• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Omiee

so i recently bought a surface pro 3 and im loving it so far. only thing i hate about it is the colours. i want to be able to change contrast and other settings of the screen. how do i do that?

SerTapTap

so i recently bought a surface pro 3 and im loving it so far. only thing i hate about it is the colours. i want to be able to change contrast and other settings of the screen. how do i do that?

can't say I've had any issues with the color, but just hit Windows key and type "color", there's a color calibration tool I believe, I've used it to try and get my monitors on my desktop to sync properly

Schlep

Has anyone recently had a problem with system interrupts taking up 20-25% of CPU? I know it was an older issue, but I hadn't experienced it until this past week.

MCD

I really appreciate Surface Pro 3 not being replaced fast with a new model but at the same time, I really want to wait for Pro 4. Anyone think it's launching soon or will MS wait for Win10?

I really appreciate Surface Pro 3 not being replaced fast with a new model but at the same time, I really want to wait for Pro 4. Anyone think it's launching soon or will MS wait for Win10?

this fall maybe along with windows 10.
I'm holding off too, but I wonder when we'll see the new Ntrigg pen when MS bought them

Pooya

install intel hd graphics driver to get the control panel. you have to use have disk method, google it.

you can use windows' own display calibration tool too but it's pretty limited. just search 'calibrate'.

I guess this means Wacom isn't ever coming back to Surface.

It also means I'll be using my SP2 forever then. RIP pens that don't need batteries in them to work.

i'm guessing that's only valid if you don't have a keyboard attached...

I've gone through security numerous times with my SP2 in my backpack that had the Type Cover attached.

I always pull my laptop out but leave the SP2 in. TSA hasn't made a peep ever.

aaaaa0

It also means I'll be using my SP2 forever then. RIP pens that don't need batteries in them to work.

I just want to see the SP4 running at 120 hz pen->screen refresh (like the Surface Hub). If that means no more Wacom, so be it.

IMHO 120 hz pen->screen latency makes a huge difference in the feel of the ink.

SerTapTap

Wacom support is abundant, but it just feels too focused on drawing pads rather than direct-to-screen interaction. Ntrig is delightfully fast. I don't know all the tech details so maybe Wacom has the same potential, but if they're focusing on ntrig they must have a reason for that.

How long does the ntrig pen last anyway? No problems on mine, I think I'll take multiple months of battery life over endless life with poor response times. It's no Game Gear.

Probably going to settle into a yearly upgrade cycle like most "tablets", though I guess it's possible they'll go once every two years. I think they've been higher pace up until the SP3 because they were iterating a lot. With the SP3 I think they found their groove. I hope they'll be a bit more up front about their upgrade plans though, as it feels people are always waiting for "the next one" which can't be great for their sales.

So I should be getting a Surface Pro pretty soon but I'm going back and forth over whether to get the i5 or the i7 version. Can anyone with experience or knowledge about it speak to the difference? Is it worth the extra $250 to go with the i7?

Corgi

Banned
So I should be getting a Surface Pro pretty soon but I'm going back and forth over whether to get the i5 or the i7 version. Can anyone with experience or knowledge about it speak to the difference? Is it worth the extra $250 to go with the i7?
What are you using it for?

I5 is plenty fine for normal use. I7 version comes with double ram though.

What are you using it for?

I5 is plenty fine for normal use. I7 version comes with double ram though.

I'll mostly be using it for Photoshop. Drawing and such. A little light gaming too but that's secondary. I was looking at the 256GB i5 and I believe that has the same RAM as the 256GB i7 (8GB).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'll mostly be using it for Photoshop. Drawing and such. A little light gaming too but that's secondary. I was looking at the 256GB i5 and I believe that has the same RAM as the 256GB i7 (8GB).

Go with the i5 with 8GB of RAM.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Cool. No real difference for pen drawing and pressure lag between the two then?

No, the i7 won't make any difference with stuff like that. If you're running heavy filters and stuff it would be a bit faster but I don't think the i7 is necessary for regular work personally.

Tugatrix

I though people were joking but Chrome really drains the battery very fast, back to IE again (never though I would do this again in my life)

Also I'm having some problems with my pen, sometimes it lost the connection and I have to take the battery out for a second and put it back again to connect again. Any though on how to solve this?

SerTapTap

Chrome just seems to be a complete mess for me--every few days I'll have to close it because it stops responding to clicks, and randomly it'll take up a full CPU core for no reason until I restart chrome. I've tried switching to IE but it's hard. Dunno what it's problem is, doesn't do this to me on other PCs.

hadareud

The Translator
I just hope that Spartan will be a good alternative for chrome and ff. The modern IE is great, really great, but the desktop one is what it is - far too limited and not very good.

Chrome is a horrible resource hog on all my machines, so I'm not surprised it runs the way it does on the Surface

dLMN8R

I switched to using Firefox and am much much happier. Same extensions are available for the most part, yet it doesn't choke on gifs or destroy my battery life.

SerTapTap

FF doesn't choke on GIFs? That's been a real problem in chrome lately. I guess I should try. But...mrg...muh saved form information

hadareud

The Translator
I switched to using Firefox and am much much happier. Same extensions are available for the most part, yet it doesn't choke on gifs or destroy my battery life.

FF is superior to Chrome in every way, apart from not having application shortcuts.

Other than that I'd be using FF exclusively. Well and Metro IE, because it is fantastic when you're using the Surface as a tablet. Spartan better be as good as a tablet browser, otherwise I'll be upset. And sad.

