• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

So, I know that less than a day's usage is less than comprehensive, but so far, I haven't had any locking issues since I uninstalled f.lux. I did not try One Note yet, though, but I have a meeting at 3 PST, so I'll post again after that.

Okay, so, post-meeting, everything was fine, and the SP3 was rock solid. I used the feature that would lock it up before (moving handwritten text with the pen's selection tool) twice, and it went off without a hitch, so it was definitely f.lux that was f'ing me up.

Totakeke

So it seems like my SP3 is defective because after installing all the available updates my microSD card slot is still not working. It doesn't detect any cards at all. I've tried refreshing Windows but that only gave me a 7 hours wait of nothing happening then reverting the process after I did a force shutdown.

What are my options now? Do an exchange and I'll get a refurb unit? Make a return and do another purchase? Neither options seems particularly enticing. Anyone knows what's the microSD card reader supposed to be under device manager?

SerTapTap

So it seems like my SP3 is defective because after installing all the available updates my microSD card slot is still not working. It doesn't detect any cards at all. I've tried refreshing Windows but that only gave me a 7 hours wait of nothing happening then reverting the process after I did a force shutdown.

What are my options now? Do an exchange and I'll get a refurb unit? Make a return and do another purchase? Neither options seems particularly enticing. Anyone knows what's the microSD card reader supposed to be under device manager?

You'll probalby need to do a return. I think you can do a support chat with 'em, if not, call 'em that's what I did (my first unit had a discoloration on the screen, this one's perfect). Best I can tell the "refurb unit" I got was an actual retail kit, packaging, pen and power cord include so I wouldn't be too worried.

Zee-Row

Banned
Seriously, why do all tablets have a shitty amount of memory? We went from traditional laptops having 500gb to these tablets that have on average 64 to 128GB.

It wouldn't be a problem if these were in the $300 range.

Goldenhen

Seriously, why do all tablets have a shitty amount of memory? We went from traditional laptops having 500gb to these tablets that have on average 64 to 128GB.

It is because tablet are using flash memory or SSD rather than mechanical hard drive. Plus mechanical hard drive is not good idea for tablet since we always move the tablet around while using it.

Tablets all have Solid State memory that is far more expensive. Having a mechanical hard drive on tablets would be horrible.

I've been thinking. Theoretically the Surface Pro 4 should be a Q3 2015 release, assuming we get roughly a year from SP3.

That should mean the SP4 is in the right timeframe to ship with Windows 9, a broadwell chip and (again, theoretically) some variation of DDR4 memory. Not so sure about the latter really, but I'm definitely thinking that good things will be coming to those who wait. Hopefully the SP line doesn't just get axed before then, of course :p

TxdoHawk

I've been thinking. Theoretically the Surface Pro 4 should be a Q3 2015 release, assuming we get roughly a year from SP3.

That should mean the SP4 is in the right timeframe to ship with Windows 9, a broadwell chip and (again, theoretically) some variation of DDR4 memory. Not so sure about the latter really, but I'm definitely thinking that good things will be coming to those who wait.

I've been struggling with this very idea, having wanted an SP3 for awhile now but feeling like it's going to be just underneath my needs. I want some light-to-moderate gaming on tap, and the throttling reports give me pause...the reduced power consumption + graphical performance improvements of Broadwell could theoretically fix that quite nicely.

Hopefully the SP line doesn't just get axed before then, of course :p

Alternatively, maybe they'll just do a processor refresh in the existing hardware. Who knows for sure what will happen, though.

I've been struggling with this very idea, having wanted an SP3 for awhile now but feeling like it's going to be just underneath my needs. I want some light-to-moderate gaming on tap, and the throttling reports give me pause...the reduced power consumption + graphical performance improvements of Broadwell could theoretically fix that quite nicely.

Alternatively, maybe they'll just do a processor refresh in the existing hardware. Who knows for sure what will happen, though.

Idk if an updated integrated graphics solution is coming with Broadwell. Hope so!

Izuna

Banned
I had to skip on the Surface Pro 3.

Was SO certain I would get it. Had money set aside, I pre-ordered it etc. But the fact that the i7 version took so long to come out I decided against it in the end. i7 having better graphics than i5 ruined everything. I'm up for Pro 4.

TxdoHawk

That should mean the SP4 is in the right timeframe to ship with Windows 9, a broadwell chip and (again, theoretically) some variation of DDR4 memory. Not so sure about the latter really, but I'm definitely thinking that good things will be coming to those who wait. Hopefully the SP line doesn't just get axed before then, of course :p
There will always be a better theoretical future version, though. By the time the SP4 is around, there will be speculation about SP5, and I'm sure Intel will have another new architecture in the pipeline. It's really not worth waiting forever.

