• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway Deceives the GameCube Audience (MK:Deception on GC)

They will pay for this, oh they will pay sales wise for such a dumb decision, 2005? get a f''king clue idiots.

As a Nintendo fan, i feel betrayed and disrespected by shitway

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Now they'll have an excuse for the next MK game when they decide they won't make it for a Nintendo console because of poor sales

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I wonder what "exclusive" box arts the Gamecube version will get, if any. Meh, I don't even care about the game on any system. I'm just glad they didn't screw over Mortal Kombat fans that only have one system.

snapty00

Banned
norinrad21 said:
They will pay for this, oh they will pay sales wise for such a dumb decision, 2005? get a f''king clue idiots.

As a Nintendo fan, i feel betrayed and disrespected by shitway
Wow.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
jarrod said:
Who wants to bet GC also gets BurnOut 3 next year?
Doubt it, but this is one case where I'd like to be proven wrong.

At least now the loss of MK1 out of MAT2 is a bit more justified.

Seriously. I don't think that's reasonable either.

Deku Tree

That page loads empty for me... yes it loads, but there is no article about the GC on it.
And I couldn't find anything about MK on the GC on their index of articles.

Not doubting you though, just pointing out my experience.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Yeah it loads up empty for me too, they may have removed the article.

FoneBone

rawk said:
Didn't Matt from IGN hint about this in a recent N-Query?
Yes, he did, which leads me to believe this is real. Unfortunately, releasing it so late will inevitably result in the GC version bombing, so Midway will permanently abandon GC -- it's a no-win situation.

Ristamar

FoneBone said:
Yes, he did, which leads me to believe this is real. Unfortunately, releasing it so late will inevitably result in the GC version bombing...

Yes, this is probably true. MIDWAY = TEH IDOTS.

BuddyC

Yea, the article got pulled because Midway wants to do the PR first. Ooops.

The March date is just a placeholder, all we know is 2005.

Laurent

Is Midway hard at work to launch the arcade version of this game? Or do they follow Tecmo's lead by not supporting the arcade business anymore?

jarrod

Banned
Laurent said:
Is Midway hard at work to launch the arcade version of this game? Or do they follow Tecmo's lead by not supporting the arcade business anymore?
Actually, Midway dropped aracdes first.

I'm still surprised we never saw an enhanced Chihiro release of DOA3 though, it would've been easy money for Tecmo. :/

Laurent

jarrod said:
Actually, Midway dropped aracdes first.

I'm still surprised we never saw an enhanced Chihiro release of DOA3 though, it would've been easy money for Tecmo. :/
Itagaki told G4TechTV in a recent episode of ICONS that the arcade business was dead, and they rather work on one version only, and that was the X-Box incarnation...

Are they a lot of arcade games using the Chihiro architecture?

jarrod

Banned
Laurent said:
Itagaki told G4TechTV in a recent episode of ICONS that the arcade business was dead, and they rather work on one version only, and that was the X-Box incarnation...
Heh, maybe he's just sick of being bested by AM2 and Namco? They seem to be doing great in arcades....

Laurent said:
Are they a lot of arcade games using the Chihiro architecture?
So far...

CHIHIRO (Sega owned, licensed from Microsoft)
-Crazy Taxi: High Roller (Hitmaker) also on XBox/PC
-Ghost Squad (Sega-AM2)
-House of the Dead III (Wow Entertainment) also on XBox
-Ollie King (Amusement Vision)
-Outrun 2 (Sega-AM2) also on XBox
-Sega Golf Club Network Pro Tour (Sega-AM2)
-Sega Network Taisen MJ-2 (Sega-AM2)
-Virtua Cop 3 (Sega-AM2)

Subitai

They need a Nintendo character in the game if they're looking for the success of SCII. It won't happen, so Midway must just be going for low hanging fruit with an inexpensive port.

rawk

Subitai said:
They need a Nintendo character in the game if they're looking for the success of SCII. It won't happen, so Midway must just be going for low hanging fruit with an inexpensive port.

I guess it's cheaper to port it later, but they would have made a lot more money releasing this game at the same time as the other versions.

Maybe they'll lower the price or something. They should make the old MKs downloadable to the GBA.

Meier

They should put Ganon or Oni Link in it... but I dont think Nintendo would want one of those characters attached to such a gory game and as such there is no chance it will happen.

jarrod

Banned
Subitai said:
Mortal Kombat DA did pretty well on GameCube without a SC2 style hook (400k Vs 650k for SC2)... though the later release will definitely hurt sales. Midway should consider adding extra content for this release (and call it Director's Kut or something), maybe doing a PSP version at the same time too to save costs.... otherwise I don't see it doing half as well as the original. :/

I wonder if Midway's planning any other surprise GC ports besdies MK Defiance & AC Treasures 2?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
i still dont understand why online components are left off of gamecube versions of games.. is it really that hard to have the same servers work for the cube and the ps2?

jarrod

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
i still dont understand why online components are left off of gamecube versions of games.. is it really that hard to have the same servers work for the cube and the ps2?
Nope, in fact I believe Midway even uses GameSpy for their PS2 stuff... 3rd parties won't support GC online mainly because Nintendo won't support it themselves. The technology and tools have been there awhile, and PSO even carved out a decent little userbase to get things started (probably 300-600k)...

AirBrian

jarrod said:
Nope, in fact I believe Midway even uses GameSpy for their PS2 stuff... 3rd parties won't support GC online mainly because Nintendo won't support it themselves. The technology and tools have been there awhile, and PSO even carved out a decent little userbase to get things started (probably 300-600k)...
300-600K?! I hadn't realized it's that high. Even if it's only 300K, that's a third of XBL users but for only 2 games.

xsarien

daedsiluap
jarrod said:

That's silly, if not completely counter-productive. Say for a moment that the tools for interfacing with the GameCube network adapter are available (I've always heard otherwise, hence the lack of support despite Gamespy), and Nintendo, the company that could concievably support an entire system themselves, isn't using it.

Doesn't that give 3rd parties the opportunity to take the spotlight for themselves? If Nintendo were developing online games, wouldn't 3rd parties just moan about Nintendo hogging all of the sales? Is there an actual win-win situation for NCL?

evil ways

Maybe they will add GBA connectivity and you'll get randomly generated phrases on the GBA screen like for example "That was cool man" or "Good game, but I'll beat you next time" to give the impression of online play.

Link316

Banned
rawk said:
I guess it's cheaper to port it later, but they would have made a lot more money releasing this game at the same time as the other versions.

the PS2 and Xbox versions sell more so its better to get them out the door first than to work on all 3 versions simultaneously and risk a delay

evil ways

quadriplegicjon said:
exactly my thoughts.. i dont understand it.

how many online 1st party games are there on the ps2?

Socom 1 & 2, Everquest Online, Champions of Norrath, ATV Offroad 2 and coming soon GT4, and Ratchet & Clank 3

Top Bottom