• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Apath

Is anyone having issues with their bluetooth mouse? I am using the Microsoft Arc Touch mouse, and while it worked perfectly on my SP1, it is completely unusable on the SP3. The mouse will work fine for a few seconds, then become unresponsive and jittery for a few seconds. Non-stop.

It makes the touch pad on the Type Cover 2 look like a $10,000 gaming mouse.

EDIT: It seems that the updates fixed this for the most part. There is one issue where the mouse is slow to react when you haven't used it for a minute, but it's not very noticeable.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Has anyone managed to download those ntrig drivers before their site died?

I've been trying to find them too. Searching about the website being down in google leads me back to this thread. You figure it's a big enough deal that MS would have offered some alternative place to get the drivers or at least a mention of what's going on. Maybe not enough people care?

Has anyone who has a ac-wireless capable router been able to get it to use that instead of n-wireless?

My iMac is using ac, but for some reason my SP3 is only grabbing n even though IIRC it's supposed to support ac.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I've been trying to find them too. Searching about the website being down in google leads me back to this thread. You figure it's a big enough deal that MS would have offered some alternative place to get the drivers or at least a mention of what's going on. Maybe not enough people care?

Well they care enough to murder n-trigs website lol

Has anyone who has a ac-wireless capable router been able to get it to use that instead of n-wireless?

My iMac is using ac, but for some reason my SP3 is only grabbing n even though IIRC it's supposed to support ac.

I have an ac router. Whats the easiest way for me to check its on ac?

Wow, just saw my previous post. I was typing from my phone and it didnt show that!

Dead

well not really...yet
Typing this from pro 3. I'm shocked at how comfy it is. kickstand and keyboard magnet are genius.

I love this thing. In fact I am just typing now for no reason as it is so easy!

I have an ac router. Whats the easiest way for me to check its on ac?

Wow, just saw my previous post. I was typing from my phone and it didnt show that!

IIRC near the top of the "panel" that appears when you check the wireless signals there's a "see details" or something of that effect.

That's where I saw it using n-wireless.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well they care enough to murder n-trigs website lol

Yeah, you gotta assume that's why it's down and yet I'm not seeing many people bitching about it outside this thread.

Animator

How are people using photoshop? The UI is disgustingly small on the Surface. Are you guys lowering the resolution?

go to preferences > experimental settings > scale UI 200%

and restart photoshop.

edit: this is on CC 2014 version only. If you have CS6 or something you are outta luck.

StudioTan

How are people using photoshop? The UI is disgustingly small on the Surface. Are you guys lowering the resolution?

If you have the Creative Cloud version they just released PS 2014 on the 18th and it includes touch controls and the ability to scale the UI to 200% which makes it much easier to use on the SP3.

Dead

well not really...yet
for anyone browsing gaf on surface pro 3, when viewing it in the modern ie app when I click a link in gaf it just goes to a blank page when clicking the same link in the browser ie it works fine.

any ideas?

Future

I couldn't resist an picked it up. Couldn't resist the Microsoft store 30 day return policy. Gonna install a bunch of shit and see if this can really replace the laptop I was thinking about getting.

Lots of people in the Microsoft store too. Kind of shocked. Usually empty like a Sony style or something.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
for anyone browsing gaf on surface pro 3, when viewing it in the modern ie app when I click a link in gaf it just goes to a blank page when clicking the same link in the browser ie it works fine.

any ideas?

its all thanks to GAF link filter

either press and hold link and open in a new tab then click over

or

after the blank page opens, go back to the gaf page then back to the blank page... it will load

it's annoying but you get used to it

Dead

well not really...yet
its all thanks to GAF link filter

either press and hold link and open in a new tab then click over

or

after the blank page opens, go back to the gaf page then back to the blank page... it will load

it's annoying but you get used to it
Thanks.

Animator

Welp Maya is unusable on this thing on it's native res. You can't even read the menu text. I got a migraine after using it five minutes. Hope Autodesk adds UI scaling like Adobe did.

I'm so jealous right now. This could actually replace my laptop? Even if I use it for programming and virtualbox?

It's a full PC, so yes. I have a SP2 and have used it for programming. The larger screen on the SP3 and improved keyboard should make it MUCH better than my SP2.

Before you buy one, go to the MS store and give it a shot and see for yourself.