Awesome. It seems like we're a year or two away from integrated equipped tablets and notebooks from being able to play most last gen games well.

There will always be a better theoretical future version, though. By the time the SP4 is around, there will be speculation about SP5, and I'm sure Intel will have another new architecture in the pipeline. It's really not worth waiting forever.

Sure, it's just that SP3 actually did a backslide on gaming performance compared to SP2. It's in a weird spot where it's superior in some ways but inferior in others. I feel like SP4 will finally be a clear improvement on SP2, while also ironing out some of the quirks of the SP3.

Any info on whether a docked SP3 (any config) can handle 3 external monitors @ 1080?

From http://www.zdnet.com/which-cpus-will-you-find-in-the-surface-pro-3-7000029820/

For those concerned about multiple monitor support, Microsoft engineers tell me they've tested these scenarios thoroughly. The i3-based model can comfortably drive two Full HD (1920x1200 at 60 Hz) displays, while the i5 and i7 models can power two external displays at a maximum resolution of 2880x1800 each at 60 Hz.

In all cases, you need to make the connection to the external monitors using the mini-DisplayPort adapter on the side of the device. For a single monitor, you can use an adapter to output to HDMI, DVI, or VGA. For dual displays you need either a DisplayPort hub or monitors that support DisplayPort chaining. The docking station (available in mid-August) includes a single mini-DisplayPort adapter and also allows the use of the matching adapter on the device itself, making multi-monitor support easy. In any configuration, you can continue to use the built-in touchscreen in addition to the external displays.

Sorry if you already knew that. I can't find anything on a triple external setup with the SP3 online.

sh4mike

sh4mike

One additional question, please. Related to functionality. A bit lengthy but advice is greatly appreciated before I drop $3K setting all this up.

I'm planning to have two TV spaces in the house. Both TVs would have a Chromecast or equivalent hooked in with no cable/satellite. All the media would stream from a home network.

For the network, I'm planning to have a SP3, docking station, and a couple of 4TB external drives connected to the dock. The external drives will store/stream media through the wireless home network.

One of the TV spaces is also my internet browsing space, so I'd have at least two (hopefully 3) external monitors hooked into the SP3 dock here.

To navigate the other TV space, I am planning to undock the SP3, take it upstairs, and use it to navigate and stream content to the other TV. A side benefit is that the SP3 would make a nice tablet internet browsing experience in this room.

So please tell me -- can the SP3 do all this effectively? Is there a better solution?

SerTapTap

What browser are you guys using? Beta Chrome's touch support isn't perfect (sometimes rapid finger swipes don't scroll at all), and it's a bit unstable. Canary Chrome is FAR too unstable but has the best touch. Normal Chrome's touch is poor and fussy. Also, chrome brings up the infernal touch keyboard all the time.

IE I'm not so sure about going back to, and I really can't lose having a password saving system. Haven't Firefox'd in years other than testing for web development. I'm leaning towards suffering through Chrome Beta, but damn I Wish they'd more properly support high DPI and touch in Release chrome soon.

Also, steam, high dpi, pls.

I'm using Chrome Beta, but I mostly use a mouse, so its touch is "good enough" for me.

I'm thinking about using IE in tablet mode, though, but in truth, I don't use much in that mode outside of OneNote.

Servbot24

Banned
Can anyone in this thread offer insight into Surface Pro 3 vs Cintiq 13HD? Photoshop usage is by far the most important function but I'd really appreciate the versatility of SP3.

SerTapTap

I'm using Chrome Beta, but I mostly use a mouse, so its touch is "good enough" for me.

I'm thinking about using IE in tablet mode, though, but in truth, I don't use much in that mode outside of OneNote.

Incredibly annoyingly, IE can only use Metro mode if it's set to default, otherwise I probably would use IE in tablet mode.

Irminsul

Incredibly annoyingly, IE can only use Metro mode if it's set to default, otherwise I probably would use IE in tablet mode.
Wait a minute... are you saying I can only use Metro IE when IE is my default browser? So that's why I can't find it on any of my Windows 8 systems?

What the fuck.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
One additional question, please. Related to functionality. A bit lengthy but advice is greatly appreciated before I drop $3K setting all this up.

I'm planning to have two TV spaces in the house. Both TVs would have a Chromecast or equivalent hooked in with no cable/satellite. All the media would stream from a home network.

