step up from my current laptop.

+ Windows 8.1 and everything application related I've thrown at it thus far has ran beautifully. I'm not a Windows 8 hater, but having used it on a touch screen now, I do admit that it shines when in that capacity.

+/- The 'lapability' is definitely improved with the new stand, but it seems to work better when you're in obtuse positions. It doesn't feel quite right when I'm seated erect with the laptop on my lap.

+/- In terms of productivity, they keyboard is merely passable. It's not world class, and it's not ass either. It doesn't impede on productivity, but I still find myself missing a few keys every once in a while.

- The keyboard still feels flimsy when using it, especially when you have it in the new mode. You can feel it bending beneath your fingers a bit when typing.

- The touch pad, while light years better than its predecessor, could still use a ton of work. Hell, just looking at it, there's a ton of space to make it larger within the current design/layout.

- The screen is fucking beautiful, but the lack of optimization for a lot of apps is annoying. Chrome is a blurred mess unless you turn off the scaling DPI, and if you do, the UI is microscopic.

- They needed a more elegant pen storage solution, especially considering it's something that comes packed in with the device and is an integral aspect of the overall experience. The little stick on pen holder for the keyboard is pretty trashy and tacked on in comparison to the rest of the device. I'm not exactly sure what they could have done (something magnetic maybe?) but something needed to be done.

- I'm not sure I'll ever use it as a dedicated tablet. While it's incredibly sleek and small for a laptop, I think it's profile is a tad bit too large for casual tablet use. Plus the device does get a tad bit warm. But then again, I find my current iPad 3 to be a bit too large and heavy for my liking.

I haven't really had a chance to try any games or use something like Photoshop yet, so I can't really comment on those aspects of it yet. I never owned a Surface before this, so I can't really make a direct comparison between the Pens between the different SKUs, but it's certainly impressive to me thus far and seems to work as advertised. Also, I'm a fan of the Arc mouse. It's pretty good for casual laptop use, and it's incredibly slim profile is definitely appealing when storing it in a laptop bag.

I'm definitely jealous of kids going to college now, because having something like a Surface (or a tablet in general) would have been pretty fucking awesome between the digital note taking and electronic text books.

Returners

Someone contacted me via PM asking D3's performance on SP3. Thought i'll post this here as well.

I have the i5 8GB RAM model.

It's pretty good. Using the in-game FPS counter I'm getting 25 to 30 FPS at most times. Saw 15 lowest at Act 3 Bridge Crossing.

Running it at 1680x1050 with the other settings turned to lowest.

Keep in mind that the SP3 is a 3:2 resolution. So D3 has black bars on top and below the screen.

DopeyFish

The Surface 3 looks awesome. But, like the Zune (lol) it's probably a great device that was released way too late to grab attention. When my laptop craps out though I'll definitely consider if it's not a dinosaur.

They are definitely carving out a rather big niche with professionals.

As i have said before in other threads, tablet war is a race right now. Apple and Android are racing upwards in tech and Microsoft is racing downwards in terms of portability, price and ease of use.

Considering the improvements... we are probably roughly 3 iterations away from MS having an absolute colossal hit on their hands. All they need is to remove the fans and venting, improve battery life on par with other tabs and fix a few issues which can bother a casual user and offer at a lower starting price.

The first 2 is simply waiting on intel to get where they need to be in terms of perf:watt and lowering the heat generation. Last one is mainly waiting on intel and DRAM improvements simply because it uses a LOT more DRAM both in storage and memory as well as a larger CPU (by die size) than the other tabs.

It's going to be fun times in the tablet industry in a couple years.

Top Bottom