• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Any word on the DLC? I bought the Premium Edition.

I still can't change skins. WTF.

Are you going into the right menu? You do it before you load your game.

icmSaOY.jpg

And if you're on PC, check you have them installed.

ntv9wkm.jpg

PS4 version here. Anyone notice the input lag in this game? Feels like it has got a fair amount if it. I know it's not my TV, which is set to game mode and has only 14-15ms of lag (Leo Bodnar). Other than that it's brilliant. Just tying to get use to the controls.

Ellite25

Maybe I'm an idiot but I don't understand the nemesis system. You're supposed to be able to control certain enemies and create an army right? Cuz I have no clue how to do that. The only option I ever have is to just kill them, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Ade

Maybe I'm an idiot but I don't understand the nemesis system. You're supposed to be able to control certain enemies and create an army right? Cuz I have no clue how to do that. The only option I ever have is to just kill them, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Keep playing...

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member

The "branding" ability isn't available early in the game.

Oublieux

Well... it will take a while before you are actually able to do that. The Nemesis system slowly opens up over time with more variations on what you can do.

Garuda1One

just took out one of the most annoying captain, level 20, killed me literally dozens of timee !! literally !, i was waiting for an epic ruin coming from him, but nopee.. just some shitty (insert percentage) refill focus thing.. played about hour or two, then got death threat...............

i really wish i have it earlier before killing him.... to bad i chopped his head :(

overcast

Just beat it, had a great time, going to platinum it by the time I get Bayonetta.

The last few missions sucked.
Those "bosses" lmao.

Just watched "all cutscenes the movie" on youtube and I found it more enjoyable than any of the LOTR films except maybe Smaug film because it was a more complete "film".

When I upgrade my PC I will be playing this.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see a free skin but Season Pass owners would want to be hoping for a bunch of unique one's seeing as though it's one of the listed features.

*Looks quite cool in game.

XoA2D4O.jpg

That is nice, the game required a dark/grim character to match Orc filled gameworld.

Well the DLC was worth it to go back for a little bit, just to get those last challenges done and 100% the game.

It also gave me a reason to try out the Photo mode and gotta say, it's way more advanced than I thought it would be. It's a really neat feature and many more games should use it.

Ramenman

30 hours in still love the game.

I think I still have 1 or 2 story missions to complete the campaign. Things I'll do next : more death threats for more epic runes (a friend of mine dropped one I'm quite jealous of), more vendettas for everyone (more of my friends have started to play it), + those fighting missions for the weapons that I haven't done that much of.

Also, completing the puzzle collectible probably.

I didn't even know some DLC was out.

is Test of Wisdom basically a fight arena with a scoring system ? Is it several pre-made rooms à la Batman Arkham City challenge rooms or more procedural waves thrown at you until you die ? Something else entirely ?

Skux

Oh wow branding is super fun and gives the game a whole new mood based on infiltration and subverting the enemy from within. I love the whole sleeper agent vibe it brings.

I branded two captains that were bodyguards of a warchief, then drew the warchief out of his Stronghold, complete with intro chants. Little did he know he was flanked by two of my sleeper agents. I activated them and they went nuts, I joined the battle and took on some grunts but didn't even have to fight the warchief before he died to my two captains.

Seeing your converted captains just walking around in the game world is great too, they can even help you on slave/weapon missions by creating distractions for the enemy.

Death threats are your friend! Make sure you use them as much as possible. They help balance out your OP move set by making battles harder and also getting you more epic runes.

pubba

This is hands down my GOTY so far. In fact, it's my favourite game since the original Crackdown on 360. What a complete surprise! I'm not even bothered by how tedious the side missions are. I've been playing for almost 50 hours and have just now opened up the 2nd area.

I would have stayed longer in the first area, but I've already unlocked all the abilities and some (such as branding) are locked until you finish certain story missions.

Seriously.. I can't say how much I love this game. I've even taken days off work to just hunker down and play all day. The story, tone, graphics, sound.. All fantastic.

I hope it gets a sequel with more diverse side missions. Apart from that it's the first game that has justified my PS4 purchase.