For the network, I'm planning to have a SP3, docking station, and a couple of 4TB external drives connected to the dock. The external drives will store/stream media through the wireless home network.

One of the TV spaces is also my internet browsing space, so I'd have at least two (hopefully 3) external monitors hooked into the SP3 dock here.

To navigate the other TV space, I am planning to undock the SP3, take it upstairs, and use it to navigate and stream content to the other TV. A side benefit is that the SP3 would make a nice tablet internet browsing experience in this room.

So please tell me -- can the SP3 do all this effectively? Is there a better solution?

Way overkill IMO.

The SP3 should serve all that up just fine, but it is a tablet, but when streaming it'd be forced to be tethered.

Personally I'd look at a couple of alternatives that don't require the SP3 (but you can still use it for whatever else you need it for - presumably you have use cases that need one, not just streaming media)

1) NAS. Buy a 2-4 bay NAS and put your drives in there. Try and get one that can run a plex server
2) use your smartphone or buy a cheap android phone off-contract, or a cheap android tablet and install plex. Use that in each room to browse what you want to watch and cast it to the chromecasts.

You could skip (1) and use the SP3 but I don't know if you can undock it and still stream content?

SerTapTap

Wait a minute... are you saying I can only use Metro IE when IE is my default browser? So that's why I can't find it on any of my Windows 8 systems?

What the fuck.

Yes and I really have no idea why. I know it'd confuse normal users, but I wish they'd have an option to make both IEs have separate icons if they're going to make default the only way to toggle it.

So.... Surface Pro 3 i3 or Surface Pro 2 i5? Which one should I get? I'm going off to college and want to get a surface pro but not anything crazy expensive ($1000+)

What the fuck.

It has to do with special permissions browsers have (running scripts and compiling code on the fly). The way Ms decided that it can be sure that the app is an actual browser so it can grant those permissions is if the user itself declares that app as the default browser. It sucks, really XD

SerTapTap

So.... Surface Pro 3 i3 or Surface Pro 2 i5? Which one should I get? I'm going off to college and want to get a surface pro but not anything crazy expensive ($1000+)

I've heard the i5 bump is really worth it for the SP3. I really can't recommend a surface pro 2 unless you only want the gaming performance--the kickstand and new typecover are really big game changers as a laptop replacement. If you're not doing anything too intensive, i3 might be workable, but it seems like an iffy value proposition. You're getting the typecover, right? It's...not optional. It really shouldn't be a separate purchase.

Someone with an i3 might be able to give you a better impression though. I have an i5, only heard about the performance stuff from reviewers.

I've heard the i5 bump is really worth it for the SP3. I really can't recommend a surface pro 2 unless you only want the gaming performance--the kickstand and new typecover are really big game changers as a laptop replacement. If you're not doing anything too intensive, i3 might be workable, but it seems like an iffy value proposition. You're getting the typecover, right? It's...not optional. It really shouldn't be a separate purchase.

Someone with an i3 might be able to give you a better impression though. I have an i5, only heard about the performance stuff from reviewers.
Yeah, you really, really need a type cover. If you go back a few pages, you'll see that I initially bought another, cheaper, decent cover with a bluetooth keyboard.

Well, I ended up returning that after I got a type cover. It's just that much better to be able to snap it in and have the SP3 immediately recognize it as a usable keyboard.

SerTapTap

Oh yeah, what DPI setting do you guys use? I use largest (on desktop) but some things are just a bit TOO big. But the fonts (when DPI aware) are sooooo gooooood. Thinking I might kick it back down to default though because my effective pixel real estate is pretty low right now, about on par with my old 800p laptop.

Yeah, you really, really need a type cover. If you go back a few pages, you'll see that I initially bought another, cheaper, decent cover with a bluetooth keyboard.

Well, I ended up returning that after I got a type cover. It's just that much better to be able to snap it in and have the SP3 immediately recognize it as a usable keyboard.

Plus the auto-rotation (though sometimes it's over-eager in assuming I'm using the typecover when it's folded back and I'm using it in portrait tablet mode), and the SNAP. Ugh the snap is so good. Feels like a real (laptop) keyboard, almost as good as my X200 tablet. It's so nice. It saddens me to see pople whining about the surface as "a $2000 tablet" when I own one and it's so clearly worth the $1000~ I paid. A few issues to iron out, hopefully in some updates or possibly Windows 9 (the metro IE thing is silly but probably set in stone).