Hey guys, you think the 4gb RAM i5 is enough to browse the net, write shit, and use Photoshop without chugging? I'm hesitant and about jumping in.

Hey guys, you think the 4gb RAM i5 is enough to browse the net, write shit, and use Photoshop without chugging? I'm hesitant and about jumping in.

Depends on canvas size. If you do up to around 3400x2200 px canvas, you should be fine, but I do 5000x3000 px minimum and with few dozen layers, it can go over 4GB.

Dead

well not really...yet
A few questions about the pen, because MS support site isn't clear:

Surface Pen only shows as connected to Bluetooth® when the top button is pressed. If it still shows as disconnected while you press the top button, pair Surface Pen manually.
So this means the pen showing as disconnected is normal? As that is how it shows for me, but it will say connected when I hold down the top button.

The click to one note feature works, but the right click and eraser buttons dont do jack shit. Any tips?

Can anybody confirm if there's a way to open PDF's, Powerpoints, and/or Word documents in the OneNote application?

You can paste them as files themselves, as a link to a file on another folder, if it's office documents there's also an option to show the content in a editable manner (it opens excel to edit the spreadsheet for instance). You can also insert files as printouts. You will lose their editableness, but you can annotate on them and they get OCR'd.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
This is kinda trying to adapt to coming from a MacBook Air. So what kinda stuff should I do first on this thing?

How you liking it so far?

So this means the pen showing as disconnected is normal? As that is how it shows for me, but it will say connected when I hold down the top button.

The click to one note feature works, but the right click and eraser buttons dont do jack shit. Any tips?

Yeah same, and some times the click to onenote doesn't work to me at all. May be because you have to have your pen connected to the device before its in the sleep more. This all should be fixed via software update though. And MS did great with previous Surface Pro firmware updates. They listen and act very fast.

btw can someone PLEASE PLEASE convince me to get i5/8GB/256 version before I put screen protector on my 128GB one lol

StudioTan

The N-Trig site is working again, I have pressure in Zbrush now :D

Yeah same, and some times the click to onenote doesn't work to me at all. May be because you have to have your pen connected to the device before its in the sleep more. This all should be fixed via software update though. And MS did great with previous Surface Pro firmware updates. They listen and act very fast.

I had problems with the pen yesterday, it wouldn't do any of the One Note stuff. I ended up re-pairing it by going into devices and holding down the button on the pen until the light on it started to flash. After that it worked as expected.

Purexed

Banned
Has anyone figured out how to do the double click pen function to send a webpage, photo, etc. to OneNote. Panos did it in the Surface Pro 3 press conference but that isn't doing anything on my Surface.

BTW, everything else works great with the pen. To be able to write real time annotations and highlights in PowerPoint is going to be a game changer for me with my job.

Whenever this damn e-gift card finishes processing I'm gonna get the i5 8gb model at my local Best Buy. I justified the price by reasoning that I'd eventually be getting a laptop and a tablet anyway, and they would probably cost more than it would to just get this.

Animator

StudioTan did you have a SP2 before this?

I am finding the SP3 slower in most apps compared to SP2 and it is not the screen res, but the lack of the high performance mode I suspect.

For example in Zbrush there is extremely noticeable brush lag if you do quick strokes one after another. To clarify, the stroke itself doesn't lag but the beginning of the next stroke does. I have been trying to turn off the live undo history to see if that's the one causing it, but I am not sure if you can turn it off. There is also crazy stutter when panning with that game character sculpt that comes with Zbrush. I am not sure why that's happening either but my money is on HP mode again.

Also when I installed the new wintab drivers pressure sensitivity stopped working in Sketchbook pro for some reason, I will reinstall it in a bit to see if that fixes it.

Photoshop CC 2014 runs great for drawing. Some heavy filters will kill it though. I had a 2k x 2k file with one layer and some scribbles on it. Ran the new path blur and it got stuck on "calculating" for a good five minutes. This is definitely not a mobile workstation.

MS needs to unlock that high performance mode back on.

StudioTan

StudioTan did you have a SP2 before this?

I am finding the SP3 slower in most apps compared to SP2 and it is not the screen res, but the lack of the high performance mode I suspect.

For example in Zbrush there is extremely noticeable brush lag if you do quick strokes one after another. To clarify, the stroke itself doesn't lag but the beginning of the next stroke does. I have been trying to turn off the live undo history to see if that's the one causing it, but I am not sure if you can turn it off. There is also crazy stutter when panning with that game character sculpt that comes with Zbrush. I am not sure why that's happening either but my money is on HP mode again.