So I didn't realize there would be another area to play through until I did the mission to go there... I guess I shouldn't have been grinding because I maxed out power, got most of the best runes and have all the abilities except the ones that are locked behind story missions with the points to get the two that are locked behind them. Oops, I have a bad habit of doing this stuff.

Open world freedom and all that but I kind of wish I was forced to really move on with the story now with the game maybe blocking new Warlords and captains from being created until further into the story or at least Warlords.

But eh, at least now I can pretty much smash my way through the second half of the game and I still have a bunch of upgrades to get so I guess there's that, already unlocked Storm of Urfael and Shadow of Acharn.

PS4 version here. Anyone notice the input lag in this game? Feels like it has got a fair amount if it. I know it's not my TV, which is set to game mode and has only 14-15ms of lag (Leo Bodnar). Other than that it's brilliant. Just tying to get use to the controls.

Yes. I'm experiencing it on the XB1 and others are on the PC.

It doesn't feel like regular input lag, like what would be caused by a TV, but not everyone is experiencing it, so...

The only time I think I've noticed it is when pressing the prompts to roll over orcs in combat and when I'm running around and get a prompt to press to run faster. I noticed it was much worse in the pc version than the ps4 for me.

Ellite25

Well... it will take a while before you are actually able to do that. The Nemesis system slowly opens up over time with more variations on what you can do.
Thanks guys. I'm about 4 hours in, I assumed the think would be fully opened up by now haha I've been doing a lot of side missions though

Thanks guys. I'm about 4 hours in, I assumed the think would be fully opened up by now haha I've been doing a lot of side missions though

This is a problem many of us have run into, the game's systems don't really open up until the first missions of the second area but you're distracted by all the sidequests so it takes a loooong time to get there.

It's better to get the better part of the story missions out of the way before you mess about with the open world.

Unai

Yeah, I think that when I play this again I will go through the main quest until I get branding and that shadow thing to ride caragours like a boss.

BouncyFrag

I'm out of town and this dlc, even if it's just a skin, makes me miss this game. I had just started a new game running around messing with captains which is still a ton if fun.

Sirim

Love the lighting and art direction in this game during the different times of days.

2014-10-2219_19_18g8qhn.gif
The game really is beautiful.

I have to say, at first I was a little disappointed in this title. But the game really does skyrocket in quality and fun once the nemesis system unlocks fully. Surely an amazing game, though with its share of flaws and it takes a while to get going.

It's been a while since I've been so addicted to a game.

To everyone feeling like putting this game down, KEEP PLAYING.

You'll be rewarded ten-fold once you get a little bit into the second area.

Yes. I'm experiencing it on the XB1 and others are on the PC.

It doesn't feel like regular input lag, like what would be caused by a TV, but not everyone is experiencing it, so...

I've noticed it too on the PC version, usually when fighting a good number of orcs.

Speaking of which, I kind of wish areas had a set population allowing you to wipe out strongholds and whatever instead of getting the occasional instance of seemingly endless waves when the alert goes out.

Had a strange situation with the 4th war chief that you must kill to get to the new area.

Really I didn't have any hope, there were a ton of orcs, another 3 chiefs and me running around and trying to find a way to damage him with explosions (he had fast health regen) but had pretty much used up any more explosion opportunities.

He almost killed me with multiple projectiles as I was running away, and I had that last chance QTE, and succeeded. And killed him with the reaction. Just like that.

It seemed a bit of an odd victory. I could have basically let him drive my health to zero, win the QTE and kill him, at full health?

Skux

It seemed a bit of an odd victory. I could have basically let him drive my health to zero, win the QTE and kill him, at full health?

I suppose it's a legitimate strategy, but it carries the risk that you'll fail and make the warchief even stronger.

You may also encounter captains with the "No Last Chance" strength that makes this tactic impossible.

So, is it impossible to start a new game without it being New Game+? I tried starting a game last night and I started with all my skills.

There are multiple save slots you can use.

Ellite25

This is a problem many of us have run into, the game's systems don't really open up until the first missions of the second area but you're distracted by all the sidequests so it takes a loooong time to get there.

It's better to get the better part of the story missions out of the way before you mess about with the open world.
Yeah I think from here on I'll focus on the story missions until all the systems open up since it sounds like that's when the game gets really good. Thanks.

Top Bottom