Plus the auto-rotation (though sometimes it's over-eager in assuming I'm using the typecover when it's folded back and I'm using it in portrait tablet mode), and the SNAP. Ugh the snap is so good. Feels like a real (laptop) keyboard, almost as good as my X200 tablet. It's so nice. It saddens me to see pople whining about the surface as "a $2000 tablet" when I own one and it's so clearly worth the $1000~ I paid. A few issues to iron out, hopefully in some updates or possibly Windows 9 (the metro IE thing is silly but probably set in stone).
Don't forget the camera is a load of crap, too. It's really dumb how I have to snap pictures with my phone and then sync them to OneNote instead of being able to actually use the camera on the SP3.

SerTapTap

I meant stuff they can fix in the software. Camera's noticably worse than my Nexus 5 though--really bad with lights. Not an important feature to me, I've just used it to snap some ugly cat pics when the phone isn't nearby. Lights do bleed like crazy:

BvRplsAIIAAmbv_.jpg

I actually did have a use case for the camera when I was having issues with f.lux. My SP3 crashed in the middle of a meeting, so I continued to take notes on a piece of paper and thought I could just snap a pic of them and merge them with my previous notes. Nope. Blurry mess. I had to do it with my phone (coincidentally, also a Nexus 5), upload it to Google Drive because I didn't have OneNote for Android yet, and then download and attach it. It was way more complicated than I wanted.

rezn0r

So I may have fallen for one of these early this morning, we were working with a vendor who just got one. Thing looked really nice. This combined with me seeing that my POS old ass laptop can't even run virtualization made me realize I need to put some money towards my main & side work situation. Coworkers use mainly Asus Zenbooks or MacBook Airs - both seem really great, but the more I read about the SP3 the more I think I'm leaning towards that. I've never owned a decent laptop and all other hardware has either been gaming rigs or servers so this is all new to me. It looks like I can get an i7 256GB for around $1400 which doesn't seem so bad (considering I was looking at Apple for a little while).

Phoenix's Rage

Neo Member
I exchanged my i7 at the store for a i5, hoping that the new one would run cooler. Seems to still heat up easily under normal conditions (web browsing, playing Twitch or Youtube, etc.) with the fan turning on. Anyone else has this issue?

siddhu33

I exchanged my i7 at the store for a i5, hoping that the new one would run cooler. Seems to still heat up easily under normal conditions (web browsing, playing Twitch or Youtube, etc.) with the fan turning on. Anyone else has this issue?

normal browsing doesnt seem to do much, but things like watching YT videos in 4k seem to tax the CPU (no kidding). casual use doesn't seem to be too bad. do you think the metal outer casing might have something to do with the heat?

SerTapTap

It's an ultrathin tablet running a real desktop OS--it'll get warm. Shouldn't burn your fingers or anything, but at load it'll warm up and run the fan. Mine runs silent at "idle" just running web browsing and basic productivity stuff, fan kicks on almost immediately when running an online video, only really gets hot when playing games for me, predictably.

Also, charging the battery will warm it up a bit, noticable if you're also doing intensive tasks.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Received my i5 Monday. It is spectacular - beautiful design, gorgeous screen and blazing fast. I love it.

Phoenix's Rage

Neo Member
It's an ultrathin tablet running a real desktop OS--it'll get warm. Shouldn't burn your fingers or anything, but at load it'll warm up and run the fan. Mine runs silent at "idle" just running web browsing and basic productivity stuff, fan kicks on almost immediately when running an online video, only really gets hot when playing games for me, predictably.

Also, charging the battery will warm it up a bit, noticable if you're also doing intensive tasks.

Makes sense. My issue was that during Google Hangout/Skype chats on my i7, the fan would kick into the highest gear and basically make me incomprehensible to those I was talking to.

SerTapTap

It does seem over-eager on the fan with video specifically, but it really shouldn't be THAT loud if CPU usage is <40%. There's several steps, idle should be almost completely silent, the first big step shouldn't be very audible over any video you're playing (of moderate volume.)

Got a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter, playing games on TV with it is pretty cool. I got a DS4 paired with DS4 Windows (I have to re-pair it a lot...not sure if DS4Window's fault or Windows or the DS4 itself). Plays pretty well, really, does get quite hot. Performance will generally require tweaking, but it's hardly bad considering the form factor.

I must say I'm glad I have a bluetooth mouse. Touchpad really isn't great. I wish they used Trackpoint, I got so used to that with my X200. Everyone hates it at first, but man it works well and takes zero space.

Top Bottom