• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

When do I start to see "Power Struggles"? I've unlocked all wraith towers (first area), I've killed plenty of captains, I've used the "advance time" option several times, I've seen captains move up and get promoted during the "advance time" option, yet on my map, I have yet to see a single red "power struggle" icon. I've also completed 3 story quests.

When do the Power Struggles start? I feel like my character will never advance again because I can't unlock anything. I have 5 accrued points sitting there unable to be spent.

The streams and demos actually do a pretty great job at conveying the general idea of the game but a pretty poor job explaining that stuff gradually unlocks.

I expect Mordor 2 to have a fully unlocked Nemesis System from hour one.

Zeliard

I actually can't remember when the Power Struggles show up but I spent ages looking for certain abilities earlier on and couldn't find them so I did story missions and they unlocked via that. Makes sense though. I always complete the story first in games like this and fuck around later on.

Yeah delaying story progression in this game is a mistake since various neat abilities and side-mission types only become unlocked after you've completed specific story missions.

Yeah delaying story progression in this game is a mistake since various neat abilities and sub-mission types only become unlocked after you've completed specific story missions.

Yeah, I just got Brand and I'm going back to Udun to just generally fuck around.

owlbeak

Can we talk about the Critical Strike ability? How the hell do you use it? It says press Square only once when your strike lands to double your hit streak but it doesn't work. Do I hit square once to attack and then again as the strike lands? I've only gotten it to work after the wraith bash with circle, and then slowly tap square. Need explanation!

20 people on my friends list are playing destiny

2 are playing this

Guess it's more of a niche game (though I expect it to sell just fine)

That's interesting considering that when I stopped at Gamestop to pick up my pre-order.. the guy told me that all the SoM PS4/X1 games were sold out.. only reserves were left..I hope the game sells well.. it definitely is worthy of a sequel and a lot of DLC.

Can we talk about the Critical Strike ability? How the hell do you use it? It says press Square only once when your strike lands to double your hit streak but it doesn't work. Do I hit square once to attack and then again as the strike lands? I've only gotten it to work after the wraith bash with circle, and then slowly tap square. Need explanation!

If you've played the Arkham series of games it's a very standard technique. It's a simple matter of tapping the attack button once to attack, instead of mashing it constantly. There is a certain rhythm to it, but once you get it down it's a very straightforward action. The main thing to keep in mind if you want crits is to click once after the attack finishes - not during the attack.

stupei

I told myself I'd wait until a potential black friday sale, but it's been a crappy week at work so I swung by best buy earlier...

I don't think I regret my decision. Heading home to load it up now.

owlbeak

If you've played the Arkham series of games it's a very standard technique. It's a simple matter of tapping the attack button once to attack, instead of mashing it constantly. There is a certain rhythm to it, but once you get it down it's a very straightforward action. The main thing to keep in mind if you want crits is to click once after the attack finishes - not during the attack.
Thanks. I'll try this. I haven't played the Arkham games, so I don't understand how it works quite yet.

Honestly I like it when they come back and randomly show up as I'm fighting a warchief or something.

Yup. It's a fresh take on design. It lets you actually build this rivalry and can genuinely be a surprising moment on the battlefield. The second half of the game opens up so many more combat options too. It's all around a great take on open world enemy design and encounters.

Alright guys I think I'm gonna get the game tomorrow. But I have a question. Does the ps4 version include all the extra missions or was that preorder only???!

Monolith has done a superb job. The combat is a blast. I really have no idea why I'm in Mordor, nor do I really understand what I'm supposed to be doing other than going on a murderous rampage. which I'm totally cool with, surprisingly. I've had some victories and plenty of defeats. im not all that good with strategy and not remembering what button does what can get me into some precarious situations. I'm not so good at the parkour, especially trying to drop down on enemies. I'm sure I will become better at it as I get more practice.

Overall, the game is one big button mash of stress, but holy cow, defending off two captains and their crew successfully is one of the most gratifying feelings in gaming outside of boss fights in dark souls.

Sober

Yeah delaying story progression in this game is a mistake since various neat abilities and side-mission types only become unlocked after you've completed specific story missions.
The story was boring and I guess it brought you up to unlocking the cool features but honestly it would've been more fun to just give me all the crap and let players figure it out or gate it a little faster. Like brand not so damn late or something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yup. It's a fresh take on design. It lets you actually build this rivalry and can genuinely be a surprising moment on the battlefield. The second half of the game opens up so many more combat options too. It's all around a great take on open world enemy design and encounters.

Oh yea. There was this grunt that escaped a fight one time and he became a Captain after a spot opened up. I figure he's a little bitch so I may as well ignore him so I go about my business. I encountered him in some larger fights every now and again but he's always run away. Now, out of nowhere, he's a Warchief!

kaiiri

so I may have been delaying story progression just wandering collecting stuff and killing things. what exactly am I missing? or would that be super spoiler-y? (if it is don't tell me!!) ... I've unlocked quite a bit of stuff now so not sure what else besides cooler versions of the skills I already have... but if there's something else that opens up later that is just a "don't know how I lived without this skill!!" thing i'll do the story parts a bit more.

i currently at
just killed the 4 war chiefs.

I see, but I would think that you'd go "ahh damn, not again" every time you see Talion not doing decapitations, but it's actually cool that they can die for real without decapitating them still.

I'm sure they say the same thing when they just killed you and you hunt them down, only to lose to them again, and again, and again. I see it as fair play on both sides...unless of course, you'd prefer you also stay dead after being stormed by 20 of their minions.

MattyG

Banned
I just finished the
fight with the Hammer of Sauron.
About how far into the main story am I? I think I've played about 6 hours so far.

NateDrake

In one of the menus you can see all of the objective-based tasks in the game. Quests, collections, everything.

And, yes, your number is accurate.

That is the number I saw from the menu, but thought maybe it was based on the areas I've forged a tower in or something. Hmmm...seems I could rush through the story rather quickly.

brian!

ok so I killed the first warlord, did some little missions, got beat on and beat on some ppl; does the game vary or is this it

Top Bottom