• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway Deceives the GameCube Audience (MK:Deception on GC)

jarrod

Banned
Link316 said:
the PS2 and Xbox versions sell more so its better to get them out the door first than to work on all 3 versions simultaneously and risk a delay
Sure but they managed it with Dark Alliance and sales there were great for all three then (1.2M PS2, 500k XB, 400k GC)... I think Midway really didn't expect Nintendo to be doing as well as they have, hence AC Treasures 2 and Defiance suddenly coming out of nowhere after they publicly dropped support. I wonder if NARC or Area 51 might show up too?

FoneBone

xsarien said:
Not always the case, and a GameCube delay will just force that scenario.
True, but let's be fair -- "mature" games of this ilk, even when released simultaneously on all platforms, consistently sell better on Xbox than on GC.

ghostface

norinrad21 said:
They will pay for this, oh they will pay sales wise for such a dumb decision, 2005? get a f''king clue idiots.

As a Nintendo fan, i feel betrayed and disrespected by shitway
Dude, you really need to ease-up on the videogames.

xsarien

daedsiluap
FoneBone said:
True, but let's be fair -- "mature" games of this ilk, even when released simultaneously on all platforms, consistently sell better on Xbox than on GC.

I don't have the numbers on me, but I'm fairly certain that the Gamecube version of Deadly Alliance held up pretty well against the other two versions, only being slightly lower because of the overall lower installed base of the system in the U.S.

jarrod

Banned
FoneBone said:
Not by much... look at the previous Mortal Kombat...

PS2: 1.2M
XBox .5M
GC: .4M

FoneBone

I thought it had sold something like twice as much on Xbox, at least in its first month or so, but I very well could be wrong.

jedimike

It will be just like Pandora Tomorrow... late and less featured. I had no interest in MK: DA, but the XBL stuff in this one is great. The mini games will add alot to the game.

AirBrian

xsarien said:
Doesn't that give 3rd parties the opportunity to take the spotlight for themselves? If Nintendo were developing online games, wouldn't 3rd parties just moan about Nintendo hogging all of the sales? Is there an actual win-win situation for NCL?
I've never thought about it this way, but you're on to something.

However, I think this again boils down to perception -- which is circular. Third-party games released months after PS2/Xbox versions = bad sales = late or no third party games.

FoneBone

Also, that IGN interview only cites 235k in the US to date (and "over 300k" worldwide), so I'm not sure where the 400k number comes from.

I'm not trying to argue, but looking at numbers (launch numbers, anyway) for most multiplatform games, it's tough to believe GC and Xbox came that close.

The game no matter what system, is going to crash and burn. It may do well on the PS2 because userbase, I predict 400k-500k max. With all the games releasing this fall, I can understand the reasoning behind a GC port.

Link316

Banned
jarrod said:
Not by much... look at the previous Mortal Kombat...

PS2: 1.2M
XBox .5M
GC: .4M

those totals don't tell the whole story cause the bulk of the sales of the GC version didn't occur until after MKDA was heavily discounted, and during its holiday release the GC version sold nowhere near the amount as the PS2 and Xbox versions

Nov 2002
PS2 MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY NOV'02 MIDWAY 202,592
XBX MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY NOV'02 MIDWAY 104,155
GCN MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY NOV'02 MIDWAY 38,169

Dec 2002
PS2 MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY Nov-02 MIDWAY 459,076
XBX MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY Nov-02 MIDWAY 179,147
GCN MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY Nov-02 MIDWAY 80,915

Jan 2003
PS2 MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY Nov-02 MIDWAY 79,307
XBX MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY Nov-02 MIDWAY 30,097
GCN MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY Nov-02 MIDWAY 12,437

LTD sales as of June 2003
PS2 MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY MIDWAY Nov-02 873,848
XBX MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY MIDWAY Nov-02 363,035
GCN MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY MIDWAY Nov-02 156,352

M3wThr33

Banned
Just in cased you missed it in the IGN Interview:

IGN: Do you plan to include any console-specific changes for the GCN build of MK: Deception?

Steve: There will be one or two GameCube specific surprises, yes. But we won't reveal those right now. Stay tuned.

NWO

Steve: There will be one or two GameCube specific surprises, yes. But we won't reveal those right now. Stay tuned.

Reggie is going to be added as a secret character....

jarrod

Banned
Secret characters would be good but I doubt Nintendo will lend any of their IPs (Midway isn't exactly Namco)... does Midway have any bankable characters that'd fit?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
jarrod said:
Secret characters would be good but I doubt Nintendo will lend any of their IPs (Midway isn't exactly Namco)... does Midway have any bankable characters that'd fit?
The big-breasted chick from Cruisen' USA

xsarien

daedsiluap
jarrod said:

Um...er, uh...

Rampage?

M3wThr33

Banned
Well, I saw that MK:D will have a Puzzle Fighter clone in it. Maybe it'll send it to the GBA and also have a 4-player mode for it.

jarrod

Banned
Connectivity's out (even Nintendo's dropping it)... I think the two bonus features will be actual extra ingame content (secret characters most likely I'm guessing).

Sagitario

evil ways said:
Maybe they will add GBA connectivity and you'll get randomly generated phrases on the GBA screen like for example "That was cool man" or "Good game, but I'll beat you next time" to give the impression of online play.

That would be pathetic and useless...

Anyanka

I doubt they'll add anything at all to the port.

Nick from Psi-Ops would be cool, he could even just have Ermac or Kenshi's moves.

norinrad21 said:
They will pay for this, oh they will pay sales wise for such a dumb decision, 2005? get a f''king clue idiots.

As a Nintendo fan, i feel betrayed and disrespected by shitway
If they put some console exclusive goodies I'll wait it out.

Agent X

quadriplegicjon said:
exactly my thoughts.. i dont understand it.

how many online 1st party games are there on the ps2?

Here's what I can dig up from Sony Computer Entertainment America:

Amplitude
ATV Offroad Fury 2
Frequency
Hot Shots Golf Fore!
MLB 2005
My Street
NBA ShootOut 2004
NCAA Final Four 2004
NCAA GameBreaker 2004
NFL GameDay 2003
NFL GameDay 2004
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs
SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs
Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain
Twisted Metal: Black Online

They're also distributing Final Fantasy XI with the HDD.

They've also got some other big online games coming out, including Gran Turismo 4, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, ATV Offroad Fury 3, and Rise of the Kasai.

Although Sony's got a rather strong library of online games for PS2, Electronic Arts has even more online games on the system.

If you want to count Sony Online Entertainment (separate division of Sony) as first-party, then add the following:

Champions of Norrath: Realms of EverQuest
EverQuest Online Adventures
EverQuest Online Adventures: Frontiers

If you think about it Nintendo could've thrown some online in Mario Kart, F-Zero, SSB:Melee and just ran with that as their online to get people off their back. Probably wouldn't have been difficult, and they'd be ain a far better position with online 3rd party games atm.

Top Bottom