Also when I installed the new wintab drivers pressure sensitivity stopped working in Sketchbook pro for some reason, I will reinstall it in a bit to see if that fixes it.

Photoshop CC 2014 runs great for drawing. Some heavy filters will kill it though. I had a 2k x 2k file with one layer and some scribbles on it. Ran the new path blur and it got stuck on "calculating" for a good five minutes. This is definitely not a mobile workstation.

MS needs to unlock that high performance mode back on.

No, this is my first Surface. I have an EP121 and this is much faster.

I just tested Zbrush with the Kotelnikoff character and I see what you're talking about with moving the camera. The weird thing is using the scale and move buttons on the right is really fast and responsive so I don't know if it's a power issue. In terms of brush lag I have to go really fast before I see any issues, even with moderately fast strokes I'm not having any issues with sculpting.

Unfortunately Mudbox doesn't work at all. Touch controls work half the time but the pen isn't even recognized at all, even for clicking UI elements.

EDIT: Since on my PC I never use those scale, move and rotate buttons on the right side of the UI I wasn't sure if they actually affect the mesh but after testing it they don't, they seem to do the same thing as using hotkeys. So I guess I'll use those on the Surface for getting around the scene since there is absolutely no stutter when doing so.

Animator

Yea I am not sure why it's only happening with pan. I will investigate further. Gonna install Modo on it now to see how that works.

RJM77

To people with experience with the previous Surfaces: does the stylus cause any hairline scratches at all after a while? I'd rather not put a screen protector on but I also don't want to see scratches from stylus use over time.

Draper

How you liking it so far?

Eh, truth be told I'm not feeling it all too much so far. It just doesn't feel like a cohesive, fluid experience. And the trackpad seriously sucks. I'm gonna continue to work with it, but I am on the side of returning it right now.

Future

So far this is fitting the bill for someone that had an ipad, but wanted a slightly more productive version. The tablet experience isn't the greatest though. It still amazes me to this day that a company as big as Microsoft still can't have all the usability stuff apple had. Pages still freeze a bit occasionally while touch scrolling. It's not terrible, but using iPhones and iPads so long you get used to that fluidity

With the keyboard, though, it blows my ipad out the water. Touchpad isn't horrible, but if you are coming from a MacBook I can see why you might be annoyed. The MacBook is a better laptop experience, and the ipad is a better tablet experience, but this feels like the best in between which is what I wanted

f0lken

BTW People, use Bluestacks, is an Android emulator that got updated last month and it works wonderfully on a SP1, On the 3 it must be an excelent experience for all those tablet apps that W8 lacks

Future

BTW People, use Bluestacks, is an Android emulator that got updated last month and it works wonderfully on a SP1, On the 3 it must be an excelent experience for all those tablet apps that W8 lacks

Holy shit these are the types of tips I need. It is hard to find any tips on good windows tablet style apps in general

Animator

So far this is fitting the bill for someone that had an ipad, but wanted a slightly more productive version. The tablet experience isn't the greatest though. It still amazes me to this day that a company as big as Microsoft still can't have all the usability stuff apple had. Pages still freeze a bit occasionally while touch scrolling. It's not terrible, but using iPhones and iPads so long you get used to that fluidity

With the keyboard, though, it blows my ipad out the water. Touchpad isn't horrible, but if you are coming from a MacBook I can see why you might be annoyed. The MacBook is a better laptop experience, and the ipad is a better tablet experience, but this feels like the best in between which is what I wanted

I am not seeing any page freezing or anything when browsing on my end and I have some pretty heavy websites open.

maeh2k

Holy shit these are the types of tips I need. It is hard to find any tips on good windows tablet style apps in general

On my Surface 2 I'm mostly using Skype, Tweetium (for twitter), OneNote, Nextgen Reader (feedly RSS), and HERE Maps (maps downloadable for offline use). And of course you can pin any website to get an app-like experience. For the Pro there's also VLC.

f0lken

Yup, previously it was a mess, laggy, and I couldn't even got into the intro of PvZ 2, but now it's been updated and it runs like a breeze

And it has access to the play store :D

xqC1Izw.jpg

HK7BKOn.jpg

Top Bottom