SerTapTap

Is FF touch friendly at all? Decent touch scrolling is a minimum. Does importing actually grab Chrome Sync stuff? I guess I'll try FF tonight. I can't really deal with fullscreen-only Metro IE, maybe I'll like Spartan once I can get Win 10 for that Metro With Taskbar goodness

FF is superior to Chrome in every way, apart from not having application shortcuts.

Other than that I'd be using FF exclusively. Well and Metro IE, because it is fantastic when you're using the Surface as a tablet. Spartan better be as good as a tablet browser, otherwise I'll be upset. And sad.

Spartan is apparently the default for "mobile" windows 10 devices to, so it damn well better be a good tablet browser

SerTapTap

Yeah you're probably better off just selling your device yourself...you almost always are with these trade-in things. Non-RT surfaces seem to keep decent resale value

Husker86

FF doesn't choke on GIFs? That's been a real problem in chrome lately. I guess I should try. But...mrg...muh saved form information

LastPass! Or any password manager. I don't let browsers remember any information anymore--all your saved stuff is portable to other browsers, and more secure. Free on computers too, you only pay a measley $12 if you want to use it on mobile.

It even works in IE.

I still use Chrome on my SP3, though; sometimes IE just for kicks. I may switch to Firefox, but I haven't had battery issues with the way/amount I use it yet.

Figured this was the best topic.

I'm looking getting a PC solution for 3D printing (the software I'm using isn't mac compatible) and was thinking of going for a surface. Looking on amazon (Prime Member) and think of going a i5 Pro 3 for $999, but I also noticed that there are refurbished Pro 2's for about $260 (LINK).

What are the thoughts of Pro 2 Vs 3 and buying refurbished. I would also us if to play Indie sized games that are only on the PC and scribbling notes down. Also can the Pro translate my handwriting and turn it into text?

Thanks in advance dudes!

StudioTan

I'm looking getting a PC solution for 3D printing (the software I'm using isn't mac compatible) and was thinking of going for a surface. Looking on amazon (Prime Member) and think of going a i5 Pro 3 for $999, but I also noticed that there are refurbished Pro 2's for about $260 (LINK).

What are the thoughts of Pro 2 Vs 3 and buying refurbished. I would also us if to play Indie sized games that are only on the PC and scribbling notes down. Also can the Pro translate my handwriting and turn it into text?

Thanks in advance dudes!

I never like to recommend older versions of a product but it depends on how you're planning to use it.

In terms of power they should be very similar but the SP3 has a bigger screen, higher resolution and is at the same time both lighter and thinner.

If you intend to use it as a laptop then the SP3 is also more versatile since the kickstand has free movement to get almost any angle you'd like while the SP2 only has 2 preset positions. The keyboard cover for the SP3 is also has a better trackpad and snaps up to the base of the tablet for better stability when you're using it on your lap and nicer angle to type on when it's on a desk.

They can both convert handwriting to text, that's actually a part of Windows.

So in the end it comes down to if the difference in price offsets all those other improvements on the SP3.

EDIT: Just noticed that the refurbs you linked are only 32GB, you're going to have almost no space left due to Windows taking up so much room.

kubus

Thanks in advance dudes!
Don't know where you're located but BestBuy is apparently having a sale. The Surface Pro 3 i5 128GB is $899 there. All models are discounted by $100. Link

StudioTan

Well I guess that solves that dilemma. Thanks.

Doh, I just looked again and those are RT tablets, they don't run proper Windows so they don't run regular software. If the dilemma wasn't solved before it is now.

Sorry, I should have noticed that right away!

Husker86

Yeah on modern IE. I can't add a link or an image since it's a small pop up window on desktop GAF. Perhaps I should use the normal IE.

If you really want to keep using modern IE, just learn the syntax for those shortcuts.

[ URL="yoururl.com" ]your text[ /URL ] -- without the spaces

Spinluck

So the consensus is that the SP2 is still the better device for artistic/creative purposes?

Or does this apply only to those who care about pressure sensitivity?

StudioTan

So the consensus is that the SP2 is still the better device for artistic/creative purposes?

Or does this apply only to those who care about pressure sensitivity?

I don't think so, no. Pressure sensitivity hasn't been a problem and the Ntrig pen has less lag and more precision in the corners. The bigger screen and the adjustable kickstand are huge advantages for the SP3.

The biggest issues with the Ntrig pen are that it uses a battery (that I haven't had to change yet) and that the pen buttons weren't customizable. You can get a program called Radial Menu that takes care of that though.

The other thing is that the Ntrig has problems with jittery lines if you draw really slowly but again you can get software to alleviate that for the most part.

So I finally got one :D Any recommendations on apps or anything? This is my first Win8 machine so I have zero experience with metro or the app store.

Spinluck

I don't think so, no. Pressure sensitivity hasn't been a problem and the Ntrig pen has less lag and more precision in the corners. The bigger screen and the adjustable kickstand are huge advantages for the SP3.

The biggest issues with the Ntrig pen are that it uses a battery (that I haven't had to change yet) and that the pen buttons weren't customizable. You can get a program called Radial Menu that takes care of that though.

The other thing is that the Ntrig has problems with jittery lines if you draw really slowly but again you can get software to alleviate that for the most part.

Thanks a bunch, sounds great. I wanted to be sure, but I've heard a ton of different things. That was my only concern.

At the moment I'm not sure if I should wait or bite, I've been saving for a while now and really want one.

Top Bottom